Chapter 2

More Than A Lifetime

After Prince Taehyung left Jungkook, the boy turns to the door to leave the museum. The problem was, it's locked. Cursing, Jungkook pulls on the handle in an attempt to open it. A few seconds later, the door unlocks and a person from outside came in.

 

"How did you get in here?!" Namjoon yells once he saw the teenage boy inside.

 

"I'd been locked up in here," he replied back. Since Namjoon has work to do, he shooed the boy out the door, first checking if the boy had taken anything with him. When he was clear, Namjoon tells him that if he came back, he must leave before the museum closes like everyone else.

 

Jungkook is pretty sure that he would stay after the museum closes anyway. If he's going to see Prince Taehyung again, he has to stay after everyone else had left.

 

~~

 

"Jungkook!" Jimin shouts in surprise when he got home. Jimin sits in the living room with Jungkook's mother. They were just talking about Jungkook's whereabouts.

 

"Jungkook, where have you been all night?!" his mother asks worriedly, "Jimin said that you just went missing." Jimin nods quickly.

 

"I went to check if you were still in the bathroom at the museum but no one was inside," Jimin adds.

 

Jungkook bites the inside of his cheek, trying to think of a way to explain this. "I.......I locked myself in a storage room on accident. Yeah, yeah, that's what I did," he lies, "A worker found me this morning."

 

"Jesus," his mother sighs, "Jungkook, that's why you have a phone."

 

She rubs her temple, "Anyway, you must be hungry then, missing dinner. Jimin, come eat breakfast with us."

 

He laughs, "I'd eat even if you didn't ask, Mrs. Jeon."

 

~~

 

"Were you scared?" Jimin asks Jungkook after eating. They were now in his room, talking about how Jungkook was locked in the museum overnight. 

 

"Nope. I think I may have saw a ghost and heard some screaming but it's all good," Jungkook said sarcastically. If Jimin believed this, he's too gullible.

 

"Yeah, right," he scoffs, "But I don't think I'd be able to sleep in that situation."

 

Speaking of sleep, Jungkook isn't tired or anything. While taken to the past, his real body took time in sleeping. It seems pretty fair.

 

"Jimin, do you want to go to the museum again?" Jungkook spins in his chair. He has to see more of this story.

 

"Yeah, why not?" Jimin throws a pillow up, catching it, then proceeding to throw and catch it again.

 

"Can we go today? And can you pay for me?" Jungkook asks with puppy eyes. Jimin looked away quickly enough that he'd dodge the cute face in time.

 

"We just went yesterday. I can't go. Today I have to work some things out with my family," he said with his eyes closed. Last time when he did look at Jungkook's puppy eyes, he spent the entire day babying him. "Never again," Jimin mutters quietly to himself.

 

"Then what are you doing with my family?" Jungkook stops the spinning before he vomits from the dizziness.

 

Jimin huffs, "I just came because I'm worried about you. You know what, I think I should leave now!" He fakes his anger and stomps out the room, hitting Jungkook along the way.

 

"Bye~" Jungkook sings back.

 

~~

 

Since Jimin couldn't come with him, he asked his mom for some money. "It's important," he'd say but his mom shook her head. "You already got your allowance  for this month and job," she had said.

 

He even considered finding another job but decided against it. With school, he doesn't want to cram more things into his day.

 

So he went back to the castle that evening, to the back of the castle where it had all started. Perhaps he could find another way in, just like what Prince Taehyung said.

 

With his arms on the fence, he peers between the bars to examine the windows and doors. Then, a small window by the ground caught his eye. It's probably the basement and he could get through it. But what about this stupid fence?

 

He spent a good thirty minutes trying to climb over it even though he knew he couldn't. It's pretty high anyway, using a ladder wouldn't help either. The castle is probably the most important thing in this city. He gave up and left.

 

~~

 

That night, he came back to the exact spot. His mom is back home, thinking that her son is still in his bedroom. He had placed some extra pillows on his bed with a blanket over it, shaping it to look like him sleeping. Then he snuck out of his window and had made his way here.

 

When he got there, a gasp escaped from him. Two bars of the fence had been pried away from each other, creating a gap large enough to fit Jungkook. He looked around him, checking if anyone's near him, before stepping into the huge yard. "I'm definitely not trespassing," he mumbles.

 

Surprisingly, the basement window is not locked. Jungkook opened it effortlessly and jumped in. The basement wasn't much, mostly empty with a few broken artifacts and boxes. He went up the creaky stairs and opened the door, leading to a hall of the museum.

 

After getting lost multiple times (he had ended up in the kitchen, dining room, and throne room twice), the boy finally found Prince Taehyung in Prince Jungkook's bedroom. Jungkook still couldn't believe that the room had been his before.

 

"I'm glad to see you here," Prince Taehyung said as Jungkook sat down on the bed. He takes a look at a picture of Prince Jungkook on the dresser; the young prince's groomed raven hair made Jungkook run a hand through his own soft brown hair. He had personally thought that he matches both hair colors and styles.

 

Remembering that he had wanted to ask Prince Taehyung about Jin, Jungkook turned to the man. "Why did Prince Seokjin lie and said that he's Jin? I asked this yesterday but you didn't answer," he frowned a bit.

 

"I did not answer because there is no need for me to," Prince Taehyung says, "You will understand everything soon." Jungkook gave a weird look at the spirit. He almost forgot why he is in this unforgettable situation.

 

"Will I have to come here every night from now on?" he asks. He already started to think about more ways to enter the place besides trespassing.

 

Prince Taehyung shrugs, "I would like it if you did but it is not mandatory. You can leave any time you want. You can leave this instant if you are not able to continue this." He turns and begins to walk away.

 

"Prince Taehyung! Don't you dare vanish into thin air! I want to do this. It's why I'm here," Jungkook stops the prince, "I would like to go to the past now."

 

"Very well then," Prince Taehyung hums, "Off you go."

 

Taehyung didn't take Jungkook to another room this time. He just told the young man to close his eyes and relax.

 

His body became lighter and even with his eyes closed, Jungkook could see and feel the warm light surrounding him.

 

~~

 

Prince Jungkook sat up when he saw the nurse leaving his brother's room. He went up to him and ask if his brother is alright.

 

"No worries, my prince. Prince Taehyung is just a bit overworked but he's fine now. You can help by making sure he doesn't get stressed or upset," the nurse said before leaving.

 

The second prince steps into the room with Taehyung to see if he's awake or not. He is, but he looked a bit pale.

 

"Hyung, how are you feeling?" Prince Jungkook asks as he sat in the chair nearby. Taehyung gave a stiff smile, "I'm fine. Thank you for coming to see me."

 

The young prince knew exactly how to cheer his brother up. "Taehyung, mother said that Prince Seokjin is on his way to your room," he recalls. He was right about cheering his brother up because the moment Seokjin's name was brought up, Taehyung's eyes shone greatly.

 

"That reminds me. Seokjin said that he loves the coat," Prince Taehyung told his younger brother. After Jungkook's encounter with Jin, he brought the coat to Taehyung, who then gifted it to Seokjin.

 

"That's good. Maybe he'll get you something in return," Prince Jungkook said, adding more excitement for Taehyung.

 

They chatted for a while until Prince Jungkook have to return to his sword fighting. Mr. Min also teaches him this and every once in a while, Prince Taehyung would come during his free time to practice with them.

 

He bid goodbye to Prince Taehyung then exits, walking down the hallway. As he makes a turn, he looks back at the door to his brother's room. He caught a small glimpse of the man entering Taehyung's room but knew instantly that it was Prince Seokjin even with his back turned to him. Prince Jungkook saw the expensive coat he was wearing.

 

~~

 

When Mr. Min's sword went flying, Prince Jungkook took this opportunity to point his sword at his teacher's throat. He pants with pride.

 

"I'm too good at this for you to handle,Yoongi," Prince Jungkook snickers at the bewildered face of his teacher. He doesn't even bother scolding him about calling him by his first name anymore.

 

"Fine. A promise is a promise. You can go out for the rest of today," Mr. Min surrenders. He had promised the prince that he could go outside of royal palace if he could defeat him in sword fighting.

 

"Make sure to wear your hat and cloak!" Yoongi calls after the prince as he practically skips his way out.

 

Listening to his teacher, he changed his clothes and brought some money with him. Not too much but enough to get himself a little souvenir if he wants anything.

 

He's a bit tired of the palace and so every once in a while will go out. Yoongi was very against it at first but after the king and queen finally approved, he learned to trust the young prince.

 

Most of all Prince Jungkook wondered if he'll see Jin again. He couldn't stay with him long after the mud incident. Jin seems to be in his mind lately, especially after he had seen his breathtaking face (when the mud had been washed off), so if he happens to see him again, he hopes to talk to him more. 

 

Jungkook is walking down the rows of booths. There was so many people happily going on with their day which makes him glad. His father wants everyone to live life happily and is sure Taehyung would do the same when he's king. But then he sees someone he knows. He pulls his hat low, merging to the side of the path and peeks at the person.

 

Jung Hoseok is also here. He looks like he's searching for something or someone. Curious, Jungkook follows him.

 

Soon, Hoseok found the person he was looking for at a goldfish booth and Jungkook couldn't believe his luck because it was Jin! 

 

He is too far to hear their conversation but Jin has a guilty look on his face as Hoseok  waves his hands around. Jungkook panicked a bit when Hoseok takes Jin's hand and pulls him away. But Jin pulls away and seems to be begging Hoseok about something. After a while, Hoseok shakes his head then nods at Jin, who smiled brightly and hugs him. Hoseok tells Jin something then left him alone. Jungkook thinks of this as his chance.

 

"Hello Jin," Jungkook says when he went up to Jin. He pushed his hat up a bit and gave him his best smile. Confidence fueled in him when Jin gets a shy look. "Oh, hi Kook," he says back. Thankfully, Jin still remembers him.

 

"Are you busy?" Prince Jungkook asks.

 

~~

 

"So, what happened back there with Hoseok?" Jungkook asks. He and Jin found a quiet place to talk and get to know each other.

 

Shock was displayed on Jin's face, "H-how do you know Hoseok?" Jungkook slaps himself mentally for forgetting. 

 

"I, um, I was in the palace for Prince Seokjin's arrival and saw Hoseok there. I went to the bathroom afterwards and didn't see the prince though," he tells him.

 

Jin became extremely relieved and Jungkook decided not to ask why.

 

"I didn't tell you before but I actually work for Prince Seokjin like Hoseok too. When we had first arrived, this kingdom is so fascinating that I wanted to come out as much as I could to explore," Jungkook smiles as Jin spoke excitedly, "But Hoseok tells me that it's not safe to always go alone. He didn't come with me last time but did this time."

 

Jin sighs, "I begged him to let me stay for a while since it's going to be my last time. After this, I must stay at the palace. I have to or I'll get in trouble."

 

Jungkook felt a bit sad that he might not see Jin again....Until he remembers that he lives at the palace.

 

"You know, I live in the palace. Maybe we could see each other there," Jungkook suggests, "If you want to."

 

Jin's eyes lit up once again, "Really?! Do you work there?" Jungkook nods. I mean, he does, but not exactly.

 

"Yes. Just meet me in my mother's plum orchard in two days," Jungkook said. Jin tilts his head, "Alright then. Where's your mother's orchard?"

 

Jungkook slaps himself physically this time. "I meant the queen's orchard. It's just...I have known her since I was born and she's a really kind person. I get mixed up sometimes and call her mother," he fakes a laugh. Jin seems to believe him despite his bad acting. They set up a time to meet up.

 

He and Jin spend the next hour talking and laughing because Jungkook found out that Jin can be hilarious. Jin even packed some raspberries and offered Jungkook some. It was just them and the quiet lake until Hoseok came back.

 

"Time's up! We have to go back now."

 

Jungkook hides his face from Hoseok while Jin said goodbye. He waves and Jin winks at him, remembering that they're going to see each other soon.

 

When they were gone, Jungkook takes his hat off and sighs dreamily. He reminded himself of his older brother with heart eyes whenever he thinks of Prince Seokjin.

 

"I'm sure Jin is just as beautiful as Prince Seokjin, maybe even more," Jungkook said to himself.

 

He can't wait to see Jin again.

 

~~

 

"Jungkook, pay attention," Mr. Min said for the fifth time. During his evening lessons, the prince couldn't concentrate. He's looking forward to meeting with Jin and it's all he can think about.

 

"Can't we take a break?" Prince Jungkook slumps over the table. He feels like he's learned enough about literature today.

 

"You just had one 30 minutes ago," Mr. Min said, "We are almost done. If you can answer the next questions correctly, we're finished for the day."

 

Jungkook picks up his quill and began to write as fast as he can but he makes sure that they're all right and readable. He knows that if Yoongi can't read his handwriting, he has to start all over.

 

"I'm too nice to you," Yoongi mutters. Jungkook only hums in return.

 

"Oh, there's Prince Seokjin," Mr. Min points out when he looked out the window. Seokjin is outside, walking towards the orchards. Jungkook could care less, he probably didn't hear the man. Moreover, he didn't even look up.

 

JinJinJinJinJinJinJinJin......

 

~~

 

Jungkook made sure that his dark, raven hair is neat and parted properly. He his lips nervously. Even though he had known Jin only for a few days, he felt like they were already friends. He wants to be friends. After that, it's possible that he could be able to court Jin.

 

He knew it is mostly impossible because Jin isn't a prince. But it doesn't hurt to dream. Or try.

 

He reaches the orchards and heads to the one with plums. There were less people there, which is why he chose that specific orchard. Just him and Jin, and maybe a few workers.

 

The bounce in his steps increased when Prince Jungkook sees Jin next to one plum tree. He looks incredible with the trees containing a dark purple color around him.

 

"Jin!" he calls, getting the latter's attention. Jin looks up from the plum he was holding to Jungkook and gave a small smile and wave. Prince Jungkook's wide smile fades a bit, wondering if Jin was alright.

 

"Jin, you're here," he said when he got to the handsome man. He expected Jin to bring up some talk about food or a joke, but all he said was, "Yes, I am..."

 

Jungkook frowned a bit in concern. "Is everything okay?" He leaned down a bit to see Jin's face.

 

"I will be. Hoseok had a talk with me and...  I'm sorry. You don't have to listen," Jin looked at the ground but Jungkook can see his glossy eyes. What did Hoseok do?

 

"Is Hoseok bothering you?" the prince asks, "If he is, I can ask the king and queen to do something about it."

 

"No!" Jin shouts, dropping the plum, "No, no, not at all. Hoseok is like an older brother to me, even though he's the younger one. He just wants me to be safe and had reminded me about certain things. He looks after me since I was a child." He pauses, thinking he could be speaking too much.

 

"It's okay. You can continue," the prince tells him. He's learned that having someone listening can be helpful at times, like how he would listen to Prince Taehyung whenever he feels down.

 

"My life is going to change. Hoseok told me that it's for the best, for me and my family. I won't be able to live at home anymore and-" Jin stops, "I still have to find the person I love, my soulmate."

 

Prince Jungkook doesn't know the full story but he doesn't ask. Instead, he pulls Jin into a hug, letting him cry softly. Sometimes it's good to have a good cry.

 

~~

 

Shortly after Jin finished crying, Jungkook takes them farther into the orchard until all they could see were plum trees, no people. They couldn't even see the way out but Prince Jungkook is so familiarized with the area, he knows how to leave. As kids, he and Prince Taehyung would play hide and seek in the orchards even when they're told not to.

 

There, Jin and Jungkook sat and ate the ripest plums. Jungkook learns more about Jin and soon, he finds Jin feeding him the fruit. Jin spoke as he fed the prince, talking about his childhood in Solia and more. Every once in a while, Jin would plop a plum into his mouth then go back to feeding Jungkook.

 

Prince Jungkook told Jin about the other orchards and areas in the palace that they can spend time in. Jin talks about a story about him and a snake.

 

"The snake was removed from me and I'm free with no bites," Jin finished one of his stories, "Since then, Hoseok has a fear of snakes."

 

Jungkook laughs at the ending of the story. Jin grins at the reaction. When the young prince looks back at Jin, he saw that the joy on Jin's face had been drained again. He was looking behind Jungkook.

 

Jungkook followed his gaze and saw Hoseok through the trees. With all the plum trees around, he hasn't seen the two yet. The man must be searching for Jin again.

 

"Kook-"

 

"I know. You should go," Prince Jungkook gave him a reassuring smile.

 

Jin stands up and walks to Hoseok, who still didn't see them. Jungkook wanted him to stay longer but knew that he has to go back to the castle too.

 

"Kook."

 

Jungkook turns to Jin, who stopped to say, "I'm glad I met you."

 

~~

 

Prince Jungkook and Jin continue to meet in the plum orchard once everyday. Sometimes, Jungkook would bring his flute with him and play it to Jin. Days turn into weeks, and weeks turn into a month.

 

Though they had become closer, Jungkook still thinks about actually telling Jin his full name. Now that they've been friends this long already, it's a bit awkward to just say, "Oh, by the way, I've been lying about my name for a month now. I am not just a random worker in the palace. I am actually Prince Jungkook."

 

Jungkook doesn't know how Jin would react. Would he even believe him? Not to mention, Prince Jungkook may have started to like Jin a lot more than just a friend.

 

"Jungkook, are you listening?" Prince Taehyung brought Prince Jungkook back to this world.

 

"What did you say?" he ask.

 

"Father said that you have to eat dinner with us tonight. No eating late at night," Prince Taehyung said, "Have you even talk to Prince Seokjin yet?"

 

Jungkook huffed, "No. Hyung, I haven't even seen him yet." He felt a bit rude that he has never properly introduced himself to the prince.

 

"Are you serious?!" Prince Taehyung laughs, "This long and you haven't seen him yet? Well, take this opportunity to meet him. Remember, he will be family soon." Prince Taehyung puts his arm over Prince Jungkook.

 

The young prince sighs. He doesn't think he would be able to see Jin tonight like they had planned.

 

~~

 

Prince Jungkook sat at the table next to Prince Taehyung's seat. The king and queen sat at each end of the table as they wait for two people. Prince Taehyung and Prince Seokjin.

 

Seokjin would sit across Prince Taehyung and the seat across from Prince Jungkook would be empty. While they waited, Jungkook started to daydream again. This time, he thought about how nice it'd be if Jin is sitting across from him, enjoying the dinner. He could already imagine him in delight because of how delicious the food was.

 

But the happy imagination drifted when Prince Jungkook thought about how he didn't get a chance to tell Jin that their meeting had been cancelled.

 

Because they only meet once a day, Jungkook could not tell Jin to not wait for him. He felt guilty at the sight of Jin waiting for hours in the night, shivering from the chilly night.

 

"Seokjin, this is my brother," Jungkook hears Taehyung speaking in the room and sits up.

 

"Jungkook, meet Prince Seokjin," Prince Taehyung said. Prince Jungkook puts on a polite face and lifted his head to see....

 

Jin??!!!

 

Prince Seokjin had a shocked face that mirrored Prince Jungkook's.

 

"Is there a problem?" the king asked after a brief moment of silence. Prince Taehyung looked back and forth between the two.

 

"N-no, your majesty," Prince Seokjin bows quickly than he normally does, "It's nice to meet you, Prince Jungkook." Taehyung pulls out his chair for him then took his sit across from Seokjin. Jungkook could only stare at him in disbelief.

 

"It is a pleasure to meet you too, great prince of Solia," the young prince smiled charmingly. His parents and brother were satisfied by his manners. Seokjin couldn't look at him in the eye.

 

Throughout dinner, Prince Jungkook kept his smile on. He'd ask Prince Seokjin what his interests were and how his childhood was like.

 

Seokjin would answer and Jungkook would act like it's the first time he had ever talked to him. He already knew everything Prince Seokjin told him because... his Jin had said the same thing.

 

He found it funny; all this time he had been lied to. But he himself had also lied. How could he never encounter Prince Seokjin in the castle before but had talk to Jin every single day? He laughs bitterly inside.

 

Behind the smile, Prince Jungkook's heart cracks. He thought over and over, 'Why Jin? Why Prince Seokjin? Out of every prince in the world, why must it be you who will marry my brother?'