JH - Where I Start

Odd Wings: Book of Lynx

He stares at the mirror right on front of him as he feels the coldness of water touch his hand. He scrub both of his hand with soap, right after he finish he's business. He look down and see the soap being wash away by water. After he's done, he turn the faucet so the water would stop and slap his face with the remaining water that is still on his hand. He exhales roughly, feeling the cold water on his face really freshen him up. He takes a paper towel right next to him and walk out of the bathroom. The cold wind from the air conditioner makes his face even colder than before—now for sure he's awake. He walks across the hall to (supposedly) Jungkook's room, but he does not yet know that Jungkook has been moved. He takes the escalator to reach the first floor for communal shared room. After he reach the first floor he walks slowly and pay attention to his surrounding, his mom once said to him that the most emotional person in this universe is at a hospital—it is where someone receive good and bad news, happy beginning and sad endings, betrayal, and other more emotions. Little kids running around the floor with his nurse and fellow patients, trying to make the best out of their time. Husband and wife who's just got news that their expecting. New family being born as their first child come to the world. Grandparents who sits on the porch enjoying a nice morning in their wheelchair. Speaking of balcony, he looks at his left that he just past a garden on the hospital skywalk—it's too big to be called balcony. He notices a crowd full of people, gathering facing the same direction, caught his attention. He approaches the glass double door and walk out to see what's going on. As the door automatically opens, he hears a sweet voice accompany by melody from a guitar echo on the clear sky. He walks closer to the crowd and try peaking through the sea of people to see who's singing. He's standing at he back of the crowd and see a figure of a girl who’s singing the song that Heseok is currently listening to. He cross his arm and enjoy the music with his eyes closed. He opens his eyes a little bit then notice a young man, older by a few years from Hoseok, is standing right next to him.

"Excuse me, what is this for?" asks Hoseok politely.

The man immediately turn his head to see Hoseok with a smile and answers, "just a charity thing. Sometimes underdog musician would come here and perform to entertain the patients. It's really a nice gesture." Hoseok nods in agreement and turn his head to see the girl again. Long wavy brown oak hair, with wide dark eyes, fair skin, and a small figure is holding a giant guitar as she strung the string according to the melody. Hoseok smiles, he never know that such event exist at a hospital.

"Are you here for a check up?" suddenly the man makes another conversation with Hoseok.

Hoseok startled and divert his attention again. "Oh no, I'm here to visit a friend."

The man hums and nod lightly. "I'm here for my baby girl, she's being born right now."

"Oh, congratulations!" Hoseok congratulate him with a giant small.

The man smile and cross his arm. "Yeah, my wife and I have been waiting years for the phone to ring and finally we're going to bring a home a little girl?"

"네?" Hoseok answer in confussion, not sure if he follows what the man mean by that.

The man looks at Hoseok in an instant, relized what he just said might have been confusing. "Oh! My wife and I are adopting. Yeah…" he nods again and turn his head to the front. "My wife could not get pregnant but we always want to be parents. So that didn’t stop us, we waited for years for the adoption agency to call us with great news. I cant tell you how many failed attempts that we've been through with all the heartbreaks."

Hoseok is silent. Adoption, huh? In a flash Hoseok is reminded with her biological mother. Many years has passed the less and less he could remember about her. Suddenly sadness fills his chest, making him hard to breath.

"Maybe you're too young for this, but children are the best gift anyone could ever asked for and I know that girl and the girl's mom would be happy that she's going to live in a loving house with us." the man shows his genuine and sincere smile, his eyes sparkle with full of hope. Hoseok pays attention to this man face and wonder if his mom ever felt the same way as the man. He exhales try to push away that thought. Then the man phone's vibrates and he picks it up right away.

"Yes? Yes… really? Right now? Okay! I'm coming," he ends the phone call and looks at Hoseok. "My daughter just born… would you… want to come with me?"

"Me?" Hoseok widens his eyes in surprise, unsure what to say.

"Yes, yes, I'll show you the joy that I'm feeling and I would want to share it. You seems a nice young man."

For someone who just met over one conversation exchange, this man is really trusting and overly nice. Being asked to witness his first daughter's birth might seem a little over the top, but his genuine and loving smile makes Hoseok unable to reject. He nods and smile politely although unsure, he follow the man to the elevator to the 7th floor where his family at. As they arrive to the elevator, a number of people welcome and congratulate him for his first daughter and Hoseok is just standing right behind him awkwardly in silence.

"Come on, come." says the man to Hoseok as he invites him to enter the room where the baby is. From outside he could hear the baby's screaming and crying with her little tiny but loud voice. In a flash the whole room and floor is filled with this little baby girl's voice. The man is facing his back toward Hoseok as he enters, then he turn back and Hoseok see a little baby being carried in the man's arm with a chubby red tiny face. Upon seeing that face Hoseok couldn’t help but smile seeing this little girl.

"Young man, please introduce my daughter, Hyun Jin Ae, like her name she is truly a treasure." the man brings her daughter closer to Hoseok and he could help to smile wider.

"Hi, little baby Jin Ae." says Hoseok softly to the baby as he touches the baby's warm cheek. Soon everybody is commenting on how pretty and beautiful she is, and how the man name her with the right one. Around this overwhelming and overflowing happiness, Hoseok stand awkwardly in the middle of a stranger's family. He can only nod and smile to their polite comment. The next minute, the whole family move out of the room to follow the baby girl that is being brought by the nurse to the baby room for further inspection. Without he knows it, he's left alone in the room with the lady who gave birth to the baby. Unsure what to do, he just stand near the door waiting for the right moment to leave. But before he could think about leaving, he could see the biological mother lying on her hospital bed with a blank stare but eyes full of sadness and teary. Feeling obligate and sorry to the mother, Hoseok slowly approach her and stand next to her.

"Con… congratulation on your daughter. She's really pretty." says Hoseok with a smile, politely, and hand clasp together in front his body. Right after he says that suddenly the woman shed her first tear. Hoseok startled and panic a little, has he said something wrong. "Oh, oo, I'm sorry if I said something wrong."

"You didn’t." the lady answer. Hoseok froze and go back to his previous posture stand like a statue. "I know she's pretty."

Hoseok nods, still thinking what to say next. He takes his seat, and sit next to the lady. "I'm sorry for asking, but are you okay? Is it hurt anywhere?"

"My heart hurts." says the lady out of the blue, making Hoseok feels even more awkward. He scratch his head that's not itchy. "She's going to be okay, right?" the lady asks again.

"네?" Hoseok response, still unsure of who's the question toward to.

"My baby girl that her adopted father just name Jin Ae. She'll be okay right?" the lady turn her head to face Hoseok and now her tears are streaming down her face with no stop.

Panic, Hoseok immediately answer. "Of course! Of course. She's going to grow up to be a beautiful lady in a loving and caring fam—" Hoseok close his mouth, stopping him to finish that sentence. He doesn’t want to say anything that would imply the baby girl would not be happy if she's with this lady.

"She will, wont she?" the lady face the ceiling one more time with tears coming down even more. "She's going to grow up without knowing me. But I cant raise her by myself. I'm doing this for her. She'll know that right?" the lady starts to blur out while sobbing like crazy and her crack voice.

Hoseok reach out for the tissue right on the table and give it to the lady. "I'm a failure. The second she's born, I already given up on her. I'm really not suited to be a mother—"

"Don't say that." Hoseok cuts her off before she gets even deeper. "What you're doing is what's best for her and I would never say that as an act of giving up. But an act of saving."

The lady stops her sob and face Hoseok slowly with a face full of tears. "She may not know it now but she knows that you're doing the best you can. She'll love you for it. Giving her a loving family. No matter where she is, she will know that she's your daughter and not anyone else." Hoseok continues to consult her.

"She will, right?" ask the lady as a rhetorical question.

"Yes, and I'm sure, one of these day she'll be reminded of you and come run—" once again  Hoseok does not finish his sentence. Hoseok stare at the lady, her swollen eyes, pale lips, sweat, tall nose, small lips, make him wonder if his mother were ever look like this when she gave birth to him. He wonder if she feels the same pain that this lady feels when she had to give him up. He looks outside the room from the door, he saw the adoptive family celebrating and congratulating the two couple of their new daughter. The husband and wife look at each other lovingly and give each other a peck before they fall into each other embrace in tears. From that sight alone, Hoseok could tell how much they love each other and he knows that they're going to love that child very much with all their hearts. The view of that couple reminds him of what a great family he has right now and a loving brother. For a moment he knows that he had took his family for granted being too caught up in the past. Hoseok smile and exhales slowly, for whatever reason he knows that his family love and wherever his biological mother is right now he knows that she loves him and did the right thing by giving him to a loving family that he has right now. Hoseok lift his head to see the lady who's still in tears.

"You daughter is lucky to have a mother so brave and so loving that she would give up being with her just for the sake of a better future for her. So selfless that she does not think about herself at all, I admire you. She will be so proud when one day she knows that he mother is a beautiful, strong, loving, and brave lady like yourself. Then she'll be happy that she's bless with 2 loving mother and 2 loving father who would fight with everything they’ve got for her happiness alone. One day she's going to thank you for doing the right thing for her, and you'll be happy too knowing she'll be in care of people who loves you as much as you do," says Hoseok with a calming smile to cheer up the lady.

The lady is silent, tears still running down her face but this time her eyes are glimmering withhope and happiness after hearing what Hoseok said. The lady wipe her tears with the tissue in her hand that's already crumpled up into a bundle. She laughs a little then throw a sincere smile at Hoseok. "Thank you for that. I'm glad she'll going to have a brother like you." says the lady, misunderstood.

"Oh, I'm not…"

"환자님… (patient)" suddenly a nurse walk in with a clipboard and blood pressure monitor to the room. "We're going to take your blood pressure and the doctor will check on your stitches. Your son can wait outside," says the nurse intended for Hoseok as the son.

"Oh he's not my son, but thank you for telling me all those things. You're a nice young man, I'm sure you'll grow up to be a fine man," says the lady as she reaches and squeeze Hoseok's hand.

Hoseok smiles. "Thank you. Then…" Hoseok bows to the lady and the nurse and get himself out. He exhales, glad that he's able to get out from there. He turn to see the lady one more time. His lips form a little smile, finally he let it out after so many years—although it was not for the right person. He continue on his way to the elevator until someone taps him on the shoulder. His body is push back, resulting him almost losing balance because of the sudden stop. After his body gain stability again, he notices that the man earlier who tapped his shoulder to stop him. Joyous smile is still unavoidable for having a new member to his family.

"Thank you, young man. I heard what you said to the lady." says the man caught Hoseok off guard. He did not know that he was eavesdropping. "You must have a great family, please send them my regard."

Heseok brain suddenly stop trying to process what he said. He's quiet for a while then nod his head politely. The man shake his hand once and get himself back to his family. Hoseok still stands there, couldn’t comprehend what happened just now. But it did not stop him to throw his forever dreamy smile that would light up anyone who's lucky enough to be on the receiving end. He breathes slowly and tuck his hands into his jeans pocket. A warm feeling fills in his heart and a cooling air occupy his lungs. His blood rushing more than before as his heart pumps faster. He stares at the family from a far with baffled expression written on his face but with the accompany of happiness. He looks down and once again feels happy that he also have such a loving family that the little girl have. But his smile disappear suddenly as the thought of his mother immediately occupy his mind one more time. Fills every corner of his mind with the question he could never get the answer to--where is she, she is alright, how does she look like, why did she left me, did she not want me, and is she even still alive right now. While Hoseok have all of these thoughts running and circling around his mind, keeping his mind busy from thinking about anything else, he has just arrived at the 4th floor. When the double door opens up, he sees in a flash a figure of someone he seems to recognize. He quickly gets off the elevator and catch up to the person who just passed him by.

"Hyung!" he calls out to the person in front of him, then that person stops and turn his body around to see who called him.

"Oh, you are here. Where were you?" he replies as Hoseok walk right next to him.

"I was witnessing someone gave birth, long story." Hoseok reply with a little laugh, of course Yoongi couldn’t care less  and just nod in agreement. "By the way, I was just downstairs before coming here, and I saw this girl sings for the patients, she has a really nice voice. It's a pretty good thing that the hospital offer." Hoseok continues.

Yoongi just hums in agreement, but does not give any other comment and go back to his phone, making himself busy. A couple of minutes later, Yoongi and Hoseok arrive in front of Jungkook’s room, 407. Yoongi hold the doorknob and slide it to the side to open it. “We’re here,” he says as he enter which followed by Hoseok from the back. There were Jungkook and Jimin inside talking amongst themselves which they stopped to greet Hoseok and Yoongi as they entered the room. Both of them greet Hoseok and Yoongi with an excited face as Jungkook has not seen Hoseok in a long time, same goes with Jimin to Yoongi (although they met briefly just now). Hoseok quickly approach Jungkook's bed and stand right next to him then greet him with a friendly high five.

"Aigoo, uri Jungkook-i. You must be hurt," says Hosoeok to Jungkook with a goofy smile as always.

"You came, Hyung," Jungkook respond.

"Of course. What do you think?" they both giggle, missing these moments where they talk to each other not just throught the screen but actually in a same room, exchanging conversation with their own actual voice. Hoseok inspect Jungkook's wounds and tease with it several times by lightly poking at it which Jungkook's react with moans to show he's in pain. Then Hoseok notice a wheelchair is placed right next to Jungkook's bed that makes him curious.

"Wait, why is there a wheelchair? What happened to your legs?" he asks in a tone of worry.

Jungkook turn his gaze to see the wheelchair that Hoseok meant. "Oh, that. Don't worry I can walk, but for the mean time, since my legs are hurt I cant really walk properly so I have to use that to get around. I just need to practice again then I'll walk as soon as I healed." he explains.

"Oh, I see. Well dont push yourself too hard. Get well slowly."

Jungkook smile and nod.

"By the way, where's Jin-Hyung? Is he coming?" Jimin asks. Suddenly Jongkook, Hoseok, and Yoongi's gaze turn to Jimin and quietly lower their head as they don't know where he is. But the one thing that made them worry, which they all probably think the same, is that Jin is going through something big that may cause him to suddenly disappear. Something that none of them know what is going on—maybe expect for one person.

"Dunno, but one thing for sure, he's coming here to cheer on our maknae right?" Yoongi respond and approach forward getting closer to Jungkook's leg and tap on them a couple of time with little care. Jungkook whimpers because of Yoongi and hold his leg with both of his arm. He yell at Yoongi for causing him pain while Jimin is just laughing seeing his hyung teasing their maknae. Hosoeok joins the laughter and observe on the side, not taking any further action that would cause Jungkook harm. A genuine small and happiness is written all over his face, once again being thankful although something bad happen his brothers could still draw a smile carelessly to each other and be playful with other as well. He hugs his own body and slowly his wide smile fades into a small half-small. He's quite and his eyes becomes empty, he looks forward blankly. He made up his mind on something.

Mom, I'll come find you.

 

Writer's note: How do you like the story so far? Give your comment below and don't forget to subscribe. I'm waiting for your input, critics and comment for a better story :3