found him

Beautiful Thing

It was Joseon era he lived in. He was a patrician who living a bad life. Being a part of the wealthy family, having a connection with the minister and his family, it was a dream of everyone. A dream of anyone who lived on a chilly night without something to warm themselves. A dream of everyone who lived in a dream of walking back and forth in the palace. However, it was not part of his dream. 

“Cheol,” a familiar voice snapped him out from his thoughts. As always, he put his mind into a deep thinking, over his family, over his status, over— he shall stop before gaining another nag from the man who had been put by his father. Due to his sickness, he shall be watched by the oldest son of the royal physician. Curse his family because he got a special treatment, he blamed secretly. 

He coughed. “Oh, yeah…I’m sorry.” 

The young man smiled. “Boring? Let’s go to the market, we can see something interesting there.” 

Cheol furrowed his brow. “Don’t kid me, the last you take me, it’s the house of your father.” 

The man didn’t say any words, simply pulling the kid outside the home. “Lady Choi will be mad if she knows I drag you to the market, though.” Cheol followed him in silence, not wanting to respond, neither to ask where the guard headed to. 

Once they arrived at the market, Cheol looked around, spotting those merchants who usually came to his house, having a trade conversation with the local seller. At his left, there were a lot of people selling the clothes, the drugs, the accessories, however, his eyes paused at a particular young man who stepped out from the public library. A young man in delicate pastel clothes, wearing a usual hogeon which Cheol could recognise in one look. He absentmindedly tugged his guard gently, dragging the man to look at his direction. 

“Who’s that, hyungnim?” 

The man shrugged his shoulder lightly, had no idea who he talked about. “I saw none, Cheol.” 

The latter pouted. “A little boy with hogeon, he brought many books from that store.” His finger pointed out. The man sighed. 

“Okay—let’s ask, but don’t expect anyone could help you.” 

Cheol firmly dragged him to the store, bowed down at the storekeeper. “Excuse me, Sir…” 

“Want to borrow some books?” The old man pulled a warm smile. “Well—”

The one who watched over Cheol pulled him aside. “ Excuse me, this kid by any means spotted a guy walking out from here, did you by accidentally have a guest before us?” 

The man nodded, made the smiling still unveiled. “Yes, the usual one. It’s Hoon. Nice boy.” 

The guard turned, looking at smiling Cheol. He let out a heavy sigh, bowing down to the keeper. “Thank you for the information, Sir.” 

But Cheol remained there, smiling at the old man. “What information do you want, young kid?” 

The guard pulled him. “He is silly, Sir. May I have your permission and don’t disturb your time.” The old man only waved his hand at them as they left the place. Without the guard knowing, Cheol whispered a promise to pay a visit to the old man tomorrow. 

During the silent way back to home, Cheol smiled to himself. 

“Don’t tell me you remind of him.”

Cheol hummed. 

“Hoon…Hoon…like I have heard that name before.” 

The guard chuckled. 

“Can I meet him, hyungnim?” 

“Cheol, you know it’s … hard to meet someone else outside the house. You’re…” 

“…fragile. I know. But I want to make a friend…somewhere not relating to the private school. And I don’t want to befriend with other merchants’ son, nor the ministers’ sons. Even the princes.” 

“You know…” 

“I know. I’m a son of the princess. A grandson of General and King. A son of Minister of Trade. But … hyungnim, their sons are not suited to my liking. Even their daughters. They just mock my conditions. I wish I could be like my brothers. Strong and having a good friend. But it’s fake.” 

“Cheol…” 

The kid’s smile turned into a frown. His thoughts got back to its place, resting again deep inside his mind. 

“The market is full of people. They don’t know my background, so they just pass me by without talking any about me. It’s a nice place. No one knows me. Even the old man smiled at me.” 

He clenched his fist, stopped walking. So did the guard. He squatted before the kid he protected. 

“I will accompany you there—beside it’s the shop I wish to find earlier. At least,” he soothed him into the ease, “don’t bombard the poor uncle with questions.” 

Cheol nodded firmly, he wiped his tears and hugged the older man. As if he was his little brother, the physician’s son caressed the kid’s back gently. 


“Cheol, where were you going?” His mother welcomed his precious son into a huge bear hug. She wrapped him as if she never wanted her son going out without any news to her. 

“I’m sorry, Ma’am. I have brought him to the market.” The man looked down, feeling guilty to take him along to the market without any permission. 

“Mom, don’t be mad at Mingyu hyungnim. I was bored at home,” Cheol whined. 

The lady bobbed her head, caressed his back softly, “Okay, okay.” Soon, he got escorted back to his room, meanwhile, the one he called hyungnim went back to his home. 

-계속