Chapter 11. Descendant of devil

not so in love

Rosé didn’t know what drive her to get into the café where she broke up with Bobby. Fine, she knew. Jennie’s birthday was near, Jennie bought her a V.I.P ticket for Chicago Musical. It was unethical for Rosé to just give her cup-a-cup lollipop. Jennie would say it’s okay but she would feel failure as best friend. 

 

Here she was, trying to earn her own money to get Jennie a decent present. She prayed that everything would be okay. “Welcome to Skipper!” A friendly voice boomed out from the counter.

 

Rosé gave awkward smile, “Hey. I’m Rosé.” 

 

“I am Kim Taehyung.” The boy smiled wider, “Can I get your order?”

 

“Umm, I am not here to get some coffee, can I meet your manager?” It seemed like Rosé sais the wrong thing, because Taehyung face became pale and horrified.

 

He shook his head profusely, “Miss, whatever your problem, suicide is not a solution.” He advised. Rosé frowned, why suddenly he talk about suicide? She knew the café is weird but she didn’t expect it will be this level weird.

 

“I’m not going to suicide.” Rosé denied.

 

“Yes you are, you ask for our manager.” Taehyung said in conviction.

 

Rosé stared at him with conceding expression, “Unless your manager is a razor it is impossible for me to suicide.”

 

Taehyung looked at her like she was the biggest idiot on earth, then at the same time the boy from outside got in, “Jungkook. This customer wants to meet our manager.” Taehyung informed helpfully.

 

Rosé nodded, she turned to face Jungkook. “Yes. I need to talk to your manager. I want to work here.” She hoped Jungkook would be sane enough. This boy was the one who send her free chocolate during her heart break.

 

Her hope turned into dust when Jungkook shook his head, “Miss, I don’t think today is the right time, you should comeback three months again so you will never witness any murder in your eyes.”

 

“Three months?” Impossible. Jennie’s birthday was next month. “No, I can’t. I need to meet your manager now.”

 

“Miss, don’t you hear us? You will witness murder if you work starting today or this month.” Taehyung warned her. He was looked really horrified.

 

Jungkook nodded, “Yes, or worse you can be the victim.”

 

Rosé was a sweet nature person, but sometimes she was also stubborn. Her stubbornness gave birth to her nick name, stone-head Rosé. Once she decided upon something, she would do that even she had to sacrifice her legs, figuratively.

 

“I don’t care!” She insisted, “Even if I die, I will work here.” Well, at least when she died, her insurance money would cover the gift cost. May be she should make Jenny as her heir.

 

She wasn’t sure Jenny would like it but at least she died as her best of the best of the best friend. 

 

Before Jungkook could say something, “Don’t worry my child, your faith makes your wish come true.” Ailee popped out from nowhere and slung her arm to Rosé’s shoulder. 

 

Jungkook and Taehyung shirked in shock, Taehyung hit his chest, “Boss, we really appreciate if you appear like normal human being.” He whined.

 

“And please stop stealing lines from priest. You  will burn in hell.” Jungkook commented. 

 

Ailee pouted, “Why do you keep associating me with hell?”

 

“Because you are devil.” Taehyung answered.

 

Jungkook raised his brow, “And it will be a biggest lie of centuries heck, even for whole human civilizations to associate you with angel.”

 

Rosé was sure you will get fired if you talk to your boss like that, but instead getting angry, Ailee tapped her index finger to chin like she was thinking about  the statement. Where would you get another boss like this?

 

“Fair point.” Ailee patted Jungkook’s shoulder. “I raise you as an honest human being.” She looked at Rosé, “So you want to work here?”

 

Rosé sweat dropped. She questioned her decision to work here, “Err..yes?”

 

Ailee nodded, “So let me ask you…” Resume? Education? Rosé had prepared it all in her own bag, she was ready to answer all. “Are you a feminist?” 

 

“I’m sorry. What?” 

 

“Are you a feminist?”

 

Jungkook face palmed his own face, “Boss, we need skill!” he whispered, but that whispered was loud enough to be heard in whole room

 

Even though the question was weird but Rosé was a proud feminist. “Yes I am.” 

“Then you are hired!” Ailee clapped cheerfully. 

 

Jungkook and Rosé had their jaw slacked. Only Taehyung who responded well, by saying  “Welcome to Skipper, Rosé-ssi.” Who was he to judge her? When he first worked here, Ailee only asked him whether he thought woman and man were equal or not. 

 

“Wait! Wait!” the complain wasn’t from Jungkook but from Rosé, “I’m happy to be hired but don’t you think you need to ask whether I’m honest or not, hard-working or not, and have skill or not.”

 

Ailee shrugged, “Skill can be learnt. If you are lazy, Myungsoo would have your head. If you aren’t honest, I can fire you.” She said easily. It was simple logic but no one could refute it. 

 

Rosé realized behind her new boss weirdness laid a genius mind. Well, people said  every genius had their own uniqueness.  Rosé wanted to give her smile when the next line really dampened her mood.

 

“And the most important things you are single.”

 

***

When she was in office, Irene had this urge to kill her boss but today was different because today her desire to commit homicide directed to a person who send her several text message.

 

“Let’s talk.”

 

Irene blocked his number after he tried to call her several times. s. She would never end up like a cliché chick flick. Screw being mature woman, so what if she didn’t want to talk with her ex?

 

Irene decided to get herself a cup of coffee to reward herself. It had nothing to do with Taehyung though. Psst….she herself even didn’t believe that. Well, it wasn’t her fault that her legs decided to bring her toward Skipper. It wasn’t her fault too that her heart skip a bit. It  seemed like her body had this automatic respond every time she met Kim Taehyung, hell, the mere thought of Taehyung even did that.

 

“Welcome to Skipper!” Irene pushed door and Taehyung’s voice already made her giddy. Taehyung smiled wider, “Oh Noona.” He greeted.

 

“Hi.” Irene awkwardly greeted him. “I need my coffee.” 

 

Taehyung was on the floor, “I will bring you menu.” 

 

Irene knew she should tell him she would like to just get her Americano and then went out her way, but her heart and tongue had conspiracy to make her agree that a cup of coffee in the morning should be enjoyed in relax manner. “Sure.”

 

She opted to sit near the window where she could watch the pedestrian. “You know, you don’t need to find excuse to justify your desire to see Taehyung.” 

 

Irene knew this voice well. She closed her eyes, “Go away Satan, I hope you just dwell in hell.”

 

“That’s rude!” Ailee offended. “For your information, I’ve been standing near the book case for 20 minutes but you are too mesmerized by Taehyung.”

 

“Why haven’t you make sound if you’ve been there?” 

 

Ailee shrugged, “I’m practicing technique to intake oxygen without breathing.” She said nonchalantly. Irene face-palmed. She forgot Ailee was an oxymoron. “Here come the bride.” She whistled when Taehyung came with menu.

 

“You mean the groom?” Irene corrected her.

 

“Aha! You want him as your groom. I caught you!” 

 

Irene choked her own saliva, if she drank water, she would spit it to Ailee’s face. She was sputtered mess when Taehyung asked her to order, “Are you okay, Noona?” he asked.

 

“Umm, yes…I mean of course…”

 

Ailee leaned her chin on her palm and said, “Don’t worry. She is just imagining sweet dreams.”

 

Irene kicked Ailee’s shin from under table. “Stop saying something like that.” She glared, then looked at menu, “I want hot macchiato and banana muffin.” She ordered.

 

Ailee smiled, “Ah Taehyung, make it special. Someone’s gonna  have  long day ahead.” She said.

 

Taehyung frowned, “Did something happen noona? About your sister?” his concern was touching if not the satanic face of Ailee still in front of her.

 

Irene rubbed her nape, “Yeah.” Ailee raised her brow because it seemed Taehyung knew about Irene’s family, where did he know. “Can you help me to get my order?” Irene asked.

 

Taehyung nodded and then leave the table to bring the order. “So are you going to tell me how did Taehyung know about your sister?” Ailee asked.

 

“No I am not going to.” Irene shook her head, she shot annoyed glare to Ailee, “Don’t you have the job to do?” 

 

“I am the boss, I have the job when I say I have.” 

 

“Say that if you are living from paycheck to paycheck.” 

 

Ailee shrugged, “That’s why I don’t work for people. So, can you do me a favor?” Ailee asked her.

 

Irene squinted her eyes suspiciously, then firmly rejected her, “No, just no.”

 

Ailee kept smiling but her smile changed from the warm café owner into Cheshire cat from Alice in Wonderland, “Favor or blackmail? Your choices?”

 

Irene suddenly felt some sort goose-bump , cold tickled through her spine but she had to be strong, “You don’t have anything to blackmail me.” 

 

At the same time Taehyung came back, “Noona, here your muffin and macchiato.” He smiled.

 

Ailee raised her brow, “You know you would make a perfect boyfriend material.” She sais out of blue.

 

Taehyun blushed, he almost dropped his tray. “What do you mean boss?”

 

“Do you want to know Irene ideal type?” Suddenly realization thundered in Irene ‘s brain. She remembered her university day, after mid-term finished, the day they had some sort party, and after she got wasted but Ailee didn’t. 

 

Taehyung perked up. Just like a dog that being offered to play tag. Damn He was so cute, Ailee twirled her fingers in the air. “Well, when we were in…”

 

“Favor! Favor!” Irene cut her off. 

 

Ailee smiled in full satisfaction. “I thought so.” She patted Taehyung’s shoulder, “My son, you should ask her by yourself then.” She said cheerfully then she freaking left after dropping the bomb.

 

Irene looked at him groggily. But of course, Taehyung was too shy to ask that. Irene felt obligation to explain, “Whatever she says later, it all in the past. I’ve change so… you know my type changed too.”

 

Then Taehyung blurted the most unexpected things, “So what is your type now?” 

***