Chapter 1

More Than A Lifetime

It was a Saturday, meaning no school for 17 year old Jungkook. So that day, he decided to go outside with his camera since the weather is nice.

Jungkook lives in one of the biggest cities in his country. The reason is because it used to be ruled by a powerful king. The castle's been turned into a house museum, attracting many tourists to learn about the royal family.

One of the most famous stories is about the love story between Prince Taehyung and Prince Seokjin. From what Jungkook has heard, the two were to get married to strengthen the bond between their countries. They fell in love but Prince Seokjin had been poisoned and died just a few days before the wedding. A few months after the death, Prince Taehyung took his own life.

Jungkook never had any interests about the royal family; he only wanted to go inside and take pictures. Oddly, he have had some elders who have worked in the palace long ago bow down to him and cried with joy. They'd say, "Oh, it's the prince! You're alive!" Jungkook found it strange but he'd brush it off since they were so old and could be mistaking other people for a prince.

Anyway, because he didn't have enough money to enter, he had been taking pictures from the outside. The building itself is breathtaking.

Recently, he has found a part time job at a children's amusement park. He nearly has enough to get himself in but he's in no rush.

Jungkook stops to snap a few pictures at the castle from a block away. Today he'll walk around to the back of the castle since he hasn't been there for a while. He's been trying to improve his camera work whenever he can.

Surprisingly, the place isn't as busy as it normally was. That's better for Jungkook though. Less people could mean less distractions and interruptions. People would always come up to him and asked him to take a picture with their family or friends since they always assume that he's a photographer. Although he would like to be a photographer, he couldn't yet. Finishing school is what he wants to focus on for now.

The young man stops when he arrives at the back of the castle. He's still a bit disappointed that the area is fenced. Too high for him to climb and too small to fit through, he could only do his best to admire its beauty behind the metal bars.

Raising his camera up to his face, Jungkook could only hear cars driving and honking in the distance. He tries to find a good angle and make sure that the pictures come out clean. It always annoys him whenever something comes out blurry.

"Damn," he muttered to himself since the picture he just took is out of focus. Deleting the picture, he returned to concentrate again. Jungkook tries again, 100% sure that it's perfect. Humming to himself, he checks the picture, only to see that it's even worse.

"What?" he checks the camera lens to see if it's dirty. No, it's cleaner than ever. Tilting his head in confusion, Jungkook holds it up one more time. If this one is also bad, he might have to-

*Snap*

Holding the camera out but close enough for him to see the picture, Jungkook's eyes squint, "What.....is that?"

In the picture, everything is perfectly clear, except for a blur in one of the windows. The teenager couldn't make out what it was but when he looks up at the exact window, there was nothing there.

Without thinking, he takes another picture of the window, examining it afterwards. The blur became a bit clearer that he could tell that it was a person. Looking up again, he finds no one there.

Now he's a bit creeped out.

Is someone trying to prank him?

He then tells himself to try one last time. There has to be a person in there.

*Snap*

 

"Aghhh!!"

Jungkook drops his camera and fell down.

He breathes hard and is frightened. 'My eyes are lying to me, are they?!'

The young man was going to leave his camera but somehow, he dared himself to look at the new picture again:

A man stands at the window, staring right at Jungkook's camera. He looks very familiar though. It felt like he was looking at Jungkook, especially with how striking his eyes are.

Jungkook whipped his head up only to find no one again. He had enough so he got up with his camera and runs off, away from the tall castle.

When he is one block away, the same spot where he first took a picture of the castle today, he stopped to rest. With his hands on his knees, he pants loudly, causing some people around him to stare at him. While he was still catching his breath, a deep voice whispers right into his left ear, "Jungkook, hyung's sorry."

"Woah!" he stumbles backwards to see who was talking to him. No one. No one.

"Is something wrong with him?" a woman whispers to her boyfriend.

Jungkook realized how loud he was and went red with embarrassment. He straightened himself out then walked away as fast as he can.

~~

At home, he opens his laptop and does some research. The first thing he typed into the search engine was, 'Ghost sighting at Manerin Castle.' Of course there was no information about any ghost sightings so Jungkook ends up thinking to himself.

It could be a person who just wanted to explore the museum.

'But the way he stared at me was weird.'

'Maybe he likes getting his picture taken.'

'But his clothes are weird.'

'Maybe he wanted to match the castle, who knows.'

Jungkook groans and takes another look at the camera. The same man is still there, standing by the window with a small smile that you could barely see it.

"What if he's just some old ghost king or something," Jungkook chuckles joking to himself but cuts himself off, "Wait. Maybe he is!"

So he searches for Manerin's kings. All of the portraits had some resemblance but are definitely not the same person he caught in his camera. After an hour went by, he sees a picture of a prince. After reading the captions, Jungkook learns that the prince, Kim Taehyung, was suppose to take the throne after his father as the oldest child but like the famous love story had said, he passed away.

"It's him," Jungkook couldn't breathe for a while when he confirmed that the man in his camera is indeed the Prince Taehyung. They look exactly the same! Well, the only difference is that the one in his camera scares him.

Wanting to know more about this prince, Jungkook decides to discover who else is in the family. Because the story of Taehyung and Seokjin is so popular, Jungkook found a picture of them very easily.

The picture is black and white; it's obviously old but Jungkook could see how much love was in Prince Taehyung's eyes as he smiled at his fiancé. Speaking of his fiancé, Jungkook turns his attention to the man next to him and his eyes widened.

He didn't know that Prince Seokjin was this beautiful. The prince had looked at the camera so he didn't see the loving look that Prince Taehyung has.

"No wonder they're so popular. They're both extremely handsome. Perfect match," Jungkook mumbles with his hands under his chin. There weren't a whole ton of pictures since getting one was already too difficult at the time.

Spending more time on other family pictures, Jungkook stumbled upon a picture with the captions explaining that it was a picture of the brothers. There, Prince Taehyung smiled brightly next to his brother. When Jungkook looks at the other prince, the laptop suddenly turns off.

"What the hell?" he stands up to see why it had shut down all of a sudden. When it finally restarts, Jungkook was going to look at the picture, only to find that the tab had been exit out. Too tired to go back to it, Jungkook turns off his laptop.

"Enough history for today," he yawns and left to find something to eat.

When the young man left the room, the camera that had been placed on the desk falls off with a small thump.

~~

After a few weeks, Jungkook finally have enough money saved to go into the museum. His friend, Jimin, wanted to go with him.

"Aren't you excited? I've been in the castle once and didn't even finished the tour. It was that big!" Jimin goes on as they walked to the museum.

"I'm only interested in taking some good pictures," Jungkook lies. He does want to take pictures but he still wants to see if there's any mannequin of Prince Taehyung or something because he still wasn't sure how the prince got in his picture. On the other hand, it really can be the ghost of him. But that's probably not true.

When they got to the counter, Jimin and Jungkook paid to get in. It wasn't until they're actually past the entrance that they're surprised by the huge room that greets them.

A guy called Namjoon is going to help the group they're in around the castle, explaining each artifact/room and answering questions along the way. Jungkook is snapping away with his camera until he was stopped.

"I'm sorry sir but you can't take pictures inside the castle," Namjoon confronts him. When Jungkook asks why, Namjoon says, "It's part of the rules. We, the workers, were simply told that it's not allowed to let anyone take pictures. My guess is that less people would come if there's already pictures of everything in the museum on the internet. Only the staff are allowed to take pictures but it's only a few to attract people."

Jungkook takes one last picture, ignoring the glare Namjoon have him since he had just explained that no picture can be taken. The camera is placed back into its bag and the tour continues.

Going from room to room, they finally got to something that sparks interest in Jungkook. Prince Taehyung's room.

Namjoon let the group wander in the enormous room, reminding them not to touch some specific things. They want the museum to stay as close as possible to how it looked like when the king was still ruling.

Jungkook came across the same picture of Prince Taehyung and Prince Seokjin. He kept examining Seokjin's face, how smoothed it looked. Switching to the other side of the picture, he also stares at Taehyung's face. He came closer to get a close up of the framed picture. Jungkook is just looking at the prince's face until...

The eyes of Taehyung flickered to Jungkook in a flash, making eye contact and startling the teenager. He leaped back without making a sound.

"What's wrong?" Jimin asks from a couple feet away.

"The guy in the picture just moved!" Jungkook exclaims, "See-"

Prince Taehyung still has his eyes on Prince Seokjin lovingly, as if it had never moved.

"Never mind. I think I'm just a bit sick," he rubs his eyes. Maybe his eyes are playing tricks on him, "I'm going to use the restroom."

"Do you want me to come with you?" Jimin asks, checking up on his friend.

"No, thanks. I'll be fine," he answered back before going to Namjoon to ask where the bathroom was.

"At the very end of the hall. You'll see it," he gave simple directions.

Jungkook followed the said directions and eventually entered the restroom. No one else is inside besides him. Turning the sink on, he splashed some water on his face. 'Maybe I didn't get enough sleep,' he tries to convince himself even though he got extra sleep last night.

He rests his hands on the sink, slowly raising his eyes to look at the mirror. Out of nowhere, he felt drowsy. Jungkook could see his eyelids closing and soon enough, he falls asleep.

The last thing he saw was the mirror where Prince Taehyung was and a boy who looked like him but with a different hair color and clothes replaced his reflection.

"Hyung's sorry..."

~~

When Jungkook wakes up, he didn't feel the bathroom floor door under him. He didn't see the bathroom at all. Instead, he's in a bedroom, one similar to Prince Taehyung. The room is about the same size with different arrangements and furniture. It was dim, due to it being night.

"Jungkook?"

Jungkook sits up to see who is talking to him. Chills ran up his spine when he finds Prince Taehyung sitting in a chair next to the bed. He's smiling but it doesn't look like the bright one he has in the pictures.

"Did I scare you? Sorry, I didn't know how else I could get to you," he spoke with a deep voice. It was the same voice that whispered in his ear a few weeks earlier.

"I must be dreaming," Jungkook massages his forehead. Prince Taehyung gave an apologetic smile, "I hate to tell you this but it's real."

"Well, I'd appreciate it if you tell me why I'm seeing unusual things! I feel like I'm hallucinating," he says. He hand fumbles with the blanket, "And I'm talking to a ghost."

"Come here," Prince Taehyung stands up motioning Jungkook to follow. Hesitantly, he gets up from the bed, following Taehyung to one of the pictures hanging on the wall.

"See anything familiar?" he asks. Jungkook remembers well that the picture is of Prince Taehyung and his brother. He's seen it one his laptop....and then it turned off.

Jungkook flicks his eyes at the other prince and felt lightheaded.

"That's.....he looks like me," he whispered breathlessly. He couldn't believe it. The prince next to Taehyung in the picture looks just like him. He even appeared earlier in the bathroom mirror.

"He is you," Prince Taehyung corrects, "You're my younger brother."

"Unbelievable," Jungkook groans, "I've never even heard or seen this prince." He hasn't. Until now.

"You were the second son. I don't mean to sound rude but...you weren't the one that was going to rule the palace," Prince Taehyung shrugs.

Jungkook tried to remember the things he'd learn from researching, "If I am him, how did I die again? Old age?"

Prince Taehyung's soft smile vanish. His brows were scrunched and he turns away, "I can't tell you. It's too unbearable for me."

Jungkook, who almost forgot that he's speaking to a spirit, whines, "What?! I want to know!"

Taehyung chuckles softly and sadly, "I missed you Jungkook. But if you want to know, you have to promise me something."

Without any hesitation, Jungkook responds, "Okay. What is it?" It'd be pretty cool to know about your past.

"I also can't tell you that yet. Just promise me that you'll do me a favor in the future," Taehyung says, "I need your help because I can't go outside of this small castle."

Jungkook rolled his eyes a bit when the prince said that the castle was small but let it slide.

"I promise."

Prince Taehyung smiles again and leads him into another part of the castle. They go all they way to the front entrance.

"To understand, you'll have to start from the beginning," Prince Taehyung explains, "Are you willing to go to the past?"

"Go to the past?" Jungkook's excitement dropped for a moment, "Will I be able to come back?"

The older man laughs, "Of course. You'll be back by morning." He holds out his hand to Jungkook.

"What do you say, brother?" Taehyung grins. Jungkook pauses but decides that he does want to know what is going to happen.

He takes Prince Taehyung's hand and closes his eyes just as a flash washes over him.

~~

Prince Jungkook opens his eyes when a leaf lands on his forehead. He picks it up and twirls it around. The soft grass that he's on made his short nap very comfortable. It's not going to take long until-

"Prince Jungkook! You're break is over!"

Ah, back to his lessons. The young prince doesn't find the lessons fun but he does enjoy them. Standing up, he stretches, groaning before walking back to his tutor.

"Prince Jung-"

"I'm here, Yoongi! There's no need to shout anymore or you'll make me deaf," Prince Jungkook slumps down on the chair.

"How many times do I have to tell you? I am your teacher so be respectful and call me Mr. Min," the young lad scolds.

Jungkook decides to tease the slightly older but shorter man, "Mr. Min, if you are a teacher, why is it that I don't understand a single thing you teach me? Maybe you're not suitable enough."

"That is a lie! I know that you purposely act like an idiot to slow me down," the teacher turns to grab his bamboo flute.

"Enough bickering. It's time for you to practice," he hands Jungkook his instrument. The flute is slightly longer than other flutes but Prince Jungkook likes the sound of them.

Mr. Min has grown up with the princes and now has to teach Jungkook many things. Including music, Jungkook's favorite subject.

~~

"Are you really going to get married soon?" the young prince asks his older brother. Prince Taehyung has just finished practicing sword fighting.

"I am! It's good our people," Taehyung drinks some water from a cup nearby.

"But you don't even know her!" Prince Jungkook exclaims, "Aren't you sad that you won't get to marry the person you love?"

Prince Taehyung shakes his head, "He's a man, not a woman. I've heard many great things about him and I'm sure we'll fall in love."

Jungkook doesn't understand how his older brother thinks. But if he's happy, then it doesn't worry him.

"Jungkook, will you help me protect my husband," Taehyung asks.

"Of course. He's going to be family soon so I'll protect him," Jungkook says back. He is just as strong as his older brother which is why he could be relied on.

"I can't believe he's going to arrive here tomorrow," Prince Taehyung sighs dreamily as Jungkook takes his leave.

~~

"Jungkook, go sit next to your mother," the king says softly to his youngest son. Prince Jungkook bows then went to the seat by his mother. The queen his raven hair a few times before the sound of a horn alerted them that the Prince of Solia has arrived.

Many people had come to the palace to see Prince Seokjin. He's best known for his handsomeness and beauty. Prince Jungkook leaned forward to look at his hyung who is sitting next to the king. He could see how nervous and happy he is to meet his soon to be husband.

"Jungkook, sit properly," the queen reminds the prince. Jungkook waited to see the person that will marry his brother. An exquisite carriage stops not too far away and everyone got more excited.

Jungkook didn't realize that he's leaning forward again in anticipation until his mother taps his shoulder.

It was quiet, a person steps out of the carriage-

Everyone were amazed by the handsome man who stepped out. He had bright hair and an equally bright smile as he walked past many people. Jungkook knew something isn't right and could sense that Taehyung thought so too.

The man bowed in front of the king and queen before speaking.

"Good morning, your majesties," the man greets, "I am Jung Hoseok and I take care of Prince Seokjin. In order to decrease the chance of any ambushes on the prince, our king had another carriage come first." he motions to the fancy carriage that he had came in.

"Prince Seokjin will arrive shortly," he bows again.

The king nods, understanding the situation. "I see. It will be no problem to wait. Come this way, you must be tired," he orders a maid to Mr. Jung.

A few minutes has past and the prince has not shown up yet. Jungkook needed to use the bathroom. His mother excused him but told him to hurried since it'd be rude to miss something like this.

~~

Right when Prince Jungkook came out of the bathroom, he hears another horn, "Oh, no! I can't miss this!"

His boots clicked on the floor as he ran swiftly down the hall and outside. He sees a man bowing to his family and sprints.

When he almost reached his chair, the young prince slowed down to catch his breath and make sure that he looks presentable. Adjusting his shirt, he slips into his chair and does his best to look mature.

His mother shakes her head slightly since her son had almost missed the arrival of Prince Seokjin. Jungkook was too busy facing forward with a stoic face that he forgot to look at the prince.

As for Prince Taehyung, he blushed immediately at the first sight of Prince Seokjin. Honestly, he had never seen anyone with this much beauty. It had put the said prince into a trance, staring softly at the humble Prince of Solia. Prince Seokjin looks up and casts the sweetest smile at the prince, causing his face to change from pink to red.

He had just met the prince and had already started to fall in this beautiful thing we call "love."

~~

"What are your thoughts about the prince?" Prince Taehyung asks his brother. He's still in a daze while Seokjin is resting in another room.

"I didn't see him," the response made the older of the two gasp.

"Why not? Were you not present?"

"I was there. I just didn't see his face. He seems polite though," Jungkook comments.

Prince Taehyung decides to talk about something else, "Jungkook, can you help me with something tomorrow. I have a meeting and can't go."

The young prince nods, "Anything."

~~

The chilly morning was refreshing because of the rain last night. Prince Jungkook tugs on the hat he's wearing as he walks past the bustling shops in the next morning. His ears were filled with people buying fruits, vegetables, meat, and more. He only came for one thing though.

A coat.

Prince Taehyung had a custom made coat for Prince Seokjin as a gift. Since he's busy today and doesn't trust anyone else to pick it up, he asked Jungkook to do it.

It doesn't take long until he has the coat and begins to make his way back to the castle. Dressed differently, no one noticed Jungkook and just thought of him as an ordinary person.

As he cross a small bridge, he made sure to be careful not to drop the coat into the mud below. He almost succeeded in crossing the bridge but a person bumped into him. Jungkook kept the coat up high and when he trips his way across the rest of the bridge, he sighs in relief because the coat was safe.

He then heard some coughing and realized that he may have pushed the other person over the bridge. Jungkook went to help the person out, who is covered in mud completely. His entire body had been drenched.

"I am so so sorry!" Jungkook apologizes as the man tries to wipe some mud off his face. It didn't work.

"It's alright. It's my fault for bumping into you," the man said. Jungkook places the coat somewhere safe then spot a well not too far away. He takes the muddy man there to clean up a bit.

"What's your name?" Jungkook asks while cleaning. The man spoke back, "I'm Jin. You?"

Jungkook couldn't let this man, Jin, know that he's a prince so he responds with, "Just call me Kook."

"Kook?"Jin's face is still muddy but Jungkook could tell that his brow was raised.

"Yes, your name sounds similar to the Prince of Solia. Seokjin," Jungkook adds.

"Oh, really?" Jin splashes water on his face, rubbing the mud off, "I didn't know."

Jungkook is still washing his arms when Jin calls him, "Hey, Kook. Thanks for helping me clean up."

"No problem," the prince said back. He turned to give Jin a smile but froze.

Jin's hair is still wet and some stuck to his forehead while some were matted on his head. His lips were parted slightly as he takes small breathes. His nose is red from the cold air and water but Jungkook could only say one thing about him.

He was absolutely stunning.

~~

Another flash brought Jungkook back to the present and he opened his eyes. He's back in the museum. After taking a few deep breaths, he sees Prince Taehyung in the corner.

"What was Prince Seokjin doing as Jin?" Jungkook asks first. He had realized that he couldn't control the Jungkook in he past. He could only watch like it was a movie. There were times where he actually felt like it really was him though.

"It's morning. I guess if you want to know, you'll have to come back tonight," Prince Taehyung sings.

Jungkook groans, "But I can't. I'm not a millionaire." If he has to come again, he'd be broke.

"Oh, yes you can. I know you will. You'll find another way," the spirit says, "Now you have to leave. I'll see you soon."

With that said, Prince Taehyung fades away while Jungkook calls for him to come back since he had so many questions. He was left alone.

"Guess I'll have to come back tonight," the young man said to himself. But he thought to himself:

'So I really am Prince Jungkook.'