JK - Can't You Hear Me?

Odd Wings: Book of Lynx

[ 7.18 p.m ]

Jungkook walks along the sidewalk extending his arm to touch the wall beside him. His other arm is tuck in nicely inside his jacket. With his high ankle teak boots, he just got back from another low paying part time job of many. He had just finish his shift and receive his paycheck, but of course it's not enough. It's never enough. Not even enough to pay the rent for this month, let alone his father's debt that's getting bigger and bigger each day. Thinking about his dad makes Jungkook feels sick, he's tired of always cleaning up after his dads' mess. Always leave his dad in a situation where he has to run away, and come back to where he has to deal with debt collector or the landlord knocking every hour asking for rent. Without him realizing, his feet has brought him home in no time. It's 7.18 now, and all the lights on each room of the apartment has light up, as well as the street light. Roads starts to fill with people coming home from their tiring work and some is about to leave their house to start working. Crying of babies not older than 1 month old can be heard filling the night sky. Dads on their couch, lazing around after indecent work that they had to do to feed their family. Brothers and sister fighting and helping each other can be seen through the window from different rooms. Grandmas sit on their armchair who had been left to die by their husband and has no family left because their children wouldn’t take care of them. All these stories live within this shabby apartment walls.

Jungkook is now standing in front of a door mark 408. Smell that he's familiar with crawling out the doors creak and walls. Faintly he hear the news on the television telling the latest crime that had happened around the city. Murder, , corruptor, liars, cheating husband, such story that Jungkook do not need news to know. He inhales a great amount of air to fill in his lungs. He put his hand on the doorknob and twist it. He pull the door toward him and see a dim light from inside the room. Dirty dishes on the table, clothes on the floor, shoes and sandals everywhere. Jungkook can see the living room where his dad is laying on the floor looking dead. Jungkook close the door and quickly approach his dad.

He immediately feels his impulse, vaguely he can feel it still pumping. He put his finger under his dad nostril than start tapping his dad's cheeks lightly. "Dad? Dad?! Are you alive?" ask Jungkook with heavy voice unlike usual.

Suddenly his dad slap Jungkook right across his face with no hesitation. "What do you want, jerk? Yes, I'm alive!" answer his dad. His droopy eyes, black eye bags, sweating bullets, and nasty breathes shows that he is not on his right mind right now.

Jungkook bite his under lip and touch his own cheek that just got slap by his dad. Trying to repress all his anger, he let out a quick short breath in mockery. He stand up and tuck his hand inside his jacket. "Oh, you're alive, huh?" he answer with no respectable tone whatsoever.

His dad tries to gather his senses back and sit himself up. "Finish work? Did you get money? How much did you get?" asks Dad.

Jungkook throw his face to another direction—knowing what question that will come up after this. "Why?" he face his dad again and ask sarcastically.

"Give me your money," says Dad as he grabs Jungkook legs.

Jungkook does not budge instead he look down on him. "Why? So you can buy more drugs?"

His dad froze. "What I do with the money is none of your business okay, you jerk? You watch that mouth."

"Then why don't you get up and get a job and start earning your own money?"

"What did you say?!"

"I work. I earned the money. So obviously its up to me what I want to do with this money."

"What?!!"

Jungkook jerked his legs so his dad would let go of his grip. He's about to walk away until his dad also follow him and grab his shoulder. He turn Jungkook's body around and grab Jungkook's collar with anger. "You better be careful when you talk to me…" Dad threatens Jungkook with a soft voice and widen eyes. 

Jungkook click his tongue and once again divert his face. He grabs his dads' hands and roughly push it away from him. He turn his body and walk away to his bedroom but once again his dad grabs him by the collar.

"ARE YOU LISTENING, YOU JERK?!?!" this time his dad raise his voice even higher.

"Let me go!!"

"Do you want me to kill you?! You ungrateful kid!"

"What is there to be grateful about you, huh?!"

"WHAT?! Ya, you! Get out of my house! I don’t want you here! GET OUT!" his dad drag him by the collar to the front door.

"LET ME GO!!" Jungkook raise his voice too this time. They stumble over many things and soon the house become a mess. As they reach the door, his dad opens it  with his other hand, shove Jungkook to the door and kick his back until Jungkook hit the railing on the hallway in front the door.

Jungkook moans in pain. He turn his body while grabbing his head. "ARE YOU CRAZY?!?!" Jungkook scream at him with eyes widen and his vain showing as if its about to snap.

"You. Don’t ever come back until you get me my money and LEARN TO RESPECT!" his dad scream at him with his red eyes widen while pointing toward Jungkook then slam the door shut.

"DAMN IT!!!" Jungkook scream in frustration. Trying to repress his emotion so his tears wont burst out. He grab his head especially around the area where his head hit the railing. It's not bleeding but its painful enough to give him headache. His breathes are heavy and short, his heart pumping faster and faster, he can feel the blood that rush in through his veins. He's voice crack as he tries to hold in more of the pain and the agony he feels. He gets up slowly and then kick the front door with his foot to express his anger. He's breathes becoming uncontrollable. He look at to his left and see 3 siblings standing behind an open door staring back at him with terror in their eyes. Jungkook looks at them back and only fear builds up from how he see it. He takes a deep breath to calm him down and try to force a smile. He then turn his body away from the children so they wouldn’t have to be so terrified. Just after a few steps away from his apartment, suddenly he can feel that his stomach growling, all the hardship and pain made him forget about himself entirely. He has not eaten since this morning, he only get to eat a few spoonful of mixed rice that was given from work and a bottle of water. Jungkook takes out his phone and open a chat window with Yoongi.

 

나: Hyung, I'm coming over.
우리형: K.

 

Just like how Yoongi would reply, short and concise. Jungkook shove his phone back to his pocket and run in little step to Yoongi's house. Yoongi's house is a small studio house that used to be a rice warehouse for some businessman, but then they move away and Yoongi got that house with a cheap price from his first producing job. As Jungkook finally got into the main road, he walks on an empty sidewalk noticing that the air is getting colder. Probably winter is coming. He looks at the intersection light and see it changing from red, yellow to green where there's no car whatsoever. He touch the part of his head that was bumped just then and now his thought is forcing him to think about how mad he is at his dad and wishing he would just stop caring about that man. But he knows that its not always as bad as this. He takes out the money that he just got from his work, he counts it—its not enough, when will it be enough? Jungkook sighs and shove his money back to his wallet. As he turn on the corner to an alley, he feels like someone is following him. He tries to hear the footsteps and start to pick up his pace. As he walks faster he can hear the footsteps behind him are getting faster too, from there he knows that he's definitely being followed. He starts to run but before he could run, another men shows up from the side alley and stopped him before he could go far. Jungkook bump to one of them and bounce back. He walks backward placing his back on a wall near by, he looks at all of their faces trying to make sense of who they are. He's quiet, he knows exactly who they are and sighs.

"What do you want?" Jungkook asks.

One of them smile. "You know what we want. Our money."

"I don’t have it."

"Tsk, he doesn’t have it he says," says the other one who holds a baseball bat.

Jungkook roll his eyes and try to walk off but get stalled by them and they push Jungkook back. "What do you want from me?"

"Your ing Dad owes us quite a lot of many. You know those things he enjoys didn’t come for free. It came with a prize and he promises that his son a.k.a… YOU to bring it." says the first one who's probably the leader here.

"If you have a problem with my dad then take it to him. I have nothing to do with his ed up business." once again Jungkook tries to walk off but then got stalled.

All of them laugh softly. "Listen to this kid. You have gut."

Jungkook start to shut his mouth and pay attention to his surrounding, making sure that none of them bring a gun. He starts to plan his next move, with his fiery eyes he lower his head down. One of the gangster start to come to Jungkook by flying a fist across his face, Jungkook dodge it quickly and answer the invitation. He throw his fits back but before he know it another punch was aimed at his stomach and he receives it well. Soon that alley is filled with the sound of them punching and kicking Jungkook. All of these years he's been beaten by his father finally have its silver lining. Suddenly, he feels his neck wrapped tight with 5 fingers. Holding him against the wall until he has to tiptoe—before he could lose all of his breathes, the guy throw Jungkook across the alley as hard as he can until a loud bang could be heard after Jungkook's back made a contact with a metal door. His back aches and his head feels light because lack of oxygen. He coughs multiple time and gasp to make up the lose air. He slowly examine his surrounding one more time while he's taking all the punches, not a second before he sees an opening. He grabs the hand that was about to throw another punch to his face and twist it then throw the man to the ground. An opening! He noticed. He then slip is body out of the crowd and run as fast as he can out from that alley as he approaching to the end of the alley he quickly run to the main road. Before he knows it, two giants light coming from his left side on a great speed, his eyes widen and his pupil dilated. Before he could make another move, he takes his last breath, then the car hit his lower part. He got thrown onto the hood of the car then across the roof and fly to the solid asphalt. His knee made the first contact and the rest of his body follows. As he lays on that solid ground, he started to lose conscious. His eyes get blurry and a second later, he can no longer hold his eyes open. He vaguely see the car drives away with the shrieking noise of the tires. He takes a few short breathes, then closes his eyes and try to listen, wishing someone would help him.