Chapter 1

Over it (Over you?)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jennie was late.

 

Jennie was never late, she waas a punctual person by nature and habit, but of course she was late today, it was just her luck. Jennie scowled and slammed on the horn. "Come on, come on" she groaned as she glanced down at her watch for the hundreth time that car ride.

 

Jennie sighed in defeat when she heard her phone ringing from her pocket. She glanced up at the red light and fell into her seat, her shoulders slumping in defeat. "Hello?" she answered with a sigh.

 

"Where the hell are you?"

 

Jennie grimaced and smiled sheepishly, "About that..." she trailed off as she felt herself sink even more into her seat.

 

"You've got to be kidding me" Lisa's icy voice said over the phone line.

 

"Lisa, I'm sorry I swear I-"

 

"Save it. I can't believe you. This is my coworker we're talking about here, the one you begged me to set you up with?" Lisa said, her voice steely and exasperated. "This is also the fourth time that you had to reschedule."

 

Jennie grimaced, she could almost see Lisa's disappointed frown in her mind's eye. "Lisa I'm really sorry. Could you just call her and tell her that I'm just going to be a little late, something came up at the office." Jennie said apologetically.

 

"This is the last time I'm going to cover for you." Lisa said.

 

Jennie blinked owlishly after she heard the phone disconnect. She sighed in frustration and closed her eyes, the beginnings of a headache making her day so much better.

 

I swear to God

 

She frowned and slammed on her horn for the last time before pulling out of her lane and parking on the side of the road. Jennie turned off her engine and dropped her head on the steering wheel with a bang. She took deep calming breaths, her chest rising and falling with every breath that she took. She wasn't sure how long she stayed like that, her head laying on her steering wheel, but she was broken out of her trance when she heard a knock coming from her side window.

 

Great. Just great.

 

Jennie lazily turned her head to her window, a scowl already fixed on her face, expecting for there to be a giant crack from were some smart alack kids had decided to throw rocks at her window. Instead, however, Jennie came face to face with a smiling lady who signaled for her to role her window down. Jennie regarded her for a long time, not caring how the lady began to shift uncomfortably outside of her window.

 

What the-?

 

Right when the lady appeared to realize how odd the situation must be and was finally beginning to turn around, Jennie rolled down her window and leveled the lady with a look of indifference.

 

"How may I help you?" Jennie droned apathetically, her eyebrow already beginning to raise condecendingly.

 

"Well," the lady began,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter