lost him

Beautiful Thing

Cheol looked up. It was the snowy day. 

It had been a long day after the ceremony when he saw Hoon. Besides that he constantly paid a visit to the market, looking for a chance to probably bump into him, however, he had no chance. 

Today, he went to the market a little late than usual. He went there with his father this time. As the father made a way to find a simple gift for his wife, Cheol created his own way to go to his favourite store. 

An older man wanted to close his store, so Cheol fastened his pace. 

Hyungnim?”

The latter turned back. Shocking, he dropped his jaw then continued to close his store. 

“Where do you want to go, hyungnim?” 

“To the shrine, the grandfather was going there this morning. I have to walk him back to home.” 

Cheol’s brow was wrinkled as the older male explained. Something was odd. 

“Can I go with you?” 

Before the male could answer, Cheol’s father went approaching him. The keeper bowed his head, hanging his head low as he saw the father of the kid wearing a high-quality fabric that only upper men could afford to have it. 

“Who is he?”

“He is…hyungnim. He is kind to me and Hoon. Can I go with him, father?”

Cheol’s father scrutinised him from head to toe, his eyes examined what person that familiar with his son. When he found nothing wrong with the man, his eyes darted back to Cheol. 

“Where?”

“A shrine,” Cheol quickly answered. 


It was a typical shrine they would go for praying. Cheol was familiar with the shrine, obviously, all of the members of his family went there once a week. Even when the royal came with him, this shrine would be on the top of the list. Although they went to another shrine at the northern part, Cheol and family would always make themselves appeared in this shrine. 

Well—undoubtedly he made himself home, bowing to each monk he met. His father did as well. 

Without any question, they followed the Wonwoo guy behind until they met with his grandfather who wailing in front of a name. Along with the elderly. They were baffled. Meanwhile Cheol, he was walking with a slow gait, approaching the elderly while his eyes pointed at the placard. 

As if a thunder hit him, he went limb and broke down. 

“Hoon,” he cried out. Shouting. There were no things left behind besides the name on the board. 

It wrenched his heart, even his father held him in his embrace and letting his son lamenting over someone. Up till he glanced at the board and read the name. He knew. 

But far from them, Cheol’s father noticed a familiar figure standing near the doorframe. Like exhausted of crying, General Choi knew what the figure had been through. He called Wonwoo guy to stay beside his son when he wanted to speak with the figure. 

Not long to wait, the figure bowed down. 

“Hyungnim…”

“Jaehwan-ah.” 

“He is gone…I don’t know why I let the royal finding him when I keep him safe. Why…why Hongbin is afraid of his child??” 

The General could not say anything. He knew the sorrow. However he could not imagine, the brother-in-law could raise the Crown Prince’s child so dearly. He should make the family that having a royal blood inside safe. He should have. Despite the fact, he realised how much sad Cheol could feel from losing someone dearly like that. 

“It’s Nayeon’s child. Jihoon should have grown healthy—not murdered like this.” 

A loud thump was heard. General Choi and the Jooheon man turned his head and found Cheol fainted near them. Wonwoo could not help as the kid ran to his father and eavesdropped the conversation. After that, he got shocked and fainted due to the biggest blow. 


General Choi stayed beside his son after sending Hoon’s ash along with his in-law. His wife was there too. They remained in silence as they prayed for Cheol waking up. He was staying in a deep slumber for a week. His healthy condition decreased a lot. Mingyu and his father occasionally visited the family and stayed in their mansion for Cheol’s sake. However, the kid did not show any hint of being conscious. 

“Hoon—Hoon,” the kid startled his parents. General Choi grabbed Cheol’s hand and rubbed against his skin gently. 

“Wake up son…please my son,” despite his strong appearance, he shredded a tear by seeing his son weak like this. Lady Choi could not say anything and pray hard inside her heart, holding on the other hand of Cheol, she did drop a tear on her cheek. 

“Your brother kills our son’s health,” General Choi said, deadpan. Lady Choi wiped her tears, lifting up her head and looking at her husband’s eye. 

“Why do you say like that?” 

“He killed his own son, then our son if this brat doesn’t make it.” 

Cheol got back to his calm state, breathing softly as his body reacted to what his father told. As if it proved his father that everything could make him stay—as long as…

Lady Choi gasped. “You said what,?!” She bridled her tones, not wanting the whole mansion knew what they bickered about. She was disbelief her ears, hearing her beloved husband to blame her brother for what their son went through. 

“The little kid….the one Seungcheol tagged along that night, he was our nephew,” the General did not take his eyes off his son, knowing how much the kid wanted to be close to his friend, his heart torn into pieces, “your brother——Hongbin killed him that because that kid endangered his title. That because of his existence would harm the family while the poor kid only did study and dream of being a poet. Jaehwan raised him—with all of attention and love because it was Nayeon’s son. Her one and only son.”

Owing to sudden rude awakening, she loosened her grip on her son. She was naive to believe that it was unreal to hear scandal from the golden chair. She thought it was a rumour that spreading in the midst of people who disliked the current Crown Prince. But it was true—although she did not see it, it was from her husband’s lips. She can not believe the bitter truth was slipped from the husband. 

“Seungcheol like that kid. Mingyu told me everything. Even — you see his smile after the ceremony? Like having a parcel gift, he showed that silly grin…I miss that smile, I miss our son’s smile,” the General broke down. 

That night. Everything changed their life. 


 

In the different life, under the same sky. Born in the same country. Spoke in the same language. Within a year apart, something brought them together as if the Heaven granted the poor kid’s appeal. 

“Let me protect him—I’ve not yet told him how much I like him before.”