Change Up

Tall, Short, Short, Tall
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It wasn't that Jeon Wonwoo was a nasty person, because for the past three days he had offered nothing but advice, guidance, time, effort and free food for Minah. 

 

It wasn't that Wonwoo was an insensitive jerk, because he noticed very quickly when she frowned at choice of bread at the cafeteria, and had kindly suggested that she saw past the unappealing appearances to try the heavenly red bean pastry. 

 

It wasn't that Wonwoo was bothersome, because he was very focused in class and did not bother Minah at all during class periods. He was clearly a good student who was focused on his studies, and from what Minah had heard from other classmates, he was very academically inclined. 

 

It wasn't that Wonwoo was loud, because beyond saying what was necessary, like giving her a tour of the school or reminding which teacher had what sort of expectations, Wonwoo would just watch her and nod at the appropriate parts of her speech. 

 

And of course, it wasn't that Wonwoo was undeserving of adoration. Minah's old school did not have a bowling programme and as it turned out, Wonwoo would be the first bowler she knew of her age. He wasn't exactly the ace of his team, but she watched one of his practices (he invited the twins almost too eagerly) and he was good enough to be playing for the team as opposed to being a bench-warmer. He was also very fond of the library and reading in general, which Minah thought might explain his quiet nature. It could be that his personality pulled him to the place, or that his liking for the place molded him into who he is. Either way, Minah thought the boy behind the glasses suited the place. 

 

Minah would genuinely count herself lucky to have Wonwoo as her first new friend in this school, but she pretended to reluctantly admit to that when the boy asked over lunch if she felt too that they were "officially friends". 

 

It's just that Minah couldn't help but notice that her brother's occasional gazes at him had a load of unreadable emotions in them. Minah tried convincing Wonwoo that rather than just the two of them hanging out, it would be more fun to have her brother join them someday. He simply shrugged and followed suit, not showing any signs of discomfort nor particular elation. 

 

Yet Wonwoo was not the only change in her life that Minah had to adjust to or worry about at the moment. 

 

She kicked the ground uneasily as she stared at the track from the side. She had reported to her first day of activities early out of pure anxiety and courtesy. She was the top runner in her middle school in Busan, and while she could not say the same about her first high school year in Busan, she was still a close second. Whether she would be up to par here she couldn't be too sure. 

 

The female track and field team eventually appeared at the track, and Minah quickly went up to whoever Wonwoo had pointed out to be the team captain in the cafeteria earlier that day. She spotted a few familiar faces in the team. She had competed against some of these girls in her middle school days when there were national competitions, but she could not really recall their names in that moment. All she could remember was to try appearing confident while shaking the hand of the captain, a girl named Nayoung in her sen

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter