Day 4.

PHOSPHENES
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The next Monday, finally Taeyeon had a chance to meet Lee Jinki, the supposed head of the design team, and the studio as well. She almost dropped down her chair when a guy wrapped in grey turtle neck with sleek black hair approached her. His bangs sort of too long, swiped slightly to the side and it bounced fluffily each step he made.

“Heyho, Taeyeon. My apologize, I just have my time to greet you.”

The said man dragged the chair from Minho’s station and sit comfortably next to her, completely opposite with her state which still cannot swallow what just flashed before her eyes. Who knows her boss’s boss looks like what you described as sunshine on Saturday morning after a whole dreaded week?

“You greeted me on the email, already. Don’t worry about that.”

“I prefer to do it properly. Besides, my fiancé would gladly slap me right on the face if I got caught being manner-less.”

Ah, right. The fiancé. This man is taken and bonded to someone already, how on earth I even dare drooling over his beautiful appearance? Get a grip, Lee Taeyeon!

“God bless your fiancé, then.”

“I wouldn’t want any other way,” Jinki beams into very bright diamond, Taeyeon gulped down a lump of sickening air once again for seeing the scene, “So, how is it going so far? You like it here? Jonghyun passed my notes already last week, yes?”

“It’s going well, and yeah, you got the most awesome crew. I’m doing some drawing for the studio house, the one at the rooftop.”

“Ah, yes, yes. Mind if I take a look? Did Minho check it already?”

Taeyeon hesitated for a second, “Actually, I have no clue. Last week he was so busy and told me to just email it to him so he can review that. I did send it but haven’t heard anything from him until this morning, though.”

“This hybrid frog,” Jinki moved closer to the screen to assess the design she has been making, “This one, the façade. Umm, can you make two options of it? This one is okay, but with the full glass like this, probably we need more detail with the frame and glass later and my friend Kim Jonghyun there won’t be happy with that. Plus, the site is quite dense, we need confirmation from the client about this much of exposure. Push this wall back like around one meter, but check first, if it’s possible with the other room behind, and move the glass wall to the front another one or one and half meter. So we’ll have sort of small green house and solid wall then.”

The words Jinki recited sounds like a beautiful poet in her ears and she mentally smacked the back of her head because of that. Quickly she took her sketch book to explain what she meant by the idea.

“Well, I was thinking to provide more sunlight to the house since the location is crowded enough. However, what you’ve just said is all make sense.”

He sends her another sweet smile she nearly had another heart attack, “Completely understand. I like your idea, that’s why I asked you to make another option and not changed what you already did so far. Who knows the client prefer your design than mine, right?”

Dazzling light’s suddenly blinding her eyes when Jinki decided to turn into human torch. Taeyeon immediately thanking all of the good deeds she did for having such understanding boss like him. It swept all her anxiety at once because in the past, her boss was a middle age man who’s very demanding until the day she resigned from the position.

“Oh, and Taeyeon, actually I need the drawing for my parents’ house by Thursday or Friday. My fiancé and I will have family dinner on Friday night, so can you help me to prioritize that?”

I’ll do anything for you, Sir!

Taeyeon almost surrendered on her knee listening how soft and polite Jinki delivered his request.

“Yes, of course! I’ll fix this one very quickly then take care of that so hopefully on Thursday I’ll be able to show it to you. If there’s some stuff you don’t like, we will have time to revise that before Friday afternoon.”

“Sounds great. Oh, and one more thing, when Minho arrived discuss your work with him and tell him to go to my desk after.”

Jinki must have caught the sudden change of expression on Taeyeon’s face. He returned back to her side and crossed both his arms on her desk to support his leaning torso.

“What? Something’s wrong?”

“No, no, nothing!”

“Then why your face looks like I asked you to do some marathon at this very minute at this very weather?”

She bites her lower lips instantly, caught red handed. She knew she’s the worst with lying, especially to people who’s really nice with her.

“Maybe it’s just me. But I feel Minho is.. not comfortable with me.”

She tried so hard to pick her words, to avoid using the ‘hate’ word.

“Yet.”

“I know it’s only three days I’ve been here. He seemed doesn’t want to work with me. Well, like I said before, maybe I’m just being too sensitive. Nevermind. You’re right. He needs more time to adjust. I’ll convey your message to him, then.”

Taeyeon put her smile, but it’s so flat and unnatural Jinki can only chuckle seeing her flustered attitude.

“Listen. You may have heard one or two things about him from the other. But trust me. As far I know, and I know very well, he’s a really good architect. And a friend who’s very great, kind, and warm. I’m agree that his façade, plus those huge eyes, they’re intimidating sometimes.”

“Very. You have no idea.”

Her honest opinion got him cracking on the spot.

“Lee Jinki! Your in’ fiancé threaten to burn the office down if you’re not answering the phone call! Go back here and take care of your phone that had been ringing hundred times! Stop torturing me!!”

Jonghyun popped out from the glass room and shouted to the whole office.

“That’s my cue. I’d better go back there before you need to find another place to continue your internship!”

He winked quickly and dashed into the glass door that just slammed shut by Jonghyun. She winched silently for the idea of sitting together to discuss her progress with Minho. The man didn’t do anything wrong, though, he barely did anything. His desk seemed more like bus stop instead a work station. If anyone summed up the entire encounter happened between Taeyeon and Minho, it would be no more than five hours, which includes the time they passed each other at the toilet’s entrance or on the office corridor.

But miracles happened this morning. The handsome architect looks like in a very good mood. He arrived thirty minutes later and even stopped by near the vending machine and jokes around with Amber who was kicking the poor machine for swallowing her coins. The way they slapped each other’s arms and loud chattering proofs Jinki’s right, he is a warm person.

She cursed her sensitivity for asking too much. So when he passed her, she put the best smile she had and shakes the negative thoughts off her mind.

“Good morning, Minho!”

On the other hand, the latter is not ready with such jolly greeting. When the image of an innocent girl offering a smile that worth all his time of the day, he’s forced to chew his inner cheek and took his best effort composing some words.

“Oh, good morning.., Taeyeon.”

Are you fifteen years old or what, Choi Minho?! What’s with the unnecessary stutter?

“How’s your weekend?”

“Was okay. Saturday with friends and Sunday with my family.”

Taeyeon tilted her head to the side directing her attention fully to Minho, without fail making the tall guy flustered and rushed to turn on his computer so he can hide the crimson tint on his cheeks he’s yet realized not that apparent but feels very intense on his skin.

“Sounds nice.”

She turned back to her screen, sighing contently, imagining patting her own back for dropping her pride and actually trying to approach him with friendly conversation. Not so bad, Lee Taeyeon.

“And you?”

Did I hear correct? He’s actually asking me? Not working-related topic?

“Me?”

“Well, Suho is not around and I believe Hyungsik over there is engrossed to some outer space songs blasting from his headphone I wished he bought a better one because as we can see or rather listen, I don’t need to ask him to know what he’s listening too. So. Yeah, you.”

“Well, I worked during weekend too. So

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter