TH - I Have To Survive

Odd Wings: Book of Lynx

"Here a bonus for a job well done." middle age man, dress in black parka, warn out jeans, and black shoes, hands him his money after yet another job that he had to do to help his family. Taehyung receive a bundle of money with a small bow to show respect. After the money is handed to Taehyung, the man turn around and disappear into a corner. Taehyung do a little count on the money he just received, he got an extra 30,000 won enough for a little pampering for him and his little sister. Maybe ice cream, and for once he can buy breakfast before going back home and pick up his sister at Namjoon's. He shoves his money to his wallet and put it at the back pocket. He walks to the main road, see his right and left, stores are just about to open. He takes out his phone to check the time, it's 6.37 in the morning. His work tonight ran a little longer than expected. He check the group chat to see if there's any update on Jungkook.

 

지민: Heol~ what happened?
남준형: Is he okay?
윤기형: Don't worry. He's okay. About to get MRI soon.
지민: MRI? Why?
윤기형: Later.
지민: Hyung, that's mean. Don't leave us hanging.
호석이형: We should visit tomorrow.

 

He types in his answer.

 

나: I'll come too after I pick up Taemi.

 

Right after he send his reply, his stomach growling. Taehyung hold his stomach, he can feel the gas building up. He takes little run to the convenient store on the corner of the street. As he enter, he can hear the bell ring to alert the staff that a customer (or possible criminal) just walk in. He goes to the one of the aisle and look for ramyeon on one of the shelf. After he finds what he wanted, he take it with him the cashier and pay it from the extra money he just got. He goes to self-serving counter and pour some hot water into the bowl of ramyeon after he takes out the artificial flavoring. He closes the cover to let the water cook the raw noodle. He takes his ramyeon to the table near the front window. After a few minutes of waiting. He takes his first scoop of ramyeon. Then he notice someone appear on the concave mirror right above him. A girl is standing in the middle of the shelfs and shoving things inside her bags while looking right and left. This girl is wearing a black cap, with short hair, jeans vest and pants. Doesn’t take a lot of thinking to know that she's trying to steal from this store. He takes his ramyeon and chug it down to his mouth although its still burning hot, but he manage to finish it in one shot. He throws away the empty paper bowl to the trash bin next to him. He wipes his mouth with his sleeves and approach the girl slowly. The girl is still shoving some items into her black bag. With one sly move, he grabs the backpack from the girl hand and take it to the cashier. As he arrived in front of the cashier he puts the backpack down at the cashier table.

"Please count this," says Taehyung to the cashier operator. As the worker is counting the price of the things inside the girls backpack, he notices that the girl just step out of the convenient store. Taehyung pays attention to the girl in case if she decides to leave but as the girl exists she just standing in front of the convenient store. The machines starts beeping checking out the items inside the backpack. Taehyung look at the items one buy one, toothpaste, snacks, shampoo, facial foam, tissues, milk, banana, bread, and other essential things and nothing to extravagant or out of the ordinary. Soon he realizes what she's stealing all these items for. After the cashier count all the items, he tells Taehyung the total price and Taehyung take out a clump of money. It almost cost all of his extra money with only few left to spare. Taehyung thanks the cashier operator and take the backpack with him outside. As he approach the front door he takes a more detail focus on the girl outside. Nothing odd about her at all, just an ordinary girl with ordinary clothing. When he reaches the door he push it out and step outside the convenient store. He stops right next to the girl with her backpack on his hand. He turn his head to see her.

"If you—" but before Taehyung could finish his sentence the girl already snatched the backpack angrily and walk away without saying anything or even look at Taehyung. Taehyung baffled and stand there frozen with confusion, staring at the back of that girl as she takes her leave. He fixate his eyes on her until she would disappear, as the girl walks away in quite a fast pace she turn back to see Taehyung one time with anger in her face. Taehyung scoffs.

"You're quite something," says Taehyung to himself aloud.

*

Taehyung is now just a few step away from Namjoon's house to pick up Taemi. When he finally arrive at the front door suddenly the door opens up and Taemi came out from the other side.

"Oo! Oppa! You came?" says Taemi fully dressed in her uniform and ready to go, but she's still wearing sandals.

"응. Are you ready to go now? Where's Namjoon?" asks Taehyung.

"He's inside. He just fall asleep 2 hours ago."

"2 hours ago? Why?"

"He's been up all night. I don’t know why." Taemi answers while she holds a plastic bag full of garbage. "I'm going to go down stairs to throw this out first." before hearing Taehyung's reply, Taemi is already taking her steps to go downstairs and leaving Taehyung on the door. Taehyung smiles looking at her sister as cheery as ever although with a bruise on her face from yesterday. Taehyung enters the house and take off his shoes on the front door and just leave it lie around. He approaches the bed and throw himself next to Namjoon, waking him up.

"Hyung, wake up. It's morning already." says Taehyung as he lies on the bed taking his comfortable position. Namjoon does not wake up immediately but moans and writhing his body. "Do you want to come with me to see Jungkook?" instantly after he hears that name, Namjoon opens up both of his eyes straight away with no doubts. He stretch his body and wake himself up slowly. He rubs his face with both of his palm as his eyes trying to adjust to the morning light.

He looks around the room, looking confuse. "Where's Taemi?" he asks.

Taehyung smirk and sits himself up from the bed. "She's taking out the trash," Taehyung answer with a pat on Namjoon's back. Taehyung wakes up and take himself to the table right in the middle of the room. "Don't worry about her too much."

Namjoon wipes his face with one of this palm with a little laugh. He looks at Taehyung, "I think I should be saying that."

"I'm not. She has you. Why would I be worry?" Taehyung sits down on one of the chair as he rest his legs on another, shoving both of his hand into his jacket, with an arrogant smile as a sign of mockery.

Namjoon froze looking at Taehyung's sneer then he scoff. Namjoon knows what Taehyung means by that, but Namjoon brush away Taehyung's response with a smile. He stand up then walk toward the sink right next to the bathroom and wash his face with water. Taehyung is fidgeting.

"It's getting worse, hyung," says Taehyung, positioning his body sits up straight while placing his hand on the table. "I don’t know if I can protect both Taemi and my mom at the same time."

Namjoon takes the towel near him and dry is face off with it. He turns his body slowly to face Taehyung then leans on the sink and cross his hand in front of his chest.

"If you really care about Taemi…" Taehyung stops his words and pays attention to Namjoon's reaction. Namjoon seems to wander in his thought seriously. "I'm just worried about my little sister."

Namjoon looks back at Taehyung and approach him, taking one of the empty seats. "I know." he takes his cigarettes and play with the box in his hand—spin it, twirl it—that’s what he does when he's nervous or in deep serious thought.

"My last option is to run away from the city…"

Namjoon is silent.

"…that means… I'm also taking Taemi—"

"I know." Namjoon cuts Taehyung off while he stares at both of his eyes deeply. "You do what you have to do to save your family. I would do the same thing."

Taehyung is unsure what Namjoon means by that. But he nods in agreement for now. Before the conversation gets carry even further, both of them hears the front door being open and footsteps approaching.

"Guys, I have to go to school. Have you heard from mom?" Taemi approaches both of them to the table and take her backpack that is placed on top of it and start putting her stuff inside.

"Yeah, you can go back home, he's not there," says Taehyung in a heavy exhales, relief that she didn't hear what they were talking about.

"I don’t think I have time to go back home. I'll just go to school now, by myself.

"I can take you," Namjoon response, volunteering.

Taehyung and Taemi divert their gaze to Namjoon simultaneously. "No, it's okay. I'll just be on my way," Taemi answers as place her backpack on her shoulder. Taemi back hug Taehyung's neck and kisses the top of his head and immediately turn to the door and disappear at the back of it. Suddenly the room feels empty again, but Namjoon's eyes are still fixate on the door.

"It's not like you wont see her forever," Taehyung breaks the silence and Namjoon laughs hearing his comment. "Come on, get ready, we should go to the hospital."

"It's still early. We cant visit now."

"We walk there. I'm sure when we get there, it's already time."

"Do you know what happened to Jungkook though?"

"No. But I think I can take a wild guess."

Before they stands up, both of their phones ring at the same time. A message in their group chat just arrived.

 

진이형:  I hope you all come to visit Jungkook today.

 

Right after they both read what Jin wrote, they lower down their phone and look at each other with a concern look. Both of them know, when Jin says something like that in group chat, that means something is about to go down. Although Jin does not say it, and the message seem normal and nothing is unusual, but it's just Jin's way to make everyone not worry about what's going to happen to him. Taehyung and Namjoon take their belongings quickly and hurry run to the front door to catch a bus to the hospital.