Chapter 6. Noona is so pretty

not so in love

Having good instinct was proven bad in Irene case. Right now, she was thinking not to go home in her lovely apartment. She had this foreboding feeling that she would better off from her apartment. But unfortunately tomorrow she had this important meeting with the board council. Changmin would kill her if she arrived with the same cloth.

Irene pushed the elevator button and waiting for its close by itself. She leaned on the elevator wall and sighing heavily.

“You want some Lemon candy?” she looked at the prettiest elf boy on earth. He smiled widely. Ah, Irene recognized him. The neighbor that they called fairy just moved back from abroad -or mythical land whichever that suit for you-

He held a box of lemon candy to Irene. His smile was bright and sunny, “thanks.” Irene popped the candy into . She was remained of some commercial which she saw when she was high school.

She squinted her eyes, “Hey, are you the lemon candy boy from TV commercial years ago?” she asked.

He laughed sheepishly and scratch his nape, “yes. Long time ago..before I moved to Australia,” he admitted.

“Wow. And I thought it just commercial but you actually love lemon candy.” Irene mumbled.

“Well, you can’t help to love it if you only have lemon candy supplies in your apartment when you were broke.” 

Irene laughed as she could relate to this boy. You would never know the horror when you realized you were broke and in the threat of famine. You could eat anything that left in your apartment as long as it’s edible. Irene shuddered as she remembered she had to eat the leftover frozen pizza  . “So, it’s the payment? Whole life supplies of lemon candy.”

The man shrugged, “This and that.”  He said, “I think you need some candy when I saw you are sighing like your whole world is going to crumble”
 
Irene didn’t know why but she felt she could trust this man. She squinted her eyes, was it because the lemon candy? Or because this man suddenly appeared like he was Fairy godparents for her. Well, whatever the reason she wanted to tell him.
 
(Well, most of the factor may be because she had zero social life, well, she even didn’t remember when was the last time she had friend to about. So when she saw him, she saw opportunity to . Hey plus he gave her lemon candy)
 
“No, but I get this bad feeling. Like you know typhoon gonna blown me away.”
 
The man chuckled, “well, I know that feeling. May be you should start building some barricade,” 
 
Irene grimaced, “I don’t think it will work. The typhoon has crowbar and power of mother. I doubted unless any divine intervention stop her anything will work.”
 
The man laughed, “Well, that is family for you. Stuck like gum.” He turned to her and extended his hand. “this my floor. Nice to meet you, my name is Lee Sungjong.” 
 
Ah the fairy name was Lee Sungjong, Irene smiled back. “Irene.” And then she realized a ring on Sungjong finger. Before she could hold herself she blurted, “You are married?”
 
Sungjong laughed, “Engage.” Then he left. His laughed could be still heard when the elevator door closed. Damn, why did she had to meet someone who engage as well?
 
Did singleness already extinct? Was she the only person that single? Wow, she was rare species. She doubted she could to Sungjong about her miserable life? Why was it so hard to find even a friend-especially a single one like her-? She doubted his fiancée would be thrilled if Irene talked to Sungjong.
 
Well, having Sungjong as boyfriend was a huge blow to your self esteem? Who wouldn’t? He basically prettier than you. You would be insecure too to let him meet some other girl.
 
Irene sighed as she opened her apartment door. She saw red light beeped from her phone receiver. Irene ignored it.
If she wanted to sleep tight, she needed to ignore all of the annoying real life thingy. She really needed good night sleep.
 
The last thing in Irene’s mind was that. Before she was rudely awakened by loud bang from the front door. Whoever did that had no knowledge of basic human being. Irene wanted to ignore it but she remembered her neighbor. They would kick her out if they knew the noise was from her apartment.
 
Usually she had more wisdom than opened the door directly but having only 4 hours sleep didn’t help her at all. She opened up the door and regretted instantly, “How could you, Bae Joohyun!!!” her mother shirked.
 
“What?” 
 
Her mother pushed her way in before Irene slammed the door in front of her. “I was happily waiting for a good news that you want to take part as good big sister, just for hearing you refuse to let me stay in your home. Me your own mother.” Her mother ranted.
 
“ I am so upset, so I can’t sleep. How can my own daughter whom I raised reject me.” She sat down on the couch and hit her chest like she had short of breath.
 
“So, you come directly?” Irene needed strong coffee for this, damn! It was 4 in the morning. She had meeting today, and Changmin would kill her if she arrived with less than professional façade. She doubted Changmin would accept reason like suddenly a burglar bragged into her house -Irene should call it intruder but she was in bad mood okay, burglar is the right term-
“Yes, you know. I almost have panic attack because of it.” 
 
Irene rolled her eyes of her mother dramatized tone. Well, her mother often pretend that she had panic attack ever since celebrity-which probably have the real attack- admit it on TV. 
 
“Eomma, you cannot have panic attack if you still can ride bus here.” She said.
 
“Yes I can.” Her mother glowered. “I think I raise you well, Joohyun. You should never reject your parents in your house, which you can’t have if I don’t let you study abroad. You should be thankful your father and I worked hard to pay your tuition.” 
 
Of course, you had to be thankful for your parents obligation. “I will pay for your hotel room. So you and Soo-bin could be relaxed.”
 
“For what? You have this good empty apartment, you can let us stay.” Her mother had no problem to make herself home. She sat on Irene favorite couch -damn she spent quarter of her monthly paycheck for that-now she had to cleanse the couch. “And imagine how upset am I, when actually I found out you…” her mother pointed her with her perfect trimmed nail, “only reject me.”
 
Irene rolled her eyes, “Yes I am sorry.” She decided to play along with her mother.
 
“Sorry, couldn’t solve any problem do you know I am so devastated.” Her mother continued. Irene needed her coffee right now, would her mother realized if she left her here? Irene took a step back, her mother glared. Guess she couldn’t leave her. “I read it in Internet, the rejection of people close to you can risk a physical reaction. And I feel that, I know my heart is breaking.”
 
“I think it’s your ego.” 
 
“My Ego???” oops wrong moved. Irene should know it was much wiser to let her mother ranted but Irene was never wise, if she were. She would never open the door in the first place.
 
“Let me tell you something. My ego could never been hurt again after you break up with Bogum.” Irene hated when her mother brought her ex in the conversation. If you can call it conversation, it was more like one-sided discussion and speech. “He is the definition of perfection.”
 
Bogum was a good person. Irene didn’t hate him after their broke up, okay, she kinda a little bit but that because Bogum asked her to choose between him or education in Canada. He must be lost his mind to even think he can stop Irene from pursuing higher education. Bogum wanted a meek and submissive house wife. He wanted Irene to follow him to Seoul University which was good college but not for Irene dream.
 
They had a little bit spat-okay she admitted it could make whole new definition of argument and fight-which end up with messy break up(horrible break up). After Bogum said he didn’t like woman who acted smarter than a man. (And Irene kinda dump ice Americano to Bogum face and shirt, perfectly coloring his skin to match his black heart was the last words she spatted) 
 
“He is rich, handsome and kind.” Her mother sighed, “He is also graduated from Seoul university….” Irene forgot her determination to not relying on divine power, as she prayed for someone would call her. Even it was Changmin who demanded she re-do the work. She was sick hearing her mother lament of losing the perfect son in law.
 
Irene saw her phone screen flashed, without waiting she reached her phone and picked up the call, “Oh I thought you would never pick up my phone again” she heard Ailee cheerful voice.
 
Usually she would ignore her, but this time she was the last line for her life. “Code Artemis.”  
 
Thanks god, they were Roommates during college. Code Artemis was the code they used when they needed help. Which was usually Irene did, especially during party when some leecher tried to get into her pant. Ailee would provide shelter.
 
“Umm…I would love to. But we are already that looooooong didn’t contact each other. I doubted you will only come to use me.” Ailee was still annoying little ever, “Of course I would love to help you, but you know….nothing is free.”
 
Irene gritted her teeth, “sure, I will do it , Sir.” She said as her mother eyed her suspiciously. She pretended she take the phone from her boss,
 
“mmm…how about you have to buy coffee from my café for two month everyday?” Ailee said.
 
That opportunist . “One month.”
 
“ah…ah, did I say you can bargain, Irene? Take it or leave it,” Irene knew she played right into the devil hand but her mother presence almost unbearable. Especially Now she started to recite Irene fault for breaking up with Bogum.
 
“Fine. I’ll be there.” She said.
 
“Sure, I will open the shop early.” Ailee hung up. Irene quickly shove the phone to her hand bag.
 
“Eomma, I have to go to work. My boss called me to redo our project for this morning meeting.” She knew it seemed absurb, which office had opened at 4 in the morning? but her mother didn’t need to know.
 
“It is 4 in the morning, your boss is crazy.” Her mother frowned.
 
So are you. But Irene held her tongue, “I know.”
 
“And you can’t just leave, it’s family time!!! I haven’t finished talking yet!!” family time???? It was sleeping time. Who the hell talk about ex boyfriend at 4 in the morning? Irene still preserved her sanity.
 
“I know you want Bogum as your son in law. But that didn’t mean I want him.”
 
Her mother huffed, “Don’t worry, your sister has remedied that.” Her mother let out satisfied smirk. “Didn’t she tell you? Bogum is her fiancee.”
 
What???
****
Usually Ailee was insomniac so when she couldn’t sleep at 4 in the morning, she would assume everyone else did too. So when she called Irene , she was half expecting Irene would ignore her or at least cursed her to death. So imagine how surprised she was, when Irene gave her code Artemis.
 
The goddess. It had been long time since Irene use that code. Ailee thought she already forgot about it, they were roommate and best friend during college, but at the last year of college Ailee kinda disappeared.
 
Well, that was a story for another time. Irene arrived at the front door of the café with huge eye bag, Ailee wanted to make some smart comment but Irene held her hand, “If you let me sleep until 7 I would buy coffee and breakfast here and I would get you Chris Evan poster.”  She said.
 
Well, it was a huge deal. And who was she to deny Chris Evan almightiness. “Sure. Guest room right after the stair.” She said. As Irene was no longer available to engage civil conversation (and Ailee doubted Irene wouldn’t smack her if she ) Ailee decided to recreate the menu, writing it on the board in front of the shop.
 
After rewrote it for the 10th time, Ailee slumped in one of the coffee table. She was bored, she wanted to tease someone, but if she annoyed Irene. She would never meet with her lovely Chris Evan poster. She loved him too much. So she decided to watch the clock on the wall.
 
Bored Ailee was dangerous Ailee, Bored Ailee meant trouble. Bored Ailee was also the most creative Ailee, so she fished out her phone and typed some number from it.
 
She waited patiently for the opposite party to pick up the phone, “Boss, I know you are crazy but I still think you are human. What you do now is inhumane.” The heavy sleepy voice answered him.
 
“Rise and shine Taehyung.” She said cheerfully. “I have nice information for you.” She said, 
 
“No thanks.” 
 
“Are you sure?” she twirled her finger on the clean surface, “Because if you come early you will meet Irene. Remember her?”
 
She heard something or someone fall from her phone, she thought it must be Taehyung, and because her employee often called her Devil, she hung up and rejected all the incoming calls from Taehyung.
 
Let him dying in suspense.
 
 She let out evil giggle. “You are crazier than you are in college.” She saw Irene stood near the coffee table.
 
“It’s not 6.30 yet.” She frowned, “you still have to buy me Chris Evan poster from Infinity war.” She pouted. “It’s not my fault you wake up early.”
 
Irene rolled her eyes, “I should know better than to deal with Devil.” She had no problem telling Ailee that.
Ailee shrugged, “ Well, whatever you faced before must be worse than me.” She said. “What? Another stalker? Or man who couldn’t accept no?” she asked.
 
“No. Worse. my mother!” Irene said.
 
Ailee gasped and watched Irene like she made some huge betrayal as she smack Irene’s hand. “how could you? It should be code Hera!! Not Code Artemis.”
 
Irene frowned “Don’t hurt me!” she blurted, “ and code Artemis or Hera or Hestia same differences.” 
 
Ailee growled, “No it’s not!! How could you forget our friendship code. It’s a of knowledge.” She said dramatically, “Code Artemis to protect your chastity..”
 
“I am not ….” Irene protested, and it was ignored by Ailee.
 
“Code Hera is for mother and Code Hestia is for burning apartment!!” she continued, “And Code Athena is after you make stupid decision.”  She explained.
 
"Like I care.” Irene retorted, Ailee had a way  to get under her skin. It felt just like when they were in college again. Irene missed having friend where she can vent her anger. 
 
“You should. Because if you are wrong again, see if I am going to help you.” She said.
 
“Not even for Captain America figurine?” 
 
“well, we can negotiate.” Ailee said promptly. Just like Irene thought, bribing Ailee is not that hard. Especially if you know her well. Irene sighed, “you remember my ex?” 
 
Ailee took some cup from shelf behind counter. Two cups with cat logo. She chose it by herself when she was in Japan. “The one you cried for whole our freshmen year?”  
 
Irene didn’t appreciate that reminder. Okay she hated him a little bit but he was her first love anyway. After the anger subsided then came the sadness and broken heart. “He will get married.” 
 
“So? He is normal man.”
 
“With my sister.”
 
“He is .” Ailee changed her tone as soon as possible.
 
Irene nodded, happy someone put the right curse on him. “And I as the responsible big sister have to come back to Daegu to help my sister for the wedding.”
 
“Can you just skip it?” 
 
Irene glared, “Well, she is family. I don’t think my mother would spare my life if I don’t attend.” She leaned on the counter. “She’s already nagging about my non exist love life, I prefer she is not going on killing spree mode. So I have to placate her somehow.”
 
Ailee sighed, “I’m sorry to tell you this, but your mother is pain in the .” 
 
“Tell me something I dunno.” 
 
Sometimes it really easy to fall back into conversation with Ailee. It felt like they were never lose contact. Most of time she is insane more than sane , but she is good listener when she wanted. She was also not judgmental, well she judged you but silently.
 
“And can you imagine family gathering.” Ailee shuddered, “Your relatives, close family and grandparents….uhh, imagine how horrible when everyone there would ask you when will your turn to get married.”
 
Irene grew paler and groan. Damn! She forgot her meddling relatives. Especially her maternal grandmother. Well, where did you think her mother get her meddling behavior? The apple never falls far from the tree. Her Maternal Grandmother loved her, but now Irene pretty sure she would favor her sister after the wedding.
 
She banged her head to table. The thump sound echoed around the empty café. “Hey don’t bang your head,” Ailee warned her, “you can break the table. It’s expensive!!” 
 
“Geeze! Thanks. I feel loved.”
 
“Yupp that’s me. Queen of all type of love.”
 
Irene rolled her eyes, then she remembered her miserable future, “Ahh what should I do?”
 
Ailee sat in front of her and put two cute cup of coffee in front of them. “You can always bring someone to pretend as your boyfriend.” 
 
Irene raised her head, “Are you just suggesting something like cliché chick flick plot?” 
 
Ailee shrugged, “ Well yes, you can be Sandra Bullock of Korea if you want to.” 
 
“Ailee… I am serious here. And I don’t need any cliché in my life. I hate drama.”
 
“Well, what’s wrong with that? You can always find love that way. Also I can rent you some handsome worker. Let see, we have Jungkook, Myungsoo and aha Taehyung.”
 
Hearing Taehyung name roused heat on Irene cheek, she took the cup and drank it. To cover her reddened cheeks. “No thanks. But I am not going to be Sandra Bullock for your sick entertainment.” 
 
Ailee pouted, “Well, I am trying to help here. You know you want to avoid your relatives question so the only thing that calm them is you come with your date.”
 
“Or I can be independent woman and ignoring them.”
 
“Yeah, if you are not going crazy before.” Ailee said, “Or you can just find real boyfriend.” She suggested.
 
“and where is it?” Irene didn’t bother to hide her sarcasm. 
 
Ailee gave her mysterious smile, and tapped Irene’s hand. Irene got really bad feeling about this usually she would avoid Ailee if she saw smile like that, but she couldn’t go anywhere yet because she still had to change before she worked.
 
“Closer than you think.” She said.
 
And like on cue, the front bell chimed loudly and the unruly Taehyung stood there with short breath. “That’s him,” Ailee said cheerfully.
 
Irene wanted to dig hole and die there especially after Taehyung smiled like he had seen sun itself. “me what?”
***
 
“So, How long have you worked here?”
 
Ailee was devil in disguised. She hated her a lot. Irene couldn’t believe Ailee just leave her alone with Taehyung here. It didn’t help also Taehyung looked super happy.
 
“Sixth month.” 
 
“Do you like it?” Damn it was super awkward.
 
“Yes, especially this place is closer to my university.” He said, “This is my last semester. I am writing my thesis.”
 
“Wow. And you still have time to work? I have to halt all my schedule during thesis period.” Irene really meant it. She spent almost all of her time in library.
 
“Well, yeah. But I can’t just stop working. And also as long as you can use your time wisely we can do it.” He said, then laughed, “Or that’s what my parents said.”
 
Damn. He was capable too. Irene always a er for capable man. “And your grade?”
 
“Well, they are fine.”  He said, “I will miss this place after I graduate.” 
 
Irene smiled, “Yeah. I know. It’s kinda hard to grow out the place where you first learn to earn money.” She said.
“Yup. And I like this atmosphere, you know homeys.” He said.
 
Well, Irene couldn’t fault Taehyung to get attached with the coffee shop. Ailee did pretty good job by making it was so cozy and warm. “Well, you can always visit back. Ailee would be so happy especially if you bring lot of cash.” She said.
 
“Then Boss must be so happy right now, because you visit the café and even order breakfast from here….” He hesitated a bit, before adding, “Irene-ssi.”
 
Damn! Crap! Crap! Something wrong when Irene felt her heart stopping for a while. When Taehyung called her name, the vibrate in his voice was so dangerous. She should never attracted to young man.
 
Damn her heart should never stop in the first place. Attraction you can fight it, but something happen about heart usually lead to disaster. “You can call me noona. I am older than you anyway,” she had to put some distance.
 
Taehyung frowned. 
 
Well, if he called her Big sister (Noona in Korean) it was like mental remainder for her. He was younger man, younger man equals to leecher. She  didn’t need it in her stable life. Even he was young and exactly like Prince Charming in your dream. She didn’t do dating right now because she’s busy.
 
Well, that’s safe. 
 
“But age is just a number,” Taehyung said. 
 
Yes, right. 
 
“But we live in Korea, so we should respect the numeric difference.” Damn. She became just like her  mother. Usually she always disregard anything like seniority or you have to respect people that older than you even though they were rude as .
 
She would shove her argument in their face no matter how old they were. But this time she had to use the same argument just to keep distance.
 
“And I’m like what….” She tried to calculate, “Six year your senior?”
 
Taehyung sighed, “well if you want to. But can I know your Korean name. I don’t think it’s right to call you Noona with English name.”
 
Well, she could settle with that. “Bae Joohyun.” She said.
 
Taehyung nodded, “Bae Joohyun..” she tried, “It’s nice name. Joohyun noona.” 
 
Crapp! It shouldn’t be worse, but when Taehyung called her Joohyun it sounded they were closer. And it’s bad for her heart.
 
Irene fumbled a bit. She tried to find whatever excuses to stop talking with Taehyung, she almost bolted to the guest room and locked herself in.
 
Of course, when she thought she could find some solace. Ailee had to play ‘Replay’ by Shinee. A song dedicated to Pretty older woman out there. Curse that Damn Devil!!!!