My new home

This is our home
Please log in to read the full chapter

He took a one last look at the room, which he used to live in his entire life. What's the use of living here when he doesn't have anyone anymore? Staying here would make him remember what he lost. Every nook and corner of this place reminded him of her. And each time, he would go through the same pain that he felt for the first time when he learned that she had left him alone forever.

His entire life, he had no one except his grandmother. His parents had died from a car crash when he was two and since then his grandmother had taken care of him. She was his grandma, mother, friend and everything.

It's not like he did not have any friends. In fact, he had a lot of friends. But none of them stayed. When he moved from the middle school to the high school, he lost some of them. And when he moved from the high school into the college he lost some more. And not to mention when he graduated from college...Finally everyone left leaving him with just one friend who was with him throughout his entire life - his grandma.

He knew how hard it was for her to raise him with just the money that she got from her vegetable store. Despite all the hardships, she never let him miss anything in his life. Thanks to that, now he is a successful software engineer at one of the leading companies in the country at such a young age.

He wanted to give her a luxury life as a little pay off for what she had done for him. But she was against his idea of buying a new house saying that this place held memories of his grandfather which gives her the strength to live on. He had not seen his grandfather as he was already dead before he was born. So back then he was angry with his grandma for not letting go.

But now he understands. When this place holds the memories of his grandmother, he too couldn't put his heart to sell it. Let alone he couldn't put his heart to move a single object.

Sometimes he could hear her calling him Woohyun-yh, and he even finds himself automatically answering. Sometimes, he sees her working in the kitchen. And there were even times when he accidentally calls her to realize that he would never get an answer. If he keeps that up, he knew he would go insane. That's why he decided to leave everything the way they are and move out. He accepted the offer of his company to work in a different branch, starting tomorrow.

He has a flight to catch so he needs to hurry. Looking around for one last time, he walked out of the house and locked the door behind. Then he went to his grandma's grave to say his goodbyes.

I miss you so much was all he managed to say. Afterwards, the tears told the rest of what he wanted to tell.

Though he had lots of occasions in his life where he should cry, he never did. He didn't cry when he was pushed by one of the school kids and broke his leg. He didn't cry when he won the quiz competition and the school gave the price to one of the sponsors' son. He didn't cry when some of his collage kids beat the hell out of him thinking he had stolen some of their money when he never did. He could keep on with the list forever. Despite of all the unfairness and bitterness in his life, he stood tall and never gave up. But now, he can't stop his tears. He felt lost and more than anything he felt alone.

With wobbly legs, he got up knowing that his grandma wouldn't want to see him broken like that. But why? Why her? There are lots of people older than her. There are lots of people sicker than her. Why does it have to be her? That's a question which he never would get an answer.

It was only a week it took for everything to change. She was never sick before. But one day, she told him that she had a stomachache. So he took her to the hospital. But they admitted her saying that they need to do some checkups. Two days later they told him that they suspect of her having a cancer in her stomach. He was devastated after hearing that. But it was just a suspicion. Nothing’s confirmed until the reports come. Even if that was confirmed, he was determined to save her at any cost. It was not like nobody has come out alive from a cancer. But couple of days later even before the reports would come, she died. And her death certificate said that her heart stopped.

Today is the day for the reports to come. He could go and collect them. But what's the use of it when she's not there anymore? So he headed directly to the airport.

He could see lots of people there saying goodbye to their loved ones. And it made him sadder than ever because it reminded him more that he was alone. He never had a proper relationship with anyone. Since he was gay, he was afraid to tell that out loud. He had seen how his society treats people like him. He didn't want to be seen as a disease. So most of the occasions, he acted like he's straight. Though his grandma knew and told him to do what his heart says, he simply couldn't put his fears aside.

While fighting with his tears, he boarded the plane and watched from the glass window until everything down there becomes a blur.

He was so exhausted from handling all the funeral work alone by himself and from all the crying he did for the last few days, he was asleep almost all of the way.

After coming out of the airport, he caught a taxi to his new house arranged by his company.

He rolled the windows down to feel the cold wind against his skin. As the wind hit his face, a shiver ran through his body. It was colder than he thought. But he didn't make an effort to close it. Instead he started humming a song that came to his mind at the moment.

As he looked at the road sign, he knew he'd come closer to his destination - his new home.

This is going to be a new chapter of his life. And he didn't know why, but he had a good feeling about it.

The car stopped in front of a small but a beautiful house. He was drawn to it just as he saw it. He even fell in love with the garden and the swing. He loved how the rooms were spacious and well furnished and also loved the small but elegant kitchen. He always dreamt of having a house with a garden and this place was ideal for him. He was glad that the company rented it for him.

He carried his entire luggage inside - alone. A colleague from his new branch was supposed to come here and show him around. But he's late.

While waiting, he arranged his room and the living room the way he wanted. Then he moved into the kitchen. It took him more than an hour to clean and arrange it. After that he dropped himself to the sofa exhausted. There's another room left to clean but that can wait another day.

He closed his eyes for a second before a loud voice made him jump from his sea

Please log in to read the full chapter