Chapter Five

Like a Foxglove

A/N: Sorry for the long wait. Chapter 5 is here, hope you’ll enjoy and comment. Thank you my dear subbers, for staying with me.

 

   

*Grayitalics are flashbacks

 

 

Yoona is almost finish with her food when Taecyeon’s order arrived.

 

“Espresso macchiato?” Yoona asked, looking at Taecyeon’s mug and beside it was a plate of double stacked waffles with berries, fresh cream and rich maple syrup on top.     

 

“Yep, why? You like it too?”

 

“Hmn…” She nods in reply and then her stare was fixated to the large plate of mouth-watering fresh fruit fondue. A cup filled with luscious dark chocolate sat in the center, surrounded with freshly-cut strawberries, kiwis, bananas and red and green apples. There are marshmallows too!

 

Taecyeon couldn’t contain his smile as he observed Yoona. “Food is going to be our common denominator.” He thought and gently pushed the plate towards her.

 

“This is for you.”

 

“Really?’’ She beamed. “Kamsahamnida.”

 

“No problem. I think we’re on the same boat when it comes to food, eh.” He smiled and started with his food.

 

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

 

“Alright. So, you can transfer here as soon as possible.” Taecyeon said to Yoona after the latter had signed the lease agreement. At the café, Taecyeon had known that Yoona was looking for a place. He suggested an option and was glad that Yoona like the unit and decided to take it.

 

“Yea, I will. Thanks for helping me Taecyeon-ssi.” Yoona replied. “How’d you know this place?”

 

“The administrator is my friend.” He casually answered and they said their goodbyes.

 

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

 

Later that night, Yoona has transferred to her new place. She was busy arranging her stuff when she was startled by the sound of the doorbell. She wondered who could it be…

 

She came to the door to see who it was. Her jaw dropped to see a grinning Taecyeon in the monitor screen. For a moment, she had a mental battle of whether to open the door or not but her hand, seemed to have a mind of its own and twisted the knob open.

 

“Err… h-hi!” Taecyeon greeted awkwardly. “I – I’m passing by and I thought of checking if you already transferred…and obviously you did.” He was scratching the back of his head again and Yoona noticed his red ears. A light bulb flashed in her mind.

 

“Are your trying to stalk me Mr. Ok?” She asked seriously with a raised eyebrow.

 

Taecyeon could feel his muscles stiffened; his awkwardness turned into anxiety. What if his visit offended her? He should really give a good reason. “O-of c-course not, I- I’m just c-check--”

 

“Ha ha ha”

 

Taecyeon didn’t finish his explanation as he was cut off by Yoona’s laughter; she was now clutching her stomach.

 

“Aish! Yah Im Yoona!” Now, he knew that Yoona was just making fun of him. “This was the second time.” He said, apparently embarrassed.

 

“And counting! You should have seen how comical you look Taecyeon-ssi.” Yoona said in between her laughs.

 

“Yah! It must have been your life’s mission to make my life miserable, yea?” Taecyeon’s purpose was to return the prank but he noticed that Yoona stopped laughing and her face became serious. “I- I just want to joke back, why gave me such a glum face?”

 

“A-aniyo, I just remember something.” If only Taecyeon knew that it is indeed her life’s mission and even the reason why she’s talking to him right now!

 

“So, are you going to invite me in or… invite me in?” Taecyeon said grinning.

 

“And why should I, are we even close?” Yoona acting all annoyed but it came out rather playful.

 

“Well, we should be Missy, because from now on, we will be neighbors.”

 

“Mwuh? Neighbors?” Yoona couldn’t believe what she had heard.

 

“You heard it right; my unit is just in the next floor.” He said as if reading what’s on her mind.

 

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

 

Yoona was surprised at first but then considered herself lucky since it will be for her advantage. The closer she can get to him, the better. Days, weeks and now two months had passed and she has established a good or she could say a better relationship with Taecyeon. He visited her often and since both of them share the same appetite, they had couple of dinners together. He had also helped her re-design her unit and they infused a more feminine touch to it. She discovered that Taecyeon is undeniably good when it comes to construction and design, well of course because he’s the son of a construction magnate. Yoona oftentimes reminded herself that this was all an act and that she should not let her guard down. Her intention is to inflict pain and NOT to give love. She needs to do this because sometimes she felt that her being nice and sweet to Taecyeon just came out naturally. Was it because she felt comfortable (which she shouldn’t be) with him? She remembered the first time that Taecyeon invited her to his place, she was having a second thought but he was able to convince her.

 

I won’t bite.” She remembered Taec’s playful assurance and with that they headed to his unit.

 

Yoona could smell the fresh and musky scent when Taecyeon opened the door and she was awed by the structural and interior design of his place. Dominant colors were black, white and gray, the same goes with the furniture’s. “Very masculine.”  Yoona thought.

 

“Nice place.”  She blurted out.

 

Uh, thanks.”

 

“So, why am I here for?”

                                          

Taecyeon did not answer, instead he grabbed her hand; she was surprised by his sudden act and at first, wanted to free her hand from his grip but then she felt the softness and warmth of his hands and it was comforting…so she just let him hold her and led her somewhere left from the living room. Taecyeon on the other hand was aware that Yoona’s hand was a little cold and tensed for a while but relaxed soon enough. He also felt that her hands were soft as he expected, and seems like it was especially made to perfectly fit his’. He felt so elated by just holding her…and he wanted to keep holding her forever… but regretfully, they reached their destination and he let go of her hand.

 

“Can you tell me what we are doing here in your kitchen? Are you inviting me for dinner?” Yoona inquired eagerly and trying to ignore the feeling of disappointment when Taecyeon freed her hand.

 

“Hehe…sort of but you need to… help me first?” Taecyeon cheekily replied.

 

“Pftt, so I need to be your maid first before I can eat?” She half-heartedly complained.

 

“No pain, no gain sweetie.” Taecyeon winked at her and turned to take out some things from the cabinet. “Is seafood pizza okay with you?”

 

“Sure, and while your working with the dough, I’ll slice the other ingredients.” Yoona offered and after she finished her part she ask for a pack of macaroni and started with her ever favorite macaroni and cheese.

 

Taecyeon briefly stopped at what he was doing and took a glance at a busy Yoona. Her back is facing him, she is wearing a pink shirt and white shorts with his white apron, her hair was tied in a pony tail, to him, she looks alluring even in that simple clothing.

 

“Even just her back view is so appealing. It must be really good to go home everyday to this sight.” He dreamily thought.

 

He observed that Yoona was too concentrated on what she was doing and Taecyeon came up with a sly idea. He approached the oblivious girl and stopped when he was standing just behind her. 

 

“BOOM!”

 

Taecyeon was so entertained by the result of his move. Yoona was too startled by his thunderous voice. Her reaction was priceless! He moved backwards when she jumped out of fright and the ladle that she was holding flew up and “plop”, alas, it landed on her head. Taecyeon heard her groan an “ouch”, he felt sorry for her but he couldn’t suppressed his laughter. Yoona, after recovering from her shock, turned to face the culprit, with a perfect plan to avenge herself. She pretended to act like she was going to cry and with her head down, she moved towards the table, and then she deliberately slammed both of her palms on the flour. Seeing this, Taecyeon stopped laughing, he was alarmed. He took a step towards her; a little scared that he must have gone overboard.

 

“Yoona…I’m so-”

 

His apology was cut off when Yoona swiftly smacked her flour-coated palms to his face. Taecyeon was shocked and the next thing that he heard was Yoona’s glorious laughter which filled the room.         

 

“You’re raging war Ok Taecyeon, and I’m not the one to easily admit defeat.” She grinned triumphantly.

 

“Neither I am.” Taecyeon evilly smirked as he dipped his hands on the flour and with a rapid movement reached and get hold of Yoona. He put his other arm around her. “Sweetie, this war is not over yet…”

 

Yoona shrieked and struggled but Taecyeon was way stronger and with his free hand, he smeared Yoona’s flawless cheeks with flour. Yoona elbowed him, a little harder out of purpose and because of the pain, Taecyeon released her. Yoona was about to attack again but stop when she saw him slumped to the floor, clutching his stomach.

 

“Oopps, did I hit him that hard?” She guiltily thought and was about to bend down to check on him.

                               

But just like a bolt from the blue, Taecyeon suddenly grabbed her. The impact made Yoona tripped and him to lose his balance and the next thing that happen was that he felt her on top of him. Yoona’s eyes opened wide, their faces are just inches away. She wanted to get up but unexplainably can’t.

 

She froze.

 

He froze.

 

She looked at Taecyeon with the same dazed expression as hers, his cheeks and ears are equally red. She could feel his heart thumping wildly against her chest. Taecyeon on the other hand could likewise feel the riotous pounding of the girl’s heart on his top. Yoona’s sparkling and widened eyes was staring back at him, her cheeks were tinted bright pink, mouth slightly open as if tempting him to taste its sweetness. Both of them only snapped out of their reverie when the awful smell of burnt food hit their nose.

 

“Th-the pasta!” Yoona stuttered as she got up awkwardly. Taecyeon quickly helped himself and got up too.             

 

Yoona began walking robotically but stopped when she felt the weight on both of her shoulders… Taecyeon was behind her, holding her… She closed her eyes, aware of their closeness. “Oh God, what is he do-doing?” The question ran to her mind and she felt her heart beating faster than usual. Then she heard him whisper.

 

Taecyeon detect Yoona’s tenseness “Where are you going Yoona?” (They’ve decided to dropped the formalities not long ago)

 

“Ki-kitchen. P-pasta.” She answered stammering. “Aish!” Yoona was silently cursing herself because she felt like an idiot right now but can do nothing about it.

 

“The kitchen is over there.” Taecyeon said and led her to the opposite direction.

 

“Ah… R-right. Must be because it’s my first time here. Keke…” What a lame alibi, even she knew it.

 

The pasta was a disaster so they settled with seafood pizza and spicy buffalo wings. The awkward atmosphere faded out and that little ‘incident’ has been temporarily forgotten as soon as both Taecyeon and Yoona attacked the food hungrily.

 

Yoona felt her cheeks blushed at the flashback. And now, she needed to go to his place again because Taecyeon had called and asked her for some analgesic. Based on his voice over the phone, she could imply that he’s really in a bad state. Perfect! This is her chance to play as a Good Samaritan and earn more points. She reached out and opened her medicine cabinet and took some tablets.

 

It was already the second time that Yoona had pressed the door bell’s button yet there’s no response. “He must be sleeping…” She mused. As she was about to press again, the door opened.

 

“Taecyeon?”                                                 

 

A very sick-looking Taecyeon welcomed her. He was draped in a fleece blanket. His jet black hair was messy and has dark circles around his eyes, his curvy lips were pale and dry and discomfort was written all over his face.

                                                                                       

“Sorry to bother you...” He apologized in a frail voice.

 

“Gosh! How long have you been sick?” Yoona couldn’t hide her concern. She reached for Taecyeon’s temple and checked his temperature. “You’re too hot!”

 

“Took you long enough to realized eh?” He winked at her and in return, earned a gentle whack on his right arm. “Ouch! Is this how you treat a sick and helpless man?”

 

“Yeah right, a sick, hopeless man who is so full of himself.” Yoona stuck her tongue out and closed the door behind. “You should have called me earlier.”

 

“I don’t want to be a burden. My friend Khun is out of the country and I’m trying to call Sica but looks like she’s busy, she’s not picking up…” Taecyeon tried to explain.

 

“Okay, enough with the explanations. Just go to your room and I’ll get a glass of water.” Yoona cooed.

 

“Neh, umma.” Was Taecyeon’s playful reply.

 

 “Sheesh…such a kid!” Yoona chided him and went to the kitchen.

 

She came back with a glass of water, which she put down in the side table and she took the medicine from her short’s pocket. Taecyeon was already asleep so Yoona took her time studying his handsome feature, he looks so peaceful, really harmless, and…angelic!

"Your sleeping face isn't so bad," she murmured as she ran her fingers to fix his muddled hair. “But unfortunately, you happened to be my enemy…” She bitterly whispered, although she couldn’t understand herself, as day by day she was getting drawn to him. 

“Taec, wake-up…you need to take medicine first.” She doesn’t want to disturb him but she felt the need to, his temperature is rising.

“Hmnnn…umma…” Taecyeon mumbled.

Yoona chuckled. “Tsk! Such a big man but still a mama’s boy.” But this fact warmed her heart for he must be really close to his umma. She shook him again, this time a little harder. “Taec, wake-up…”  

He stirred and slowly opened his eyes. “Oh, Yoona-ah… I’ve slept.” He said groggily.

“I hate to wake you up but you need to take this, ahh…” She helped him up and took the tablet and motioned Taecyeon to open his mouth, which the latter obeyed. She then plopped the medicine to his mouth and gave him the water.   

“Thanks.”

 

“No problem, just go back to sleep.”  Yoona then headed to the bathroom and search for a towel, she also got a basin of warm water and started tending to her patient.

 

She just came back from the kitchen when she heard him groan…

 

“Co-cold…” Taecyeon is shivering despite being covered with the thick comforter. “C-cold…” He groaned again.

 

“What am I going to do?” Yoona panicked. She doesn’t like the sight of him trembling in cold so she did what was on her mind. She climbed into his bed and got into the sheets and hugged him tight.

 

Taecyeon, although dizzy, felt something warm and soft wrapped around him, the feeling was so comforting and so he hugged it even tighter and went to dreamland. Yoona on the other hand was about to jolt out when Taecyeon suddenly wrapped his hand on her tiny waist and pulled her closer to him. But then, her body reaction was different than of her mind. She like their closeness and it lulled her to sleep.

 

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

 

Meanwhile, Jessica had finished her duty and since it was still early, she decided to call Taecyeon. But when she looked at her phone…

 

“Oh crap! 6 missed calls from Taec oppa.” She gasped. “I am dead, I’ll better do something… hmmnn, a surprise visit is not a bad idea.”  She thought and hurried to her car with her brilliant plan.

 

Using the key that Taecyeon gave her, Jessica opened the main door and cautiously closed it, being extra careful not to make noise. The empty living room welcomed her. “He must be in the kitchen.” So, she tip-toed to the kitchen but… nobody is in sight. “Or maybe he was out… or maybe sleeping?” The second idea seems odd because it is still broad daylight, but she still chose to go to his room and slowly opened the door.

               

Jessica was more than shocked to the scene right in front of her. Her oppa, Taecyeon was in bed with someone!? She could not clearly see the girl’s face because her hair is covering half of her face but what was clear to Jessica was that HER boyfriend and the girl was under one blanket and he was hugging her tightly. She can even see the smile that formed on his oppa’s lips, he looks so serene, not a tiny trace of guiltiness on his face. The view was just too painful for her to bear but she doesn’t have the heart to confront them. All she wanted right now was to get away from his place. With suppressed cry, she hurriedly left the room, but when she passed by the living room, the frame on top of the table caught her attention. It was her and Taec’s picture. She stopped and reached for it. The picture shows a lovely couple, Taecyeon is smiling widely and had his arm around her shoulder while she is smiling brightly as well. Taecyeon never cheated on her in two years of their relationship. Is he cheating on her now? She put the frame facing down and left with her heart shattered into pieces.