CHAPER 13. STRONG WOMAN BAE JOO HYUN

not so in love

“So, this is coffee machine to make coffee This is table for putting the food and this is chair for sitting, well those are the sofa…” Rosé wanted to slap her coworker but she thought it wouldn’t be a superb way to start her working career. Honestly, Rosé was a good person but the person in front of her really incite her violence instinct.

 

Jeon Jungkook a.k.a the barista that made chocolate for her after break up with Bobby was only initially nice. But after he got assignment to help Rosé, he became the worst unhelpful dimwit walking on earth. Why couldn’t he tell Ailee that he didn’t want to help?

 

“Can you just tell me what should I do?” Rosé snapped. 

 

Jungkook raised his head, “What?”

 

“You don’t need to explain the chair for me.” Rosé pulled out the chair, “Chair is for sitting. No matter what is the shape.” 

 

“Well but you are wrong.” Jungkook said, “That chair you pull is not for sitting.”

 

“What the hell?”

 

“That chair is reserved by Boss, for the Greek, Roman and Norse gods -if you believe- which I find it stupid but the rule.”

 

“Wait what? The all gods in one chair?”

 

“Yes.” 

 

“Then it will be so packed.” Rosé frowned.

Jungkook saw her like she was crazy, then he shook his head, “You will be just fine to work here.”

 

Rosé beamed, well, she thought it would just hard to get this approval but actually, no. “You think?”

 

“You are just as weird as Boss.” He stated in matter of fact tone, then rolled her eyes, “This chair is for customer, our boss is atheist.” 

 

“You don’t need to be religious to believe in gods. Read Percy Jackson, gods are exist.”

 

“I think Rick Riordan is exist and bathing in money from the naïve reader like you.”

 

“I’m not naïve.” Rosé denied.

 

Jungkook raised his brow, “Yes, and I am Pegasus from Fictionland.” Sarcasm dripped in his voice. “Anyway, we don’t reserve any chair for non-paying customer, keep that in mind.” 

 

Rosé pouted, why couldn’t someone really understand her obsession for Gods? Those uncultured people. Hey, Percy Jackson gave pretty accurate insight about Greek Mythology -which probably not but Rosé didn’t need to know that-!

 

“Just wipe clean all the table and window before you go home. Even though we respect customer but respect yourself more. If harassment happen, stop it immediately! Or just kick him at crotch then we will cheer on you.” 

 

“Wait!!!” 

 

“What?” Jungkook was displeased. He glanced at the clock.

 

“I really like that rule, but you know, isn’t it bad to kick Customer at crotch?”

 

“Depend on situation and condition.” Jungkook said briefly. “But if you are afraid, just tell me. I can do the giving lesson for you.”

 

Somehow, that words warmth Rosé. Well, she could defense herself but knowing there was a man who ready to help you and aware of harassment gave her hope for boys in general, (In which Rosé had decided they were just a bunch of savage that too late to be saved or in other words deserve kick in the nut. Damn Bobby for destroying her faith for boys)

 

“Or you can call Myungsoo hyung.” 

 

“The homicidal manager?” Rosé tilted her head.

 

Jungkook smiled became stiff, “Err, he is not homicidal stop talking like you are suicidal.” Rosé thought he tried to give her sign to look at her back, so Rosé turned her back to see and there he was one of the most gorgeous human being ever with the eyes of Chimera ready to torn her flesh.

 

Instinctively, well, for the note it wasn’t her fault -who told Jungkook to be so tall- she hid behind Jungkook. “Whatever I said, I just heard it from him.” She pointed out Jungkook. 

 

“Hyung, she is just confused between me and Taehyung. I never say you are homicidal.” Rosé looked at him, he had no integrity. How could you throw someone under the bus just because he faced this gorgeous yet scary manager? (YES, she knew she is hypocrite but honestly she really heard it from him.)

 

“Why are you still standing here?” Myungsoo asked then he squinted his eyes to Rosé. Jungkook scrambled to work. He practically dashed to the coffee machine “And who hire you?” 

 

Rosé felt defenseless. “Ailee eonni.” 

 

“Rule number one, I don’t care what is your gender if you decided to stand there like worthless dust in the corner of the room you better wish that you never step in here. Understand?”

 

Rosé gulped, she knew why they told her he is homicidal, his glower could make children have nightmare. Pfft, even Rosé in verge of tears. “Yes, sir.”

 

“Good.” 

 

“And don’t call me sir.”

 

“What should I call you then?” Rosé didn’t know she is that stupid why did she still ask? Judging from Myungsoo reaction she had ask the idiotic of idiotic of idiotic question ever. (In her defense, she thought it wasn’t but hey everyone had their own standard. Right now, her standard was whatever float in Myungsoo boat.)

 

ROSÈ bowed several times, “Can we just write that as my moment of stupidity?” 

 

Myungsoo looked at her with flat look before saying, “At least one person in this café has awareness of their own stupidity.”  

 

Rosé didn’t know that he just insulted her or all employees but from others expression it was likely the latter. 

 

***

“You deserve special place in hell.” Irene showed her phone screen in front of Ailee. She dropped her damn luggage. Here, ladies and gentlemen, 28 years old warrior Irene of Independent woman land was defeated by terror from Daegu land which took a form as Mother and Bae Soo-bin. 

 

Ailee raised her brow, “So does your mother and sister apparently.” Then her face lightened up when she typed the phone number on screen to her own phone.

 

“Damn it! I’m afraid to go home, in case my mother is already been there. And now I feel like huge because I just give Sungjong phone number to save my self.” 

“Let’s tackle the problem one by one.” 

 

“You realize that half of my problem is from you right?” 

 

Ailee had gal to look so shy, “Aw, I can’t take that much credit. I think your family contribute a lot.” 

 

After silence for a while Irene decided to tell Ailee, “Bogum keeps messaging me.” No matter what, Ailee was one of her best friend even they had been separated for years. 

 

Ailee put a glass of wine in front of her, “Why?” 

 

“He said that he wanted to talk.”

 

“About?”

 

It might be not wise to drink in front of Ailee, because who knew what crazy thing she might suggest her to do, but the wine was so tempting.  “I don’t know but I refused to be part in the cliché chick drama. What he wants to talk about? He has gut to marry my sister without her graduating college yet.” 

 

“Aha I think I know the problem. You want your sister finishes college before getting married.”

 

“Yeah, right. I know for Soo-bin getting married to oh-charming Park Bogum is her first priority but I want her experience college at the fullest. And become independence, getting experience outside Daegu.” 

 

Ailee straightened up her big T-shirt with huge printing, I AM CAPTAINESS AMERICA, MRS. ROGER. “So that’s why you don’t want to date Taehyung.”

 

Irene frowned, why suddenly she got this chill like she just walked into well-prepared trap? But when she eyed Ailee, she got nothing but curious smile. If she was less tipsy (if only Ailee stopped pouring the good wine, damn she remembered Ailee has good taste) she would never say it out loud.

 

“Stop psychoanalyzing me.” Irene ordered. She finished her wine in one shot. 

Ailee poured her glass again. “Then stop denying things. You know, you don’t need to get married with Taehyung just because you date him.”

 

Irene wanted to slap Ailee, because somehow she gave her this idea of walking in aisle. “Don’t give me idea.”

 

“There’s nothing wrong just to get know Taehyung. He is good boy.”

 

“That’s the problem, he is the boy.” 

 

“Oops, he is good man.” Ailee corrected herself. “Anyway, age is just a number as long as both of you are adult.”

 

“Damn you. I don’t want to date him.”

 

“How about dinner with him?”

 

“Also no!”

 

“ Lunch?” 

 

“Is it a date?”

 

Ailee shrugged, “I leave it for your own interpretation but keep it open.” She poured the wine again, she wouldn’t put it out of Ailee that she would send bill to Irene as soon  as she sobered up next morning. “You know, just like you refuse to read Harry Potter just because you have watched the movie, then I hooked you up with first novel and then you agree the movie didn’t give the book justification.”

 

Irene remembered that moment, “Yes, it’s my lapse of judgement, you can’t hold grudge that long.” 

 

“Listen, pal. What have you done toward Harry Potter novel is abomination. I will never forget it.” Trust Ailee to make Harry Potter novel vs movie became as serious as the famine in Africa. “The point is I was right and is still right, so just trust me when I give you advice,”

 

Somehow trusting Ailee was like asking you to trust con man on the street who sold medicine to make you live 1000 years. Just because she was right about Harry Potter novel-Which was Irene’s fault to be stubborn at first- didn’t mean she would be right for this thing.

 

Irene became fuzzy, if this what Ailee wanted, then it worked too well. She started to feel warm and sleepy the last image that she had in mind was Taehyung’s face and somehow warm coffee near the window that suspiciously looked like Skipper.

***

Hungover was son of the .

 

Irene hated when she woke up with huge headache, she felt like Queen held the concert in her brain and Ailee was the main vocalist. It didn’t help Ailee decided to turn Bohemian Rhapsody on just for ‘morning motivation’

 

“Can you shut up?” Irene yelled as soon as someone came into the room.

“Eer, noona. I haven’t said anything.” God, let it just a dream. Irene saw Kim Taehyung stood there with a cup of hot tea with ginger. 

 

Irene groaned, “I’m sorry.” She wanted to just die. She just yelled to Kim Taehyung who saw her in her worse- wait!- now Irene just realized she must be looked horrible, she hadn’t brush her teeth, or wash her face, her face had to be bloated because of alcohol. Damn Korea and its lookism. Irene was affected with that too, now she felt like bloated troll in front of Kim Taehyung prince like smile.

 

“I made ginger tea for you. I think you need this.” He said bashfully.

 

Damn. It should be Irene who looked bashful, but Taehyung was so adorable with blush. Oh my, she definitely still intoxicated, she wasn’t sober yet. Or she just lived in denial. 

 

“Thank you, you are so kind.” Irene sipped her tea. 

 

“And here some Advil,” Taehyung put down the bottle of Advil carefully on table. 

Irene looked at him thankfully, “You are life saver.” She swallowed the medicine soon and gulped it with tea. “God, I wish I can eat hangover soup.” She said.

 

Taehyung scratched his nape, “Well, I can get you hungover soup.”

 

Irene shook her head, “No need!” she didn’t want to know, the extend of Taehyung kindness. Because yes, her damn heart started to skip a beat. “You have class today, right? And it’s weekend anyway you should hang out with your friend.”

 

Taehyung shook his head, “It’s weekend so I don’t have class and I work full time in weekend.” He explained then he smiled widely, “So I can get hangover soup for you.” 

 

Damn it! She really wished Taehyung didn’t have to that sweet, now she felt guilty just to use him for Hungover soup. In hazy mind, Irene remembered something to keep possibility open, and that didn’t mean she had to date him right?

 

Moreover, Taehyung gave her Advil and tea. She should show she was grateful right? Anyway, it just hungover soup, not a date at all. Why? Because Irene didn’t dress up and she felt like mouse from the sewer. Taehyung wouldn’t want to date that type of woman right?

 

If her head didn’t ache, she wouldn’t do this. If she was in her right mind, she would berate herself for falling into Ailee’s trap. (Come on, you have to admit it, Irene would never have lunch or dinner with Taehyung, well technically she just got breakfast so it didn’t count as date right?)

 

“Do you want to get Hungover soup? My treat.” 

 

When you thought Taehyung’s smile couldn’t get lovelier, well, fate just loved to prove you wrong, because this time his smile just sobered Irene up with the hard slap even she couldn’t deny that she was in huge trouble.