Only You're the One

His Knight
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I’m with you when the lights go down…

Take my hand I’m all yours now…

(Only You’re the One-Lifehouse)


 

 

Sehun was heartless.

 

The Knight had been that way for as long as he could remember. However, Sehun concluded a long time ago that being numb was a necessity to be a great soldier. One who faced death on a daily base shouldn’t have such weak humanities holding him back such as feelings.

 

No, it was better this way. The heart lead to pain more often than not, and it was in a Knight’s best interest to stay clear of disappointments at all costs.

 

Emotions had no place here, not when Sehun had a job to do.

 

When Sehun was first told that he was to be the Knight of the Earth Prince he felt….nothing. Knighthood was the grandest and most respected role a person was no royal lineage could ever dream of. Usually, a Knight was a soldier, who was the best of the best in the military, who proved his loyalty to the Royal Family time and time again. One day, they finally were hand chosen by a Royal family member to be their sword and shield for as long as they should live.

 

Sehun had a different story.

 

He had never even been in the military, never even seen a battleground. That didn’t mean he never killed a person. No, that was a task the Knight could perform in a blink of an eye. No questions asked.

 

Give Sehun a mission and he would surely get it done. Efficiently and as swiftly as possible. Because that was what he was created for.

 

To serve.


His creators, or "parents", were brilliant scientists in the fire kingdom’s royal capital, Flamar. They were not the type of couple that would adopt a child to love and cherish just for the sake of the joys of parenthood. They picked Sehun up off the streets because they needed a subject to experiment on and Sehun needed a place to live. Their relationship had been strictly business.

 

Nothing more.

 

~.~.~.~

 

“Your Highness, after the incident that occurred last week, we think it best to allow more guards to you around. It would make the King and Queen feel more at ease to know their only son is being well protected. Please, consider it.”

 

Jongin rubbed his temple as he let out a tired sigh. Why must the only time he gets a message from his parents it’s something completely bothersome?

 

“You can tell my parents that I have enough guards following me around. It would be a nuisance to have any more.”

 

“But Your Highness, pl-”

 

“It would be wise to accept His Highness’s answer and be gone.” Sehun intervened.

 

The messenger cut his eyes at the Knight standing behind the prince’s desk. His hands were behind his back and his gaze seemed to not really focus on anything.

 

As if the royal messenger was not worth his attention.

 

As if an earth kingdom native was below a filthy fire-breed.

 

How dare a Flamarian speak down to him? Just because, for some unknown reason, the King and Queen felt it best to go outside of Terrika to find a protector for the prince?  Not only that, they made the damned fire-breed a Knight! Disgusting.

 

Even so, the royal messenger bowed his head and bit out a quick, “Yes, My Lord.”

 

The prince winced at the undeniably bitter tone. He also didn’t miss the hatred in the messenger's eyes before the man exited his personal library.

 

That was a common reaction among the people of the castle, no matter their class. Whatever his Knight spoke, the people of Terrika were repulsed by his mere presence.

 

Jongin tried not to blame them. It was how they were taught. It simply how things were.

 

The four kingdoms, Terrika (earth kingdom), Flamar (fire kingdom), Aqualin (water kingdom) and Ventrus (wind kingdom), all kept to themselves. Mixing races and culture didn’t happen very often and was certainly looked down upon in Terrika. The people of Terrika tolerated the water kingdom because it was the most beneficial to the earth kingdom. 

 

When their prince obtained water powers they accepting, some people were even impressed.

 

But fire...

 

Fire was lethal, toxic, and destructive.

 

Everything that described...

 

Jongin looked over at his Knight.

 

Sehun was completely indifferent to hostility he received the moment he arrived in Terrika. He never even batted an eyelash when people were downright vile to him, calling him everything but his name. It was awful for the prince to watch, but he couldn’t stop it. For if he tried to, the Knight would simply remind him of his parent’s vision for him. To rule with an iron fist and not let his emotions get in the way of the way things were and how they should be.

 

It made the prince cringe at how inhuman and uncompassionate his Knight was. No one should be that way.

 

Jongin rose from his chair and went over to his bookcase, gently returning the novel his was reading to its proper place. Sehun didn’t move, not until Jongin turned to look him in the eyes, even then, the Knight simply blinked once.

 

Jongin tried to search those sapphires that Sehun called eyes. The way they sparkled and glistened in the light, one would think the Knight surely had gems for eyes. Surrounding those gems, were thick full lashes that contrasted perfectly with the blue.

 

In short, Sehun was breathtaking.

 

Sehun watched as the prince watched him. He said nothing and unaffectedly stared back at him. He never knew what Jongin hoped to see, but this had become a recurring thing for the two men. Simply staring into each other's eyes, both seeing nothing.

 

It was Jongin that broke eye contact first, as usual. Taking a deep breath, the prince spoke, “I need some air.”

 

Sehun gave a short nod and held out a leading hand, the other still placed nicely behind his back. 

 

“After you, Your Highness.”

 

Jongin shook his head, “You take a break. I’ll be fine.”

 

Unfazed by the request, Sehun spoke in his usual monotone voice, “Negative, Your Highness. As you are aware, my place is at your side. Always.”

 

Jongin’s heart tightened. Why did he have to say those words as if he were talking about the weather? Those words were supposed to mean something. The bond between a Knight and his prince was supposed to be one like no other, sacred.

 

At least, that was what Jongin had always believed. All his books spoke of pure loyalty, understanding, and true friendship between a Knight and a Royal. Ever since he was a kid, Jongin dreamed of the day he picked his Knight. 

 

However, that special moment never came for him. One day, he had returned home from horseback riding with Chanyeol and there Sehun was, beautifully draped head to toe in gold, white, and black. The cape covering his broad shoulders was dark green, with gold stitching, and a large seal branding the ownership of the body wearing it. 

 

Jongin's seal. 


 

Flashback


 

“Oh, Jongin dearie, there you are. We were about to send a scout to retrieve you.” Jongin’s mother, the Queen spoke.

 

Jongin couldn’t take his eyes off the new face. He looked so..fasinating.

 

“Umm...who..?” for some reason Jongin, who was usually good with words, suddenly couldn’t form a complete sentence. 

 

The King and Queen descended from their thrones onto the marble floors. The Queen made her way up to Jongin, whereas the King stopped next to the stranger.

 

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter