The Impressions, ready and steady

The Sparks in Your Eyes

I’m terribly sorry regarding Kris’ birthday, It was supposed to be on November 6th instead of 25th (I got mixed up with my friend’s birthday lmao T_T) so the story timeline should be :

  • 2nd Quidditch match (Gryffindor vs Slytherin) will be on November 7th, the day after Kris’ birthday.

 

This information is shared for those who haven’t read the edited version of chapter 7. Once again, I’m truly sorry!

 

 

 

 

Honeydukes, a small shop placed somewhere in Hogsmeade, was usually where every kind of sweets were sold and mostly students spent their precious weekends there to sugar-rush themselves after the long, exhausting days. The constant tinkles from the shop’s doorbell could be heard from time to time, showing how much Hogwarts students really loved sweets, ignoring the facts that eating too much sugar might damage their pretty teeth including the mischievous Kims that had been spending their last three hours in the shop. It was a cold, early November, just six days before the upcoming most awaited match, Gryffindor versus Slytherin and most importantly, a certain Slytherin’s headboy birthday party was going to be held a day just before the big match.

 

Zitao almost forgot, almost, Kris’ birthday due to the chaos that happened to him for these past few months after becoming a prefect. His lost wands, the paintings and his little quarrel with Kris had distraught him to the point that he nearly forgotten Kris’ present. Zitao had never been absent to give the older a present for the past three years, such as messy portrait drawing of Kris in a crumpled paper because Zitao had no enough money to buy the older something in his first year, or a thin silver bracelet with a carving of an ancient Chinese dragon (Zitao bought this one when he visited his grandparents in China on semester break), and a jar of candies for Kris he bought from Honeydukes that lasted forever in his third year. This year, Zitao wanted to give the older more than something he just bought, something more special as a gratitude for the past four years he had been causing Kris troubles.

 

And as an innocent young boy who had never done something he had been planning, Zitao was almost doomed if not because of his life savior, Oh Sehun’s friend.

 

Zitao was now sitting silently around the corner of a small, flashy pink-colored Madam Puddifoot’s Tea Shop, drinking a warm cup of tea, the place where Zitao planned for their meeting. The shop was cramped with couples snogging each other, it was indeed the infamous dating spot in Hogsmeade and Zitao tried to stay as far as possible from the sickening crowd from his table. Sehun said his friend was a master in this kind of ‘thing’, the young seeker had planned their meet up just before his Quidditch practice, and Zitao came ten minutes earlier than he was supposed to because Sehun had said that his friend was a 5th year, not wanting to be rude.

 

Zitao had agreed to meet Sehun’s friend not only because he was desperate enough, but also school doesn’t require their students to use their school uniforms on weekends, so it wouldn’t be as much frightening to hang out with another Gryffindor if he ever spotted his housemates somewhere in the shop. Zitao wore a simple black turtle neck sweater and a red scarf, also black leather jeans with a combat boots. When he was checking himself out, a short boy with brunette hair sat in front of him with a big smile, and Zitao immediately stopped whatever he was doing.

 

“You must be Huang Zitao right?” The boy smiled warmly, extending his hand.

 

“Yes, and you must be Byun Baekhyun?” Zitao returned the smile and the handshake, relaxing at the friendly boy in front of him.

 

“Oh my, You’re gorgeous up close! You’re all in black, but that doesn’t make you look gloomy or as bad as Snape, oh I mean— I’m sorry I didn’t mean to offend you with anything by saying your head house gloomy or what, Sehunnie had told me that you came from Slytherin and I was kind of nervous and excited because I have never had a friend from Slytherin because you know, with all these nasty rumors about you guys— which of course you couldn’t possibly be one of them who always—“

 

Zitao stared at the boy in front of him with a confused mixed with an amused face, because the older just called his best friend ‘Sehunnie’, and second, he just talked in one go which amused Zitao. Somehow, the older kind of reminded him with Jongdae who sometimes forgot how to shut his mouth. But of course, Zitao preferred Baekhyun than his troublesome roommate. Baekhyun then smiled sheepishly while scratching the back of his neck.

 

“Sorry, I was blabbering again. Bad habit.” He chuckled.

 

“It’s okay, hyung. I’m sorry if I disturb your weekends.” Zitao smiled.

 

“Aww you’re so polite. It’s cute! I wish Sehunnie could be as cute as you.” Baekhyun sighed. “And, It’s alright Zitao. My boyfriend insisted that he wanted to see the Quidditch practice, so I’m free anyway!” He grinned.

 

“Thanks hyung. Please, drink the tea before it turns cold. It’s my treat.” Zitao said, giving the older the tea.

 

“You’re too sweet.” Baekhyun sighed then looked around at the other couples. “I was surprised when Sehunnie said you asked to meet in this kind of place. Me and my boyfriend come here almost every weekends, and I’ve never thought I’ll come here with someone other than him.” He hummed.

 

“I’m sorry, are you uncomfortable? Do you want to change place? I don’t want your boyfriend getting angry...” Zitao frowned and quickly gathered his things before Baekhyun stopped him and urged him to sit again.

 

“No! I didn’t mean that! Relax.” Baekhyun laughed, “I was just wondering, that’s all.”

 

“Oh…umm” Zitao was red with embarrassment. “Kris hates this place. He once said this place is too flashy and so not his style, so the chance of meeting him here is none.” Zitao mumbled.

 

“You guys are so cute! So your first date was here? How long have you two been dating?” Bakhyun squealed.

 

“What— no! We’re not dating!” Zitao shook his head violently his head was getting dizzy. He then sighed before explaining, “Kris used to date Jessica Jung, and he always dragged me along when they were going to have a date here, saying how Jessica-noona was such nagger so he could suffer with me instead.” Zitao scowled.

 

“I see...but they’re not a thing anymore, right?” Baekhyun curiously asked. He had always been a fan of hot gossips.

 

“No…but I think Jessica-noona still likes Kris though.” Zitao frowned. His sad expression wasn’t go unnoticed by Baekhyun, and the older smiled encouragingly, stopping the conversation as if sensing the younger became uncomfortable.  

 

“Hey, it’s okay Zitao. Well, why don’t we just start, alright?”

 

“Okay.” Zitao smiled. Ten minutes spending time with the younger, and Baekhyun already adored the boy.

 

“So, did you bring the skein?” Baekhyun asked. “I’ve brought mine and the other things as well, might borrow it to you in case you need it.”

 

“Yes…here.” Zitao rummaged to the tiny bags he had brought and gave Baekhyun a silver bulky skein. “Is this alright, hyung?”

 

“Perfect!” Baekhyun beamed. “Almost forgot. Is there any particular style you want?”

 

“Umm…I just want to make it simple…I don’t have much time, his birthday is coming soon so maybe just the usual?” Zitao mumbled.

 

“Got it. For first timer, this will seem hard, but you’ll get used to it. Now follow my steps, slowly and don’t rush, we don’t want to hurt our hands, alright?” He winked. Zitao then chuckled, following the elder’s movement.

 

“Alright.”

 

---

 

“GO SEHUN-AH!!”

 

Chanyeol screamed his lungs out, he was sitting on the bench, watching Gryffindor’s Quidditch practice. There were few people who watched, including Chanyeol himself, but of course, his voice was the loudest even Sehun got trouble hearing his captain’s orders.

 

“God, why is he so embarrassing…” Sehun groaned, they had a little break and he was so close to break down anytime soon if his housemate had no intention on stopping his embarrassing actions.

 

“Now, don’t be too salty. He’s our precious Quidditch commentator. Without him, the game would be boring. Remember that one time when he pissed off those Slytherins, even Kris Wu? Boy, that was hilarious!” Seungri, Gryffindor’s captain laughed.

 

“Yeah, but he doesn’t have to come to our practices all the time, does he?” the young seeker mumbled.

 

“Who cares, the more the merrier.”

 

Sehun scowled and cringed hard at the curly giant when he noticed not far away from his ridiculous housemate, was a figure he recognized quite well.

 

It was Luhan, his new friend from Hufflepuff. The older was sitting silently with his flashy yellow house-scarf and awkwardly waved to the younger when Luhan noticed Sehun had spotted the older. Though Luhan was older, Sehun felt comfortable hanging around with him probably because the older had a friendly figure and sweet smile that could ease anyone. He grinned and waved back to the older.

 

“Hey capt, how much time do we have before we start again?”

 

“Probably five minutes.”

 

“Cool.”

 

Sehun then flew with his broom, headed to where the older was sitting. Luhan was taken by surprise, Sehun then sat next to the older and huffed.

 

“W—what are you doing here??” Luhan stuttered.

 

“Shouldn’t I be the one asking? It’s my practice match anyway.” Sehun laughed, ignoring Chanyeol’s shouts not far from their position. “What are you doing here?”

 

Luhan was red with embarrassment and hid half his face with his scarf, he thought he would die.

 

“I—I was just curious, that’s all.” The truth was, Luhan never really fancied Quidditch. He preferred soccer, a muggle sport which he enjoyed so much thanks to his muggle father who always taught him back at home, and he was just going to waste his precious weekend seeing his crush flying with broomstick instead of hanging out with Minseok, his housemate. But not that Luhan would say that out loud, that would be a disaster.

 

“Well, never knew you’re a fan of Quidditch.” Sehun shrugged.

 

“Ahahaha yeah…” Luhan awkwardly replied. “I don’t see Zitao anywhere, I thought he might come and watch you guys.”

 

“Nope, he’s one of those rare people I know that doesn’t like Quidditch.” Sehun scoffed. “Besides, he’s with my other friend, doing girly things.”

 

“Girly things?” Luhan asked. He then remembered Zitao had asked him about something yesterday. “Oohh, you mean ‘that’. He asked me too, but I didn’t know how.” Luhan laughed.

 

“Yeah, I mean he should’ve asked girls right? Bloody ridiculous.” Sehun sighed. It was then an awkward silent, according to Luhan, before the younger started to spoke again.

 

“You think Kris told the professors about those wall paintings from the grand staircases?” The younger mumbled.

 

“I don’t think so. He’s the type of guy who would tell the professors once he solved the case.” Luhan said.

 

“Well, that’s relieving.”

 

“OH SEHUN GET DOWN HERE! WE’LL START THE PRACTICE IN ONE MINUTE.” Seungri shouted from the field.

 

“Well, I’ll have to excuse myself then.” Sehun took his broom. “By the way hyung, don’t forget your promise.”

 

“Promise? What promise?” Luhan asked confused.

 

“You’ll teach me patronus charm some other time.” Sehun winked and flew back, leaving Luhan stunned and as red as a tomato.

 

---

   

Kris was tapping his fingers while chugging his butter beer almost too violently. Him, the Kims and Taemin were hanging out at the Hog’s Head In pub to spend their weekends away from school. He wore a thin dark green sweater, a pair of sneakers and dark blue jeans, almost not too fashionable despite his gorgeous figure, yet his appearance still managed to make other students inside the pub staring at the silver dragon.

 

“Take it easy Kris, it’s your third glass already.” Taemin sighed, butter beer wasn’t something that contained alcohol, but still, drinking it too much wasn’t good either.

 

“Leave him be. He’s just distressed because of a certain prefect, as known as my roommate, slash, not Jongdae-hyung, slash, Huang Zitao.” Jongin disgustingly his lollipops where he bought it at Honeydukes.

 

“Shut up, .” Kris scowled.

 

“Woah, such a student model, much wow! The headboy who cursed to his juniors, how educated!” Jongdae wiped his fake tears. Kris could only rolled his eyes.

 

“And woah captain, why are you wearing something so thin? It’s November already, you’ll catch a cold.” Taemin scowled. “And, no scarf? You sure will get sick, capt.”

 

“The cold never bothers him anyway.” Jongin sang.

 

“Shut up Jongin, you burnt my scarf accidently saying that it was a snake.” Kris growled.

 

“Hey, it’s not my fault yours have a snake skin pattern! I was just trying to save the students, that’s all!” Jongin faked offended.

 

“Whatever. You, go order me some more.” Kris nudged Taemin to go to the bartender much the younger’s protests but he did it anyway.

 

“Where’s Zitao?” Kris asked with a salty face after Taemin left to order the butter beer.

 

“No idea. I asked him to go to the Honeydukes but he said he has some urgent business.” Jongin shrugged.

 

 “Don’t tell me he’s off to watch Gryffindor’s Quidditch practice?” Kris narrowed his eyes.

 

“Doubt it, you know he’s never a fan of Quidditch.”

 

“Yeah, but he has a FRIEND there, right? The Gryffindor’s golden seeker, Oh Sehun.” Kris said with a mockery voice, followed by a scowl.

 

“Dude, if he rarely comes to our practice though you were there, then there’s a chance he also doesn’t watch Gryffindor’s practice.” Jongdae snickered.

 

“That doesn’t sound encouraging.”

 

“Oh, so you need our encouragement?” Jongin wriggled his brows suggestively.

 

“You’re so disgusting Kim Jongin, it hurts.” Kris sighed. Jongin glanced at the ordering table, Taemin seemed to be busy laughing with the bartender, waiting for the butter beer.

 

“Why are you so against Oh Sehun anyway?”

 

Kris stared at both Jongin and Jongdae with a betrayed look.

 

“Why? Well, because he’s a Gryffindor!”

 

“Puh—lease, You don’t even give a to Kim Joonmyeon, the Gryffindor’s headboy but you seem to despise Oh Sehun that much? I mean, if someone, it’s supposed to be me who has the best reason to hate him. We’re rivals in the best seeker position after all.” Jongin smirked. “Any particular reason, captain?”

 

“Wha—well—it’s…” Kris opened and closed his mouth continuously with a serious look on his face, a great sight in front of the Kims for sure.

 

“You’re jealous, right?” Jongin finally pointed that out, unable to hold the urge to shove it to the headboy’s face much longer. “You’re jealous because little Huang is snatched by someone else.”

 

“I am NOT jealous.” Kris fumed. Both Jongdae and Jongin laughed uncontrollably while banging the table, getting an irritated look from others so Kris quickly kicked the younger’s feet under the table to shut him up.

 

“My God, Kris Wu. You’re so small for someone who is so tall.” Jongin wiped his tears. “You’re whipped.”

 

“I’m wha—“

 

“WHIPPED!” Jongdae sang.

 

Just before Kris exploded, Taemin came with two butter beers, and Kris quickly snatched the glass and chugged it in one go, much to Taemin’s amusement.

 

“You know capt, if butter beers contain alcohol you’ll be dead by now.”

 

---

 

Zitao hissed in pain when another stitches stabbed his finger. Baekhyun had taught him everything earlier, the older even borrowed Zitao some things and knick knacks just in case. He had been doing his job for the past three hours in his bedroom. The Kims were probably having their dinner in the great hall, and earlier Zitao had decided to skip his dinner because he ate too much cookies at Madam Puddifoot’s Tea Shop so he was full and wouldn’t miss the chance to continue making Kris’ present with the absence of his roommates.

 

“Step two…I go right here…and here…and...ouch!” another stitches stabbed his finger. Zitao scowled. “It was waaayyy easier when Baekhyun-hyung was with me.”

 

He continued to focus on the skein in front of him and when he thought he was going to succeeded he stabbed his finger one more time.

 

“For Merlin’s beard!” Zitao screamed in frustration. “This is bloody ridiculous!”

 

Just when Zitao was sending curses to no one, the door to his bedroom opened and came Jongin,

 

“What are you screaming for?”

 

Zitao jumped and quickly hid his things under his pillow, laying his body in awkward position and he faked sleeping.

 

“N—nothing, just nightmares!

 

“Lies, what is that thing you hide?”

 

“What? Nothing!”

 

“Come on Huang, you know you’re a bad liar!” Jongin marched towards the boy and tackled him on his bed, while Zitao was struggling to defend his pillow.

 

“Hey—what are you doing?! Stop it! Yah!!”

 

“What is it?? Show me!” Jongin was on top of Zitao, pinning the poor boy under him while Zitao was now struggling for his own life rather than his pillow.

 

“KIM JONGIN! I SWEAR I WILL—“

 

And for the second times, the door to their bedroom was opened and when Zitao thought it was Jongdae who was going to join Jongin’s ambush, the person who appeared from the door was Kris Wu instead. The older stared at them with blank expression and both Jongin and Zitao quickly froze in their position, with Jongin on top of Zitao, like a hugging position while in fact, Jongin just wanted to reach whatever the thing Zitao was hiding on the pillow under him. Zitao felt like a dejavu happening to them, because few weeks ago Kris had also encountered them in a weird position and Zitao just thought how could the older always be at the wrong place and the wrong time?

 

Kris didn’t say anything, instead, with a poker face, he walked towards Zitao’s bed, pulled Jongin’s collar while dragging the now struggling boy and threw him outside the room and unlocked the door with a charm. Jongin banged the door while shouting ‘ this is my room, you motherer!’. Zitao only watched the whole scene without commenting anything, afraid he might say something wrong. Kris walked to Zitao’s bed and Zitao’s heart raced just a little bit, he quickly sat on his pillow, protecting his ‘surprise’ for Kris, not wanting to ruin his present before the elder’s birthday.

 

“You’re off duty tonight.” Kris said, standing just beside Zitao’s bed with his usual hard face.

 

“Huh? What?” Zitao asked confused.

 

“Night shift, you’re not going to do it. For a while.”

 

“But why? Are you that angry with me?? Am I suspended?” Zitao protested. He raised his voice just a little bit, showing his irritated side which was a rare event, even Kris was taken aback.

 

“Wha—No. It’s about the school’s paintings.” Kris softened his facial expression, trying to calm the boy. He then sat on Zitao’s bed, next to the boy himself. Although yesterday he was definitely angry with Zitao, it wouldn’t last long.

 

“What about them?”

 

“The paintings from the grand staircases, few of them came back. I checked them last night. Luhan was right….” Kris said in a serious tone. “….And you were right. The lady in blue, she’s gone. Her canvas frame was empty. We haven’t found her yet, but I’ll tell the professors once we got more evidence.”

 

Zitao gasped and whispered a small ‘I knew it!’.

 

“That’s why, tonight it’s just going to be me and prefects from 5th year and above from our house for the night shift.”

 

“But why only me? I can help!” Zitao frowned, he disliked it when he was left behind. He was a prefect too. Kris scoffed at the younger’s persistence and pinched Zitao’s cheek which the younger protested. Old habit never dies.

 

“Huang Zitao, you’re a brilliant wizard no doubt. But I wouldn’t risk you with what could be lurking in the castle.”

 

Zitao scowled and swatted Kris’ hand away, rubbing his cheek.

 

“You said it’s no longer your responsible for what happened to me.” Zitao mumbled.

 

“Yes, which is why I’m preventing it before something happened to you, no?” Kris smirked. There goes one of his traits, cunning. Zitao wanted to smashed and remove the smug face in front of him for making him cry out of nothing. He just wasted his precious tears, thanks to Kris Wu.

 

“Look, You will do your usual shift normally at school days. But now, for the weekends, leave it to the seniors, alright?” Kris hoped the younger would give up soon.

 

“….Fine.” Zitao eyed Kris when he realized what the older was wearing. “Are you not cold? It’s November, why are you wearing thin clothes?” Zitao frowned.

 

“What? This is normal.” This time, it was Kris’ turn to protest.

 

“Ridiculous, look at you! You’ll catch a cold in no time. I don’t care if you’re the mighty dragon Kris Wu or what, but change into something warmer or double it with a jumper.” Zitao nagged. Kris always took a good care of others, but sometimes the older forgot to take care for himself. A great leadership, but also clumsy. Not as clumsy as Zitao of course.

 

“It’s fine. It’s not like it’s snowing or something.”

 

“Kris.”

 

“….Alright, alright, geez.” Kris mumbled. Seemed like the table had turned. When Kris was about to leave, he took a glance at Zitao’s hands and glared at the ugly wounds. There were tiny bits of bloods and scratches. The older quickly grabbed both of Zitao’s hand and examined them.

 

“What are these? Did that motherer Jongin do this to you?? I’ll kill him!” Kris spat.

 

“Wait—no!! It’s just— I got this when I was helping Hagrid—uh—you know, his stuff!“ Zitao pulled his hands and rubbed his wounds.

 

“What stuff?”

 

“Um—well—for the Christmas tree! Yeah! You see, I helped him this morning. The branches are quite spiky you know.” Zitao blabbered.

 

“But why would Hagrid prepare the Christmas tree now? It’s November…” the older mumbled.

 

“Doesn’t matter. See? I’m fine!” Zitao flailed his hands rapidly in the air, the older needed to stop the boy before he hurt himself even more.

 

“Well if you say so…” Kris shrugged, standing and ready to leave the room. “But one more thing…” He glanced at the door where there were muffled screams from none other than Jongin himself. The older took his wand from his jean’s pocket and swished it, opening the door then marched the boy who had been locked outside his own room. Jongin sent curses to the older, pointed out his wand and ready to casted jinxes he knew to Kris, but alas. It was a wrong move to go against your headboy and captain.

 

“Petrificus Totalus”.

 

Jongin suddenly froze, in a very awkward position, neglected on the floor. Zitao saw the whole moment in flash, the boy was too stunned to even react. Kris stared at the unmoving boy underneath him, and smiled too sweetly to the petrified body.

 

“You know, I’ve always wanted to do this to you, Kim Jongin. It was a pleasant time talking to you.”

 

The headboy then excused himself, closing the door behind him, leaving a very stunned Zitao. He stared at Jongin’s body on the floor and hesitated weather he should move the body or not.

 

“What the hell just happened…”

 

 

 

Finally Zitao met Baekhyun! Yay!

I’m sure all of you can already guess what Kris’ present is going to be? >w<

Fyi, Petrificus Totalus is a completely harmless spell, it only paralyzes the opponent for a moment, so let’s not hate Kris that much haha :D

 

By the way, I’m currently working on my second Taoris fic (of course it’s going to be fluff, I’m a trash for fluff), it’s probably gonna be a long one-shot story, but don’t worry I won’t abandon this one of course!

 

I hope you enjoy this chapter as well!

 

Love, author<3