Day 1.

PHOSPHENES
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Taeyeon cannot stay still on her seat. The sweat on her palm stuck on the cover of her phone. Twenty minutes passed already since the appointment time, and ten minutes flies by since the girl on the front desk said please wait for Mr. Lee.

While sighing and tapping her feet in a very different rhythm, she looked around once again. The yellow color dominates the whole room, with some pinch of black, white, and gold. There’s no picture of their project like any other architecture firm. Without knowing what’s kind of office it is, people would easily mistake this as an advertising company or even model agency.

In such a place like this, any other day she will darted her phone to every corner to capture the aesthetic and put it in her Instagram account. Any other day she will take out her sketchbook and transferred the image caught by her eyes to the paper.

“Don’t worry, you’ll be doing fine. You worked before, and even in a very bad managed company. My Dad always said, if you’re already experienced the worst, it’s nothing when you’re in a very well situation. It would be very easy. Anyway. You can always go to the toilet with your phone to call me anytime, though.”

Krystal’s words on the call last night when the clock twelve and she didn’t feel sleepy at all are ringing true. Very low chuckle released from her pouty lips for it was weird and funny since Krystal is actually only one door away but Taeyeon just being needy and lazy roommate to storm into her room.

Today is her first day of internship, which is also her first day of period – yes, thanks mother earth, an internship that she didn’t get at all what’s the meaning behind it because she’s already in graduate school and had working experience abroad for two years. This is why you shouldn’t go back to your country to continue your study, Lee Taeyeon.

The screen on her phone flashed the current time, which is now already thirty minutes of torture. Are they really this disrespectful? I know I’m only an intern but shouldn’t they still be professional?

“Lee Taeyeon?”

A soothing voice called her name, she immediately jumped up, phone almost dropped from her laps. The man’s smiling so wide he actually could rip his face in two if he smiled one millimeter wider. He’s not that tall, but with the swiped back bangs and turtle neck like this, some girls on the street would definitely melted on their feet.

If the boss is this handsome, I’m ready to be submerged in any kind of deadline.

“Kim Jonghyun,” he stretched out his hand and Taeyeon shook it nervously, “Wow. That was the wettest handshake I’ve ever had in my life.”

A pink tint is quite apparent now on her cheeks while she quickly wiped her palm on her sweater, making the other man chuckles once again.

“I’m just kidding. You must have waited for too long. I’m so sorry, my partner is such an sometimes.”

Seriously, what kind of office is this when the people inside just curse out of nowhere to stranger?

“No worries, I understand. You must be very busy here.”

“Indeed we’re very busy. I was about telling my assistant to tell you that it’s better for you to start the internship by the next Monday but she told me Jinki already pushed it back for two days.”

“He said he needed to check some projects on his email.”

“He is always checking projects. Even today, that’s why I’m here instead of him. Come with me. You have bunch of idiots to be introduced to.”

Well, I guess this company is not that bad. Krystal is alright.

“Okay, this would be your desk. We have a computer for you here, but some intern usually prefer to bring their own laptop just because they’re more comfortable with that. All back to you, feel free to choose. And my desk would be right there, next to Jinki.”

He pointed to a small room covered by blurred glass. I bet this Jonghyun guy is also one of the studio head in here.

“Some of the people are out of the office now as you can see. But that means we are running and have something to eat for the next three months. Leave your stuff here and I’ll give you a quick tour.”

She nods and quickly following him further inside the office.

“Here is the pantry and there’s the printing room. Here supposed to be the graphic team. Where the heck is Amber?”

“She’s checking some installation at the factory. Minho cannot take over, emergency video call.”

“And why nobody notice me before?”

“He texted in the group.”

He rolled his eyes and started yelling louder than before, “You people should stop playing with your gadget too much. Are you teenager or what?”

“Don’t blame us if you decided to turn off your phone to avoid your wife’s nagging!”

“Leave my private life alone!” he turned to Taeyeon, “This is Kyuhyun, one of the men in my team, he’s funny but sometimes he forgot how to control his mouth. He’s helping us doing some mechanical calculation. He has an assistant named Roy, but I guess that kid is now still in Jeju to help some structural problem there. Kyu, this is Taeyeon. She will be with us for three months.”

He smiles or more like smirks, then back to his screen right away. Kyuhyun doesn’t look like someone who dealt with numbers and . If he said he’s an actor, Taeyeon would just swallow it.

“There’s another intern, but he’s in my structure team, his name is Jongin but Jinki started to calling him Kai the second week he’s here. Don’t ask me why because the only person understands how the nerves inside his brain work is only him and himself alone. Not even the big guy up there.”

He pointed to the sky and shrugged.

“This Jinki’s guy seemed indifferent.”

“You tell me. Sometimes I wonder myself how could he become a successful architect like that. He’s a nice guy though, just don’t be surprised if in one or another situation you cannot understand him because he’s practically living in the clouds sometimes.”

“Don’t worry, I love sky diving, so it would be alright, I guess.”

“I like the spirit!” They walked further to the left which Taeyeon didn’t expect that would be the part of the office as well because the place looks more like a coffee shop instead of design studio, and Jonghyun suddenly put the loudest level of his volume, “Yo people! I have a new intern here! She will join the design team so please be nice to her or I don’t hesitate to cut your salary.”

A girl with short hair bounced to their spot, “I’m Sunny! I’m in the design team too. That guy I’ve been talked to is Henry, he’s in my team with Bora, the girl at the corner with the headset. Did Jonghyun already shade Jinki a lot?”

“Not that much but yeah, I heard some stuff.”

“Don’t believe him. He’s just jealous because Jinki is so much more handsome than him.”

Jonghyun tapped her shoulder lightly, somehow trying to assure her like a five years old kid who has been whining for hours, “Honey, no matter how you praise him here, he won’t budge and you have no chance.”

“At least I tried,” she sings song to the advice.

“He’s more faithful than my wife and you know my wife.”

She came closer, in a whispering posture to him but still loud as a bell tower, “Jongie, even metal can be bent.”

“Jinki is not metal and actually I don’t know why I’m still here and not moving on,” Taeyeon can only hold her laughter seeing such a scene because it’s about as hilarious as SNL video she watched last night to calm her anxiety, “Anyway, is Minho still on the call?”

“Have no idea. I was here since an hour ago. You better check the conference room.”

“No need, he’s back to his seat, I saw that ogre’s head.”

“Are you really this mean to anyone cooler than you?” Sunny’s half shouting while walking back to her station, followed by the Henry guy breaks into huge laughter he lost his eyes right away.

“Just because he’s taller than me doesn’t mean he’s cooler!”

“Then ask the intern later who’s better between both of you! Oh, no. Even better. When Jinki’s here, she needs to decide who’s the hottest among you three.”

Taeyeon started questioning her decision to do the internship here once again. These people sound like they’re working on some indie magazine instead of an architecture firm. She regrets herself for sending the portfolio after hooked up on their website that’s very bright, eye-candy, and interesting. Whoever the web designer, she wanted to give them a standing applause.

“So the design division is divided into three teams. Jinki as you know, the leader of them. Sunny is handling one team, Donghae who’s not here at the moment in one team, and the last one is with Minho. Each team has three people including their head, but for Donghae, he got extra one since his projects had been crazy lately and he spent his time mostly in Jeju. Usually intern will go under Jinki directly, but as yo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter