Love & Letter

Tall, Short, Short, Tall
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"I told you to turn up in a disguise and you're just wearing a common over-sized shirt?" Minah scoffed when Jihoon arrived unceremoniously late for their meeting.

 

"I stole Seungcheol's shirt from the laundry so this is definitely disguise. I feel principally repulsed by my own decision already. You owe me one," the boy deadpanned. "Besides, you are wearing that one highly identifiable dress you have. Your attempt is worse than mine." 

 

Minah felt the corner of her lips twitch in a moment of carelessness, so she covered hastily in a mock yawn and grabbed her best friend's shoulder, pulling him towards the direction of their destination down the street. Their hasty footsteps created an odd heart-racing rhythm as the two walked down the asphalt pavement. Minah was apprehensive and exhilarated at the same time. When she agreed to Wonwoo's invitation to a hangout, or a "date" as Jihoon liked to call it, her mind was already made up that she would not be the one to turn up at the cafe. It took her multiple nights of dropping hints and blatant persuasion attempts to her brother for Mingyu to finally take up the offer in her place. Jihoon complimented her discreetly during their night practices, and it was her devil of a friend who suggested they should follow the shy males on their terribly uninteresting date (because "Seriously? Poetry reading the first time you ask a girl out? That is terribly boring. I doubt he's serious about dating you, specifically," said Jihoon as he scoffed at Wonwoo's invitation when Minah first informed him of the situation.) 

 

If it was not for Jihoon's quick reflexes in pulling her behind a car parked at the sidewalk, Minah would have flouted their mission before it even commenced. Forcibly shoving her head down (much to Minah's annoyance, since they were about the same height) to hide themselves, Jihoon pointed to the cafe across the street, currently packed with like-minded people like Wonwoo who were there for a refined afternoon of poetry slam. Her brother looked oddly out of place, or rather in her mind she envisioned him to be so. A sports geek in the middle of some literature nerds, and no matter how Wonwoo seemed to be whispering to Mingyu some sort of details about their environment to ease him in, the taller boy looked visibly nervous about the event. Much to their condolences, though, Jihoon and Minah noted that the pair seemed to be interacting just fine. 

 

"You can tell Mingyu is fitting right in," Jihoon commented halfway through the performance of the first poet. The two had now settled down at another cafe across the street, continuing their quest to observe the anxious brother and assist his first date with his crush from a distance. 

 

"Really? I thought he looked out of place," Minah indicated skeptically, eyes still fixated on the pair across the street. 

 

"Yea, the poetry maybe. He's doing that quizzical look he has when he doesn't understand something. But when the waiter served the food just now, you can tell he was enthusiastically explaining the plate to Wonwoo. He was gesturing at the pancakes and all. Anyone who has a passion for food will survive a conversation for sure," he said lazily as he took another sip of his own drink. "He's probably still on about it." 

 

Perhaps Minah was clouded by the vicarious anxiety for her brother. It was, after all, an unsaid secret that she shared with her sibling for all these years. Sure he looked out of place in that shiny cafe, because he was all tanned and tall and unsure how to react to poetry. Yet he definitely was holding up well against Wonwoo, possibly. There was not too much exchange due to the performance, but Mingyu did look like he was slowly getting comfortable and no longer tensing beside their friend. 

 

"They'll be fine. You might as well start betting how many hours they would hang out today," Jihoon said as he ordered the two of them some burgers.

 

Minah successfully tore her eyes from the pair to focus on her own food when they were served. The moment she looked away, she felt like she finally let out a breath that she had been holding in since she spotted her brother. Wearing a dress did not help, since she felt uncomfortable to say the least. 

 

"We're leaving after I finish up this monstrous burger," Jihoon declared without looking up from his humongous order. Minah frowned into her burger. 

 

"Why?" Minah asked with full. That earned her a serviette in the face as Jihoon threw it at her, chuckling a soft "disgusting" in her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter