TH - You, Again

Odd Wings: Book of Lynx

It's another nice day for Taehyung and his family. That jerk hasn’t been coming around the house for more than 2 day, he's probably out there with some other or gambling or making trouble wherever turn he takes. It'll be good if he didn’t come back because he's not alive anymore, but he knows it's unlikely. Nevertheless, it really is a treat for his family, Mrs. Kim could actually rest at home and do a little baking to satisfy her hobby, Taemi could hang out with her friend and come home whenever she can, and Taehyung certain have less burden on his mind although he could not let his guard down all the way. For once, he's working with something a little less illegal, his boss wanted him to go around the town delivering money and files to his boss affiliates. Since he's working with a rather shady group, of course transferring money would not involve any association with the bank or any other currier service. Every time he makes a stop at each address, he would get extra money too. It's not much, but combine all together it's quite something for someone like Taehyung. He actually manage to buy a second hand rice cooker and TV since the one they had broke because it was thrown for too many time. He was also able to give Taemi a little bit of money so she could spend it to buy something new like clothes or make up or anything that she likes. Days like these should be savior carefully and not waste a single minute. Days like these are the only time that Taehyung could actually smile and shake off all the negativity and hardship at work because he knows he's going back home to his loving family.

"Last delivery," he whisper to himself as he takes the motorcycle turn around the corner. Only last money package left that he has to deliver then he's done for today, and it's not even 10 yet. He's going around the neighborhood since break of dawn until now none stop. He arrives at a shabby neighborhood with 3 stories building of co-joint offices. There are lawyers office, accountant, business, even dentist. He takes out the last package and look at the address on the sealed envelop then quickly go to the designated office. When he reach the right door, he knock on it twice and give them the file then he receive his bonus and leave. Once he step on the pavement again, he breathes in the air and stretch out his back. He can actually smile today with no burden, a smile that he had miss for so many days. Then he remembers that Jungkook is still at the hospital, maybe I should switch with Yoongi-hyung this time? He thinks to himself then grab his phone on the motorcycle storage. He opens the window chat and type in.

 

나: Yoongi-hyung, you're at the hospital right? I'm coming.

 

He shoves his phone back to the storage and close the motorcycle chair until he hears a clicking sound. He puts on his helmet and start the ignition. He hops on and drives away to give back the motorcycle to the owner and walk from their the hospital to visit his beloved brother. He gets off at a nearby bus station and walk to the hospital. Lucky when he arrives near the elevator, one of it opens up and it was empty. He quickly slip through a crowd of people and enter the elevator. He press the number 4 and close the elevator door, but before the door completely close somebody yell asking for the door to be open and Taehyung opens it without thinking. Then a girl in a black cap gets inside with her black backpack on her back, place perfectly nice. The girl press the floor number and turn to Taehyung.

"Thank—oh!"

"Oh!"

Both of them gasp in surprise almost simultaneously. The girl quickly turn her head away, trying to hide it, meanwhile Taehyung point his finger at her and try to see her face clearly.

"It's you! The girl from the store," Taehyung quickly recognize her without  having second thought. Taehyung follows her movement who keeps trying to avert her face from being seen by Taehyung. "It's you right? Hey, it's me! The guy who pays for you the other day. You remember right?"

Still trying to cover her face. "I'm sorry I think you have me confuse with someone else."

"Ey, no way. If that's true you wouldn't be so flustered right now." Taehyung witty answer stops the girl from trying to avoid him. She slowly turn to see Taehyung and put her hands down. Taehyung smiles satisfied by his own answer, and smile even wider when he can see her face.

"What are you doing here? You're not stealing again are you? Because if you steal medicine or medical machine I don’t think I can pay for you this time," again Taehyung is being witty to lighten the mood around the elevator. But before she could answer the door opens and the girl quickly walk fast away from Taehyung. But her attempt of escaping was not successful as Taehyung is faster than her, he grabs her shoulder lightly and walk fast right next to her to catch up.

"저기요, where are you going?" he tries to stop her once again.

"It's not your business," she says with a cold tone.

"I have something to say."

"그래, 말해요! (fine, say it)," she stops this time and face Taehyung face on but still put her guard up high and intense gaze. Taehyung caught off guard and move awkwardly, but once he sees her face head on he notice something. He slowly lift his hand and grab on her cap and pull it away.

"What are you doing?" she protests as she snatch back her cap.

Taehyung giggles. "예쁜애… (you're pretty)," he compliments her out of the blue with a genuine smile on his face, he had to lower his head a bit so his face could be on the same eye level as her.

Upon hearing what taehyung said, the girl face gets hotter and red as red as an apple. She turn her body 90 degree and put on her cap again. She froze for a while then continue to walk quickly in urgent.

"저기요, where are you going?" Taehyung follows her again one more time but this time he takes a slower step than her so he could remain behind her. He notice the girl has a few keychain on her backpack one of them written something.

"Nam Da-Eun? Daeun-ssi!" he yells to the girl then she startled and stops once again. "It's Daeun, huh? Your name is Daeun?" he's now right beside her again, shoving his hand on his jeans pocket.

Daeun turn to face him slowly. "How do you know my name?"

"Well… you know, just… I know."

"What?" unsatisfied with the answer, Daeun face Taehyung one more time, this time with even more confident. "아주씨, what is it that you want? A 'thank you' for helping me? I didn’t need your help."

"Ahjoessi? Waa, I'm hurt. Do I look that old?" Taehyung answers with a little laugh on his tone.  Daeun rolls her eyes and avert her gaze for a while then fold both of her hands on her chest. Taehyung smile one more time and touch his lip with his thumb. He lower his shoulder one more time so he could be the same height as her. "I'm just glad you're okay. I hope you made a good use of the things that I bought for you."

Daeun's body is arch back a little as his face is too close to hers. She blinks a couple of time, taking a better look at this man who's standing in front of her. She realizes… he's not that bad either. She couldn't help it but her cheeks turn red and her face becomes warmer. Before she could explode from embarrassment, Taehyung pull away from her. Daeun cover her face with the back of her hand.

"I hope you're not here because you're sick. Anyway, see you later. I'll be around." Taehyung lift one of his hand to the side of his face, with a smile he then walks off to catch the open elevator at the end of the hall leaving Daeun standing awkwardly in the middle of path walk. When he enters the elevator he waves at her one more time.

"저기요! (excuse me!)," she screams but before he could hear her, the elevator door had closed between them and taking Taehyung away from her. Daeun sighs slowly and tilt her face. Peculiar she thought to herself. "I didn’t even know his name though," she mutters to herself.

*

 

After that unexpected turn of event, Taehyung couldn’t help but to smile uncontrollably inside the elevator. Thank god there were only two people inside with him, and both of them are facing against him. If not, they might actually think that Taehyung is crazy.  His smile does not wear off quickly but gets wider, he touches his lips with his index finger. He decided he's not going back upstairs to see Jungkook just yet, instead he goes down stair to check on something. When the elevator stop at ground floor, Taehyung gets off and walk toward the front desk.

"Excuse, but is there a patient name Nam Daeun being emitted here?" he asks the officer on the front desk, which the lady quickly check on her computer. A couple of clicks here and there, then the record shows.

"There's Daeun here, but it's not Nam Daeun, its Han Daeum," says the lady to Taehyung.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes. Is there something wrong, customer?"

"No, no. Thank you," Taehyung turn away from the desk with a sigh of relief. So she's not here because she's sick right? Then why is she here? Taehyung thought to himself. But before he gets even more speculation, he went upstairs to fulfil the main purpose he came here in the first place. He went to the elevator on more time and press floor number 4 again. He leans to the railing inside the elevator and smile some more.

We'll meet again right?