Soah; Realization

An Unlikely Pair
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

It would be an understatement to say that the car ride was an awkward one. I didn’t know what to say to Jaebum, and he was silent throughout the entire journey too. The car ride took around an hour but honestly it felt like an eternity.

 

I watched as Jaebum’s aforementioned mansion came into view. It felt as though I was no longer in Korea but on an unknown island. One could tell at first sight that Jaebum was a minimalist person. All the ornaments and sculptures decorating his front porch and lawn were in black or white, the only thing that stood out was the large expanse of lush green grass.

 

I was so engrossed in taking in everything that I didn’t realize that Jaebum was already at my side of the door, opening it for me. I stepped out, muttering a ‘thank you’ softly.

 

“Henry will take your bag from you.” Jaebum gestured towards a slim guy dressed in a cocktail suit standing a foot away from me, who bowed as he took over my duffel bag from me.

 

I followed Jaebum as he made his way into his mansion and we were greeted by two rows of maids, who were lined up neatly, the moment we entered. I bowed back awkwardly, clearly feeling out of place.

 

I trailed behind Jaebum as he made his way up the stairs, my eyes were darting around from places to places and my palms were getting sweaty. Everything in here made me feel so small. I was never ashamed that I belonged to the third-class, but this feeling was slowly taking root in my mind and taking over me.

 

Jaebum came to a sudden stop in front of a door and I was inches away from bumping into his back. I clasped my hand in front of me nervously and opted to stare at the wall behind Jaebum instead of him.

 

“This will be your room, for now.” I followed his hand where it gestured to a white door with a silver frosted rose ornament hanging on the door. Nodding, I said, “Thank you.”

 

“Soah,” I could feel his eyes on me. I glanced up to meet his eyes since it was rude if I continued looking elsewhere.

 

I couldn’t tell what he was feeling. His eyes seemed so distant, but it felt kind at the same time. “Yes?” He brushed a hand through his ash grey hair, messing his perfectly styled hair up.

 

“Make yourself at home.” He said softly before walking off. I watched as he retreated into another room just a door down from mine and I recalled standing there for a good few minutes before heading into the room.

 

 

I laid on the velvety soft mattress that night, staring up at the ceiling. The room was so huge that it was around the size of my living room and kitchen combined. I wondered how my Mum was doing.

 

I stretched my hand out towards the bedside table, grabbing my phone. Hesitating, I held my phone close to my chest.

 

Bits and pieces of my childhood memories started flashing through my mind. I squeezed my eyes tight, now wasn’t the right time for me to revisit these memories. Unknowingly, I dozed off, falling into deep sleep.

 

¨¨¨¨

 

 

I was on my way to the kitchen after washing up the next morning when I bumped into Jaebum who was leaving for work.

 

“Do you have anything on in the afternoon?” He was in the midst of tying in his tie while walking but paused when he saw me. I shook my head in response.

 

“Would you like to have lunch together?” He asked while his fingers f

Please log in to read the full chapter