Friends to Lovers

Transcendence

Feburary had finally come and the one holiday Hanbin always dreaded followed - Valentine’s Day. 

It wasn’t that he didn’t get any chocolate (he did), he just didn’t get them from the person he wanted them from: his childhood best friend, Kim Jiwon.

Jiwon was the basketball captain, the school’s sweetheart, while Hanbin was just the school council president, equally feared and revered throughout all the grades. It was always a shock to all the students when the duo were spotted together everywhere they went. 

To put it simply, they were as different as day and night. 

Hanbin sighed, laying down on his bed as he dully flipped from side to side  He didn’t want to get up, didn’t want to go to school to be drowned in chocolate from secret admirers while also watching Jiwon get surrounded by girls trying to ask him out. 

He reluctantly made himself get ready, already knowing Jiwon would be waiting for him outside his house to walk him to school, like they always did for years. 

He got dressed and went outside after giving his mother a quick kiss on the cheek, smiling fondly when he saw that Jiwon was already at the door, grinning at him. 

“Hey, Jiwon,” Hanbin greeted softly, cocking his head as his eyes caught Jiwon’s hands behind his back and the nervous shift of his body. “What’s wrong?”

Jiwon let out a short breath. “Nothing,” he said unconvincingly, wincing at the deadpan look Hanbin sent him. 

He sheepishly brought his hands to the front and Hanbin froze in shock at the heart-shaped container he was holding. “Is that...?”

Jiwon nodded, “I’m planning on confessing to my crush, so I won’t be able to walk you home after school today, Bin. Sorry.” He looked so apologetic and Hanbin couldn’t get mad at him, even as he felt his heart breaking.

”Oh,” he said in response, trying to control his wavering voice, “that’s sweet of you. It’s fine, I won’t die from walking home alone just one day.”

Jiwon grinned gratefully at him, even though he seemed a bit disappointed from Hanbin’s reaction. Hanbin wasn’t sure what Jiwon was looking for, but he swore to be happy for him once his crush accepted him. 

There was no way someone as loved as Jiwon would get rejected. 

-

Hanbin couldn’t stop thinking about who Jiwon would confess to. It was the end of the day already and Hanbin felt like he was going crazy trying to figure it out. Was it Kim Jinhwan, the school idol Jiwon and him were good friends with? Goo Junhoe, the handsome troublemaker Jiwon always seemed flustered around? Kim Donghyuk, the smartest and sweetest boy in school? Who could it be? 

His mind was occupied as he walked to his locker and opened it, barely catching a slip of paper that had fallen out the moment he opened the metal frame. 

He gently opened it up, reading the note. 

Kim Hanbin, please come to the back of the school after the last bell rings. I’ve really liked you for a long time now and I want to confess to you. - Your secret admirer

Hanbin felt bad, no matter who this person was, if it wasn’t Jiwon, there was no way Hanbin could accept them. He took a deep breath and decided to go. It would be crueler to never show up. 

He walked to the back of the school and sat down on the old stone bench there, quietly waiting for the person he would inevitably have to turn down. 

A rustling noise came from behind him and he stood up, an apology on his lips as he turned around. His voice gave out when he saw Jiwon behind him, the same nervous gait to him like this morning. 

“Jiwon...?” Hanbin asked in confusion, “What are you doing here?”

”I’m here to confess to my crush,” Jiwon answered back, voice trembling.

”But I’m the only one here? Are you still waiting?”

Jiwon gaped at him in slight disbelief before laughing incredulously. “Hanbin,” he began gently before walking up to him and putting the chocolates in his hand, “I’m here to confess to you.” 

Hanbin gasped, barely holding onto the sweets. “W-what?” Jiwon looked at him so fondly in return. 

“I’ve been in love with you for years now, and I was hoping you felt the same about me.”

Hanbin started smiling back at him, raising a hand to rest on Jiwon’s cheek. Jiwon looked at him hopefully and Hanbin nodded at him. 

“I’ve had a major crush on you for a long time too,” Hanbin answered him, leaning forward to kiss Jiwon’s cheek softly. 

Jiwon grinned brightly, “Does this mean you’ll be my boyfriend?” Hanbin laughed. 

“Yes, you silly boy,” he replied before kissing him passionately on the lips.