JM/JH - Initium*

Odd Wings: Book of Lynx

It's been almost five days since Jungkook got admitted to the hospital, and it's been four days since they last saw each other. He got a full body scan just the day he visited and shows that his dislocated knee actually need to be treated further. He's in his cast right now but thankfully he does not need surgery just some physiotherapy to make sure that his kneecap does not move around so much and cause further injury. For all that time, Yoongi has been taking care of Jungkook at the hospital and if he has to work, either Jimin or Namjoon would go to stay with Jungkook in case something would happen. Of course, on top of that, no one has hear anything from Jin since that day. Everybody is just praying for his safety and if something must happen, they hope Jin would return safely to them. For all these time, Jimin and Hoseok has been busy as well preparing from Hoseok and Hazel dancing competition. But most of the time Jimin just record and pitch in here and there while he watches over Hoseok in case he need anything. Anything at all.

"차…" suddenly Hazel sits next to Jimin who's busy with his on thoughts. Jimin takes a small piece of paper on Hazel's hand and read it thoroughly. "It's a sign up form for that school you wanted in New York. They're opening a new class internationally for next year, so you still have a lot of time.

"누나… I've said. I don’t want to." Jimin refuse softly while giving the paper back to Hazel.

"I know you're going to say that. You left me with no choice if you refuse."

"Huh? What is that mean?" he ask suspiciously. Hazel fix her position to face Jimin and straighten her back. She puts on her serious face and inhales deeply. Her smile disappear.

"해 안해?" she asks again one more time with a deadly look that makes Jimin heart drop to the floor.

"I won… I'm not… OKAY! I'll try." Jimin finally agree because he couldn’t refuse no more with Hazel showing that expression. He abruptly takes the paper on Hazel hand until the paper is wrinkled a bit. Jimin advert his vision and hide half of his face behind his arm. But he still can see from the corner of his eyes that Hazel is smiling, satisfied that she had won yet again.

"By the way. Have you been working on something secretly with Hoseok?" Hazel ask all of the sudden.

Jimin lift up his head. "No, why?"

Hazel air between her teeth and looks at Hoseok who's dancing, making sure he's not listening. "That's weird. You're not lying right?"
"Why would I be lying? What's going on?" now Jimin is more curious than Hazel.

Hazel is fidgeting by herself and unsure of what to say next, or more likely she's also thinking what is going on. "What about his medicine and counseling or anything at all? Do you guys changed doctor or hospital?"

"Noo. We did not. What's going on?"

"That's weird."

"What is?!"

Hazel lean her head toward Jimin's ear and start to whisper. "Actually, a few days ago I saw him receiving email from some kind of hospital I don’t know about. It seems official, you sure you don’t know? Or does your mom know or your dad?"

"Hospital? What hospital?"

"Ey, I told you I don’t know. That's why I asked you." They're both quiet for awhile. "Should I ask him?"

Jimin does not answer but he purse his lips, unsure what to say about her intention. Before they could think of what to do next, Hoseok already approach them and lay down in front of them. He is laying on his back, panting and drench in sweat after a few hours of practicing his moves for the competition a few months from now.
Jimin and Hazel stare at each other, signaling each other if they should ask Hoseok. Jimin shows a straight face, showing that he doesn’t really want to talk about it. Meanwhile Hazel keeping giving facial expression implying that he wants Jimin to ask. But after getting no respond for a few second Hazel decided to take matter on her own hand. "Hoseok-a. Sit down, I want to ask you something," says Hazel.

Hoseok who has both of his eyes close, peak through one of his eyes still panting, trying to catch his breathes. Hoseok slowly heave his body up and sit properly, "What?" he takes the bottle near him and gulp down the water inside it, feeding on his thirst.

"I saw a paperwork from hospital yesterday, what was it for?" Hazel strongly ask Hoseok with ease. Jimin on the other hand, just throw his gaze someplace else, feeling burden after hearing what Hazel ask. As much as Jimin is actually as curious as Hazel, he prefers to ask him when he's alone.

After hearing the question, Hoseok startled by the question and stutter trying to answer Hazel, "Ah… that. Well, that was… you know. Just… counseling! Yes, that."

"아닌데," Hazel answers firmly. "What? Is it secret?"

"Nohing, it's nothing. Forget it…" Hoseok gets up and avoid the question. He approach the sound system and start playing some song and continue dancing. Jimin and Hazel looks at each other in the eye with confusion. The look that always there whenever Hoseok is trying to do something funny—funny as in, without their consent.

That night, after Jimin and Hoseok parent went to bed right after they had their dinner, they both went to their room right away. Mrs. Park always cooks dinner for everyone and expect every member of the family to be present at the table. She was raise Catholic and although she may not press religion onto both of them, she's a religious person who values blood more than water. Her tenderness always envelopes the house and her sweetness nurture each other to grow better. Jimin and Hoseok share the master bedroom together, their parents think it was better for them to be in the same room together when they were kids, so they could get along with each other. They were enough space at the house for them to have their own bedroom, but as they move to a bigger place when they were in high school, they were actually given a chance to have their own. But by that time, they are already comfortable with each other, and they really wanted their mother or father to have an extra room to use for whatever they like. So in return, they got the mater bedroom.

Hoseok were scribbling things on a piece of paper on his desk, while Jimin is lying on his bed scrolling down his phone screen for the same University homepage he's been daydreaming of enrolling. He picks through the edge of his eyes to see, what Hoseok is doing. Their table is set away from each other across the room, so they still could have a little bit of space to themselves. If they sit, they would face against each other, next to their own bed. Their bed however is set to face each other. The bathroom door is on Hoseok side, meanwhile the exit door is on Jimin side. Their wardrobe is place at the edge of the room, they have particular large one for a guy. Which both filled with a lot of clothing of their choosing. Their mother would give them money to go shopping, or they would got some form Christmas present or their birthday. But Jimin is particularly more interested in fashion rather than Hoseok—he's more a comfortable type of person. He looks at the time on Hoseok desk. It's almost midnight and Hoseok doesn't look like he's going to stop anytime soon. Jimin locks his phone and heave himself up, tip-toeing toward his step-brother, carefully making no noise. As he approached Hoseok, he sneak through his shoulder down to the table to see what Hoseok is writing. He's unsure as the sight of the content are somewhat unfamiliar to his eyes, all he can make sense of is that a bunch of it either real legal document or authorized copy of them. A giant bold title is written on one of the paper "Adoption Legislation" with its crest on the corner of the paper.

"What are you doing?" Jimin couldn't help himself to ask when his eyes dilated trying to make sense more of the writing. Hoseok jumps at the time he hears Jimin voice so near to his ear right from behind. Hoseok got flustered and tries to cover up all the things he's been writing on.

"Ah! You surprised me! Why did you do that? Why are you up anyway?"Hoseok starts to talk gibberish, a lot of question pouring out of his mouth, hoping that Jimin would not ask him anymore question.

"Why? What are you doing?" he asks again one more, dodging Hoseok failed attempt to distracts him.

 

 

A lot of thoughts flying through his mind, right across his memory. Should he lied? Should he tell him the truth? What happened if he tells the truth? Would he tell on him? But what if he would help him instead? What is he actually knows more than he thinks? What if he also lied about knowing too? What should I say now? All of these questions are inevitably appearing on a continuous stream on his mind. While his mind is busy playing trick on his own, Jimin is still staring down at him directly to his frozen and dumbfounded face. Hoseok's jaws drops frozen, eyes shaking, and chocked up breath on his throat. He finally let out a long sighs as he closes his eyes, blinking a couple of times. He lift his hand from the document on his desk that he tries to cover it from Jimin.

"안자 (sit)," says Hoseok letting Jimin to sit on his bed. Jimin sits down on his bed, folding both of his leg up. Hoseok gathers all the things on his desk into one pile and thump it a couple of time on the desk. He turns around with a pile of paper on his hand, and pen on the other, as if he's about to present something. He looks down the papers one more time, hesitating whether he should tell all about it or some. Some, for tonight just some.

"Don’t get surprise. Or worry. Or tell mom and dad. Or tell Hazel. Especially not Hazel."

Jimin nods, understood. So far no reaction yet.

He looks down on his paper one more time before handing it to Jimin. He slowly give it to Jimin and takes his hand away ever slower, treating the file as if it’s a historical artifact that should not be messed with. Jimin receives it to his hand and turn the file to face him so he could read it properly. Hoseok does not say anything until Jimin finish to look through all of the files. Jimin lift up his face to see Hoseok, no different expression so far. Bu he shows the expression of wanting more explanation for what it is on his hand.

"It's adoption paper. My adoption paper." says Hoseok shortly. Jimin once again shows the expression of waiting for more explanation. "I'm trying to find out who my parents are. I mean my biological parents." Hoseok carefully use the word 'biological', does not want Jimin to feel offend if he uses the word 'real'.

Jimin is quite for a while. But he starts to a show a different expression, although it may be insignificant.

"Don't worry, I'm not trying to run away or something. But, I just… have to know, you know?"

"What are you going to do to find out?" finally Jimin speaks up, which caught Hoseok off guard for a second.
"Um, well, I'm not sure yet. But I've got to start somewhere."

"Should I help?" says Jimin—something that Hoseok does not even imagine for a second Jimin would offer him. Hoseok does not answer immediately, instead he blink his eyes couple of time in awe.

"Su…sure." he says, but more of a skeptical question rather than an agreement. Jimin smiles right after Hoseok says that, and he start reading through all the paper more thoroughly and asks detailed question to Hoseok, double-checking everything that he might miss out on his notes. For a moment, Hoseok could not believe that his little step-brother would actually give him a helping hand to find his parents. Jimin knows that Hoseok is not the most stable person to be meddling with these kind of things because it might trigger certain reaction that would jeopardize not just himself but everyone around him. 

 

Jimin and Hoseok work on the things they might need to know and plan their next step until dawn. Hoseok fell asleep first on his desk, right in front of his laptop that is still open and running after extensive research on how to track down adoption, something they both aren't even sure would be successful nor legal to do (they just assume it's legal because they both are over 21 years old). Jimin is stand right next to Hoseok desk, looking out the crack of dawn orange and blue dark blue sky. He reach out the window latch and twist it to unlock. He push the window out letting the cold air inside their room. He tucks in both of his hand to his pants pocket. He suddenly hears vibration coming from his phone that place right on the desk, he reach out with his right hand and turn the screen on. He has been chatting with Jin who has been gone for almost three days without news. He did not expect him to reply so soon, but he did. He opens the chat window and re-read his last message and reply.

 

나: Hoseok-hyung is trying to find his biological parents. I thought I at least need to say to someone, just in case.
진이형: Finally? Okay, just keep me updated.
나: Do you think he'll tell you, or ask for your help?

 

Jimin hits send right after he reads Jin's reply. For some reason, he's not scared or worry. He feels fine, which is concerning. He glance at sleeping Hoseok, who's laying his head on the desk perfectly still. Soft snore could be heard from Hoseok. Then his phone vibrate one more time.

 

진이형: Even if he doesn't... 

 

Jimin scrunch up his eyebrows unsure what he meant by that. But knowing Jin, he could do a lot of things and manipulate many people to get what he wants, so Jimin does not doubt his power even for a second. He replies 'Okay. 부탁해요 (please help)'. 

 

*initium: latin for beginning