Prologue : 'The Scholarship'

Red Card
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Woohyun's POV

 

Today my exam results will be announced! Oh, I can't wait to see the results. Although it's not a school exam, it's very important to me. Because you know what? That's the result of the scholarship exam I'm assignment.

 

If in this final exam I managed to pass, then it's not gonna vain my efforts following a series of scholarship selection for the last three months. Which, quite tiring and racking my brains.

 

Oh yeah, gosh, I forgot to introduce myself, sorry.

 

Anyeonghaseyo yeorobun, Nam Woohyun imnida. I'm a 11th grader at Sinhan High School. A school that stands in a corner of my lovely city, Seoul. It's not a grand and elite school—very simple actually and only consists of three floors—but that's where I studied for a year and four months ‘till now.

 

But, even though I love schooling at Sinhan, honestly I want to be a part of Seoul's elite and grandest school, people call it Infinity High School. I heard, if you were graduate from that school, it would be easy to enroll in any college you like.

 

Of course I'm interested. Moreover, Seoul University—my dream campus—will instantly receive IHS graduates who register there without the need for any tests or interviews!

 

Isn’t that cool? In fact Seoul University has a high standard for prospective students.

 

Three months ago, our math teacher as well as our homeroom teacher—Kang-ssaem—offered a scholarship form in the class. Hearing that it was a scholarship from Infinity High, I immediately asked him quickly about the form.

 

But unfortunately, none of my classmates seemed interested in trying the test. In fact, it seems, from the whole students in my schools, only me and two students from another class who interested.

 

Jimin—my seatmate—said, getting into the elite school was only a daydream. He said it would be better if we just enjoy schooling at the current school.

 

I agree with what Jimin’s said actually. Infinity is famous for its students who come from the top quality. Not a few of those who became the sole heir of a company, business, or family property. It's like a school inhabited by young prospective conglomerates.

 

"I can’t help it," I told Jimin at that time. "Besides, the scholarship exam is free."

 

Jimin laughed at my reply, "I'm not going to take that awful exam, even though it's free, Woohyun. The school exams alone almost killed me every weeks."

 

"You just lazy." I mocked, tipping him slowly. "When do you want to 'get on to the future' if you keep this bad attitude of you?"

 

He just answered me by scrambling my hair that I had difficulty setting in the morning. "Let it be." He said. "Let me be lazy, It doen’t really matter right now. You know, I'm very handsome and cool and kind and good-looking and cool and—"

 

"Okay, okay, stop it." I silenced his over confident mouth. "Shut up, Jimin-ah, I have to fill this form before it has to be collected to Kang-ssaem this afternoon."

 

***

 

And finally, three months passed ...

 

From the initial test, the three of us—I, Taehyung and Namjoon who took the test—still survive to the second test. But, because Namjoon lacks the score to pass to the next test, he failed. And after weeks later, Taehyung also failed on the fifth test.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter