The Events, heartbreak

The Sparks in Your Eyes

Sometimes students at hogwarts expected the bliss and relaxation when they had reached their 6th year, with the rumours saying they would have so many free periods as seniors, which was not entirely wrong, but also not quite precise as well. With the more advanced magic classes and neverending homeworks, they were forced to prepare for their N.E.W.Ts after they had passed their O.W.Ls last year, and much to their unfortunate, the free periods seemed to be useless.

 

For over-achievers like Ravenclaws, the homeworks were considered as their golden chance to proof and boast about their intilligent, or some other student body, for example Kim Joonmyeon from Gryffindor with his seriousness and somehow enjoyed the torturing lessons, and the infamous Kris Wu who didn't seem to care enough and much to everyone's jealousy, always passed with the highest score, as expected of the headboy.

 

Now, for someone like Luhan who preferred Defence against the dark arts, potion class was such a nightmare to begin with. Not to mention they were now brewing Felix Felicis, as known as the liquid luck, which Luhan considered as ironic since in this case, he probably needed luck to create the liquid luck itself.

 

 

"This is ridiculous..." Luhan mumbled.

 

 

"You're ridiculous. This is too easy, I'm sure even first years can do this."

 

 

Goddamn, Luhan thought. What was worse than brewing Felix Felicis that could take six months? Brewing the potion beside Kris Wu, no doubt.

 

 

“You’re one to talk. Last month you almost died when you sniffed the Amortentia, saying how you smelled peaches and stuff.” Luhan mumbled.

 

 

“Now that’s like everyone’s weakness.” Kris scowled, defending himself. “I’d prefer Snape teaching potions. I don’t know why Dumbledore changed the curriculum so he teaches juniors, and throw us with Slughorn instead.”

 

 

“Whatever. How did you even cut these things?” Luhan sighed, throwing daggers to the sopophorus beans. “It’s like—Oowww!”

 

 

Luhan accidently cut himself, blood ran through his fingers. He hissed in pain and quickly his wound, gaining a disgusted look from Kris next to him.

 

 

“What the are you doing?!”

 

 

“ my wound?” Luhan answered innocently.

 

 

“That’s ing disgusting!” Kris faked gagged.

 

 

“Please don’t exaggerate. It’s pretty normal among muggles. My muggle father always or kisses his boo-boo away when he is wounded.” Luhan shrugged.

 

 

“The hell is boo-boo?” Kris couldn’t stop his cussing despite being a headboy, not like Luhan minded. He was used to it anyway.

 

 

“It’s something like wounds or pains. Again, common words for muggles.” Luhan silently snickered, fooling Kris Wu was a good thing to do. “You really don’t know anything about muggles, do you? And to say that you take Muggle Studies as your elective class, that’s pretty ironic.”

 

 

“Shut up…” Kris mumbled.

 

 

“You should do it sometimes.” Luhan smiled almost too sweetly.

 

 

“What?”

 

 

“Kissing away your wounds.”

 

 

“As if.” Kris scoffed.

 

 

“Yeah right, the mighty Kris Wu couldn’t possibly kissing away his wounds.” Luhan mumbled. ”You guys are too prideful.”

 

 

“Shut up, Lu.”

 

 

“Anyhow, your birthday is today right?”

 

 

“Yes and for the record, I do not need your birthday wishes thank you very much.”

 

“I won’t.” Luhan pouted. “Has Zitao give something to you?”

 

 

“What, like a present?”

 

 

“Yeah..has he?”

 

 

“No he hasn’t.” Kris frowned. “Usually he would be the first to give me…”

 

 

Luhan could sense the sadness in Kris’ voice and he suddenly felt guilty for bringing it up. Though Luhan knew Zitao had prepared something for Kris.

 

 

“Well…let’s see the bright side, you’ve got tons of presents from the girls.” Luhan awkwardly said.

 

 

“Yeah, but Zitao’s special.” Kris shrugged.

 

 

“How so?”

 

 

“Well, whenever he gave me something, he never forgot to put the effort to it.”

 

---

 

 

"How about this?"

 

 

"Zitao, that's like, black and black, what's the difference?"

 

 

"Alright, this?"

 

 

"Are you trying to be Snape or something?"

 

 

"This?"

 

 

"Enough Zitao, that's bloody awful cut it with the blacks, you're not going to Kris' funeral."

 

 

"Then what am I supposed to wear?!"

 

 

Zitao huffed, he crossed his arms and sulked in Sehun's bedroom, feeling irritated with his best friend's constant disapproval of his choices. Zitao had brought some pairs of his clothes inside his school bag, they had finished their classes and It was Zitao's first time hanging around in Gryffindor's common room, though a bit different with Ravenclaw's which had so many bookshelves, still, a good sight and homey indeed.

 

 

There were also Baekhyun and Chanyeol who seemed to be interested in Zitao's solicitudes so they refused to leave the room, not like Zitao protested, and although at first the Gryffindor headboy was reluctant to let Zitao hanging around in their dormitory, especially since the boy was from Slytherin, he finally gave in after the long and persistent explanations from both Sehun and Baekhyun who insisted that Zitao was a good boy and not like any other Slytherins. But of course, being Joonmyeon who took his role too seriously, he decided to supervised the boy himself, which was why Joonmyeon was standing silently on the corner of Sehun's bedroom.

 

 

"I think that outfit looks good, Zitao."

 

Baekhyun smiled encouragingly, hoping that Zitao would stop feeling cautious with his appearance. He thought that Zitao was gorgeous to begin with, something the boy probably failed to realize himself.

 

 

"But Baek, there's not much difference with his other clothes. They're all the same." Chanyeol pouted, and Baekhyun quickly shut his boyfriend's mouth.

 

 

"Didn't your parents buy you clothes other than black?"

 

 

"Well, they said black is traditional for wizards, and since I entered this school they took the 'wizard boy' role too seriously I guess." Zitao frowned.

 

 

"Your parents are hilarious. I'd like to meet them someday." Sehun nodded.

 

 

"Aww come on, guys! Kris' birthday party is tonight! At least help me?" Zitao groaned.

 

 

"But I told you, you look gorgeous with everything! Right Sehun-ah?"

 

 

"Why me?"

 

 

"Because you're closest to Zitao and your opinion matter the most."

 

 

Sehun examined Zitao's clothes closely and sighed deeply, he didn't know anything about fashion that much but sure, Zitao or his parents were probably worse.

 

 

"You have a y collar bone, you need to expose them more." Sehun said with his usual poker face.

 

 

Zitao's mouth hanged open, he was never expecting that kind of answer, especially from someone like Sehun. "My what?!"

 

 

"You heard me. You have a y collar bone, If Kris saw that he might- Ow! What the Joonmyeon-hyung?!"

 

 

"You're making the poor boy uncomfortable! And don't curse on me!" The headboy scolded. "Now Zitao, why don't you just pick anything? I'm sure Kris wouldn't care. It's your attendance that matters."

 

 

"But everyone will wear something fancy..." Zitao pouted.

 

 

"Awww come here my baby." Baekhyun cooed.

 

 

"So he's our son now? what about Sehun-ah?"

 

 

"Just look at him Chan, he's sooo cute it hurts! And he's waaayy nicer than our little Sehunnie.”

 

 

”Cut the crap you two.” Sehun sighed. ”By the way Zitao, just wear anything and bring Kris' present alright? I'm sure he would be happy."

 

 

"That's right! How's Kris' present, Zitao??"

 

Baekhyun squealed, backhugging Zitao though their size difference, which probably Baekhyun was used to courtesy of his giant boyfriend.

 

 

"Of course it’s finished. Though I will have no time to wrap it since I have no wrapping papers." Zitao frowned. "And the ugly scratches in my hands, I'm so not doing it again!"

 

 

"Why didn't you ask Jongin to buy the wrappers? He's often sneaked out to Hogsmeade right? Might as well tell him to buy some." Sehun shrugged. "And stop whinning about your wounds, it's your own fault you didn't want to check up to Madam Pomfrey."

 

 

"And what makes you think it's a good idea to ask Jongin? God's know whatever he would do..."

 

 

“You’re right. But so what’re you gonna do about it?”

 

“I’ll just give it directly to him in person.” Zitao said. “I hope he would like it…”

 

“Of course he would like it.” Baekhyun smiled reassuringly. “It’s you who made it after all.”

 

“I hope so.” Zitao smiled. “I think I should go. I need to get prepared.”

 

“Come, let me you.”

 

Zitao bid goodbyes to his friends and left with Joonmyeon.

 

“You know, your friend really is lovely Sehun-ah.” Baekhyun hummed.

 

“He is.” Sehun grinned.

 

---

 

“Come on Huang, just pick anything!”

 

Jongin stomped his foot impatiently, feeling frustrated with Zitao’s attempt to pick his clothes. They were in the dormitory and Kris’ birthday party was going to be held in Slytherin’s common room. Jongdae had left their room twenty minutes ago, which left only Jongin and a desperate Zitao. Hours of spending time in Gryffindor’s common room didn’t actually help his situation with dressing.

 

“Five more minutes Jongin, please?” Zitao whined.  

 

“What?! No more! What if Jongdae-hyung ate all the cake?! I’m leaving!”

Jongin puffed his cheek and stormed out from their room, leaving the boy alone. Zitao sighed in defeat and picked his usual black turtle neck sweater and black tight jeans, ignoring Sehun’s stupid idea about exposing his collar bone.

 

“Here I go with my usual blacks…”

 

He glanced to his reflection from the mirror and sighed. Zitao sure looked like he was going to someone’s funereal instead of birthday party. He then took Kris’ present underneath his pillow, hugging it tightly on his chest. There were blasting music from downstairs and shouting from the students, probably the party had begun. Not like the other houses would protests, Slytherin common room was placed in the dungeon after all.

 

Zitao took very small steps, feeling nervous with no reason after all. He had a bad feeling and a lump on his throat, afraid that Kris would hate his present and above all, he was going to face all the Slytherins sooner or later.

 

When Zitao reached the last stair, he could see that the common room was decorated in a very, let’s just say, juvenile vibes. There were several Slytherin’s Quidditch flags and enchanted balloons, probably Jongdae’s idea, that constantly flying into the students directions, creating a little chaos. There were also drinks and a big cake on the main table, in conclusion, everything was a rousing party indeed.

 

As Zitao glanced around, it wasn’t hard to spot Kris Wu, the birthday boy. He was in the middle of the room, towering the other with his ridiculous body height and surrounded by the crowds, wearing a simple white shirt with his usual styled silver hair, a jeans and a combat boots. It was totally unfair how Kris looked so stunning in those simple outfits while Zitao struggled with his dressing hours ago. Zitao walked slowly into the crowd, on the very back rows, not wanting to gain attention. The crowd still cheered and claps, singing a not very harmonized birthday song.

 

The party was indeed fun with the presence of the Kims who did ‘magic’ tricks and charms, gaining popular attentions from the crowds. Zitao wanted to join and mingle with the other, but he chose to sit on the couch and eat his cake silently, being invisible as he was supposed to.

 

“Not joining the crowd?”

 

Kris suddenly appeared, holding a drink, probably a butter beer and sat next to the boy and Zitao quickly hid Kris’ present underneath him, sitting on it.

 

“I’m comfortable like this…” Zitao mumbled.

 

“Well, I’m not surprised.” Kris chuckled.

 

“Aren’t you supposed to be with the other?”

 

“I’m comfortable with you.” Kris said calmly which caused Zitao to blush and slap the elder’s arm.

 

 “Whatever.” Zitao scoffed and continued to eat his cake.

 

“Wait, there’s something on your face.” Kris said suddenly.

 

“What?” Zitao’s eyes widen as he thought there was icing from the cake on his face. That would be totally embarrassing, especially in the presence of Kris Wu.

 

“Cuteness.” Kris laughed. Well, there goes with the elder’s greasy jokes. Zitao hid his face with his hands, now he really wanted to bury himself somewhere due to the maximum embarrassment.

 

“Stop it, please.” Zitao pleaded.

 

“Come on Taozi, it’s my birthday. At least let me do anything I want just for now.” Kris pinched Zitao’s cheek and the younger groaned in response.

 

“But you always do anything you want like every time.” He mumbled.

 

“Yo, Kris. It’s time.” Jongdae came along and Kris nodded.

 

“Sorry peach, talk to you again later.” Kris pinched both Zitao’s cheek and went away, following Jongdae to the middle of the room. Zitao was left alone on the couch, heart beating fast and exhaled deeply.

 

“All right, folks! Let’s keep it down for a moment, shall we?” Jongdae stood on the table, gaining everyone’s attention so now the crowd was silent as he told them.

“Now, as usual, the birthday ceremony, few words from the birthday boy’s close friends! Those in favor to speak, please raise their hands!”

 

Everyone raised their hands, no surprise. Except for Zitao himself. He didn’t want to get the attention and if Jongdae spotted him, the mischievous boy would choose him no doubt.

 

“Yes, Ms.Lee?” Jongdae pointed to the girl in front.

 

“Good luck for tomorrow’s Quidditch, Kris!” The girl excitedly said. The crowd cheered and Kris only nodded in response.

 

“Huh, what a favoritism.” Jongdae sneered. “Anyone else?”

 

“Me! You’re so y Kris!” Another girl shouted. Everyone else laughed along, but clapped their hands especially the girls, for her bravery anyway.

 

“Woah, ladies. Eager aren’t we?” Jongdae snickered. “Okay, who else?”

 

“I’d like to say a few words.”

 

A soft voice came from the crowd and everyone paid attention to the owner of the voice, including Zitao. There, stood by the front row was Jessica Jung, a very beautiful girl, also famous for being Kris’ ex-girlfriend. They used to date by the time Kris was a fifth year, as everyone said, they were what they called ‘couple goals’. Both brilliant in academics and with their good looks, no wonder they were the most favorite couple that time. It was unknown why they broke up in the first place.

 

“Ooooohhh Ms.Jung, here she comes.” Jongdae howled.

 

Jessica stepped forward, standing in front of Kris with a sweet, sweet smile that could send all the boys swooning.

 

“Happy birthday Kris…” It was just a simple word, but by the tone she used and the way she stared at the birthday boy, it was obvious that she still liked Kris. She wrapped something on Kris’ neck and when Zitao took notice what it was, he turned pale.

 

It was a very beautiful scarf made from dragon scales no doubt, a very luxurious thing indeed. It was golden and shiny, and Kris looked much more handsome with the accessories on his neck.

 

“Thanks…” Kris breathed in and smiled.

 

It was silent until Jessica took another step forward and Zitao was never wrong with his eyes. The two kissed in front of the crowd, and everyone cheered loudly, clapping their hands and shouting incoherent words.

 

The world felt like it had stopped around Zitao. His heart dropped to his stomach and he didn’t like the sight in front of him at all. He suddenly seemed to have a problem with breathing. He felt like crying and his eyes were burning red, he didn’t know why he was like this.

 

He was no longer paying attention to the scene and ran outside their common room, not like anyone noticed. The scene was just too much for him.

 

Unnoticed by Zitao himself, Kris was waiting for the boy and looked for him in the crowd, feeling empty when he didn’t spot Zitao anywhere in the room or when the younger wasn’t volunteering to say something for the birthday boy.

 

---

 

Zitao silently cried in somewhere around the castle. He felt like disappearing and somehow he wanted to talk to his mother, seeking for comfort. He was confused and hurt, he didn’t know what happened or why he felt this way, all he wanted to do was not seeing Kris for a while and he tried so hard to erase the entire scene earlier.

 

He used to saw Kris and Jessica dated or kissing in the halls, he was used to be their third wheel until Jessica harshly spat that Zitao was nowhere belonged in their relationship. Even Kris asked Zitao to come with him to Madam Puddifoot’s Tea Shop at Hogsmeade so Kris wouldn’t be the only one hearing Jessica’s non-stop talking session.

 

This time, it was different. His heart felt like it had been torn into pieces or like he had lost part of his soul, sounded too much of course.

 

“You shouldn’t be here, young boy.”

 

Zitao jolted in surprised, the voice was hoarse like a whisper. He then glanced around, seeking for the owner of the voice when he saw the Bloody Baron ghost was floating above him.

 

“Y—you’re—“

 

“Weren’t you supposed to be at the headboy’s birthday party?” The ghost asked, with his usual grumpy face. The blood stain on his dress looked so disturbing, Zitao needed to hold back his whimpers.

 

Zitao was never fond with the Baron, courtesy of their not so friendly first meeting. But here they were, silently talking to each other.

 

 “I was, but—“

 

“Then why’d you leave? It’s almost curfew, you shouldn’t be outside your dormitory at this time.”

 

“Well, I’m a prefect and I—“

 

“A prefect who cries in the middle of the castle?”

 

 “Listen to me, will you?!” Zitao shouted rather harshly and when he realized what he had done, he immediately clasped his hand to his mouth. “I’m sorry—I didn’t mean to—I”

 

The Baron stared into Zitao with his blurry, silver eyes, a look of somehow, understanding.

 

“You’re heartbroken.”

 

Zitao was taken aback with what the ghost had told him. “What?”

 

“Heartbroken. I can see it in your eyes.” The ghost then flew around, circling Zitao as if he was examining the boy further.

 

“Why would my heart be broken?” Zitao whispered.

 

“Because someone you love doesn’t love you back.” The ghost simply said.

 

“Love? But I don’t love someone…” Zitao trailed.

 

“You know nothing, young boy. But still, you have a long journey.” The ghost continued. “But I must warn you, Slytherin House has always been famous with their unrequited love. Brace yourself.”

 

And just like that, the ghost disappeared into thin air, leaving Zitao even more confused than ever.

 

“What was that supposed to mean…” he mumbled. Zitao then took a glance to the present he was holding and hugged it tightly.

 

“There’s no way this rubbish is better compare to that dragon scarf…”

 

When Zitao was drowning into his self-pity, he saw something from distance, the very same crooked figure he saw weeks ago. He stood in frozen, unsure what to do and just stared at the looming figure, it had the same vibrant color like the last time he remembered.

 

“W—what do you want?”

 

Zitao gripped his sweater and stood still. The figure only stared back to the boy, not moving and both were having a staring contest.

 

“W—why did you leave your frame?” Zitao asked one last time, slowly moving forward. “I know you, you’re the lady in blue from the second floor. What are you doing, lurking in the castle? Who cursed you?”

 

The figure said nothing and instead, moved its hand towards Zitao’s direction and there was something floating above its hand. Zitao narrowed his eyes to take good look and when he saw what the thing was, he gasped loudly.

 

“My wand!!!”

 

It was his long lost wand that had been away for months. Sehun and Zitao had spent their night shifts looking for his wand, and he had no idea why his wand was with the figure instead, but without thinking any further, he ran towards the figure to snatch his wand. By the time Zitao reached to its spot, the figure vanished into thin air and Zitao stumbled forward, he had lost his balance and his face smacked the castle’s wall with big impact.

 

“Owwww…” Zitao hissed in pain and crouched down, rubbing his reddening face. He felt the taste of iron from his mouth and realized he just bit the corner of his mouth. There were blood stains when he wiped it with his hands and Zitao sighed in annoyance.

 

“Can’t tonight get any worse?!”

 

As if god answered the boy’s prayer, Zitao jolted in surprise when there was a cat hissing to him. It had bloodshot eyes and a thick fur, any students at Hogwarts knew very well who that cat belonged to.

 

“What are you doing here, Mr.Huang?”

 

The usual grumpy man and a scary face known as Mr.Filch came with his lantern, patrolling the night to seek for bad students past their curfew.

 

“I was—“

 

“Students shouldn’t be lurking around the castle past their bedtime.”

 

“Well… I’m a prefect, so…” Zitao used the same reason like he did to the Bloody Baron.

 

“Really? And where is your prefect badge?”

 

Zitao silently cursed with his bad luck, he wasn’t planning to ran away like this, so he didn’t wear his badge.

 

“And what is wrong with your lips? Did you just fight with someone?” Mr.Filch pointed on his wounded on the corner of his lips. “I’m afraid I must tell Snape as one of his student is making troubles.”

 

“Wait, I wasn’t making any troubles!”

 

“Guilty people don’t just confess their wrongs, Mr.Huang.” The man said. “Go back to your dormitory before I drag you to the headmaster.”

 

The man then hugged his cat and walked away slowly, before Zitao stopped him.

 

“Mr.Filch?”

 

The said man stopped his tracks and twirled his body to the direction of the boy. “What?”

 

“Don’t you realize that…one of the paintings in the castle is gone?” Zitao said quietly.

 

“What are you talking about?”

 

“The lady in blue? It’s in the second floor?”

 

“Are you sleep walking, Mr.Huang?’ Mr.Filch said in annoyance. “There’s no such painting as lady in blue. Now go back to your dormitory!”

 

The man then walked away, leaving a very confused Zitao. How could the school staff that stayed all nights didn’t know that one of the school paintings was missing? Clearly Zitao, Sehun, Luhan and the other were bothered by the crooked figure who turned out to be the lady in blue. And as Zitao remembered, Kris told him that he had told the professors about the frames and the lady in blue few days ago.

 

Unless someone was using the obliviate charm, a charm that made one forgot about something. It was all just so strange. His lost wand that happened to be with the very same figure that made him fainted, and the vandalized statue of Rowena Ravenclaw with the tinge colors of paintings. All these must be connected.

 

“Clearly someone is messing with the prefects…” Zitao mumbled. He once again showed determination to find the culprit, and to take back his wand. He needed to find the answers before it got too much, and luckily, he had the entire free time alone at the castle tomorrow as one particular event would make the students and the school staffs away for a moment.

 

The Quidditch match.

 

 

I changed this fanfic’s cover!! Hope you like my Taozi<3

 

Fun fact : Amortentia is the most powerful love potion in HP universe. Its smell is different by each person who smells it and find what most attracted to the person. Now you know the reason why Kris smelled peaches *winked*

 

Anyway, hello again! I’m back after the exhausting week of university ;_; I’m sorry that this chapter lacks something, I’m still recovering my energy huehuehue

 

And just a little angsty plot, it hurts even for me! But there’s always the storm before the rainbow lol

I promise that the next chapter will be fluff! And yaasshhh Prepare for the Quidditch match! I’ve been wanting to write the match so bad.

 

By the way, I’m just curious. For those who play pottermore, please tell me your house! (I’m a Slytherin. Also for Zitao’s wand status and Kris’ patronus, they’re all references from my pottermore profile.) :D