met him

Beautiful Thing

Cheol came back to the market, along with Mingyu. He put his eyes on so much alert, in case he found the guy who caught his attention back then. In the midst of market, he still could not catch the little man so he decided to go right to the store where the last time he saw him. 

Soon he arrived there, he looked at Mingyu, giving an askance look as if begging the older to ask. Because the keeper was quite younger than yesterday. 

“Excuse me?” 

The man lifted up his head. “Yes?” 

Mingyu held Cheol’s hand tight, likely showing a sign of nervousness. “Where is the old man?” 

“My grandfather? He is resting in my house. Why? You want to give back the book you borrow?” 

Mingyu shook his head. “No—just—”

“Where is Hoon?” Cheol suddenly butted in. The man’s brow scrunched up. “Hoon? You know my grandfather’s customer?” 

“No—your grandfather said a little guy this kid saw was Hoon,” Mingyu quickly covered up, on behalf of Cheol. The latter just showed no expression, although he got the answer. 

“It was my grandfather’s favourite. I heard the story about Hoon guy, however, I just met him once,” he told. Cheol nodded. 

“You can wait if you want, though I don’t think he’ll come today,” he added. 

Cheol went straight to the row of poet compilation shelves. “Why?” His finger moved on its own, grabbing one roll. 

“As far as I know from my grandfather, he is not friendly towards others, unless you are part the elderly. He is living with some elders. Well—I don’t know in this society, a little young man can live with the elderly.” 

Cheol hummed, having no idea to respond, so he just listened to the man’s story. 

“Perhaps…he live near the shrine, I heard there are a lot of seniors there,” Mingyu commented. 

“I have gone there, the shrine that might be popped out in your mind, but there is no one named Hoon,” he deadpanned, “beside the man usually wears fine clothes to market. Only his sandals which seems managed unwell, a lot of scars.” 

“He walks for a long way, then—how could he get here?” 

“Dunno, no one pays attention to him besides my grandfather. One of his friends ever stalked him, but he went straight to the forest. No wonder he got many stretches, right?” 

Mingyu shrugged his shoulder. Then his eyes looked for Cheol, “I guess he won’t come today, let’s go back before it’s too late, kiddo, you’ll have a tea ceremony tonight.” 

“Oh—I forget something, that Hoon,” the man caught Cheol’s attention for him, “he was a poet and musician. Grandfather has some inside his room, besides last week, he played an instrument at the festival for elderly.” 

“Oh,” he put back the roll back to its place. “I wish I could hear his play.” 

“Me too, the grandfather said he played too well—like a gift from the Heaven, no one could play such beautiful music like him,” the man stated further. Cheol smiled, as he walked out from the store by himself. He was still busy with his thoughts, unintentionally walked out without a guard by his side, then he turned back. 

Mingyu was late, grinning widely as he took a roll with him. 

“What’s that for, hyungnim?” 

He still grinned. “His name is Wonwoo.” 

Cheol blinked his eyes owlishly, unbelieved of what he saw before. The older man was so smitten by that storekeeper, also the young man did not want to argue with him—because they felt like in the same boat now. 


As the night came, stars brightly shone and lightened up the road to the palace. Cheol fidgeted his finger against his clothes, he was so bored inside his carriage. Because once a month, he shall be dragged by his parents to the palace. Meeting with the King and the Crown Prince was a dull activity for his liking, besides he preferred to wish his parent making the tea ceremony this year in their residence instead of the palace. 

Even after the ceremony and the family gathered around, Cheol would like to sit beside his brothers, silently drinking his medicine and sipping on his tea. While listening to the instrument that the Crown Prince brought to them for a rare time. Occasionally Cheol peeked through a squinting eye when he sipped his drink, the figure seemed familiar. The family chatted, behind the mask Cheol could swear they looking unhappy, especially the Crown Prince who held his Crown Princess tensely. Cheol furrowed his brow, squinted hard until his brother nudged him. 

“Jealous?” 

Cheol hissed silently, “no, thanks.” 

The brother patted his head, “soon after, you’ll find yours. After you improve your health.” The family only purred at his joke, however, Cheol refused to hear what has he heard, plus he knew his condition well. He was the unhealthy man that raised behind the throne. 

Suddenly, a eunuch came closer to the King and whispered something. Cheol squinted at them, out of nowhere he got an idea. 

“What’s wrong?” 

All the eyes turned to look at Cheol. “The little kid gets a nature call,” the King explained. Cheol grinned. 

“Can I come too? I hold it too long because I’m afraid I don’t have a friend to have the same nature call.” He pulled a silly toothy grin over his face, the family turned into a mass of snicker. 

“Still a kid, go — besides you look bored to sit around the older, right?” 

The princess’ son still plastered a toothy grin while standing and walking down from the pavilion. Withal the King also let the kid that the Crown Prince brought to the family gathering, to be taken along with Cheol. 

During the walk, Cheol walked at the front, like a servant the kid walked behind him. 

“Your name is Hoon?” 

A sound of the step was unheard. The little kid halted. “How do you know, Your Highness?” 

“My name is Cheol, but as a princess’ son, don’t address me like that. Just hyungnim, is it okay? Besides I guess I’m much older than you,” Cheol stopped his step as well, turning back as he drew a toothy grin to make the latter at ease. 

Hoon nodded. 

“That’s good. So, let’s finish what the nature wants us? Because I have many stories to be told, well—I don’t mind to share what inside my mind, because I’m bored,” he said, catching the latter to continue to walk beside him, a second later. 

Cheol was satisfied. 

That night, he realised that he had never felt so much happier before. The kid that caught his eyes, it was really something he treasured. Like what the grandfather told to his grandson, like the storekeeper told him, the kid was unreal to be true. Like a gift from Heaven, Cheol wanted to keep the kid for himself. 

Because, just staying beside him, he felt safe somehow. Even the silence when they walked together back to the pavilion, it did not feel unpleasant.