Chapter 8. Fight my way

not so in love

You knew it was awkward to get your coffee mate kidnapped by the manager of your insane friend café. Wow, that long sentences but Irene couldn’t phrased it even better. She stood like a deer in spotlight without Sungjong. Taehyung rubbed his nape, “Well, Myungsoo hyung usually doesn’t act like that.” He excused his manager weird behavior.

“Only once in a year.” Ailee chimed helpfully. 

“No.” Taehyung quickly denying. “He never acts like that actually. He must be have a reason.” He defensed his manager. 

Irene nodded, “Well I understand.” She said. “I just confuse whether I should wait for him or not,” she admitted. It wasn’t like she wanted to go home anyway.

Ailee pushed her down to the chair and pulled the coffee, “How about you enjoy your coffee?” She suggested, “Because I think the show would end in…”Ailee raised her fingers and counted, “One Two three..” 

“Holy !” They heard Jungkook’s  yell. 

Ailee clapped her hand, “See.” She said.

“How could you know boss?” Taehyung asked her.

“Well, it’s easy. I know all of your schedule.” Irene should have known, even though Ailee was bit insane she was one of the smartest people she ever known. If she could summarize Battle of rose while playing twister , it practically piece of cake to remember her workers schedule. “Now, enjoy your coffee please and don’t forget to order some cake.” 

Sungjong walked from the kitchen with force smile, “I’m sorry but I think I have to home.” He said to Irene. When he looked Irene stood up, he held his hand, “Don’t mind me, you should stay. You haven’t finish your coffee yet. It’s my treat.”

Ailee shook her head, “Don’t worry, it’s on the house.” She smiled widely as they watched Sungjong walked out from the café. Ailee looked at Irene  “But you have to pay.”

“You said it’s on the house!!” she complained.

“For him. But I can’t run business if I keep give everything free.” She retorted. “So, you my friend have to pay it fully plus the dessert.” 

“I don’t want dessert.” Irene almost yelled, but she took glance toward the cake shelves, and she really tempted to get one of those sweet treats. “Well, I think I will have one.” She said. 

Ailee grinned widely, “Well, you are lucky. Wendy is from U.S.A so she made one of the best authentic brownies ever.” She clapped cheerfully. “Now Taehyung, can you help me to get that before you end your shift?”

“Eh, is my shift over?” he looked confused.

“Yup. But of course if you want work over time I won’t stop you.” Ailee said, “I think Irene here would be so happy to use your assistance.” Irene got a feeling Ailee just used her to make Taehyung worked over time without getting paid, and her suspicion was proved when Ailee added, “But I can’t pay you over time.” 

Irene interjected Taehyung agreement, “I think I don’t need any assistance. Get me my brownies and he could go home.” 

Taehyung looked at her like she was kicking his stomach, “You…” Taehyung was stunned and then forcing a smile, “Sure, I will get your brownies, noona.” He retreated. His shoulder slumped and he looked so small.

Ailee clicked her Tongue in disapproval, “Now, you broke my son heart.” She said, “Can you just let him accompany you?” she asked like a protective mother.

Irene squinted her eyes, “I was helping him not to work over time without bonus.” She gritted her teeth,

“Hey, but I don’t force him though. Listen you may think you help Taehyung, but in honestly you just broke his fragile heart. Well, fyi, Taehyung is always happy to help, and he would feel dejected all weeks if someone refuse his help.” Ailee explained with light tone but somehow Irene felt guilty and accused.

“I wouldn’t do that if you were not plotting to use him.” She snapped at Ailee.

“Yes, but I’m not the one who make Taehyung sad.” She retorted lightly. “And you want to know, next week he will have exam. You are not helping to improve his morale.” She helpfully providing information that make Irene heart wretched in guilt.She knew how much morale boost needed during examination. Somehow it didn’t help when Taehyung tried to smile for her. Irene sighed heavily, she knew that she had this extreme uneasiness with Taehyung existence-more like the fact he is crushing on her, and she kind a attracted to him too- but it didn’t sit well for her to make him sad.

“Here is your brownies noona.” He said.

Irene knew she would regret this later but she opened , “Would you like to sit with me? It’s not your working time anyway.” Taehyung beamed with smile. The dark cloud that hung around him disappeared, and he was all sunshine again.

“Yes. I’d love too.” He said as soon as possible, “I will change and be back.” 

“Sure. Take your time.” When Taehyung walked away, Irene banged her head to table, and covered her face with hand, “What the hell I did!” she asked herself. She gonna to regret this a lot when her sanity came back to her.

***
 
Taehyung was in the cloud nine when Irene let him accompany her to the bus station. He felt light and happy, he felt he could conquer the world figuratively. Irene cleared , “I heard you have exam next week.” Irene said.
Taehyung nodded, “Yup. It’s my last, before I have to write thesis.” He was so nervous but at the same time he was so ready to get into the real world. 
 
Irene nodded, “So, what is your plan after college?” Irene asked again.
 
Taehyung hadn’t thought that much, but he wanted to get good paying job and stopped working at coffee shop. “My parents told me that I have to get into military service first, they said it’s a guarantee to secure my future.” 
 
Irene nodded, “After that?” 
 
Taehyung was naïve about romance but it didn’t mean he was stupid about life. He knew in competitive society like South Korea, he needed clear vision of future. “I think I will start to find job.” He said. “What about you, Noona? I heard you attend the same university as our Boss.”
 
“Well, yeah, but my parents asked me to come back to Korea once I finish my degree. So, I got the job here and living the normal boring as citizen.” 
 
Taehyung chuckled, “But you are not boring, no one would think you are boring if they know our first meeting.” 
Irene looked at him and smiled bashfully, “You know, I am not usually crazy like that.” She said.
 
Now, he was bit curious about it. “Why did you scream, Noona?” he asked. He knew he was not as handsome as Wonbin but at least he was attractive. Myungsoo-hyung said their boss hired only good-looking people, so he definitely wasn’t hideous.
 
Irene looked everywhere but to him before sighed, “Well, let’s just say that I am very superstitious person.” She replied.
 
Taehyung frowned, it didn’t explain anything at all. What was about her being superstitious and slamming the door in front of his face? Was it because his face remain her as supernatural creature? He prayed at least it was Twilight kind of Vampire not Voldemort.  
 
“And?” he tried to get Irene talked.
 
Irene cursed herself. Taehyung was not the brightest bulb in box but it seemed he’s far from stupid, in fact he was quite sharp. How could she explain her twisted mind without hinting she was attracted to him. (Well, she is but Taehyung didn’t need to know as she won’t ever date younger man no matter how hot he is in her mind.) 
 
“Hey, it’s my station.” She almost jumped. She looked at Taehyung, “Thank you for walking me.” She smiled to him. Without waiting for his answer Irene bolted to the station, right before she reached the station, she turned back to Taehyung, “And good luck for your exam. I’m sure you can do it.” 
 
Reluctantly, she pointed her thumb. “Study hard, okay?”
 
A goofy smile appeared on Taehyung’s face, he nodded. He was still waving even after Irene rode the bus off. The smile never leave his face. Irene couldn’t help but to feel a bit elevated. Her heart beat faster with knowing the fact she put that smile on Taehyung’s.
 
Stupid heart! 
 
Okay, just for today. Irene decided. Just for today she would let herself to feel happy with Taehyung. In her brain she could imagine her rationality rolled eyes and her heart leaped in joy. Because just for today, she would let her inner romantics entertained a notion that she was okay with Taehyung’s crush. Because tomorrow she was sure that reality would crush on her.
***
Reality came faster than tomorrow.
 
God, she knew she should never felt that happy, now it was biting her  right on . See, that’s why people said if something happen to be so good, the disaster is right on the sight. Irene sighed in exasperation when she saw her mother lounged in her favorite sofa. 
 
She definitely would burn that sofa. 
 
Her mother stood right away, after seeing her. Oops. She guessed it was too late to run away now. Damn, she should flee when she arrived in front of the door. Her survival instinct must be turned off because she was too happy. Damn!!! That’s it. It was the last time she would have coffee with Taehyung.
 
But not the last time you would let he walked you home. Her heart said which suspiciously sounding like Ailee. Damn! She knew Ailee is bad for her sanity.
 
No!! It would be the last time too! No more Kim Taehyung! 
 
“Bae Joohyun!” her mother shrieked. “Where were you?” she put her hands on hips. 
 
“Working.” She answered.
 
Her mother frowned, “do you work overtime everyday?” her mother seemed upset. Well, when did her mother never upset with her? She was the old spinster of the house hold. “You know only incompetent employee who work over time everyday, if you were competent you wouldn’t have to  work overtime.”
 
Now, she was incompetent. Her mother who had always been a housewife would never know how strict competition in the office. “Eomma, I work overtime to get promotion faster so I can send you  more money.” She said.
 
“I don’t need more money.” Her mother denied.
 
“Yeah? Tell that when you get your new Kate Spade bag.” She sassed her mother.
 
Her mother glared disdainfully, “I’m just buying one new bag and you already use it against me. How could you?” she looked definitely crossed. She sat back to sofa and fanning her self with hand. “And I didn’t raise you like this. I know it’s a huge mistake to send you study abroad.” 
 
Irene rolled her eyes. It was the best decision her parent ever made. “So what do you want?” she just wanted to take shower and sleep.
 
“I want you to spend time with your family especially with your sister wedding.” Her mother said.
Irene sighed, “I will help her when she visit Seoul, okay?” she gave up.
 
Her mother folded her arms under her chest. “Not enough.” 
 
Irene gritted her teeth. “What do you want me to do?” she took glass gulped water in one shot, she wished it was liquor. Usually she restricted her drinking for health reason but right now she felt immense urge to get drunk.
 
Her mother smiled. “We will have family dinner with Bogum’s family and I want you to come.” She said. Irene almost smashed the glass on the table, but her mother hadn’t finished yet. “This Saturday night.” 
 
God, please shoot her right now.
***
 
Myungsoo felt his day couldn’t get worse anytime, yet he didn’t know today was good day or bad day. He found his Sungjong yet at the same time Sungjong didn’t want anything to do with him. He felt like he wanted to get drunk and forget all about it.
 
So, when Ailee stood in front of his door with two bottle soju, he didn’t know whether he should see her as guardian angel or devil that ready to trick him. Which was probably he would make deal with her and ended up slaving for her in the attempt to get more money for Skipper.
 
Hey, where do you think Ailee got skipper glory if not by being brilliant trickster? So, Myungsoo took precautious steps, “Whatever deal I agree upon after I got drunk is invalid and you can’t use it against me later.” 
 
Ailee pouted, “You think that little of me? I would never do that to you.” She said.
 
Myungsoo doubted that statement. “Who made me handling all the worksheet while you are having holiday in Maldives during our hectic time last year?”
 
“Myungsoo! It’s only once in year deal.” She whined.
 
“Aha don’t let me start that you use me as a bait for crazy fangirls during our first black day sale.” Black day was celebrated on 14th April in Korea. It was the day for every single person to eat black noodle (Jajangmyeon) to celebrate the lack of love life, and of course Ailee made it as opportunity for business. When she made competition to accompany lonely single young manager if you purchased more than 35 bucks of coffee and dessert.
 
It was brilliant they got more profit, but Myungsoo ended up traumatized.
 
“Fine, I won’t.” Ailee said as she settled two glass of soju in front of him. She started to pour the soju. “You want to talk about the pretty creature we met this afternoon.” She started.
 
Myungsoo downed the glass in one shot. “No, there’s nothing to talk about.”
 
Ailee raised her brow, “Really? Because Jungkook felt traumatized by your behavior.” 
 
Myungsoo felt a bitter chuckled raise from his throat. That’s what happen to him and Sungjong, one of the factor that made him push Sungjong to leave him. “It’s not my business if he felt homophobic about it.”
 
Ailee sighed, “I think you grade him too low. He is not homophobic, darling. I think what bother him is likely he saw you kiss someone. Not who you kiss.” Ailee said after drink her own soju.
 
“Really? Because you realize we still live in Korea. In the conservative country.”
 
“But it’s changing. People tried to change their way. And I’m pretty sure I raise Jungkook to be better than homophobic narrow-minded fella.”
 
“You didn’t raise him.” Myungsoo pointed it out.
 
“Yup, but I know him, trust me. Jungkook is more disturbed by the fact you have heart to love someone. It is like you see your parents kiss each other.” She said, she laughed a bit, “He thought you as his own brother.”
 
“I don’t know.” Myungsoo said cynically. Honestly, he didn’t have much hope about thing like this again. He just wanted Sungjong back by his side. God, he missed him so much, it became painful.
 
Ailee scowled, “Don’t you dare to belittle our kids with your narrow minded mind.” she softened her words, “Have a little bit faith won’t you?”
 
“Faith wouldn’t get Sungjong back to me.” He wanted to be cynical. He wanted to be bitter and who wouldn’t? He had so many regret and unresolved feeling inside him. He wanted to make it right but he didn’t know how. He even didn’t know whether he could see him again or not. 
 
Ailee sighed, “And drowning in self pity also wouldn’t.” she said but pouring another cup of soju for him.
 
“You know sometimes I wonder if it’s easier to fall in love with….” He tried to find the right words but at the end he pointed her, “You for the example.”
 
Ailee raised her brow, “Yeah, I know, I am so charming so people loves me.” She said confidently. “And you love me, but not the way you love Sungjong.” 
 
Myungsoo smiled, “Yeah. I would never want to kiss you,” he downed another cup. The alcohol started to take effect. His mind was clouded but he couldn’t stop. It felt good to let all out. Ailee was not a stranger, she was his friend and nothing he would hide.
 
Now Ailee felt crossed, “It’s ego bruiser. You know.” She muttered. “Well, what are you going to do?”
 
Myungsoo shrugged, “I don’t know. I want to see him again.” He sounded pitiful. He wanted to pull the blanket to his head, and hide his face. He felt his world crumbled. “I want to make it right.”
 
Ailee sighed, “And how would you do that?” she happily opened up the second bottle of soju. Who was she to stop Myungsoo, if he wanted to get drunk? 
 
Myungsoo frowned, “Don’t ask me! I don’t know.” He slurred his words a bit. He looked at her and remember how Ailee manipulate Taehyung and Irene, to let them see each other. Suddenly he liked the idea. “Can’t you make Sungjong come again like you did with Irene?”
 
If he was sobered, he would never say that. But alcohol and desperation were never good mix. It clouded his judgement and right now, he didn’t care he just wanted to see Sungjong again.
 
“You hate it when I play matchmaker.” Ailee chirped.
 
Myungsoo waved his hand, “I don’t care. I just want to meet him and talk with him again.” He said.
 
“Even asking for my help?”
 
“I would do everything to talk with him.” He said desperately. If only he opened his eyes and looked carefully, he would realized sly smile Ailee had on her face.
 
“Anything?”
 
“Anything.” He nodded.
 
Sweet! Ailee didn’t think that she would get opportunity like this again. And at first, she just wanted to help but you know you can’t just let opportunity pass by. Myungsoo presented it on silver paltered just for small payment. She loved playing matchmaker and she could get lot of money from it.
 
“Including to work at the promotional event in Jeju?” she asked.
 
“What about Jeju?” he blurrily remembered they didn’t have business there.
 
Ailee shrugged, “Just promotional event.” Ailee played it light. “I can make sure that you can talk with Sungjong if you agree to fly to Jeju at the end of the year.” 
 
Myungsoo frowned but nodded, “How would you do that?” he wanted to taste some soju agajn. Miraculously Ailee got another bottle of soju under the table. In haze of alcohol, he just drink it without questioning hidden motives.
 
“Don’t worry about it, little one.” She smiled and took some paper, “Now you just need to sign this, and all will be solve.” She said. She had lot of things to do and she would work faster.
 
You know, you can’t be success business woman without good staff under you. Those good staff also needed to eager to work for you. If you can’t make them eager, you should make it shrewd. Including with making deal, Ailee is good dealer. She also strived to be the most success business woman. Also she enjoyed good romance. So, what’s wrong with a bit of alcohol to achieve that?
***