Chapter 7

More Than A Lifetime

Because it was already too cold to be practicing outside, Mr. Min had Prince Jungkook play his flute in the castle. Jungkook doesn't complain because he'd hate to get a cold.

 

The prince sat on a chair as Yoongi sat next to him, sometimes walking around him.

 

Today, Mr. Min noticed how well the young prince is doing. When Jungkook finishes the piece, Yoongi compliments him, something he rarely does.

 

"Did you spend extra time on this? You have done a really good job," the teacher smiles, which is something Jungkook can only witness once a year.

 

The raven haired prince shakes his head, "No, I did not. It's because of Prince Seokjin." He says the name with so much happiness that Yoongi hummed with suspicion.

 

"Is that so?"

 

The young prince's smile expands, "Yes! I want to play this to him and see if he likes it or not."

 

Mr. Min narrows his eyes as he turns away from the prince, folding his arms as he recalls something he saw a while ago.

 

"Young prince," he turns back to face the younger man, "May I ask how close you are to Prince Seokjin?" He can see Jungkook's expression changed from happiness to slight confusion.

 

"I am very close to him. Why are you asking?" the prince tilts his head up to see the teacher better from his seat.

 

Yoongi stares at him for a while, a long while, until he sighs, unfolding his arms and letting them drop to his sides. He takes a step closer to Jungkook.

 

"Prince Jungkook, I saw you and Seokjin in the library the other day," he says quietly, making sure nobody else will hear, "Jungkook, I know everything." He stares at the younger man in the eye.

 

"I know you are in love with Prince Seokjin."

 

Unexpected by this, Jungkook's eyes widen as he took those words in. He had almost dropped his flute and whispers back, "How?"

 

The prince didn't let the teacher answer as he pleads, "Please do not tell anyone, Yoongi. Seokjin doesn't want to talk about it and I don't know what I will do if mother, father, or even Taehyung finds out." He looks away in shame.

 

Mr. Min, who massages his head, asks the young prince, "Didn't Prince Taehyung see you with him in the library? While you two were inside, he entered, didn't he?"

 

Jungkook shook his head, "No. We hid."

 

Afraid that someone might overhear them, Yoongi cuts the conversation short. He makes sure that the doors were shut completely and locked before going back to the prince, who is still frozen to his chair.

 

"Young prince, do you have any idea what you are doing to this entire kingdom?" Yoongi takes the flute away, "I suggest that you end this relationship before more people know. Who else knows besides me?"

 

Jungkook looks down, mumbling, "Hoseok knows."

 

Yoongi almost looked angry, "You mean Prince Seokjin's personal...nanny?! Why are you so careless?!"

 

The prince glares at the statement he made even though he wasn't on good terms with Hoseok. He stands up and since he's taller than the teacher, he looks down at him, "Do not say that. I don't like him, but he is still Seokjin's closest friend."

 

Mr. Min groans, nearing the border of yelling, "Jungkook! It doesn't matter anymore! If he knows and I know, there is a fat chance that more people know about this."

 

Prince Jungkook can be stubborn, like now. He himself knows that this is wrong but at the same time, it felt right to love Seokjin.

 

"I will not end the relationship."

 

Not wanting to argue anymore, Yoongi throws his hands up with an exasperated huff.

 

"Young prince, you must," he tries but knows that he can't go against the prince.

 

"Listen to me! You are going to hurt yourself and Prince Seokjin."

 

~~

 

Prince Jungkook speeds to Seokjin's chambers. There shouldn't be anyone in or around there at this time which is perfect.

 

But on his way there, the raven haired prince ponders over Mr. Min's talk with him. The teacher is still mad, dismissing him from his lessons early.

 

"Prince Jungkook," Hoseok bows when he sees the young prince arrive at Seokjin's room, "What brings you here?"

 

He asks this but the both of them knows that Jungkook is here to see Seokjin.

 

"Hoseok, I just need to see him for a while," Prince Jungkook says firmly. Hoseok purses his lips, debating if the prince should be let in or not.

 

Surprisingly, he mutters, "Ten minutes," before leaving. Jungkook watches him walk down the hall. Turning back to the door, the young prince enters without knocking. 

 

When he is fully inside, he sees Seokjin fixing his hair in front of the mirror across from his bed. When the older prince notices him, he spun around and let Jungkook's arms engulf him.

 

"I thought you still have lessons," Seokjin mumbles into his chest. His hair tickles Jungkook's neck.

 

"Something came up," the young prince steps back to hold Seokjin's hand, something that is starting to become a habit. His fingers rub the soft hand until he feels something small and hard.

 

"What is this?" Jungkook's expression turns darker as he raises Seokjin's hand closer.

 

A gold ring gleams in the light as Jungkook turns the hand. He already knows what it is.

 

The wedding is nearing closer and closer by the minute.

 

"Jungkook, I had to," Seokjin retracts his hand, leaving Jungkook with a blue expression.

 

"Kook, please listen," he embraces the young prince, "You know I love you." He nuzzles into his hair, "You and only you."

 

Jungkook sighs, "I know. I love you so much." He runs his hands up and down Seokjin's back.

 

"But, what are we going to do?" the young prince says quietly. The princes know that they can't avoid this forever. Soon, the kings, queens, everyone has to know about this. Especially Prince Taehyung.

 

"I am too scared to think about the outcomes," Seokjin closes his eyes, wanting to lose himself into Jungkook's comforting body, "Our parents could become enemies. If that happens-"

 

Jungkook is met with scared eyes. Seokjin's lips trembled slightly as he finishes his sentence, "We won't be able to see and hear from each other ever again."

 

"Shh..." Jungkook hushes the older prince, "No, that will never happen. I know that won't happen."

 

Hoseok comes into the room soon and Jungkook understands that it's time for him to go.

 

"Good night," Seokjin says lovingly and blows a kiss as Jungkook pulls away.

 

The raven haired prince plays along and catches the kiss.

 

"Sweet dreams, Seokjin."

 

~~

 

A couple of weeks pass. A big event in winter is nearing, celebrated every single year ever since he was born. A event for a specific person.

 

The day of Prince Taehyung's birth is arriving.

 

Of course, being the future ruler of the kingdom, the event is going to be huge. Prince Jungkook knows from experience.

 

Many people would attend the event in the palace and citizens celebrate it with fireworks, music, and with the beauty of winter.

 

Everyone is excited and already started on preparations. However, the royal family isn't feeling so good.

 

No one else besides the king, queen, princes, and a few other close staffs that they trust knows.

 

Prince Taehyung is really sick. He already had been sick. It's just..... it's getting worse.

 

Jungkook worries for his brother just like everyone else who knows about this.

 

The people of Manerin thinks that Prince Taehyung is a strong prince and will be an even stronger king. But they don't know how his condition is changing.

 

Prince Jungkook just visited Taehyung and now he's out in the pavilion, wondering if his brother will get well soon. He never thought that it would get this bad.

 

"Jungkook," Seokjin sneaks his arms around him from behind, "I'm afraid."

 

Jungkook maneuvered himself so that he can hold Seokjin instead. "Taehyung will be fine. We have to believe it."

 

Seokjin nods against Jungkook's chest, letting out a small exhale. Though he is love with Jungkook, he still cares about Taehyung as if he's family.

 

They sat quietly as they think about the near future.

 

"Seokjin," Hoseok walks into the pavilion, "The queen would like to see you. It's about the celebration of Taehyung's birthday."

 

The couple can tell that Hoseok still doesn't like them together but has come to terms that there's nothing he could do about it. That's good enough for Prince Jungkook.

 

When the older prince leaves, promising to see him later, Mr. Min appears just as they were leaving.

 

"Young prince, you have got to be more cautious," he says and sits across from Jungkook, "I really mean it. Anyone could have seen you and the prince together right here in this pavilion!"

 

Jungkook knows that Yoongi is just as concerned as Hoseok.

 

"I know. I'll be more careful," he says but Yoongi looks at him like he doesn't believe it.

 

"Let's go. You have to catch up on your sword fighting," he pats Prince Jungkook's shoulder to follow him out.

 

~~

 

Jungkook opens his eyes and caught a glimpse of the same white light that takes him to and back from the past. It's gone as fast as it came and Prince Taehyung is pacing.

 

The spirit looks deeply conflicted, as if there's a problem coming and he doesn't know how to deal with it.

 

"You were that ill?" the teenage boy asks but remembered how sick the prince looked like in bed.

 

"Yes. And I will be until the end of my life," he stops pacing back and forth. "You can see that I am perfectly fine as a spirit. But as a living person..." he trailed off and looks at his feet.

 

Jungkook doesn't know what to say next.

 

"Jungkook, prepare yourself, mentally," Taehyung advises, "The most important part of the story is coming and you won't like it."

 

~~

 

"Oh my!" Jungkook's mom gasps, "Jungkook, I can't believe you didn't ask me first!"

 

Jungkook laughs lightly at his mom's expected reaction.

 

He took the job offer from Namjoon and had gotten his hair dyed today. His once light brown hair is now dark and raven to match Prince Jungkook's physical appearance.

 

His mom has no problem with him dying his hair but she didn't like how she wasn't informed at first.

 

"It's okay, mom," he calms her, "You know it's for my job." It doesn't take long for her to like the new color.

 

Speaking of his job, Jungkook takes advantage of this and tells his mom, "Mom, I'm probably going to be staying late at the museum with Namjoon and the others for a while."

 

Ah, yes, his mom had met Namjoon already and Jungkook knows that she trusts the man enough.

 

"Late? That's not good for you though! You need enough sleep for school," she argues, "You can't let your grades drop so low."

 

Jungkook assures her that he'd be fine and he'd get sleep, somehow.

 

The thing is, there aren't any meetings at all in the museum. He feels bad for lying so much to his mother but it'll make things way easier.

 

~~

 

"Wow! Jungkook, you look so cool!" Jimin squeals out when he sees his friend at the front of their school.

 

Jungkook grins at the compliment and nods at him, "You don't look bad yourself."

 

Jimin didn't realize he was kidding until a few girls nearby giggled at him. He gasps in horror as he searches for his hat that had fell off somewhere.

 

Jungkook knows that it's Jimin's bad hair day today.

 

When they settled themselves at Jimin's locker, Jungkook examines his new bangs. He won't get it styled until the new opening of the museum.

 

"I'll make sure to come and support you on the first day of the opening. It'll be amazing to see you dressed like the prince," Jimin chirps as he closes his locker. His books were in his arms as he and Jungkook walk down the hall.

 

"I know you'll come. But don't lie to me," the now raven haired male smirks. When Jimin doesn't get what he meant, the younger one tells, "You're not coming to see me as the prince. You just want to see Namjoon in his normal staff uniform, the one he wears everyday when he works."

 

Jimin punches his arm, "Just be grateful that I'm going to come." A small blush is present on his face and Jungkook has to hold his laugh.

 

"I'm sorry, Jimin. But really, I think you should talk to Namjoon more if you're interested in him," the younger boy says. Though Jimin never said that he likes Namjoon, Jungkook knows.

 

"I guess I should. I don't know, Jungkook. Maybe I will later," Jimin mumbles before they stop at a classroom.

 

Jungkook drops Jimin off at his classroom before going to his a few doors down the hall.

 

Sitting down in his desk, Jungkook goes on some apps on his phone until he gets bored. Class will be starting very soon.

 

He turns the phone off and sees his reflection on the black screen. The longer he stares at it, the more he thinks that he's looking at Prince Jungkook and not himself. He swore he saw the reflection move a centimeter even though he didn't make any movements at all. It scared him a bit, but at the same time, it didn't.

 

The teacher comes in and the bell rings, bringing the rest of the students to class.

 

~~

 

"I'll see you later, mom!" Jungkook says as he walks out the door. He had just came back from school and Namjoon called him to come to the museum.

 

Jungkook walked happily and that made it look like he's skipping. The camera hanging from his neck makes him feel even lighter.

 

With all of the time traveling, he almost forgot about the beloved device. Because he will be working for the museum, Namjoon allowed him to bring his camera.

 

"Hello, Jungkook," Namjoon smiles at the sight of the boy. Jungkook waves in return and steps into the museum.

 

He follows Namjoon until they were in an office, away from artifacts. There, Jungkook sees an outfit laid out in front of him and gasps in wonderment.

 

"Take it and try it on. Since you're our only actor that's still a student, everybody else tried theirs on earlier," he hands the silky clothes over with care.

 

Jungkook went to another room to change and because he's used to seeing these kind of older fashion from going back in time, he had no trouble putting them on.

 

The blue shirt is tucked into his pants. There's a fake crown that came along with the outfit. As Jungkook stares at himself in the long mirror in the corner, he slowly places the crown on his head.

 

It was as if lightning had struck him. He was in shock at the final look. Again, his hair still isn't fixed to look like Prince Jungkook's yet, so his bangs covered his forehead. But still, he looks almost like he did in the past life.

 

"Wow..." Namjoon is an absolute awe when Jungkook comes back to the office. He cheers at how accurate it looked. "Jungkook, you're going to make this all a huge success! You look like the prince!"

 

Jungkook laughs nervously as the crowns slips out of place a little. Namjoon offers to take pictures for him, using the camera he brought.

 

~~

 

"Bye!" Jungkook shouts over his shoulder as he exits the museum. Namjoon says the same and stayed behind a bit. It's dark now and Jungkook stays hidden until Namjoon leaves.

 

Then, he does his routine, entering the castle through the back. He's still amazed how the bars of the fence can part for him to enter through.

 

"I'm here!" the boy announces like usual, jumping into the bedroom. And like always, Prince Taehyung is waiting inside.

 

He looks up and Jungkook can tell that he's stunned.

 

"Jungkook, your hair..."

 

"Yeah! It's the same color as Prince Jungkook's hair, right?" Jungkook smiles widely while the spirit is still in shock.

 

"Yes, it is."

 

Jungkook thought that the spirit would be wondered and smile about how similar he looked like his little brother. But, only a small crease formed between his eyebrows.

 

Prince Taehyung only stares at him with a stern expression.

 

"Tonight, you will finally find out the truth."

 

~~

 

Sunlight spills into Prince Jungkook's bedroom, casting his shadow onto the smooth floor.

 

Today is the day.

 

Prince Taehyung's birthday.

 

The every inch of the palace is decorated. It's beautiful and Jungkook never gets tired of it since it changes every year.

 

"Hello, Yoongi," the prince greets the shorter man. For today, they can act more like friends again instead of student and teacher.

 

"Hello. Jungkook, did you happen to see Hoseok anywhere? I need to have a word with him," Yoongi states. Seeing how he looked busy, even with no teaching today, Jungkook points behind him with no hesitation.

 

"Thank you. Remember to tell Taehyung happy birthday," he reminded the young prince before heading in the direction Jungkook pointed at.

 

"I'll always remember," he says softly before walking in the opposite way.

 

~~

 

Later that day, everyone is seated at the long dining table. A feast filled the entire table.

 

Prince Jungkook is satisfied with his seat because Seokjin is right across from him. When he can and no one is looking, he'd send the older prince winks and a smile. Prince Seokjin would try to hide his smiles and giggles.

 

It stopped when Taehyung suddenly takes Seokjin's hand, squeezing it tightly. Jungkook could see that his brother is tense, eating with a stiff jaw.

 

Prince Taehyung flicks his eyes up at Jungkook, who is taken aback slightly at the dark eyes. The older brother never looked at him this way, with such distaste.

 

Maybe he's just not feeling well again.

 

~~

 

The soft song echoes a little throughout the hall. The royal family sat in their place, which is higher than the rest. Having the best seats with the best view, the young prince enjoys the graceful dance in front of him.

 

A group of young girls dressed in pastel costumes flow with the music as if they were one with it.

 

Wanting to see Seokjin's reaction, Jungkook leans back to see the back of the prince. He chuckles silently at a cute strand of hair right on the top is Seokjin's head that has gotten out of place.

 

The chuckling ends when he sights movement next to Seokjin.

 

Prince Taehyung's shoulders were shaking, and Jungkook watches him leave quietly, not interrupting the dance and the people watching it.

 

"Mother, I will be back," he whispers to the queen's ear, who shakes her head but lets him go anyway.

 

The young prince follows his brother out until they were outside. Cautiously, he slid along the hard and cold wall until Taehyung stops abruptly.

 

Jungkook gasps when Prince Taehyung suddenly vomits, gagging as he tries to breathe for air. The little brother rushes to his hyung, hands on his back to keep him steady.

 

"Hyung! Are you feeling wel-"

 

Taehyung shoves Jungkook away and the harsh push left him on the grassy ground, staring in shock at the older prince. Up until now, Taehyung has never done this to Jungkook. Yes, they fought as kids but this... this is different.

 

The way Prince Taehyung glared at him was hurtful, as if Jungkook is the thing that he despises the most. But at this moment, he kind of is that already.

 

"Don't touch me. I wish you would die already," Taehyung growls before wiping his mouth, then stumbling away.

 

The young prince was left with wide eyes and trembling lips. 'What...what did I do?'

 

The birthday celebration ends with another success, even though this year's party ended hours earlier than the previous years. Everyone who attended left satisfied and smiling. However, Jungkook remains quiet.

 

"Kook, what's wrong? You look disconsolate," Prince Seokjin whispers. He comes close but doesn't touch him. The king and queen are still here and caressing the younger prince's face will only bring trouble.

 

"Nothing. It's nothing," Jungkook says twice but Seokjin knows better just like anyone else would. But he kept himself from saying anything else.

 

Instead, he changes the subject and with a soft but loud enough voice, says, "Let us go out in the evening. Bring your flute. I miss hearing you play it."

 

~~

 

Wanting to forget what had happened between him and Taehyung, Jungkook only thinks of Seokjin as he sees the older prince in the distance, running towards him. He looks so adorable that the young prince laughs quietly. Prince Seokjin is bundled up in warm clothes and it made his running unbalanced.

 

"My little rice ball made it~" Jungkook's hands went to pinch the handsome prince's cheeks, which were cold from the winter weather. He kisses his nose, which is pink. Seokjin huffs out small breathes of air, clearly tired from the exercise.

 

The two walked to the frozen lake. Once they are closer, they can see that there is only a thin layer of ice, not thick enough for Jungkook to show Seokjin that he can "walk on water."

 

So they made snowmen of each other. And when their gloved hands are too cold, they sat down and huddled together, warming each other up.

 

They watched the empty but beautiful view. Not many creatures are out because of the cold but it's peaceful that way.

 

"Jungkook, tell me what happened," Prince Seokjin rests his hand over his, telling him that it is okay to let him know what is on his mind.

 

Though he's a bit hesitant, the young prince finally sighs. "Hyung is so different now."

 

Seokjin immediately knows that it's about Taehyung being sick. "Do not let it affect you. We all have to be patient. He'll heal."

 

Jungkook nods even though he's still hurt by Prince Taehyung's words.

 

Again, they sit in silence until Seokjin brings up a sensitive topic.

 

"I think it's about time," he says, "It's time for us to tell everyone."

 

Jungkook is surprised at this. Seokjin too, even though it's him who said it.

 

"Now?"

 

"It doesn't have to be now. But I feel confident about it after thinking," Seokjin rubs his hands together.

 

"That sounds good to me," Jungkook wraps his arm behind Seokjin. "But Taehyung..."

 

Seokjin felt dejected too, "I know."

 

Luckily, Prince Jungkook remembered to bring his flute. He takes off his mittens before playing it to Seokjin. Mr. Min had taught him well; he played with grace and beauty.

 

The young prince told Seokjin that he dedicates the song to him, who got tears in his eyes from hearing the lovely song.

 

"Prince Seokjin!"

 

The pair turned their heads and see Hoseok running. He almost fell into the snowy ground but what worried them is the panic expressed in his face.

 

"Prince Jungkook!" he collapses on his knees, shaking. "Prince Taehyung is gone! He said he's going to find Prince Seokjin and just left! I'm afraid he might do something to Seokjin, he brought his sword!"

 

Jungkook and Seokjin looked at each other with confusion.

 

"Why?"

 

"He knows! He knows about you two! He's furious, very furious and the king has already sent knights to follow him but they don't know where he is!" Hoseok cries out.

 

Jungkook thinks quickly, "Hoseok, take Seokjin out of here."

 

He then turns to the older prince, "If he comes here, I can handle it. You have to leave for your own safety. Who knows what he is going to do in his current state."

 

"No! I will stay and help you," Seokjin says stubbornly but Hoseok takes him.

 

"Prince Seokjin, lets follow Prince Jungkook's commands," he pulls Seokjin away even though the prince put up a big fight.

 

"Jungkook! You can't stay here alone!" he shouts but the young prince turns away.

 

He knows that Taehyung will be able to find them but if Seokjin is gone, then it's only going to be him.

 

After a few minutes, Jungkook hears the sound of a galloping horse and neighing. The horse leaps out from the woods.

 

"WHERE IS PRINCE SEOKJIN?!!"

 

Prince Taehyung never looked this enraged before. He jumps off the horse and stomps towards Jungkook.

 

When he's finally in front of the younger prince, his grip on his sword tightens. He repeats himself, seething.

 

"Where... is... Seokjin?"

 

Jungkook will not be afraid. He's not afraid.

 

"I won't let you hurt him."