Day 82.

PHOSPHENES
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Day 82.


 

“Minho, do you like me?”

She bites her almond croissant while waiting for the answer of her unexpected question, even she’s still cannot grasp why did she take drastic measure like that. There’s no tiny bit reaction from the man across her, he keeps his lips sealed, while his eyes haven’t moved from her face, as if it traps him in other trance. Is there something on my face?

“Choi Minho.”

Whether he’s listening or not, what makes it scarier is that he seems not even blink. Since it’s getting weird for her, she waves her hand right to interrupt his sight, deliberately.

“Earth to Minhoooo!”

The loud call wakes him up and left him flustered. Did I go somewhere?

“Ugh, yeah, sorry, what you’re saying?”

The view before him is undeniably hypnotizing but he didn’t think he would had zoned out like that. Can feel heat creeping his face, he reaches his coffee quickly and took the opportunity of sipping to duck his head for a moment.

“I asked if you like me.”

“What?!”

The fountain show took place immediately, dark brown liquid splattered almost everywhere.

“Eyy…, even my nephew drinks better,” Taeyeon gets some napkins and pats Minho’s lips slowly, “You’ve been staring at me longer than a normal person would take a look at their coworker. Should I dare to say that I look like Marion Cottilard?”

“Why suddenly Marion Cottilard?”

“How else certain Choi Minho would space out like that if I at least not having the features of Greek goddess?”

You do have the features of Greek goddess, he thought. They came too early to the office this morning and decided breakfast downstairs won’t hurt. It wasn’t clear whose excuse was that, but both are so keen on the intention of sharing cups of coffee before drown in their respective project.

Minho wants to give the person who came up with the term breakfast with view a round of standing applause. With a simple black turtle neck and messy top knot, Taeyeon could snatch any heart she passed by this morning. He keeps thinking it was his mind tricking him for the lack of sleep these days, but he knew his eyes won the battle with such look occupying his sight.

He doesn’t have advance knowledge of make up but he understands color palate combination. He’s pretty convinced the light peach blush she picked—accidental or well planned—surely makes her cheekbones more stunning. And the overgrown bangs—it wasn’t that long the first time I saw her—frame her face in such way it makes her eyes twinkling effortlessly.

Long short story, a breathtaking view to get your morning started.

“Marion Cottilard is beautiful, but is not that beautiful.”

“That’s pretty rude but I’ll take that as a compliment.”

“Try Natalie Portman.”

“Oh, the audacity. To think that I even wiped the mess you made.”

Minho just grins to those sulky words, secretly trying to ease his jumpy heartbeat and thinking about what kind of excuses he should give.

“Sorry. Don’t take my jokes seriously. It’s just lots of thing going on here,” he pointed to his head, “I don’t even know where to start.”

“Hmmm. So you don’t like me then?”

Taeyeon has no idea where did those guts come from, all her nerves and muscle are taking a break from syncing this morning.

“What are you saying?!”

“You should see yourself in the mirror just now!” Minho’s panicked face is really amusing sometimes, she had to clutch her thighs under the table to prevent her from shrieking, “Relax, Minho. I’m joking.. you looked so weary so I had to take action. Anyway. If anything regarding works I could help, let me know, okay? I still have a week or so left.”

Ah, yeah, she’s finishing soon.

“You know what? Sometimes I thought you’re working with us already.”

“Oh, I wish,” she took the last bite of her pastry, “But what can I say? Grad school’s calling.”

Minho wanted to be hyped with the subtle hint of disappointment, but he decided to keep his expectation on check.

“When will be your last day?”

“Why? Are you gonna give me some farewell gift?”

“Oh, should I? I was just thinking until when I could enslave you.”

“Yaaa! Choi Minho!”

“Look who’s saying to relax few minutes ago?” he still hasn’t stopped laughing when she started launching her paper ball attack, “Seriously, though. When is it over?”

“Around next week? Or the week later? Not sure. Gotta check my contract again.”

She remembers the night she was complaining to Krystal about some silly internship she has to do to fulfill some credits at school. Three months seemed so long back then for Taeyeon who constantly feels being in a race with time. Where those hours have gone?

She wasn’t sure she would fit in. With her teaching schedule, thesis progress, financial obstacle, and family issues, she thought she wouldn’t make it. But seeing where she stands at the moment, suddenly she feels so proud of herself for fighting so hard to accept the reality she’s in and try her best regardless.

Nonchalantly, her lips curved into a smile.

Without a doubt, it’s mesmerizing for Minho’s eyes. This time, he’s being extra careful to not get caught off guard again—oh, how embarrassing. Suddenly he contemplates so hard, there’s a battle between his gut and heart where he cannot see the logic he’s supposed to hold at the moment.

“Would it change anything, though?”

“What would change anything?”

“Your earlier question.”

“About the farewell gift?” she blinks in disbelief, “You think I was that cheap and seriously asking for one?”

“Not that one. Much more earlier.”

“I’ve been talking since we stepped out the elevator. So please be specific when you’re asking because I have a memory of a goldfish sometimes even though goldfish is actually very observant creature.”

“Why suddenly goldfish?”

Her eyes went funny and she just laughs so hard over her own thought, “Have no idea! It just popped up in my head!”

For the first time in forever, Minho wants to hear someone’s laughter as his morning alarm, phone’s ringtone, shuffled music in his car—basically everything. It’s just so soothing and sparkling at the same time.

“About much earlier question,” Minho’s trying to straight the things out, still very cautiously.

“How much earlier?”

“The ‘do you like me’ earlier.”

“Oh. What about that?”

Taeyeon tries to sound natural and calm, way to go to maintain her nerves that dancing here and there like intoxicated freshwater eel.

“Would it change anything if I do?”

She never witnessing Minho’s voice quivering like this, it’s only slightly so, but the different vibe it brought is so obvious. So obvious it turns her full. Casually, Taeyeon stood her elbow on the table and leaned her chin on one hand—her fingers grazing her cheek almost too beautiful—eyes purposely locking with Minho’s. Once she found the thing she needed to reassure herself before saying anything else, she beamed into one blinding smile.

That blinding smile Minho anticipated lately.

“I don’t think so.”

Taeyeon keeps her smile for awhile before she busied herself with her neglected phone. She was certain it’s about time the ship has sailed. However, the vague answer leaves Minho a bit devastated.

***

“Come again?!”

Taeyeon jumped from her seat out of nowhere, startling Amber and Changmin who are in the middle enjoying the whole pan of Hyoyeon’s signature cheesecake.

“Can you not give people random heart attack? I cannot die this young!”

With mouth filled with whole chunk of cheesecake, Changmin complained as if someone just disturbing a bear during his hibernation. Amber knocked his head with the fork in her hand causing him to yell even more.

Taeyeon mouthed ‘sorry’ and quickly returned to her phone, “Do not play with me.”

“Since when I’ve ever dare to joke around with you?!”

The person in the other line can’t help but chuckling, the reaction is exactly what is expected from furious but clueless Lee Taeyeon.

“So it’s true? Where are you now? When did you get here?”

“Whoaa. Chill woman. One by one. Give a man a break.”

“It’s because you’re always teasing me this and that!”

Previously not interested, at the end Amber quietly asks Changmin whom she’s talking to out of curiosity. Usually, Changmin shut himself from the world whenever he has a date with cheesecake. He just shrugged to Amber, but Taeyeon cheery voice perks his ears as well, he opted to stay alert on the conversation.

“I landed two days ago.”

“And you call me just now?!”

Taeyeon knocks the table with her fist so loud Changmin and Amber start to get scared. She pulled out stupid grin as an exchange of apology.

“This is the exact reason why I don’t call you earlier. You would just make a big deal of it.”

“It’s a big deal! You should called me immediately! I would have picked you!”

“I am an adult and I can take care of myself.”

“Oh yeah, said someone who lost his sunnies whenever he’s out of the house.”

“It’s because you

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter