People Change

You > Calculus

Woohyun's POV

"Don't hurt yourself sweetie, alright?" I said, turning on the Nam grease and sending her a wink. 

"Neh, Woohyunie-oppa!" she beamed, and skipped towards the gym. 

See? I'm not only super handsome, y, adorable, and smart, but I give advice. That girl was whining to me about how she was a worthless piece of crap and deserved to die, then I noticed what an uncomfortable-looking position she was sitting in. She was seated on the grass, criss-cross, whie bending forward and stretching. I asked her if she's ever considered cheerleading, and looky here, I've just made her realize her dream.

Nam Woohyun, you are indeed the full package.

Suddenly, I saw Jinju, mindlessly walking in my direction. She looked traumatized, as if she was just or another creepy homeless man talked to her on the way to the bus stop. I ran up to her worriedly.

"Jinju-ah! Are you oka-"

"What's Woohyunie-oppa doing with her?"

"Oh, gosh. Did another geek confess to oppa?"

"Has Woohyun gone crazy?"

Oh, . I'm at school. Jinju stopped and stared at me, dazed. In a state of panic, I scratched my ear and incoherently mumbled, "Um... your shoelace... untied."

Jinju continued to stare at me, then gave me a tiny bow. "Kamsahamnida," she said, using formalities, before leaving. Oh, my best friend is so smart. Playing along.

As soon as she was gone, I pulled out my phone and sent her a text.

To: Jinju

What's wrong? You look terrified...

Just then, the bell rang, signaling it was time for class to start. My next class is Calculus, so I'll try to talk to her in there.


It's been nearly five minutes since class started, and Jinju has already given in, but she's still got that dazed-traumatized-depessed look on her face. She texted me back saying we should just pass notes since we sit next to each other, and it's less likely we'll get caught. 

She passed the folded slip of paper to me, and I unfolded it. Normally, her handwriting is perfect - her letters are consistent in size, spaced perfectly apart, and written straight. It's as if her hand is typing.

However, when I unfolded the slip, I was face to face with scribbly, purple words. I looked over at her and frowned. "Your handwriting..?!" I mouthed. Jinju gave me her trademark dead face, which, in Jinju language, means to either shut the hell up, leave her alone because she's on her monthly spell, or leave her alone because something happened to her and she's not in the mood. Oh, girls. I have 2 female best friends, but I'll never fully understand them.

Anyhow, the note read:

Nam Woohyun, I got my notebook back

And before you ask, no, my is not bleeding

I made a disgusted face at Jinju, at which she shrugged in reply. Um, eww. EWWW. That word... that v word... ewww.

But, I noticed she didn't use periods (OH GOD - that just brought up the v word again. GROSSSS) at the end of her sentences, and that means something's up.

Jieun's POV

"What do you mean?" I asked, popping a slice of kimbap into my mouth. Holding a slice out to Woohyun-oppa, I offered, "Want one?" 

"Of course," he replied, accepting the slice and taking a bite. "It's good! Try to hide it though, Jieunnie. Food isn't allowed in the library," he explained, crouching behind the children's bookshelf.

We hide here a lot when we have to talk in the middle of the day, since the library isn't very popular, nonetheless the children's books. I wonder why we even have them...

I took a sip of my strawberry milk. "Araso.. What were you saying again?" 

Woohyun-oppa looked around and lowered his voice. "Jinju... she's been really strange these past few weeks, don't you think? Very bipolar. Lots of mood swings. Always hungry." He hesitated, then his eyes widened. "Do you think she's pregnant?!"

I quietly held my laugh in. "Of course not! Woohyun, perhaps she's-"

"DON'T SAY IT, JIEUNNIE! THE LADY PROBLEMS-"

"...going through some tough times..."

Woohyun looked at me for a moment and I giggled as he lowered his face in shame and embarassment. "Well, since you're her neighbor and much closer to her than I am, maybe you know something I don't?"

Mm... I know that Jinju likes Sungyeol...

I know Jinju has family issues...

I know Jinju accidentally farted on the bus the other day...

"Woohyun, Jinju-" I began, before getting cut off.

"Wait. Why did you stop calling me oppa?" he interrupted. In retort, I shoved a slice of kimbap into his mouth.

"Shush. You asked, so I answered!"

"Ahrrrrshhhuhhh," he mumbled.

"Jinju is a really complex person," I started, taking another sip of my milk to soothe my throat. "She's cool and rebellious, and on the outside she's quiet and keeps to herself. She seems like she's just a cool kid hiding underneath her shell, but Jinju is actually really, really sensitive. She has extremely low self-esteem and confidence, and she cries easily. Normally her super sensitive side doesn't show in public, but if she actually shows it, and she has been a lot, lately, she's really bothered." 

Hmmmph. I really pity Jinju. Sometimes she really needs a hug but her pride doesn't let her say that. That's why I always hug her just to make sure she gets some love.

"So... to put it simply, she's changed?"

I pursed my lips and sipped my milk again. "Yeah... pain does that to people."

It was silent and awkward for a little bit, just how a library should be. Woohyun cleared his throat and shifted uncomfortably before smiling again.

"Wow, that's the most I've ever heard you say, Jieunnie! You spoke really well. You even didn't call me oppa! Looks like someone's changing, eh?" he teased as he ruffled my hair. I giggled.

"Jinju influences me sometimes."

Sungyeol's POV

"Myungsoo, come over to my house instead, tomorrow. Let's hang out like we used to!" I whined, tugging on my best friend's arm. He pulled away, annoyed.

"Why, because Naeun is visiting the states?" he grumbled, sifting through his cabinets.

I frowned. "Hey. She just let me know after school yesterday. To find out she's gone for 2 months on an extremely short notice? You'd be in a bad mood too."

"Dude, I've told you so many freaking times, tomorrow's my sister's birthday! I'm not going to bail on her."

"So? Doesn't she have friends to hang out with? Maybe your parents will do something special for her?"

Myungsoo paused and looked around for a moment before resuming his cabinet search. "That's exactly why I can't hang out with you."

Getting Myungsoo to give in to something was never an easy task, because he always gets what he wants. He's not using it to his advantage, but he just has that charm. Even on me. "But why?! And what are you looking for?"

Myungsoo shut the cabinet door and frowned at me. "Do you know how to make a cake, Sungyeol?"

I stared at him and shrugged. "Yeah. I've many tons for my siblings."

"Really? Well, come back here tomorrow and we can hang out."

My eyes widened in shock. "Um, you want me to bake a cake for your sister? Why? I don't know her!"

 

"I can't believe I'm doing this, Myungsoo," I muttered, stirring the red velvet cake batter. "If anything, it's for you. Not for her."

Myungsoo chuckled slightly. "I can't believe it either. People change, don't they?"

"Shut up. I'm still freaking almighty Lee Sungyeol."

= = = = = = = = = =

Short-ish update. Media camp has let my train of thought for this fic run amock. Let me know what you thought of this chapter, keke?

Here is a gif for you. Irrelevance level: High.

IGEON JEONJAENGI ANNIYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

 

I'm gonna go work on Chapter 10 now, then :D