Prologue: She Walks Away

Minseoks' Universe

Minseok sighs when the call fails to connect. He dials the number again. He really can’t believe she walked out on him and their 2 week old daughter. She took all of her belongings while he was in class. She had texted him his daughter was with a mutual friend of theirs and told him to pick her up. Said she wasn’t going to make it home. She really meant I’m leaving. He had gone to pick up their daughter, gone home, put her to bed. Belatedly realized all of her belongings were gone. He had tried calling her right away, only to get sent to the inbox.

On the bedside table there had been a letter and their engagement ring. In the letter she wrote him she said she wasn’t strong enough to raise a child, she wasn’t ready. She was still far too young. The pregnancy had only put her dreams on hold. She wished him luck and happiness. Asked him to not look for her. Lastly, she said she was no longer in love with him.

Just as the tone goes to the mailbox for the fiftieth time, his daughter starts to cry. He picks her up from her crib and cradles her in his arms. ‘It’s okay, baby. Daddy’s here. Shh.’ He rocks. Her crying doesn’t let down. He gets up paces back and forth trying to get her to calm down. She continues to wail. 'Please stop crying.’ He pleads her.

When she doesn’t quiet down for thirty minutes he calls his mother. She answers on the second ring. 'Hello sweetie,’ he hears her say.

'Mom,’ he cries out. 'I need help. She walked out and Woojoo won’t stop crying.’ He says.

'Have you fed her? Changed her diaper? When did she leave will she be coming back?’ His mother questions.

'I haven’t fed her,’ he says. 'I don’t think she will be coming back.’

'Okay, just feed her, she’ll calm down if all she was making a fuss for was because she was hungry.’ She says, 'I’ll come over for a couple days help you for a bit walk you through taking care of her. Don’t worry everything will be fine.’

'Thanks mom, I love you.’ He says as he hangs up the phone.

His daughter still cradled in his arms he begins to make a bottle. He reads the instructions on the baby formula. After making it as the instructions say he should, he shakes the bottle vigorously letting the water and formula mix well. He feeds his daughter and she quickly falls asleep. He sighs in relief.

The following day early in the morning his mom knocks on his door. She makes a joke about how tired he looks. He lets her in telling her how Woojoo had decided to cry all night long. He leaves for class, with a note to contact the universities daycare. His mother will only be here for a week or two he needs to figure out who will take care of her while he is at work.

After class he heads back home, talks with his mother. He shows her the letter she had left him. She sighs and asks him what he wants to do. She lets him know that she will support him on his decision. If he wants to put Woojoo up for adoption or raise her himself, she will be right there to support him. He’s already got the necessary papers he needs to fill out and send in a few of Woojoo’s shots information.

He leaves for work, he works as a barista at a coffee shop near his university.

His mother is a great help during the 2 weeks she stayed she was able to get his Daughter on a schedule. He is to feed and burp her every four hours. Check her diaper every now and then.

She had gotten approved for the university daycare. Having her on a schedule was going to make their job that much easier. She was only 4 weeks old most of the time she was asleep anyways.

His groups of friends had all agreed to help him take care of her when they found out her mother had bailed. On Mondays and Thursdays, Jongdae would care for her with the help of Yixing on Thursdays. On Tuesdays, Baekhyun had volunteered. On Wednesdays, Junmyeon was free. On Fridays, Chanyeol had signed up for. Saturdays and Sundays were Minseoks’ days.

° ¤ ° ¤ ° ¤ ° ¤ °

I purposely didn’t name the mother.

I will be posting the chapters/drabbles first on my writing tumblr: Jack3f