Wither and Bloom

Under Her Spell
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Days passed in a slow and torturing manner. Mina and Chaeyoung had learned the art of avoiding each other. Well, it wasn't really hard when the avoidance was mutual for the two, and when works and deadlines were piled up to them. During the first week, the cub passed her work to her professor and actually studied for her upcoming exams while the penguin further distracted herself with her own college responsibilities. As of the university's second wave of hell week, students induced themselves with as much caffeine as they could to increase their survivability — truly a battle needed to be won.

 

The span of that bloody two weeks wound up the students greatly and the timing of the party was a real God's gift to them. October 20th, Jihyo's godly party will commence on the night of the last day of their hell week and will expand until the following morning of Saturday. Everything was perfect since commonly the last day of their hell week only gave out one or two exams, depending on how neglectful students were on their previous semesters. Put a three to five hours of sleep after taking the last exam and added by a short drive to the Park's house were enough of ingredients to bang oneself with unlimited free drinks and unhealthy snacks.

 

Everyone was hyped about it, some were thankful and most were excited. Well, except Son Chaeyoung who was right now busy with making pillow fort on their couch before she started her movie choice. She could do all of those in her room but it was still aesthetically ruined by black blood from that night of realisation. It was in need of thinner to dissolve the thick coats of black paint on her floor but she neglected it for the past days. The cub could've cleaned it but she was beyond of a busy bug for the duty. Both too busy and too lazy to walk away from the university and bought the needed chemical, so their couch will be enough to suffice her planned me time.

 

Tonight, she was alone in their room and in the whole building. Chaeyoung was pretty sure everyone was going to Jihyo's place. Jeongyeon with Dahyun and Tzuyu left their dorm a little early than the other students in the building to help the host to prepare for her party. She settled herself in her fort and was about to begin her movie marathon when she realised something really dumb. The remote control was out of her reach, so she had to get out of her fort before she could actually start her me time. Out of defeat, the cub pulled her frame from her masterpiece and grabbed the wicked item.

 

The movie finally rolled and she stared at their television with passion. A minute later, her phone beep. She reached for it and saw the eagle's contact name on her screen. Dahyun had sent her a photo. She sighed as she tapped over the notification. It was a photo of colourful beverages and was captioned: In charge of these. This is so going to be super fun. The cub blinked her dazed eyes. She could already think the ideas of fun in the eagle's head. Sure, it looked fun but Chaeyoung was set for her me time. Shrugging the idea and the chance of having a wild night with the school meal club, she diverted her eyes back again to the movie.

 

The cub wanted to go but at the same time she didn't. She could say that Jihyo's party was safe for her since Jeongyeon and others will be there to protect her from the advances of the higher years, but she wasn't too sure if Mina will be there. The cub wasn’t too sure if she wanted or was ready to share the same space again with her. She had a success with avoiding her for the last two weeks. Only another year until the penguin graduated, right? Until she could freely roam the campus again. Of course, that was a stupid calculation — she wasn't that good with math — and she couldn't just completely avoid the penguin for the rest of her stay in the university, plus she wasn't really too sure if she wanted this act.

 

She is cofused, a mess to be more precise. For the last two weeks, she spent a lot of time with self-reflection when she was a bit calmer towards the truth. She needed to protect herself but she also wanted to save their friendship. Chaeyoung was torn between keeping her stance on the soft grassy ground and walking that thorny path back to Mina. She was hurt that Mina and her intention were not parallel with one another. She was sad that Mina's crossed and intersected with the line of falling for her. If Mina could only initiate or say a word to mend their growing distance then maybe she could do the rest to save their relationship, but she couldn't. The elegant girl was already in the process of keeping her words just as words, nothing more and nothing less, and she really had no right and power to stop her from that. Mina was the same and she was already in the process of forgetting about Chaeyoung like words she never meant to say, and that pissed the cub the most or so she thought. Sleep didn't help her, so she couldn't forget about Mina — at least for the span of her two weeks.

 

It was weirdly confusing how she felt remorse for the penguin even if she knew about her motive and even if she was the same for her, a decorative prize from the jungle. The penguin gave up on her like the others and how painfully ironic it was for all the times she was there to save the cub in whatever situation she was in, but not for this. Mina loved her and she couldn't achieve her, so she will forget about her. It was a typical routine for Chaeyoung. Mina gave up on her. She gasped as a numbing pain clawed in her heart. Great, her me time turned into something else she didn't want or need right now.

 

Her phone buzzed from her side, saving her from torturing herself any further. Jeongyeon texted her.

 

No Jeong Bro:
You still have time to join us.

 

She read the text message over and over again — weighing the cons and pros before she called the verdict to it. The cub glanced at the movie and she realised how lost she was with it. She had been staring at it for no reason. A complete waste of electricity in this heating world. She looked at the room's wall clock and she was convinced that she really still had time to join them when she hauled a cab outside for herself.

 

The small cub made up her mind. She was going whether the penguin was there or not. Chaeyoung was going there definitely not for Mina. She needed this. Needed to establish that she will not fear the idea of sharing the same space with her or even facing her. Chaeyoung stretched her limbs, destroying her fort along the action, and turned the television off. The girl stacked the pillows on the couch and began to move her feet inside her room.

 

She opened her closet and pulled better clothes for the party. A black and white long sleeve, white oversized jacket, black jeans, and her tiger-printed shoes. She stripped her pyjamas and wore the following before she locked the place down. The cub sprinted down the building as she tapped over the screen of her phone.

 

To: No Jeong Bro
I'll be there.

 

Chaeyoung waved her right hand in the air and she was successful with catching the attention of the first cab driver. She slid inside and told the driver the address. Leaning and relaxing herself inside the cab, she thought she was bound to have fun and to not mope for tonight.

 

-------

 

The Park's residence was a two-storey structure, had a good amount of distance from the other houses, inside was spacious, above average for a family of five, and anything that can break was already boxed inside their storage room. The number of students were slowly pouring inside as the night peaked its hours. Stereos and speakers were set up by Nayeon and its music was already running over the background. Tzuyu was readying beer bottles, cups, and snacks where the visitors could easily acquire it. Dahyun was busy brewing a dangerous mixture of alcohol drinks as she followed a dark and secret solution she stumbled upon over the internet. The coloured drink clearly spelled out death, despair, and danger. A fair warning should be labelled on its container: drink according to your tolerance.

 

"Dahyun," Jihyo called out, hand intertwined with Jeongyeon, "How's Sana and Momo's status?" she asked the busy tofu. Dahyun looked up to the host, "They are still waiting for the perfect time to sneak out of your dorm," she laughed. "I think any students who wanted to go here that are from there," Jeongyeon replied with a chuckle.

 

"Don't worry though," the eagle reassured, "They are going." Jihyo could only smile at the freshman, "I bet she will since this will be your first time to be in my party," she stated. She didn't have the ear to hear Dahyun's reply because the newcomers started to approach her. Jihyo excused herself and let go of Jeongyeon's hand so she could properly entertain them.

 

That didn't last long, though. When the house was crowded enough, Jeongyeon tackled her girlfriend back from behind and walked her out of the circle of unknown faces. In her defence, she was only claiming what was rightfully hers. Now, the two were playfully tackling one another with Jeongyeon leading because of her unfair height difference to Jihyo. In the background, Nayeon was shouting at them to get a room and Tzuyu's loud scoff of disgust for the two.

 

The silver haired girl paused their sweet little battle when her phone buzzed. Chaeyoung had texted her again after her reply to her first text. "Who's that?" Jihyo asked as she continued to bite the taller girl's left shoulder. Jeongyeon tapped her girlfriend's head, "Chaeyoung said she's already walking on her way here," she smiled before she put her phone back inside her pocket. "Mina?" Jihyo questioned as she retracted herself again from the tall one.

 

"What are you doing here?" she worriedly asked. Jihyo briefly looked at Jeongyeon, calling her for help since they thought Mina will sit this year's party. The penguin was usually one of the early comers in her party and was always ready to help her prepare before the event finally kicked in. It wasn’t so surprising if the two deduced that she wasn't going. Mina also doesn't really fancy the idea of being a latecomer in any event.

 

Jihyo asked the question not because she wasn't welcomed. It would be totally fine if only Chaeyoung didn't curve her decision of not going to her party. Mina was already present in her house and Chaeyoung was already on her way. She was just worried that the event could harm the two. It wasn’t really a secret how the two were avoiding each other since the cub already knew about the penguin's true feelings for her.

 

Mina smiled to her friend, "Because it's your party and I can't miss it," she honestly answered. The couple's eyes widened when they witnessed the cub's small frame entered the front door. The penguin was baffled so she followed the focus of the two. There, Chaeyoung was walking and approaching them.

 

Her heart pounded too hard in her chest. It was violently raging inside of her. Chaeyoung looked stunning like always and she found her resolve slowly melting despite the freezing tension in their situation. Chaeyoung glanced at her and their eyes met, but Mina retreated and looked on the floor before she completely diverted herself away from her.

 

-------

 

When Chaeyoung stepped inside the house, it wasn't too hard to locate Jeongyeon. She easily stood out from the crowd, and because she and Jihyo was a meter or two away from the door. The cub happily walked to their spot and noticed a person they were talking to. It wasn’t just someone. It was Mina who looked elegant as always. She was wearing a black v-necked blouse, soft gray coat, denim jeans, and white pair of sneakers.

 

Chaeyoung glanced at her face and the moment their eyes met, Mina looked away. The cub breathed in, her message was clearly received. She breathed in as she tried to swallow the lump in . "Hey," she greeted the couple with a dimpled smile as she raised her right hand. The two was clearly frozen with the tension between her and the penguin. Her hand slowly connected to her nape, "I'll go have fun and look for the school meal club," she informed the two and then she walked away from their spot.

 

She didn't bother to say something to Mina or even looked at her again. Chaeyoung just walked away as she spared Jeongyeon and Jihyo away from their problem. After all, she was there definitely not for the penguin.

 

-------

 

Hour passed after hour, the students inside the house got more drunk and wilder. The place got messier for each passing hour. The mere background music turned into a booming and deafening music. Some students were playing around, some were dancing in the centre, and some were blatantly making out in every corner, but all of them were pretty much drunk by now since it was already past midnight. Even Mina was buzzing from alcohol somewhere but not enough to strip her away from her rational self.

 

Chaeyoung was still sober enough since she managed to detach herself from Tzuyu and Dahyun's embarrassing play. The puppy was standing in Jihyo's sink while she sprinkled down all kinds of chips to the eagle's spot. Dahyun's arms were spread like wings as she tried to catch the falling salted and sweetened chips in while rotating herself. She looked like she was enjoying a good rain during the summer. Their actions were the horrible effect of the eagle's concoction. Good thing, the cub never trusted the drink for even a slightest or else she would've been splashing on the chips like she was playing in a puddle.

 

Jeongyeon was holding a toy hammer as she chased down her girlfriend. Jihyo was holding her head for protection while running away and bumping over unknown students. The silver haired girl quickly caught on to her but instead of playfully hitting her with the hammer, she peppered Jihyo's face with kisses. They giggled to each other and did those for the most part of the party — being a couple goal.

 

Nayeon was already wasted because being a social butterfly had its perks. She might've drunk with her numerous girl friends. As of now, the bunny was currently holding a small orange tiger raincoat with all of its stipes and tiger head. Of course, the cute raincoat would only fit for her baby. She wasn't even sure how she came in possession of the item but nonetheless she roamed the house looking for her baby beast. When she saw Chaeyoung walking out of the kitchen, she moved her feet to approach her.

 

"Chaeyoung-ah," the bunny slurred and then she enveloped the small cub in her embrace. "Nayeon unnnie?" Chaeyoung replied as she tried to struggle free from her. The younger wasn't so sure if her Nayeon unnie drank Dahyun's mixture or it was just the usual effect of alcohol in her system where she became a big cuddle bunny.

 

The older one stumbled away from the cub before she presented what she was holding to her, "Wear this for me," she demanded. Right, it was only the natural effect when she was intoxicated. Chaeyoung never answered and she only slowly backed away from her. Saying no will not get her any farther but running way will definitely do the trick. Nayeon squinted her eyes to her, "Why is my baby backing away?" she pouted warningly. The cub gulped as the bunny raised both of her big hands in the air.

 

Chaeyoung turned her heels and dodged Nayeon's hands. "I don't want to wear it!" she loudly informed her. She could only hear a gigle before she heard hurried footsteps behind her. She circled the house as she tried to lose Nayeon. Squeezing herself through the bodies of students, she tried her best to shake off her tail from the bunny.

 

It happened so fast, but as she ran in the hallway of the house and turned a specific right, Chaeyoung was pulled into another body and inside a poorly lighted cramped room. It was only cramped because of the stacks of boxes around them. She could tell that the person who pulled her was a girl, just from her soft hands on her upper arm. Her saviour's back was facing the doorframe and she smelled familiar, too.

 

She slowly raised head and looked up at Mina. It was the penguin just from the soft hands and the smell until to the intent of saving her. The quiet girl's breathing was ragged — it might took her some effort to pull the cub inside — and she was already looking down at her. She never spoke, though. Mina only remained watching her.

 

On instincts, Chaeyoung flinched her right arm from Mina's touches. The taller girl blinked before she fully processed the given action. She let go of her touches because it wasn't welcomed by the tiger cub. "Are you okay?" she asked before she looked away from Chaeyoung. The cub never answered her and continued to stare at her face. The two remained quiet under the light of the flickering bulb.

 

Mina never saw it, but Chaeyoung gritted her teeth and clenched her fists before her outburst poured out of her. The cub unclenched her hands and slammed her palms loudly on the door beside the penguin's frame. It startled Mina and with widened eyes her focus was back to Chaeyoung's own eyes. Her attention was demanded and she obliged in horror. Neither uttered a word.

 

The look on Chaeyoung's eyes was scary and it left Mina tongue tied. The cub advanced a step forward and the penguin could only back her feet away — reminding how trapped she was. She worriedly watched her stepped even closer. Her heartbeat raised drastically. She was sure earlier that the cub was still sober for her to run like that. Mina had to return her hands on her upper arms again because she was getting way too close for her liking. She continued to look into her eyes, hoping that she would stop, but Chaeyoung didn't. "I think you're drunk, Chaeyoung," she weakly stated as she was left with no other choice but to voice it out.

 

She never thought that she could go even weaker in their position. Chaeyoung had moved her hands and rested it on her waist. The cub sinfully slid her hands under her coat until she reached her ribs. Mina's hold on her arms weakened, giving the cub more leverage to close the gap between their bodies. It felt wrong. Everything felt wrong, she needed to stop this and whatever was about to happen. With hips inches apart, the idea of speaking again flew out of the penguin's head when the cub leaned her forehead to connect it to her own.

 

The tall girl froze but heat spread all over her body like wild fire. With hands completely dysfunctional, her ears fell deaf because her thundering heart was resonating inside her head as Chaeyoung continued to warm her hands by motioning it up and down on her sides. Her eyes drowned in the waves of Chaeyoung's dilated eyes. Her lips sensitively reacted for each breath that escaped from Chaeyoung. Mina awaited for Chaeyoung's mercy.

 

Chaeyoung nudged her face forward, sliding the sides of their noses together. She intently stared at her, looking directly into her being, and Mina returned it with her own stare.

 

They were too close — an inch apart. For this moment, they were one, molded and fitted together. They kept and held their sacred and intimate position. One minute, two minutes, three minutes had passed but the two were still lost in each other.

 

Kiss me

 

The cub finally relaxed. Her hands stilled and her sharp gaze softened. "You don't have to save me, Mina," she whispered directly to her lips. She blinked her round eyes once and then twice before her hands fell back into her waist. Chaeyoung pulled her face away from Mina, "I now know everything," she said. She moved her right hand and rested it on her nape, "Let's free ourselves over this," she removed her last hand, "I'm breaking our deal," she smiled to her.

 

Chaeyoung placed her hand on the doorknob and pushed it open, "Goodbye," she stated and left Mina inside the cramped room. The moment the door closed automatically, Mina's tears fell into her cheeks.

 

She touched her face and felt the warmth of her tears, Goodbye, she thought. "Hurts more hearing it from you," sh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter