Chapter 3

More Than A Lifetime

Prince Jungkook waits outside of Prince Seokjin's chamber. Dinner was finished (and painful) long ago and he wants answers.

Seokjin has excused himself early and Taehyung had escorted him out, giving Jungkook no time to see him right after the meal.

He's been pacing outside for a couple of minutes now, thinking about how to bring this up to the other prince. 'Why did you lie to me? Did you know who I was from the start? Or were you just as clueless as me?' The questions keep flooding in; it was an endless river, just full of questions.

Prince Jungkook could not take it any longer and knocks on the door, listening for Prince Seokjin to let him in.

"Who is it?" Prince Jungkook could hear Seokjin right behind the door. He knows that Seokjin knows it's him knocking.

"Let me in," Jungkook said with another knock. He needs to talk to Jin/Prince Seokjin now.

"I-I'm very busy at the moment. Please come back later," Prince Seokjin stammers but that doesn't stop Jungkook.

Seokjin cries out when Prince Jungkook breaks his way in; he had thought that the door was locked. Part of the rules is that Jungkook wasn't even suppose to go in Seokjin's room because he will marrying Taehyung. Jungkook shuts the door then locks it, preventing anybody from interrupting.

A maid must have heard Prince Seokjin's cry because she came to knock on the door, "Your highness, is there a problem?"

Prince Seokjin is a few feet from the door, "No, I just accidentally closed the door on my finger."

"Oh! Goodness! I shall have a doctor come in to take a look at it!" the maid exclaims.

"No! It is not needed! Please don't call for the doctor," Seokjin replies back. Though the maid was hesitant, she obeys as it was her job.

Once she was gone, Prince Jungkook steps forward with an aura that made Prince Seokjin step back. Jungkook stops when he saw how afraid and nervous Seokjin is. He thought they were friends. He doesn't want to be someone Seokjin fears at all.

"Jin..." Jungkook says in a calmer voice, "I don't understand..."

Prince Seokjin knows exactly what he means. He looks down, almost like he felt at fault. "I did not know that you were a prince," he whispered.

"Why didn't you tell me who you really are in the beginning?" Jungkook asks, "Forget it. You probably have the same reason I have."

Prince Seokjin lifts his head a bit, "Do you not like me now that you know who I am?" The question hits Jungkook.

"Of course I do not!" the young prince composed himself, "I was just surprised that you were the Prince of Solia..."

Seokjin was about to say something but someone knocks on the door once more.

"Seokjin? The maid has told me that you are injured," Prince Taehyung speaks at the door. Seokjin panics because Jungkook could be in real trouble for being in his chamber.

Prince Jungkook knew this too, so without further talk, he lets Seokjin push him into the wardrobe and he fell into the soft clothes inside.

When Prince Seokjin opens the door for Taehyung, Prince Jungkook peeks through a crack. His older brother was holding Seokjin's finger closely to his lips. They were speaking softly and with all the clothes around him, Prince Jungkook had trouble hearing anything. But he tenses up when Taehyung examines a finger closer than before, rubbing it while smiling kindly at Seokjin. He looked very worried about Seokjin and Jungkook felt a pang of guilt and envy.

Jungkook didn't realize how hard he was pulling on a shirt until the hanger snapped loudly, catching Taehyung's attention. He stayed as still as possible as Prince Taehyung asks Seokjin about the sound.

"I did not hear anything," Prince Seokjin says quickly, "It's getting late. You should go to bed Prince Taehyung."

Taehyung throws another glance at the wardrobe before kissing Prince Seokjin's soft hand lightly. After he leaves, Seokjin yanks the door of the wardrobe open.

"Prince Jungkook, you can't stay here. Please leave the room," Seokjin pleads while pulling the younger man out.

"But I am not finished with our talk," Jungkook said firmly. He was ignored and pushed more towards the door, "Jin! Listen to me!"

"Kook, you should listen to me," Seokjin said in a hushed voice, "It's not a good time to discuss things now." He tried to close the door but Prince Jungkook held it open.

"If that's so, when can we talk again?" he grits through his teeth. With his eyes locked with Seokjin's, Jungkook made it clear that he have to clear things up sooner or later.

"Next morning, before the sun rises. I'll see you at the grand staircase," Prince Seokjin whispered before the door shuts completely, leaving Jungkook alone in the large hall.

~~

Prince Jungkook wakes up early; why wouldn't he? It's Seokjin we're talking about. A few workers are awake and already doing their jobs. Some greets the young prince as he makes his way to the grand staircase, a bit confused about why he woke up so early. His first lesson before breakfast doesn't start until another hour or so.

He got to the top of the staircase, which splits into two sets of stairs on each side. Seeing that Seokjin isn't here yet, Jungkook walks down the stairs. His steps echoed lightly in the large area.

Once he reached the bottom, he sighs, still not believing his misfortune. Jin is not Jin. He's Prince Seokjin and Jungkook hates how he likes him so much. He hates how Seokjin's smile makes his heart skip a beat, how Seokjin's voice play beautifully in his ears, and how Seokjin is Seokjin, so lovable and charming.

The prince turned back to look up at the stairs when he heard footsteps.

Prince Seokjin stood at the top of the stairs where Jungkook previously was. The clothes that were chosen for him to wear made the young prince's jaw drop. Seokjin looked so amazing with his face fresh for the day. Jungkook stares until he noticed that the coat was familiar. He felt empty for a second.

Taehyung's coat.

It was the gift that Prince Taehyung gave Seokjin. It looks perfect on him. Jungkook looks away from the coat and back to Seokjin's face as he descends from the white stairs.

"Good morning, Prince Jungkook," Seokjin bows. Jungkook knows that he was just being respectful but Seokjin's manners are making him boil a bit. He doesn't want to be reminded every second that Jin is going to marry his brother because he's Prince Seokjin. It hurts.

"Good morning," Jungkook bites back to urge to say more. He watched Seokjin glance around for people.

"Shall we go?" he asks the young prince.

~~

Prince Jungkook leads Seokjin to the butterfly garden, also owned by his mother. It's a bit dim since the sun is just about to rise. Prince Seokjin decides to bring the topic up first.

"Kook, Jungkook, I'm really sorry. I know I should have told the truth earlier, at least after we became friends," he sulks, his body drooping a little. It wasn't his fault of course since he can't tell everyone who he is. It could lead to potential danger.

"No, you don't need to apologize. I should have understood you from the beginning. I also shouldn't have barge into your chambers last night. I'm sorry," Jungkook says, remembering how he practically barged into the room, "But, I hope that us being princes won't stop us from seeing each other."

The last sentence made Prince Seokjin smile, "Of course we can still see each other. We're good friends after all." Prince Jungkook is glad but at the same time, somewhat sad. He should've known that Seokjin only saw him as a friend. Maybe it's best to abandon his feelings for Prince Seokjin before they grow stronger, "Yes, we are..."

"Oh!" Prince Seokjin exclaims when a butterfly fluttered past. The sun is starting to rise, lighting up the sky slowly. Jungkook watched the handsome prince's amazed face as the butterflies began to show up.

"For years, my mother had our workers collect different kinds of butterflies. She said that the various colors will be stunning," Jungkook described. Seokjin turns to him with a smile so radiant; Jungkook almost forgot that the sun exists.

"They are very beautiful," he admires the little creatures over again. Prince Jungkook couldn't stop himself and before he knew it he says, "Just like you."

Prince Seokjin's smile faltered for a moment and Jungkook felt annoyed at himself for letting those words slip out.

"U-um, that's what Taehyung would say if he was here. He's head over heels for you after all," he stutters out, hoping that Seokjin wouldn't suspect anything.

He knew he did something bad when Prince Seokjin's smile faded away completely. "He's a real gentleman. I'm sure I will fall in love with him before the wedding," he says but the smile has not returned to his face.

The princes' talk was stopped when the queen came into the butterfly garden. They both stood up and bowed. "Good morning, your highness," Prince Seokjin greeted. Jungkook grins at her, "Hello, mother."

"Oh, hello! May I ask why the two of you are up so early in the morning?" she says. Jungkook and Seokjin threw a glance at each other.

"I just happened to wake up earlier than usual and saw that Prince Seokjin was awake too. Many people loved your butterflies so I wanted to show him too," Jungkook answered for the both of them.

"Ah, I see. It's just that Jungkook has to leave now," the queen turns to her youngest son, "Mr. Min decided to start your lessons early today."

Jungkook grew irritated but didn't show it. Why is today's morning lessons earlier than usual?!

~~

"Prince Jungkook! We went over this many times already," Yoongi huffs, "Please, I'm begging you, just concentrate and stop playing the wrong note. You have to eat breakfast soon." He doesn't want the young prince to be late for his first meal of the day. All he needs is for him to play the few measures of music correctly.

"I'm trying," Jungkook whined. He really isn't though. By now, Seokjin had taken over him, throwing him into an abyss of happiness.....and irritation. In all honesty, he loves the shorter man but sometimes Jungkook would feel like he's trapped by his own teacher, suffocating. He wants to do more, to go off and have some fun that he never really had before. Sure, playing flute and sword fighting is fun but it's because he had to do it as a prince.

"You can make it on time and see princes Taehyung and Seokjin," Yoongi states, "I know how much you love your brother and I saw how you had became friends with Seokjin in the butterfly garden." As he had thought, Jungkook immediately sits up straighter, checking his posture and the sound of the flute filled Yoongi's ears.

Jungkook is doing fine when Taehyung pokes his head in the room. Yoongi went to him while the young prince was still playing, not noticing his brother behind him.

"Hello, Yoongi. Is Jungkook alright?" The oldest prince asks. He smiles at how his brother is learning so fast.

"Yes, I guess so. He was acting a bit strange a while ago but it's probably nothing. He should be done after this piece," Yoongi informs him. Taehyung nodded before making his way to the dining hall. Mr. Min listens to Jungkook until he finishes. Looking up at the older man, Prince Jungkook waits for him to respond.

"Good work. You're free to go."

And just like that, he raced out in a flash.

~~

At the table, everyone sat in the same seats as before. Taehyung spoke softly across the table to Seokjin, who did the same. The king and queen looked pleased at this. Meanwhile, Jungkook chugs down his fourth glass of water angrily, but it was so subtle that no one noticed. Watching the interaction before him made him remember Seokjin's words:

"I'm sure I will fall in love with him before the wedding."

Who wouldn't?! Prince Jungkook knows that his older brother is very charming. Everyone would want him to be their knight in shining armor and their desire for him is way bigger than you'd think.

Yes, he himself is also very handsome but this thing is, he isn't the oldest son. He's not the one becoming king. His job will be to stay by Taehyung's side and help him with whatever he needs help with. Until the end.

Prince Seokjin glances to Jungkook for the first time during the meal. The young prince couldn't help but look up and down from Seokjin's face to his chest with every detail. He caught the older man blushing and his eyebrow rose in amusement. 'Is he blushing because of me?' he thought.

For the rest of breakfast, Taehyung and Jungkook could not take their eyes off of Seokjin.

And Seokjin couldn't stop his pounding heart whenever he makes eye contact with one of the princes (I'm pretty sure we all know who it is).

Suddenly, a bright white light fills the room and the last thing Prince Jungkook saw was a shy and slightly flustered Seokjin.

~~

Jungkook rubs his eyes after the bright light disappeared. When he removed them, he finds himself standing right in the middle of Prince Jungkook's museum room. He turns around to see Prince Taehyung by the doorway.

"Prince Taehyung!" he starts like he had found out something extraordinary, "Prince Jungkook was in love with Prince Seokjin." He understands, but at the same time doesn't, "But he's in love with you."

Prince Taehyung laughs but Jungkook knew that the spirit wasn't humored at all. "Was he really in love with me?"

Jungkook tilts his head to one side. "What do you mean?"

"I think it is best for you to go home now," the ghost steps out of the room. Jungkook felt a bit annoyed because he didn't answer his question again.

"Prince Taehyung," he runs after the spirit, "Wait!"

When he turned in the direction the prince went, he saw nothing but the dark hall of the closed museum.

~~

Jungkook made his way back to his house. He went out through the pried bars he also came through but was shocked when he saw that the bars of the fence straightened, fixing themselves so it looked like nothing had ever happened. Prince Taehyung probably did this. It's still very early so his mom is probably still asleep. When he sees his house, his thoughts were correct. All of the lights in the house were still off except for the one right outside his front door.

Not wanting to make too much noise, the young boy climbed into his unlocked bedroom window slowly. Since he'd already gotten his "sleep," he didn't need any more sleep. Instead, he got ready for school. Break's going to come soon so that's something he's looking forward to.

Because he got ready earlier than he usually does, he opens his laptop again. This story is making him itch for more, especially because he has to wait night after night. Why can't he just hear all of it in one go?

While searching for more information, Jungkook came across another website about the Kingdom of Manerin. After a few minutes went by, he found a list of people who had worked for the royal family. Unsurprisingly, Min Yoongi's name appeared. The description describes how he taught the youngest prince even at a young age himself. Jungkook then found some descendants of the teacher and-

"Jungkook!  Are you up yet?" he hears his mom calling from the kitchen. Breakfast is probably ready.

"Yes, mom!" he shouts back.

~~

Jungkook's never really been in the school library much but he can't help but go in there in hopes of finding a peaceful place. Unfortunately, the place was more full than he expected but he went in anyway.

Sitting at one of the tables, he takes out his phone and brought up the same site from this morning. He went to click on Min Yoongi's descendants. There was a long list but Jungkook didn't stop until he found a person who was said to still have some of the teacher's belongings. Maybe he'll find some things out from this person...

"Hey, what are you doing here?" Jungkook looks up to see Jimin taking a seat across from him, "You've never really come into the library."

Jungkook looks back at his phone after acknowledging his friend. "Just researching," he simply said.

Instantly, Jimin was at his side, peering over his shoulder and at his phone. "Are you that interested in the museum that you're digging into the list of people who use to work there?" he said to Jungkook.

"Yes, I am," he said, making Jimin frown. This really isn't like him to be like this.

"Okay then..."

"Jimin, wanna go with me after school to visit this woman?" Jungkook holds the phone close to the friend, who examines the name.

"Jungkook, that's a guy," he replied back, "But sure, I guess I can go. I think I've heard about him before." Jimin's family have a lot of ties with many people in this certain city so Jungkook isn't surprised at all.

Jimin looked weirded out when Jungkook suddenly whispered, "I need to know more."

~~

When school ended, Jungkook texts Jimin to meet with him. They went to Jungkook's house for food and his camera then walked to Min Yoongi's grandson or great grandson or great great grandson; Jungkook honestly forgot which one it was.

They found his address and it wasn't hard to do so since people went to see the teacher's things there. Jimin lead the way, skipping and spinning around as he went. Jungkook walked behind, taking the chance to record and take pictures of his best friend.

By the time Jimin was tired out, they've reached the place. Jungkook sticks a finger out to press the doorbell but before it could even touch it, someone came out.

"What? You again?" Namjoon asks when he steps outside. Jimin pops out from behind Jungkook.

"Hi, Namjoon!" he said as he remembered the man from the museum. "Why are you here too?" Jungkook asks him. He felt a bit nervous because Namjoon would be furious if he found out that he sneaked into the museum again and will continue to do so.

"I came to negotiate with the man here to have Min Yoongi's items placed in the museum," he answered, "Anyway, I need to get going now." He paid no more attention to the younger boys and went his way.

"Well that was quick. I kinda wanted him to stay longer," Jimin sighs sadly. No offense, but Jungkook has no idea what Jimin was thinking when he wanted Namjoon to stay.

"If you want to watch him disappear into the distance then go ahead. I'm going inside," Jungkook said and left his friend outside. According to what he had heard, this descendant of Min Yoongi is very stubborn about letting anyone take the old stuff. That's probably why Namjoon came out empty handed. But that's okay; Jungkook only came to look, not take.

"Are you from that stupid museum too?" an old man grumbled, startling Jungkook. The man was probably in his 60's or 70's.

"No, sir. I'm Jungkook," he said politely. The man narrows his eyes at the boy.

"Now, what is a boy like you doing here? Kids you're age don't have any interests in the history of Manerin," the old man said, rubbing his chin.

"I found out that you're related to Min Yoongi, who was the teacher of Prince Jungkook," he answers patiently. If he acted like an annoying child, he could be kicked out.

"Let me guess, you're just interested because you have the same name as the second prince. And a similar face too," he nods at him.

"That's not wrong," Jungkook replied back hesitantly, "But I'm also interested in Prince Taehyung and Prince Seokjin." He shifted his weight from one feet to the other.

"Ah, of course! That's all everyone talks about when it comes to the royal family," the man exclaims, "It's a tragic love story after all, it's no surprise that so many people are intrigued."

"Yeah...um may I take a look at Mr. Min's things. I won't take anything, I promise," Jungkook adds before the man can ask.

He stares at Jungkook as he think, deciding if he'd risk letting anyone steal anything.

"I suppose you can. You promised not to take anything after all," he finally said before motioning for him to follow him. Jungkook felt himself relax as he exhales a big breath that he'd been holding.

"There's a young man, older than you, who had just came by. He's a mature man and I liked him until I realized his intentions," the man starts grumbling again, "Said it's for the museum. I don't want my great grandfather's fragile things to become artifacts for strangers to look at. They're special to me. Min Yoongi is a great and talented person, that's what my father and grandfather told me." Jungkook pictures Namjoon walking down this very same hallway.

"I'm sure Min Yoongi was a great person," he agrees when he remembers the playful relationship Prince Jungkook had with the young teacher.

"This is it. Everything I have of him is in here," the old man unlocks the door in front of them. Jungkook his lips nervously, a strange feeling jumping around inside him. He felt like something is hiding in the room, waiting to be found. Maybe Jungkook will be the person to do it.

"Be careful. Don't let your excitement get out of control," the man warns as Jungkook walks around the room. He spots a sword in its sheath, on a table. Honestly, the young boy didn't expect this many things in the room. He'd thought that there would just be a box of the old things but the room amazed him beyond belief.

"May I touch them?" Jungkook asks, turning to the man who now owns them. When he got permission, though it also contained another warning, he carefully place his hand on a neatly folded shirt. He had not seen Yoongi wear this yet when he was taken to the past. Just as he was running his hand smoothly across the soft fabric, a loud sound of chairs tumbling over broke the silence.

"Ugh. It's probably someone needing something. I'll be back," he stood up then turns to Jungkook again, "Can I trust you to be alone in this room?" His eyes, which Jungkook noticed were similar to Yoongi despite the huge age difference, were boldly staring at him.

"Yes, sir. I won't take and break anything," he immediately answers. Jungkook was left alone when the man left, leaving the door open. He went back to the things, going from corner to corner.

While digging through a wooden box with cautious hands, Jungkook finds a book. It was plain, nothing interesting. He was going to put it back but while doing so, the book opened slightly and he saw his name. 

'Prince Jungkook'

Pulling the book out again, Jungkook opens it to the very first page, taking a seat on the floor. Realizing that it was a journal, the boy scanned through the entries that were recorded about once a week. Most of them talked about how Yoongi wished for a free day, not having the energy to teach the mischievous prince every single day. He chuckled at the complaints.

Jungkook flipped through quickly until he got closer to end of the journal. So far, everything seems like a normal entry. All the same, nothing out of place. He then noticed a rather empty page so stopped to take a look. It was only a third of the page but the messy handwriting looked so frantic that it made Jungkook a bit worried. Then, the first five words made him freeze.

Chills ran down his spine. 

He stopped thinking instantly.

 

'The prince had been killed.'

A quick flash blinded Jungkook for a second but he knew what he saw. Prince Seokjin was sobbing and bloodied.

 

 

 

Prince? Prince Seokjin?

Jungkook shakes his head, snapping him from his trance. He looked at the top right corner of the paper: 30/12.

Jungkook's thoughts soon came rushing in: 'Is this the time of Prince Seokjin's murder? Or is it talking about Prince Taehyung? But Taehyung took his own life, he wasn't murdered. And he just saw Seokjin crying. It was Prince Seokjin who was poisoned. Right?'

"Jungkook!" Jimin yanks him by his shoulder since his friend wasn't responding. When he had first came in after talking with the old man, he had called Jungkook's name multiple times but he stayed quiet and still. Jungkook began shaking and that's when Jimin yanked his shoulder. "Are you okay?!!"

Jungkook didn't realize it but he was breathing hard, feeling light headed, trembling, and frightened. The journal had been dropped onto the ground, closing itself. 

"Here's some water," the old man came with a glass of cool water. Jimin held it up to Jungkook's mouth, letting him drink it slowly. As the liquid runs down his throat, Jimin soothes him to calm him down.

"You better take your friend home quick. He didn't look sick at all when he first entered," the man tells Jimin. He nods and lifts Jungkook up from the floor.

"Shh...Jungkook, it's okay. You're okay," Jimin keeps repeating as they walk back home. Most of Jungkook's weight was on him but he didn't care, especially because his face was drained from all colors.

Jungkook didn't know why he felt so scared. He already knew that both Prince Taehyung and Seokjin were going to die so, why? Why is he so afraid? Why is he feeling this way? Most of all...

Why is he crying?

~~

That night, Jungkook snuck out of his room again. He still felt sick and his mom wasn't going to let him go to school the next day. Though he felt bad about sneaking out, he knew he had to.

He needs to get to the bottom of this.

The wind seems to be colder than it had been before, making Jungkook pull his hoodie closer to himself. The castle starts to come into view but he felt more exhausted with every step. Still, he forced himself to keep going.

Finally, he made it to the back of the castle and fell right through the bars that were pried once again for him to enter. He lost all of his stamina right there and can't help but close his eyes as the chilly air slowly brings down his body temperature...

"Help me, hyung..."