Part 7

Blurred Lines
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Irene opened her eyes slowly as she turned her body to the right. She adjusted her eyes to the darkness in her room. Her foot touched the wooden wall. She startled as it felt so cold like she just touched a cube of ice then she quickly sat up straight in her bed as soon as she realized that it wasn’t her warm room she usually share with Yeri. She looked around and sighed in relief to see Wendy was sleeping soundly in the bed next to hers. She rubbed her eyes trying to recall everything that happened before she fell asleep like a dead person. Blamed the long flight she went through from Korea to Iceland, she got really exhausted and passed out as soon as she touched the bed. She looked outside the window beside her bed and as far as her eyes could see, it was pitch darkness. She remembered not seeing any other house along their way to find the lodge that had been booked by Seulgi and Mino before. All the way, her eyes were glued to her phone screen to look at Google Maps so she could navigate Seungyoon, who drove the car in such an uneasy feeling, to get the right direction from the back seat. While Mino called Jin Woo trying to guide him, who was in the second car along with Seung Hoon, Wendy and Yeri who were also people that was bad in direction, to follow their way. It was almost an hour drive when they finally spotted a house in the end of a narrow road. The house was surrounded by a big yard covered by snow. It was not a big and modern house just like Wendy imagined when it only consisted of one story and three bedrooms so they had to split the bedroom by doing the rock-paper-scissors which resulted to her shared the room with Wendy.

 

After spacing out for a moment, Irene finally got up from her bed, decided to grab some drink to ease her exhaustion. A creaking sound was heard throughout the house as she opened the door slowly. She clenched her teeth, quite surprised by the sound that was louder than she was expecting and walked out from her room quietly, trying to not make any sound since everyone were already asleep. As she stepped in the kitchen area, she spotted Mino at the dining table, sat in the chair, looked really immersed to whatever he did in his MacBook. She could see a pair of white earphone were attached to his ear. His forehead was furrowed as his eyes squinting, staring intensely to his laptop screen. In this state, he must not realize that Irene was there. She walked towards the dining table, quiet enough that her footsteps were not heard at all. In the sofa behind Mino, she saw two persons wrapped in a big blanket, much more like a burrito than a person, lied soundly. A light snore could be heard throughout the living room and kitchen. It must be Jin Woo and Seungyoon. She spoke to herself silently.

 

“Nuna, what are you doing?”

 

Mino’s whisper made her startled. She looked at Mino who stared at her in bewildered. One of his earphone was hung around his neck, his mouth opened as he froze in his seat not making any move. It was either he was cold or scared, she couldn’t tell. He still wore the same pants and sweater that he wore since they departed from Korea.

 

“You scared me!” Irene whispered.

 

“No, you scared me to death. I thought you were a ghost. I almost threw my glass to you.”

 

Irene scoffed. She really shouldn’t have walked in silent next time.

 

“Why aren’t you sleeping?”

 

“I can’t sleep. I have some work to do.”

 

Irene pulled out the chair and sat in front of him. “Really? But you looked wearied. Go get some sleep.”

 

“I can’t. I slept enough on the plane.”

 

Irene nodded her head slightly. She stared at him with a worry face. She wanted to ask him more but she refrained herself, not because she embarrassed but she surprisingly still found it awkward when it was only the two of them. The awkward silence started to fill the room, only the sound of the clock ticking and Jin Woo’s snore could be heard. Irene wasn’t the type of person who could initiate the conversation like Wendy or just being weirdly friendly like Seulgi, she was just this shy and quiet person when it comes to deal with new people.

 

“Weren’t you sleeping earlier?”

 

“Yeah, I woke up to get some drinks. I just felt exhausted that I could barely sleep.”

 

“You can keep me company, then.” Mino pulled out his other earphone from his ear. A smile appeared on his tired face. His light blonde hair was a tangled mess, his body looks so much thinner since the last time Irene saw her. He was indeed a good looking one but it never crossed her mind that she had to see this chaotic side of him.

 

Realizing that Irene lays eyes on him intensely, not in a bedazzled ways but more like pitiful ways, he smiled in embarrassment “I’m sorry you have to see me in this messed up condition. I promise I will –“

 

“No, it’s okay. I’m a messed myself too.” Irene flustered. “Pardon my face, it’s just always gives the expression I didn’t intend to.” Most of the times she regretted to have her resting face. She even found a video on Youtube where all her resting face was compiled. She might had some mean thought in her mind at that time but her face always delivered an expression that was much ier than it should.

 

“Do you want something to eat? I could make you some fruit snack if you want.” Irene got up from her seat, walking towards the kitchen counter getting away from the awkward situation.

 

“Sure. I’ll help you.”

 

“No, you don’t have to.” She quickly shook her head. “I can do it by myself. I’m not as good as Seung Hoon-i, but I’m a good cook too.”

 

“Don’t you think Seungyoon will get mad at you again? We don’t have many foods left.”

 

They were all eating instant noodle that Wendy brought all the way from Korea for dinner and some fruit which they bought in the small store on their way to the house. Irene opened the fridge and saw some apples and oranges left, thinking it must be enough to eat in this midnight. She suddenly remembered the last time Seungyoon got mad at her just because she bought three pieces of pastries. It was just pastries and he acted like she bought a whole ranch along with a bunch of horses without his permission. She tried to get over it but now she recalled that again and it annoyed her.

 

“Never mind. We can buy it again tomorrow.” She stretched her feet to close the fridge door while her hand was full holding the apples. “Besides, you really need to eat properly.”

 

Mino hesitated for a while, deeply thinking about his diet that surely would be ruined for the next two weeks. And just before he opened his mouth to say something, Irene cut him off. “I don’t take no for an answer.”

 

She was about to go on peeling some apples when she heard a dragging steps from the living room.

 

“Seungyoon-a, you wake up?”

 

Irene turned around and saw Seungyoon walked closer to the dining room. He wore an oversized white shirt and a loose grey checkered cotton pants. His hair was still half damp, it looked like he took a shower before. He nodded softly to Mino while rubbing his face as he stood behind him. He was going to pull a chair beside him but stop his motion and headed to Irene who was in the kitchen.

 

“Nuna, can you make one for me too? I’m a bit hungry.”

 

Irene said okay shortly to Seungyoon with her eyes still concentrated on apples that lied down in front of her. She could feel his presence behind her just by sniffing at his scent. He smells like tangerine and lemongrass mixed together. Like someone who just jumped off from the shower and ready to jog in the morning.

 

“Let me help you.”

 

He moved around the kitchen area, making himself busy and didn’t give any sign he would leave her alone and joined Mino instead.

 

“It’s okay. I’m fine.”

 

“No, I’ll help you.” He ignored her.

 

OH MY GOD HOW STUBBORN CAN YOU BE? Irene screamed to herself. She felt like scolding him but she quickly realized there were cameras placed around the house, she could ruined her image by showing her short-tempered side thus she decided to hold back her annoyance.

 

“I said I’m fine.” A big smile was shown on her face while her eyes gave a killer glare. She had to lift her head and looked up to him since he was way taller than her or it was just her that was too short for him.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter