Chapter 6

More Than A Lifetime

Prince Taehyung takes one last look at the mirror before exiting his room, heading down to eat with his family.

 

On the way, he meets Prince Seokjin, who looked back at him with a smile. He walks with him to the dining hall, making small talk here and there.

 

As they sat down in their seats, Prince Jungkook walks in, finally done with his morning lessons. Though Taehyung also has classes, they aren't much compared to the youngest prince. He use to but now that he'd learn most of what he needs to know, the classes lessen.

 

"Good morning," he says to his younger brother, who nods back.

 

Taehyung still hoped that the night the king had reprimanded the young prince didn't hurt him so much. But seeing that Jungkook is perfectly fine, he probably got past the incident.

 

Speaking of Prince Jungkook, Taehyung realizes that he hasn't seen him as much as he use to, the same thing applies to Prince Seokjin too. Maybe they're both busy and Taehyung understands; being princes doesn't mean that they get to laze around all the time.

 

After breakfast, Taehyung has been told to see their doctor. He wanted to show Seokjin some things in the palace but that may have to wait.

 

He walks rhythmically, his shoes clicking on the clean floor with every step. Prince Taehyung tries to remain calm; it's not good if he's nervous.

 

He knocks on the wooden door of the royal doctor's workplace. When a muffled voice tells him to come in, he takes a deep breath before turning the doorknob.

 

"Good greetings, your highness," the doctor stands up to bow respectfully. Taehyung allows him to sit down again before taking a seat himself.

 

"I know you have a lot of things to get to, so I will try to be as quick as possible," the doctor says as he flipped through some papers.

 

"Take your time, doctor. My errands can wait for a while," the prince assured him.

 

So the doctor went over the symptoms that the prince has been experiencing again, "It seems clear to me and everyone here that you have lost consciousness multiple times already, correct?"

 

"Yes," the prince answers truthfully. The most problematic one for him was during the ball. There were so many people; how would they think of this?

 

"And how are you feeling lately? Anxious? Nervous?" the doctor asks, pausing his scribbling to receive an answer.

 

"....Yes," Taehyung whispers. At times, he'd be very nervous. He tries not to show it, afraid that it'll show a weak side to him that'll bring him down as Manerin's future king.

 

The prince answers more questions and soon, the doctor gives him some advice.

 

"I can tell you that if you continue to have no problems or stress, you will have a high chance of getting better. I can't say for sure what this sickness is yet but you're in the early stages which can be stopped," the doctor explains. He walks out into another room only to come back with a bottle.

 

"Take this. Drink it once a day. Be consistent or the medicine won't work," he hands the bottle over to the prince.

 

Prince Taehyung stares at the fragile bottle. He hopes this will work..

 

~~

 

The day went by pretty quickly and before he knew it, it's already getting late. Prince Taehyung was making his way to speak with the king when he heard someone begging.

 

Prince Seokjin.

 

Immediately, the prince's voice made Taehyung rush to see what was wrong. He turned around the corner and saw Hoseok basically dragging Seokjin.

 

"What is this?" Taehyung comes to the two, who are now silent at the sight of him. Hoseok lets go if Seokjin's wrist and Taehyung takes it, examining if it has been injured. Fortunately, there weren't any signs of physical pain.

 

"Seokjin," he pulls the older prince away, whispering, "What is Hoseok doing?" The older prince glances to Hoseok, who stepped to the side to give them space. Taehyung can see that he was fuming.

 

"P-Prince Taehyung, it's nothing!" Seokjin says a bit too loudly, "I just wanted to stay out longer but Hoseok demands that I come inside and sleep."

 

Though Taehyung believed him, it felt a bit strange. He turns to Hoseok, who is still angry, "Hoseok, I appreciate you worrying about Seokjin. You can go now, I will make sure he gets to his chambers."

 

Hoseok huffs, making Taehyung wonder why this made him so angry. All Seokjin did was stay out late, why does that affect Hoseok in such a way?

 

"Yes, your majesty," he said before taking his leave.

 

Prince Taehyung turns back to Seokjin, "Let's get you to your room before my father and mother see you out this late." He brushes the handsome prince's hair before taking his soft hand, leading him to his chambers.

 

~~

 

Every now and then, Taehyung would go to the doctor for a checkup and it seems that he'd be back to normal at this pace.

 

Feeling already cheerful, Taehyung feels even more content when he finds out that he has the rest of the day to himself. He wants to spend that time with Seokjin.

 

"Seokjin!" he calls when he got to the said prince's bedroom. He opens the door cautiously and saw that it's empty.

 

Determined to find the prince, Taehyung searches for him.

 

"Seokjin? Excuse me, have you seen Prince Seokjin anywhere?" he asks many workers, maids, and butlers. None of them saw the prince until a knight pointed out that he saw Prince Seokjin walking near the library.

 

"Seokjin?"

 

He enters the library. The librarian isn't in the library. Still, Seokjin might still be around.

 

"Seokjin? Are you in here?"

 

Taehyung walks more into the library. As he neared the bookshelves, he spots something.

 

A small part of Seokjin's shoulder peeks out from behind a bookshelf. Taehyung thinks that the prince is playing around, so he walks closer with a fun smirk. He was going to tell Seokjin that he knows where he's hiding but something else stops him.

 

Raven hair.

 

Taehyung comes to a dead stop, recognizing the hair.

 

What is Jungkook doing with Seokjin? Why are they hiding?

 

He quietly leans forward just a teeny bit but the sight made him feel sick.

 

Prince Taehyung couldn't see the whole thing but it's obvious that Jungkook is hugging the other prince tightly, not in a way friends or family would do. But like lovers.

 

He didn't know what to do. Should he tell them that he sees them? Accuse them of lying to him? What if they aren't romantically attracted to each other at all? Maybe he's just overthinking.

 

Instead, the prince just walked away, slowly until he exits the library. He stands next to the doorway, trying to process what he saw. Was his brother and fiancé just kidding around? Just then, he hears talking.

 

"Is he gone?"

 

Seokjin's voice.

 

"Yes, he's gone."

 

Jungkook's voice.

 

~~

 

Prince Taehyung is delighted when he'll be taking Seokjin to the White Silk Hills. He's completely in love with the idea but the feeling drops a bit when the queen suggests that Prince Jungkook goes with them.

 

He feels bad for feeling a bit bitter towards his younger brother but is trying to have an open mind. Maybe Jungkook and Seokjin are just very close friends. Yes, that has to be it.

 

Besides, he has Seokjin in the carriage with him, away from everyone else.

 

He sweet talks to him, using his softest voice because he knows that it's what Seokjin likes best. Taehyung grins when the prince blushes a light shade of pink at his words.

 

"Prince Taehyung-"

 

"Please just call me Taehyung," the future king cuts him off, "You do not have to be so formal."

 

"Taehyung..." Seokjin tries it out, still getting use to it. Prince Taehyung laughs at Prince Seokjin's shyness.

 

Throughout the ride, Seokjin tells him about his kingdom, the most beautiful places he misses, and his family. Taehyung enjoyed getting to know the other prince more than before.

 

His eyes were practically glued to Seokjin, watching his lips move as words spill out and his hands that would describe a place or other things. Taehyung's favorite is when Seokjin micmicks his favorite fish. His plump lips were puckered, eyes big and cheeks puffed. It is the cutest thing Taehyung has seen.

 

When they arrived at the hills, the tents were set up and by the time everyone finished, everyone was tired. Wanting to get better as fast as possible, Taehyung went to bed first.

 

"Are you tired?" Seokjin sits beside him. Taehyung takes his hand; it makes him feel comfortable.

 

"I am. Would you mind staying by me until I fall asleep?" he asks. Even though they share the same tent, Prince Seokjin's bed is separated from Taehyung's.

 

Seokjin didn't mind and held his hand until he feels more drowsy.

 

See? Seokjin loves him. There's absolutely nothing between him and Prince Jungkook.

 

~~

 

A gust of cold wind blew into the tent, waking up Taehyung. He's probably asleep for only an hour or so. When the prince looked at Seokjin's bed, he sees that Seokjin isn't in it.

 

He sits up suddenly, already worried about Seokjin being somewhere else without him knowing. The tent was slightly open, allowing the wind to continue blowing inside.

 

After putting on a second layer of warm clothes, Prince Taehyung leaves his tent. The knights guarding the place asks where the prince was going and asked to keep him guarded but Taehyung dismisses them, saying that he's just going to go for a walk.

 

They're already so tired and Taehyung doesn't want to bother them with searching for Seokjin. He walks down and up a few hills until he goes into a clan of trees. Looking back, he can still see the group of tents on top of the biggest hill.

 

It's chillier than before but Prince Taehyung is only focused on finding Seokjin. He hears what sounded like laughter in the distance.

 

It took him a couple of minutes to reach the voices and as he walked, it starts to snow. He smiles as he looks up; Seokjin would love this.

 

Prince Taehyung comes closer in the direction of the voices and when he's close enough but far away, he suddenly jumps behind a tree.

 

What is Jungkook doing here with Seokjin?

 

Before he had hid behind the tree, Taehyung saw Seokjin's hands by Jungkook's face as the younger one tried to warm up the older prince's hands.

 

Ready to look at the pair again, Taehyung looks out from behind the tree, snow landing softly on his clothes.

 

Jungkook and Seokjin were kissing.

 

Prince Taehyung had to cover his mouth, pressing his hand hard on top of his lips. He goes behind the tree again, shaking. He's not sure if it's the coldness finally taking its toll on his body or if it's the shock of seeing his future husband with his brother.

 

The prince knows what he saw. He doesn't need to look a second time; he won't be able to bear it. But... but why? How?

 

Sliding down to the ground, slightly covered with fresh snow, Taehyung sobs silently, hand still over his mouth, preventing any sounds from escaping. The tears sting his cheeks, colder than snow and ice.

 

His heart. It hurts as Taehyung trembles. All this time... his heart had thought that Seokjin loves him. The truth crushed Taehyung so hard that he felt like suffocating. He wants to suffocate.

 

It's a better choice than seeing the person he loves with another person anyway. Not just any person, but his own brother of all people.

 

Taehyung's face, eyes and lips, were almost lifeless as he stares at the sky with soulless orbs.

 

The beautiful snow doesn't help him. It mocks him as it continues to create a loving memory for Seokjin and Jungkook.

 

Prince Taehyung's sight grows darker and darker until he can't see anything else.

 

~~

 

Jungkook opens his eyes instantly, not feeling the need to stretch it yawn to wake himself up. The "dream" he had is enough to do that.

 

It's Friday and instead of getting up to get ready for school like he usually does, Jungkook just stayed on his side in bed, unmoving and quiet.

 

His body seems to work on its own because a small tear leaks from one eye.

 

Jungkook had been so excited for last night but now that it's over, he's not sure how to feel about it. He had enjoyed Prince Jungkook's love with Prince Seokjin for so long that he forgot something really important.

 

He forgot about Prince Taehyung's love for Seokjin.

 

The thing about the dream is, Jungkook can feel and see everything Prince Taehyung felt and saw so vividly that he still feels it now, causing him to cry. No wonder Prince Taehyung had been extremely quiet lately. He knew that Jungkook is going to find out about how he felt at the discovery of Prince Seokjin and Prince Jungkook's relationship.

 

It's almost time for school and his mom opens the door.

 

"What? Jungkook! Wake up! Why are you not up yet?!" she pulls up the blinds and fussed over her son.

 

"You even went to sleep early yesterday. Wake up," she stops next to Jungkook's bed, "Jungkook, don't make me say it again."

 

Her hands were on her hips as she watched her son, who didn't move a muscle. Now she grew concerned.

 

"Hey, Jungkook. Are you feeling well?" she turns him so that he's lying on his back, eyes wet. He didn't answer and after a few minutes of checking him, his mom let him stay home instead of going to school.

 

~~

 

After Jimin was done with school, he came to check on Jungkook.

 

"You should be thankful. Whenever I get sick you never visit," Jimin jokes but can see that Jungkook isn't in the mood.

 

Jungkook blinks at Jimin only.

 

"Oh! I just remembered!" Jimin clasps his hands together, "While I was hanging out with Namjoon, I brought you up."

 

The younger boy remained still. Jimin continues, "I told him how interested you are about the Manerin castle and the royal family and guess what?"

 

Jungkook lifts his head a little which Jimin took as an answer.

 

"He said that he noticed how similar you are to Prince Jungkook, you know, Prince Taehyung's younger brother," he bites his lip, thinking back to what Namjoon had said, "He said that he has an idea for the museum's next opening. I forgot when it is.."

 

Jimin tried to remember when the event is but ends up failing, "Anyway, he would like you to contact him."

 

Jungkook mumbles, "Okay."

 

Before Jimin has to leave, he places Namjoon's card on his desk.

 

As night slowly arrived, Jungkook isn't sure if he'd want to fall asleep this time. I mean, yes he wants to know the story, but feeling what Prince Taehyung felt, it made him feel guilty for enjoying the fun Princes Jungkook and Seokjin had.

 

But it isn't like he had a choice to sleep or not. Though dreaming is less troublesome, Jungkook prefers going to the museum instead.

 

~~

 

Just as the sun rose, everyone starts to get up, bundled up in thick, warm clothes. They marveled at the wondrous sight.

 

Prince Taehyung stood between Seokjin and Prince Jungkook as they all watched the large sheets of snow glitter from the sun's light. It looked like white silk had swept over the hills.

 

"Amazing," Prince Seokjin says breathlessly. Taehyung smiles at him.

 

"Why don't you be the first to walk through the snow? It's pretty deep, meaning more fun," Taehyung nods at the hills, completely blanketed with white. Seokjin nods excitedly before running off, speeding down the hill. Other people joined after him.

 

Soon, Taehyung and Jungkook were the only people in the same spot.

 

"Jungkook," Taehyung turns to the younger prince, "Yesterday night, did you, by any chance, know if anyone was roaming around in the trees over there?" He points at the bottom of one hill.

 

Prince Taehyung noticed how Jungkook's face looked alarmed for a second.

 

"I-I, don't think anyone would be wandering there at such a late time," Jungkook clears his throat.

 

"Is that so? I heard that one of the knights heard laughter while being down there," Taehyung lies.

 

Jungkook's face tenses up but Taehyung adds, "He didn't find anyone so I guess it was nothing."

 

Prince Taehyung could see Jungkook slump a little in relief. But Taehyung casts his eyes down, still a bit numb from what he saw yesterday.

 

"Aren't you going to join the rest?" he fakes a smile. Behind the smile was a broken heart, filled with betrayal.

 

Jungkook thinks for a bit, like he's tempted to go but also wants to stay.

 

In the end, Taehyung urged him to go.

 

He's left alone on the empty hill of the White Silk Hills.

 

~~

 

"Prince Taehyung, have you been taking the medicine like I've told you?" the doctor asks. The prince had another checkup today.

 

"No. I must have forgotten," Taehyung answers. With Seokjin and Jungkook clouding his mind lately, it's been hard for him to focus.

 

"Your highness, please do remember. Your sickness is something I've never encountered before. I have heard of it but do not know so much," the doctor folds his hands, "I asked the king to send another doctor from Solia to help me."

 

Taehyung shakes his head slowly, not believing this. "I feel tired," he says.

 

The doctor lets him leave shortly after, giving him another bottle of medicine in case he lost his first one.

 

As Prince Taehyung walks down the corridors, he hears the sound of a bamboo flute in the distance. He goes outside and can see that Mr. Min is having Jungkook practice his flute.

 

Taehyung is so absorbed that the glass bottle accidentally slips out of his hand, crashing onto the floor and shattering.

 

A maid comes over quickly to clean it up as Taehyung apologizes for not paying attention.

 

It's okay, he still has his first bottle somewhere.

 

~~

 

Because he now knows about Seokjin and Jungkook, dinner had been terrible for Taehyung.

 

He never noticed this before, but now that he's now aware of the two, he can see how Jungkook would stare at Seokjin endlessly while Seokjin gets shy under the zealous eyes on him.

 

To make matters worse, he hears slight movements under the table and when he peeks down without anyone noticing, he can see Jungkook's leg spread outwards in Seokjin's direction. Seokjin must have kicked back because Jungkook's knee hits the table, quiet enough to get away from trouble from the king and queen but loud enough for Taehyung to hear.

 

It irritated him that they're playing around like children even in front of the king and queen. And him!

 

He excused himself early, lying that he needed to finish some things. Once he's out of the dining hall, his calmness bursts and he nearly stomps the whole way to his bedroom.

 

Taehyung locks the door to his room and sees the bottle of medicine on his desk. Angry burned in his chest as he grabs the bottle, hand on the cork.

 

The cork wouldn't budge, making Prince Taehyung growl in frustration. He throws the bottle at the wall, breaking that bottle too.

 

It's alright. He can always get more from his doctor.

 

For now, he needs to breathe. He goes out on his balcony, getting some fresh air. Then it hits him.

 

He's not acting like himself.

 

The thought scares him and he promises to remember to drink the medicine tomorrow. Then he went to sleep an hour early to get rid of his thoughts. Peace is all he needs and sleep may help him with that.

 

But it did not.

 

The prince is left unbothered as he slept, snoring softly. Taehyung is still fast asleep and comfortable when he suddenly hears someone shout his name.

 

"Taehyung!!"

 

The prince felt hands pull him and woke up with a gasp. But what laid ahead of him made him exclaim in shock.

 

"What are you doing?!!" Yoongi shouts as he pulls Taehyung off of the windowsill of an open window in the hallway. They were on the fourth floor.

 

"Yoongi? W-What am I doing here? Wasn't I in bed?" Prince Taehyung stammers with confusion. What was he doing on the windowsill?

 

"You mean you weren't trying to kill yourself?" Yoongi asks. Taehyung stares at him like he's crazy.

 

"Of course not! I'm just as confused as you are!" Taehyung shakes his head, "I really do not know how I ended up here."

 

It was early morning and Taehyung is lucky that Yoongi always wake up early. He had to in order to prepare for Prince Jungkook's morning lessons.

 

What would've happened if Yoongi didn't catch him? That thought also scared the prince.

 

"Prince? Do you need to visit the doctor? Prince Taehyung?" Yoongi's voice fades as Taehyung's breathing starts to quicken.

 

His legs feel wobbly and he tries to hold onto Yoongi before he falls but...

 

~~

 

"Woah!" Jungkook yells as he falls off his bed. He grunts as he hits the floor, groaning as he rubs his arm.

 

He expected his mom to come in, asking what the loud sound was but no, she isn't even home. It's Saturday, meaning she's off first thing in the morning to buy more groceries for the week.

 

When Jungkook recovers, he checks his phone and the first thing he sees is a text from Jimin.

 

Jimin: If you're up for it, Namjoon has a free day today. Please call him. You won't regret it.

 

Jungkook looks back at the card on his desk. Last night didn't make him feel so disoriented so he's more of himself today.

 

Hmm.. he doesn't have anything important today anyway so meeting Namjoon is something he can do.

 

~~

 

Jungkook is at a small cafe with Namjoon, who's sipping away at his coffee. Apparently, he's going to offer Jungkook a job.

 

"Jimin has told me about your interests in the royal family of Manerin," Namjoon adjusts his glasses, "Since I first saw you, you looked like someone I saw before."

 

Jungkook raises his brow. Didn't they meet the first time he went to the museum?

 

"Then I realized that you look just like Prince Jungkook. You even have the same name," Namjoon leans forward, "It's perfect because our boss wants to do something special for our next opening soon."

 

"I'm not going to be a guide, am I?" Jungkook jokes. But because he had quit his previous part time job, he might be interested in this.

 

"Kind of. We were planning to hire people to act as a member of the royal family, maids, chefs, you know, make the museum look like a castle with people living in it," Namjoon shrugs, "We already have actors notified but Prince Jungkook's role is on hold because..." He gestures for Jungkook to guess the next words.

 

"You want me to be him," Jungkook finishes. Namjoon nods happily, a dimple visible on his cheek.

 

"Yep! Think about it. It's gonna be like the prince has been revived! Isn't that cool?" the excited man knocks his drink over, spilling the coffee inside.

 

He cleans it like he's used to it and continues talking without missing a beat, "You'll be paid pretty well and it won't be forever, just for a few days or a week."

 

Jungkook thinks for a while. "I'm not sure... I can't act and-" he points at his brown hair, "I've got a different hair color."

 

Namjoon piles up the damp napkins, "That's no problem. We can train you a little and dye your hair raven and style it to look exactly like the prince's hair. You're okay with dying your hair, right?"

 

Jungkook nods, "I'll think about it." He's still not sure about it.

 

Namjoon understands, "It's all good. Please do give it some thought and let me know if you're comfortable with the job or not."

 

The young boy thinks, 'Hmm... a job as Prince Jungkook...'

 

~~

 

Because a Jungkook is not grounded anymore (his mom couldn't stand the sight of him looking so sad), he's able to go to the museum again. He had Jimin pick him up and drop him off at the museum, even though it confused him still.

 

"I'm back," Jungkook says when he sees Prince Taehyung looking up at the moon from the hallway of the museum. He stood by a specific window and Jungkook's eyes widen.

 

"No!" he jumps at the spirit but went right through him. There'll be times when he's able to touch Taehyung and times where it'll be like the prince isn't even there.

 

Prince Taehyung picks him up, "Jungkook, why did you do that?"

 

"You, you were going to jump out," the teenager pants out, causing Prince Taehyung to be surprised.

 

"No, I wasn't going to jump out," he tells the younger one calmly but was even more surprised when Jungkook holds his arm tightly.

 

"You were going to before! If Mr. Min wasn't there, you'd be gone!" Jungkook refuses to let go, afraid that the spirit would leave.

 

Prince Taehyung laughs sadly, rubbing his eyes with his free arm, "You are just like my Prince Jungkook."

 

It took a while but Taehyung managed to persuade Jungkook to let go so they can go to Prince Jungkook's room.

 

The spirit is a bit concerned how he's changing Jungkook by confusing him with the present and past. It's not good but he knows for sure that Jungkook would find his way out of the conflict.

 

"Prince Taehyung," Jungkook is back in his normal self and by that, it just means that he's not misunderstanding things like thinking that Taehyung would jump out a window.

 

"I'm sorry," he says and the prince knew what he was talking about.

 

"Don't be. You didn't make any of the actions," Taehyung reminds him. Right, Jungkook remembers that he has no control of anything when he's Prince Jungkook.

 

"Did you like the change?" Prince Taehyung asks to lighten up the air. He's referring to the dreaming.

 

Jungkook scoffs, thinking about the crazy nights he had, even if it was only two nights, thankfully.

 

"No. No more dreaming. Please just take me back the normal way."