Chapter 9. Wonder family

not so in love

Usually Irene would never bother to dress up for family dinner. Today was exception. If she was going to face her ex which would marry her sister this year she wouldn’t let them see how pathetic she was. Miserable? Well, may be but never pathetic. So, she wore her best dress and put light make up to enhance her beauty.

She wanted to make statement, ‘I am better without you even if you married my sister’. And she read somewhere that when you want to confront someone make sure you stand taller than them. Well, she could never grow up few more inches-that a dream she gave up years ago- so she wore 7 inches heels.

With full confidence she got ready to face her worst nightmare. 

“Hello Irene.” She said to her own reflection. “You are an educated woman you can act civil with your jerk ex boyfriend. You are a successful woman, you would show them how much you worth without being petty.” She sighed heavily.

She hoped she wouldn’t dump another drink to Bogum head. Well, she didn’t have feeling toward Bogum again but she still found him annoying to some degree, and dating your ex sister was a jerk move. Very jerk move and unforgiveable.

The happy families were sitting in round table with her parents sat across Bogum’s parents. While Bogum held her sister’s hand and looked nauseatingly happy, she felt that she walked into purgatory.

“I am sorry I’m late.” Irene put the best neutral tone she could afford.

All the eyes on her but she pretended to be more confident than what she felt right now, She sat beside her sister. “It’s okay.” Bogum smiled back at her, long time ago that smile would make her stomach churn in pleasant way but right now it made her wanted to punch him.

“Where were you?” her mother hissed. 

Irene smiled, she would act civil even if it killed her, and she would make first attack. So, when the time come they would talk about her past, they would never pity her. They would see her as a woman that throw her ex for better career. 
 
“I work to this new project to get new promotion.” She said proudly.
 
“Promotion?” Bogum asked.
 
Irene threw a smug smile, she raised her brow, “Does my mother not tell you that I’m working at KS group company?” Ha take that! If they only talked about old spinster she was, she should know that this old spinster worked in the one of the biggest company in the land of South Korea.
 
Bogum’s mother gasped, “Wow, that’s so great! Why you never tell us this?” his mother asked Irene mother.
 
Her mother laughed awkwardly, “I don’t want to brag.” She pretended to be humble, but she glared at Irene which implied that she didn’t appreciate that Irene failed to mention this during their conversation (which is probably one sided speech about Irene failure become traditional woman, so it wasn’t Irene fault that she couldn’t mention it.)
 
“You should brag about this.” Bogum’s mother said. “This is great!” 
 
“But of course not as great as our kids wedding!” her mother interjected, “I am so happy we can be in law.” She added cheerfully.
 
“It makes us happy too.” Bogum’s father said diplomatically. “Soo-bin is a nice girl, and we like your family.” 
 
Her mother giggled, “Thank you. We like your family too.” Well, of course Irene mother loved Bogum’s family, his family was one of the richest family in their community with those textile factory inherited from generation to generation. Their family could be traced until Silla era. And it’s her mother hidden desire to  marry upperclass.
Irene rolled her eyes, “I prefer if Soo-bin can finish her education first.” Thanks god, the voice of sanity. Her father looked so grim.
 
“But I don’t want to!” Soo-bin whined. “I want to get married with Oppa soon!” She latched to Bogum’s arm. Bogum patted Soo-bin hair and nuzzled it. “I don’t want to have kids when I am old and wrinkled.” 
 
Was it only her or that Jab directed to her? Her sister lived with her mother too long, so she definitely affected with her mother signature eye glance -The glance that imply that 28 is old-
 
“You will not be old and wrinkle after you finish college.” Irene mumbled.
 
“Yes but we plan to have 3 kids. Do you know that our country really need its citizens to raise birth rate?” her sister shot back.
 
“I don’t mind to have kids after Soo-bin graduate.” Bogum cut diplomatically, “But I would love to start as soon as possible.” 
 
Bogum’s father nodded, “Right. If you are too old you never can play with your kids. You know the backache.” He signaled to his back. “You want to be able to carry your kids not only making it.”
 
The table laughed, which Irene probably didn’t get it why. This was her sister life they talked about. Why did it always revolve around having kids and lived happily ever after.
 
“How about your dream? You know your goal.” Irene hated that she had to play the bitter sister act, but no one seemed really care about this issue. “Your education?”
 
Her sister shrugged. “It changes after I date Bogum oppa. I realize that money couldn’t buy happiness.” 
 
Her mother glared at her, “Of course. You don’t have to be money obsess woman to be happy.” She felt no qualm to restrain herself from attacking Irene life choice. Which was probably why Her mother could buy the Kate Spade bag and Jimmy Choo shoes, “One of the greatest joy in every woman life is when they have babies. Oh, I remember when I first saw my baby.” Her mother said in dreamy voice.
 
Irene never doubted her mother was really happy when she carried her. But Her mother just felt upset after Irene dumped Bogum who notably was the most eligible bachelor in his community. 
 
Irene started to grow irritated by the conversation flow, it felt like the only important thing was Marriage and children. It also didn’t help to watch Bogum and her sister all over each other, and her sister latched to Bogum like a possum. Nope, Irene wasn’t jealous, she just thought Bogum is a jerk s who hindered her sister education.
“How about you Irene?” Bogum mother asked.
 
Irene raised her head, “Sorry. What?” 
 
“When would you get married? You are same age as Bogum, no?” Crap!! DAMN! The time came where they would talk to her like old spinster.
 
So, she quoted words that inspired her, “My life is bountiful, I don’t need boyfriend to make me feel complete.” Thanks god, or Blair Waldorf or anyone who created the perfect show  called gossip girls.
 
“Beautiful you mean.” Bogum tried to correct her.
 
“No, bountiful.” She emphasize. “Do you know that mean?” she couldn’t resist to attack Bogum subtly. 
 
Bogum frowned, “Of course I know.” He said.
 
“Oppa is a professor in university.” Soo-bin chimed.
 
Bogum shook his head, “Not a professor, honey. Just occasional lecturer in my alumni.” He corrected.
 
“Well, same thing. You teach anyway,” Oh my god, her sister was Idiot, how could this girl even graduate from high school? She saw Bogum like he hung every stars on sky.  “And I like it when you teach.” She flirted. Oh my god, turned out she was the idiot. Her sister was really the sly fox. They are match from heaven.
 
“But you will need boyfriend if you want to get married.” Bogum’s mother said. “You are smart and beautiful, I am sure lot of men queue to get your attention. One day when you are older you will realize how lonely is your life without family to care of.”
 
“You go tell her,” Her mother sneered. “I told her thousand times but she never listens. Do your friends have any son? If they have please introduce our Joohyun.” 
 
“Eomma!” Irene hollered.
 
Of course, her mother did the usual things she do, she ignored Irene damn opinion. She swore she should never attend any family dinner ever. It felt like walking straight into purgatory.
 
Was it too late to walk out right now? Irene knew it would be rude to do so, but she would rather getting hit by car (well not really, and please any deities above don’t make it happen) rather than sit here any longer. 
 
“I need to use rest room, excuse me!” Irene grabbed her purse and walked away. She ignored any weird stare from the table occupant. God, what did she do so wrong in life until you punish her like this?
 
She knew that it wouldn’t be so pleasant dinner but that was pure torture. She didn’t deserve this. Irene just hope anyone could save her from this torture. She promised that she would do anything for that person.
 
But Universe loved to give the biggest ‘ you’ for her when she bumped someone shoulder. Before Irene apologizes the stranger smiled widely, and damn! The smile that made her heart skip a bit. 
 
“Joohyun noona.” Kim Freaking Taehyung was standing in front of her. “What are you doing here?” 
 
“Eer….having dinner?” she said lamely. 
 
“Alone?”
 
She hoped so too, but before Irene informed Taehyung, someone  cut them out.
 
“Taehyung, are you coming?” a middle age man called Taehyung. He was looked exactly like Kim Taehyung. “And who is this young lady?”
 
“Appa, this is Joohyun noona. Noona, this is my father.” Taehyung said cheerfully, “Do you want to join us?” he offered generously.
 
Taehyung father smiled, “Come on, join us, your mother would be so happy to have female friends. As your sister is still in her dorm.” Were all this family members like this? So….sunny and bubbly.
 
She felt so gloomy in their presence.
 
“Come on, join us. We will be so happy.” Taehyung looked at her. It was the puppy eyes again. Damn! Did he know that he had this kind of effect for everyone? How could someone say no to him?
 
Family dinner or join family of the boy she barely knew. The answer should be obvious if she  was normal. Irene who prided himself as normal woman had to choose her damn family, but at the same time the chance to escape was dangling like forbidden fruit.
 
Irene was saved from the obligation to answer when her mother came, “What are you doing here? We need to go to the rest room.” She hooked Irene’s arm. Irene gave apologetic smile as her mother pulled her to the rest room.
 
Taehyung looked so sad, it was like he watched her to be dragged by the witch and he was powerless to save her. (DAMN! Her old childhood illusion started to cloud her brain, one of the proof how dangerous Kim Taehyung is!) Irene braced her self, it  wasn’t time to mull over Kim Taehyung sad (but hot) appearance. She had to face the witch.
***
Taehyung couldn’t take his eyes off from Irene’s table. He saw her back became so tense and he could sense her discomfort. Taehyung hoped Irene would ditch them and join him for dinner.
 
“What do you think, hyung?” his brother asked. Jeon-gyu.
 
“Sorry, what?” Taehyung tilted his head. He had to rip his eyes from Irene. 
 
Jeon-gyu rolled his eyes, “Please keep your ear on the conversation if you can keep your eyes off that table.” Jeon gyu said. 
 
Taehyung frowned, “Don’t sass me!” Taehyung said.
 
“Then you should pay attention to what I say. Hyung, you are really pathetic.” Jeon gyu shook his head.
 
Taehyung looked at his parents, “Are you going to let him talk like that to me?” he whined. “Eomma, you always say we need to respect older people.” 
 
His mother laughed, “Yes, but I never teach you to lie either.” 
 
“Appa!” he turned to his father.
 
His father shook his head, “Jeon-gyu, don’t talk to your brother like that.” Taehyung smiled smugly. Just like he expected his father always on his side, Taehyung stuck out his tongue childishly, “Even though you are right too. Taehyung you are pathetic.”
 
Jeongyu stuck his tongue back. “Appa!!” Taehyung whined, “I am not pathetic.” 
 
“Well, you stare dreamily at her back for the last 30 minutes and she hasn’t even once glance back. Do you still think you are not pathetic?” Jeongyu said in matter of fact tone.
 
Taehyung pouted. Well, if you say like that, it may seem so pathetic but what could Taehyung do? Even her back profile is so beautiful. Irene had nice hair, and nice shoulder. It wasn’t Taehyung fault, that his eyes refused to let her go. His eyes had this illness that make them failed to cooperate with his brain.
 
“What should I do?” he asked them.
 
Jeon gyu rolled his eyes and muttered something sassy which was Taehyung tune out, her mother smiled in motherly manner, her father shrugged, “Text her.” He said.
 
“Wait! Don’t you think this weird?” Jeon gyu frowned, “My twenty two years olf brother still need parental advice to woo his first love, god, this is so lame and uncool.” 
 
“Ssh, Jeon gyu. Be grateful your brother finally awakening his uality.” His father shushed him. “Your mother and I worried that we have one aual kid.” His father nodded in approval. 
 
“Appa!!” Taehyung hissed. He didn’t know that His parent thought that low about him. It wasn’t Taehyung fault that his schoolmates are not attractive. Well, at least in his eyes.
 
“Well, nothing wrong with aual but we would be so happy to get grandchild from you.” His mother jested.
 
If Taehyung was drinking something, he should have choked or sputtered out all of his mouth contain.  “Eomma!” He felt his face flushed into several shade of red. Thanks god, he had tan skin so his blush couldn’t be seen from across table.
 
Well, it would be so nice to have a kid with Irene eyes and her skin color but before he could imagine the happy family which would live in the white house near the beach with white fence, he needed to face the first hurdle. How to text her.
 
‘You can join our table if you don’t enjoy your companions .’ As soon as Taehyung pressed the send button, he wanted to slap himself. Oh my god, Irene would think he is a creep because he keep staring at her (well, even though it kinda true)
 
‘How do you know that I don’t enjoy the companions?’ 
 
Taehyung bit his lower lips, what should he say? He didn’t want to appear so inexperience but he didn’t want Irene thinks he was staring. 
 
He wanted to be cool and collected. Taehyung was gullible in romance, but he knew that girl didn’t like a lame boy. He understood now why Jimin had to pretend to be  cool and calm when his girlfriend called(which was right after they wrestled to determine who will get the best game console, and Taehyung won, okay?)
 
‘You don’t touch your food, and you are tense.’ 
 
Instinctively Irene touched her neck and she turned around to look at Taehyung. Taehyung held his breath but he lift the corner of his lips anyway to show that he was calm and composed. Irene looked at him suspiciously before typing something on her phone.
 
His phone vibrated briefly. He didn’t know that his finger could move that fast but he swiped the screen in less then 1 second. 
 
‘Am I that obvious?’
 
‘Not really.’ He replied, before adding, ‘only if you really pay attention.’
 
‘oh. And you give me your attention?’ 
 
Taehyung couldn’t help but to blush. Damn, he ruined his cool image by telling her that he paid too much attention. Well, but Taehyung couldn’t help it, it wasn’t like he keep searching on her, Irene was sitting in front of his peripheral. (Damn, who would believe that? Even if Irene sat in darkest corner of restaurant Taehyung would find a way to see her.)
 
‘Your table is right in front of my eyes, noona. Of course I see you. You should just move here.’
 
‘Cannot. It’s family dinner with my sister fiancée.”
 
‘Oh. And you are upset?’
 
‘Not upset.’
 
‘Then why are you so tense?’ 
 
Oops. Was it too much? Did he just step the boundaries? Did he intrude her privacy? If Taehyung could retract the message he would, but it seemed Irene had read it because she glance at him, Taehyung gave her the best apologetic smile which Irene ignored.
 
Taehyung’s heart dropped to his stomach. Before it clenched painfully inside his ribcage. He almost jumped in happiness when Irene message flashed in the screen. She wasn’t upset. Taehyung wanted to pump his fist to the air but he didn’t do that because Jeon gyu would make unnecessary remark which probably dampen his mood. 
 
‘Because my sister hasn’t graduate from college yet and there is big possibility she won’t ever do.’
 
“Hyung, can you flirt later?” Jeon gyu asked in his bored tone. “Because it is very nauseating to see you love sick like this.
 
“I am not love sick!” he denied it too quick “And I am not flirting!”
 
“Yeah? Then why you have this disgusting grin on your face everytime you see your phone?”
****