Nights in Tokyo -Chaennie

Bliss | BLACKPINK Collection

She saw her in various colors the way others couldn't. 

She saw her clearly when it was dark and no one else can. 

That's when Chaeyoung realized Jennie glows best at night, under the moonlight.  

----------

"So are you still shutting down my proposition? It's a nice day out." 

 She peaked out through the curtains of her window, seeing the bright sun beaming. She heard a soft chuckle from the other line. 

 "You know my answer already, Chaeng."

 "Why did I even bother asking."  She sighed, with a soft smile on her lips. 

She flopped down on her bed and let the sunlight hit her face. 

"Because you're you. You love being out there." She can imagine Jennie smiling. 

"Sometimes i think you're some supernatural being that's afraid of the sun or the outdoors"

"Maybe i am?" She teased and chaeyoung laughs.

"That's fine. You still can't get rid of me that easy anyway, miss supernatural." 

 Jennie knew she was firm about it, but she's not complaining. It's rather comforting. 

"I'm sure. I'll see you tonight, Chaeyoung." 

"See you tonight."  

Maybe it was their thing. 

When Chaeyoung first met Jennie, it was two months ago in the streets of Tokyo. It was nothing big or romantic like anyone would've thought. It started off when the two of them would bump into each other at a pedestrian crossing, waiting for the pedestrian signal to turn green.

It happened too often that they would smile at each other when they meet while other people are busy catching buses and trains during evening rush hours. 

It's brief but it's the usual. Just smiles and no conversations. 

Just acknowledging each other's presence.  

Chaeyoung didn't see her for a few nights since she was away for awhile. She hadn't thought of the girl within those days. 

 So when she got back and left the office later than usual, Jennie was the only one there that night; no rushing people nor vehicles.  

Jennie smiled at her while both of them stood patiently by the corner of the street, and she smiled back. 

"You were gone for awhile"  

"Oh yeah, I got sent to another city for a few days." Jennie nodded. 

"No one smiled at me when you were away. It was lonely"  

Chaeyoung was surprised and immediately turned to apologize.

"I'm sorry-" Jennie chuckled softly, showing her gummy smile. 

"It's alright. I just missed some company, I guess." 

After that moment, both of them started hanging out whenever they'd meet at the same spot every night.  

"You're late." She said with serious face but Jennie only beamed at her. She leaned on the sidewalk railings like Chaeyoung did. 

"I'm not. I'm right on time and you're just probably too early." 

"I've been wanting to go out all day. Someone just had to be a night person." Chaeyoung mumbled to herself but Jennie heard it clearly.

 

"You waited for me anyway. Let's go, i'll treat you so you'd stop whining."  

"I'm not whining" 

"Hmm? I saw you pout and your voice is tad bit higher, so yes you are." She stayed silent, trying hard not to pout which only made Jennie laugh harder. She started laughing too.  

Who would've thought that a girl so mysterious was fond of unicorns and rainbows? 

Chaeyoung wouldn't have. 

Jennie intimidated her at first, but being the sunshine she is, she was brave enough to make a move. When jennie smiled back the first time, her impressions changed.  

Looking at what Jennie ordered already gives her sugar rush. But the excitement in her eyes and the big smile on her lips gave her a different kind of rush. She snapped a stolen photo, until the girl noticed and posed for her. She tried hard not to shake.  

"Share this with me. I can't finish this alone." Chaeyoung hummed and gave her a knowing look.

"I'm sure you won't. Also, too much sugar gives you tummy ache." 

 "I'm not five, Chaeng" She rolled her eyes.  

"Yeah you're not. You're only four." She said proudly, making Jennie playfully glare at her. She took a bite from the cake.  

It was dark inside the cafe but she saw things clearer. 

How Jennie's face lit up at the little things she admired; 

How she looked at them like they were the most interesting things to her; 

And how she looked at chaeyoung like she was part of the world Jennie was in.  

Leaving the cafe wasn't the end of it yet.  

"Will you take photos of me? Tonight's a good night" 

"It's dark though. The quality might not be good" 

"I don't mind. I just want to remember this night." 

And so she did, focusing on every movement Jennie made like she was watching her in a different light. Jennie moved as if she was one with the wind in that cold night, with the glow that shined from the moon. 

"Sorry, some are a bit blurry..." Jennie shook her head, "Blurry and i like it." 

Blurry but real, and it was beautiful.  

They walked through the quiet streets of Tokyo, away from the busy parts of it. She looked at her while she watched the moon above.

"Why do you like going out at nights?" Jennie turned to her and just stared at her for a while.

"The day is too busy for me to appreciate." Chaeyoung waited for more explanation, studying the girl's face as she spoke.

 "Look around... There's only us and a few people. Few shops are closed and some just opened. It's like the night has its own life separate from day." 

"It could be dangerous to roam around like this." 

"And it wouldn't be at daytime?" She stayed silent and Jennie just smiled softly.  

"I've been out at daytime a lot of times but only a few times at night. There are wonders at night that only few people try to see."  

"I love walking at night to see if the moon would follow me wherever I go. When I was a kid I'd always think to myself, 'Am I following it or is it the one following me'?" Jennie laughed knowing the girl might think of her weirdly.

Chaeyoung smiled, enchanted by the cute and amusing thinking and expressions of the girl.

"Either way, it gives me comfort that I'm not alone out here."

Jennie sighed and started walking looking straight ahead while Chaeyoung followed suit.

"The night you first smiled at me reminded me that despite of the busy streets, it's not that lonely." 

She stared at her and it made sense. She looked up and sighed. 

"Of course it isn't." She draped her arm around her and turned her face to her.  "You got me. Is that alright?"

Jennie turned to her as well with a big smile on her face. She put her arm around Chaeyoung's waist and leaned on her.

"It's more than alright."