Tolerance

Under Her Spell
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Mina gathered her notepad and pen; her two hours 8 am Wednesday class just ended. "Your happiness is literally invading my space," Nayeon said appearing from Mina's back. The quiet girl looked to the bunny toothed girl, “I can't help it," Mina replied while she gave an unstoppable smile.

 

"So, you're telling me that you've been like this since your Monday?" Nayeon pointed out the penguin's chest for indication. To be exact, the two were in the same page even without a proper subject for their conversation. It was just Nayeon assumed that Mina's recovery from the sudden drop of happy vibes — Chaeyoung caused this — and this reborn giddy Mina was also solely because of her baby cub. Mina nodded in agreement as she closed and then strapped her black expensive shoulder bag. The bunny squinted her eyes and held the penguin's right arm, “Let’s go get breakfast," Nayeon said as she gently pulled the other girl. Mina chuckled to the older one's antics, “That wasn't a request, was it?" Mina said as she followed through.

 

Nayeon removed her hand when she was sure that Mina heed her demand. Mina who had no reason to say no but had motives obliged to the older one. If one looked at it, this was the chance for Mina to get to know more about her little crush. Mina watched Nayeon as she contemplated her possible questions about the cub. She then noticed that Nayeon literally just tucked her phone away; seemingly like she just had a phone call. The penguin fasten her pace and walked next to the older one, “Who was that?" Mina said as she leaned to look over the other girl. "Jihyo, she was asking where I'm at right now and I told her we're going to have breakfast. Thus, I invited her, too, because I bet you're making this a chance to get to know Chaeng," Nayeon shrugged nonchalantly to her friend's question. The bunny always seemed to be quick to sense about her surroundings. Mina hummed in understanding then asked, “But what about her class though?" "She said that her professor couldn't make it today. Seemed like God's in her favor," Nayeon sighed as she informed the girl.

 

They walked for about ten more minutes, passing by building and students along the way. When they arrived at the agreed place, they waved at Jihyo who was already present at the place's front door. "Hey, so what's this thing that you got to tell me?" Park Jihyo greeted her two friends upon arriving to her spot. "Let's go sit somewhere first," Nayeon excitingly smiled as she hauled both of her friends inside.

 

The place was not that packed guaranteed that it was only past ten in the morning. "It's a great thing that I also haven’t had breakfast," Jihyo said as a matter of fact while picking a table for three. The three sat to the far right table of the breakfast place. Nayeon and Jihyo sat beside one another while Mina was on their opposite.

 

Jihyo as the most responsible of the three called the attention of the waitress. When the waitress noticed Jihyo, she immediately approached their table and politely handed the menu. Mina pointed the waffles with whipped cream and strawberry slices while Nayeon picked her choice of breakfast and directed herself to the waitress, “I’ll have this banana crepes." Lastly, Jihyo ordered to the still standing waitress, “I’ll have this french toa - your special blueberry pancakes instead," Mina internally facepalmed herself upon hearing the word pancakes. Jihyo handed back the menu, “We’ll all have coffee?" the latter girl asked her companions. Mina nodded to Jihyo's words, “Orange juice for me," Nayeon disagreed. After the orders were finalized, the waitress left to process it inside their kitchen.

 

-------

 

Nayeon told Jihyo about the currently present Mina and Chaeyoung case. She talked about how the penguin was spellcasted and captured by the cub for their first meeting, and how Mina was affected by her feelings. "And Mina here had decided to pursue my baby cub," Nayeon ended her story. Jihyo was a bit shocked because she knew how Mina seemed to be unconcerned with her suitors or even the others. "Wow, for real Myoui?" Jihyo exaggeratedly asked Mina. The penguin bowed her head, both of shyness and agreement. Jihyo was torn between not believing and fully expecting, and there was no in between. Jihyo was torn how she was not believing THE Mina fall victim for Chaeyoung, but at the same time fully expecting because it was Chaeyoung that they were talking about. "I am not sure whether to give my congratulations or my condolences to you," Jihyo said as she shook her head.

 

The waitress returned to their table with their breakfast; ending their conversation atmosphere. The waitress diligently placed their orders and left the three with their food and once again obtained privacy.

 

The moment the waitress left, Mina leaned to intently asked Jihyo, "What do you mean by that, Jihyo?" Her chance to know more about Chaeyoung. Nayeon was already busy with eating her crepes. "Well, I guess it's a good thing you're all excited about this," Jihyo motioned to the thin air as if wiping an invisible surface, “But, you know i,t's Chaeyoung we're talking about here," Jihyo said then took a bite of her pancakes. Nayeon, who was listening, nodded as she chewed. Mina saw Nayeon's agreement, “What do you guys mean?" the penguin frowned. "Like what I told you before. She's really dense," Nayeon greatly emphasized her last word. "People who were really serious to her usually gave up," Nayeon added and took another bite. "She said she wasn't able to feel that specific pull from those people," Jihyo chimed in.

 

"But if those people were really serious don't you guys think they would not have given up on her?" Mina defended. Jihyo looked at Nayeon and Nayeon looked back to her, “She’s really serious about this, isn’t she?" Jihyo asked. "As far as what her I've decided text message and pout indicate," Nayeon replied while she motioned to Mina's elegant face.

 

-------

 

"What I've decided text message?" Jihyo directed the question to the both them. Nayeon looked at Mina, “That’s as far as I know. Myoui Mina, why don't you tell us more," the bunny demandingly pointed to the penguin.

 

Mina rested both of her palms on her lap and tensed her shoulder. "I don't know. It's just that I find her really kind and understanding," Mina said; heart beating fast. She looked down to her hands, “Plus she has this warm comforting character and her smile, her damn smile," she found herself smiling as she remembered the solace in the cub's smile. Mina clenched her hands as she was starting to feel numb with expressing her feelings to her friends, “And she made me feel this feeling," Mina emphasized. "This undiscovered and unfamiliar feeling," Mina said as she raised her head with determine in her eyes. "It may be futile but I want her," Mina expressed — no, Mina declared.

 

"Well, I don't see the reason why we shouldn't help this helpless penguin," Jihyo sweetly smiled at Mina. "Right?" Nayeon happily grinned at Mina. Mina literally felt warm inside from her friends' support. "Sorry if we drop the bumming facts about Chaeyoung," Nayeon said as she waved her hand sideways in front of her face. "No, it's okay you don't have to apologize," Mina replied to the bunny. "At least we now know that you're really serious about her," Jihyo said to lighten the mood. Jihyo carried on, “Don’t you think it'll be amusing to find the baby cub head over heels to someone, Nayeon?" "I know, right? That also has piqued my interest," Nayeon said while still grinning and signalling Mina to go ask her questions.

 

Mina's eyes gleamed to the turn of events, “So is Chaeyoung, you know, straight?" the penguin carefully asked. Jihyo while still munching answered, “She's as straight as a spaghetti noodle held up straight," Jihyo then gestured her hand and moved the tip of her thumb to the side of her forefinger; pretending to be holding an actual spaghetti noodle. "Only the noodle was overcooked," Nayeon high fived a laughing Jihyo.

 

"That was so dramatic," Mina laughed to herself. "She doesn't do relationships but she flirts both ways. It's what the body needs," Nayeon informed the youngest one. Jihyo was sipping her coffee when Mina chimed again, “Guess I got a shot to this, but sometimes Chaeyoung can make me back out to this," Mina said catching the attention of her friends. Jihyo moved her mug away from and asked, “What do you mean?"

 

"Sometimes she's this soft fluff cub then the next minute she's this untamed tiger, and right now I can't handle both. I even made up a possible non-existent pancake allergy," Mina stated averting her eyes from the two.

 

"What?!" the two shot back to the penguin. "Chaeyoung thought that she had done something when I bolted out of the diner where I encountered her," Mina rapidly explained. "And It's just that I couldn't handle her tiger self back in the diner and the soft fluff cub when she was apologizing," the two burst of laughter while hitting the table top with Mina's unbelievable story. "So, you just have to fake a reason and at the same time an allergy?" Nayeon said with slowly easing laughter. "You just have to improve your Chaeyoung tolerance and you'll have a better shot to her, Mina," Jihyo chuckled back to Mina's direction. Mina relaxed and smiled to her supportive friends. Once again, she felt eased with her cub problem.

 

Their joy was interrupted when the waitress approached their table for the third time, "Uhm, you three are starting to disturb the other customers," this waitress said. Nayeon looked around, only to find multiple eyes directed to them. Mina felt a sudden embarrassment; not knowing how many of these customers heard her cub story. Mina, acting on pure instincts, left a tip for the place and dragged her two friends to exit the front door.

 

-------

 

53, Chaeyoung's laptop displayed the number 53. After waiting for almost two hours despite the announced 6 pm sharp, her art professor finally released their grades online. Chaeyoung sighed as her professor kept his words about not tolerating the cub's performance. 53, she finally flunked a project. This flunked grade will now join her barely-passed-it grades, and when the cub said it was barely passed, then it was barely passed. To be more precised, around 60 to 63; no more and no less. The cub decided to stop staring at her grade and turn her laptop off.

 

Through the cub's cute ears, she heard their room's bathroom door unlocked. Jeongyeon emerged from inside with a towel draped over her still wet silver hair. The tall girl walked across the room then faced their mirror on the wall and continued on drying her hair. Chaeyoung spun along with her chair to Jeongyeon's direction, "Jeong, let's drink," the short girl declared. "It's Wednesday, Chaeng," Jeongyeon said while brushing her hair. "So?" Chaeyoung shot back. "Just because we don't have the curfew like Nayeon and Jihyo's dorm, we can just drink our hearts out, cub. We have classes for tomorrow," Jeongyeon explained like it was something so obvious. Chaeyoung now got up to her feet, walked to the tall girl's spot, and hugged her roommate, “So, what? We're the master of our lives. Jeong, let's go," the cub said while dragging the last word. Jeongyeon tried to move the cub away by playfully pushing on her face, “I have a presentation tomorrow, but nice try," the silver haired girl deadpanned. Chaeyoung released the taller girl in defeat.

 

"Yoo Jeongyeon," Chae

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter