Four

Like Clockwork

Myungsoo get home early, his schedule for that day is not full. He really did that on purposed. He knows he might got stuck in a traffic if he got late, for some reason his place was near to where people wanted to hangouts. Sometimes, he could see some bunch of friends hanging out together, he even see a couples too. He hated seeing couples-- married or otherwise. He can't explained why, even his self can't explained why. It's not that he was envy them, he doesn't knot how to be envy.

"Thanks for the ride." he thanks Yeol when he noticed that he was already in front of his condominium building. He didn't bring his car today. So, he asks Yeol if he can drop him by.

"Sure, anytime."

"Drive safely." he said when he step out from his car.

He walks inside and decides to ask the front desk if someone looks for him first before going to his unit when a certain man accidentally bumps into him.

"What the hell?" his things right now is everywhere scattered on the floor. He was muffling a curses words now. He hated his expression. He can't just help but to cursed every time he got shock. He felts that he lost his poise.

He immediately pick all of his stuff.

"Are you alright, Sir? I'm terribly sorry. It was my fault, I wasn't paying attention to where I was heading. Again, I'm sorry." an apology from the man who bump him. He even help him picking up his things. Then, their foreheads bumps.

"What's with you? Are you always like this?" he look at him, "Woohyun!" he suddenly feel nervous when he manage to know him. He didn't even bothered to removed his hand from his forehead.

"Does it hurts?" Woohyun worried. He even take a look on his forehead.

He became more conscious. "Oh! Just stop it." he said.

"Wait! Can you please calm, there's a blood."

"Huh? Really?"

"No. I'm just kidding. With that hard heads of yours, you didn't even get a lump." he smile while saying that. He help him to stand.

"You still remember me." he smile.

"Huh? No.. Uhm.. Just.." he stop when a group of people cough.

Brows knitted "What's their problem?" Woohyun asks.

He smile. "Don't mind them."

"Okay. Again, I'm sorry. I need to go."

"You're leaving already?" he asks out loud.

He chuckled, "What?" Woohyun asks in surprise.

"Nothing! Forget it. I didn't mean to say that out loud." he silently cursed his self.

"I can't. You want me to stay for awhile?"

"Huh? No, you don't have to. You don't even know me."

"I know who you are. You're Kim Myungsoo, right? he even smiled at him.

Seems his heart can't stop from accelerating its speed. " What are you doing here?" he asks instead.

"I just drop by. Actually, I was waiting for someone to pick me up.

" Anyway, thank you."

"Thank you? For the lump?"

"You said I didn't get any."

"Yeah!"

"Thanks for helping me, picking up my things."

"Oh! Its nothing. I loved to help you."

"I should go upstairs." he bade. He couldn't bear staying there in front of him any longer.

"Wait! Are you free tomorrow? Maybe I could invite you for dinner."

"I still have classes tomorrow." he remembers its still Friday tomorrow.

"Saturday?"

He didn't answered him right away.

"How 'bout Sunday? Monday? Tuesday? Wednesday--"

"Saturday will be fine." he cuts him off.

"So, I'll pick you up on Saturday? Around five in the afternoon?"

He nodded.

"Okay, see you on Saturday."

"Is that supposed to be a date?" he asks him.

"You can tell it that, you can call it dinner treat." he smile while saying that.

"Right."

"Okay, I need to go."

"Take care."

It was too late to take that back. Take care? Maybe, he would think that he worries about him.

A breath of relief when he noticed that Woohyun didn't mind what did he just said. He was perfectly walking straight outside the building.

 

--

He was in a deep sleep when his phone rings over the bedside table. He let's just rings it, but he answers it when his phone doesn't want to stop from ringing.

"Myungsoo, your grandfather.." a husky voice of his Uncle San from the other line telling him about that news. His Uncle San who treated him like his own son, and who take good care of him.

He doesn't need to tell him what's really happens. He immediately said his goodbye and tell him that he will go there.

 

When he arrives he saw his Uncle crying outside the room of his grandfather.

"What happened?" he asks.

"Your grandpa, his heart stopped. We thought, he was gone. Thanks God the doctors were able to revive him." he was also left out of breath when he tell him the news.

"Where is he?"

"He's in ICU. But they're not allowing relatives to visits at this time. He's health is not too good. Well, we'll hardly be of any help."

"I wanted to see him." he wish.

"Later. Don't worry too much. I'm sure they're doing all they can for him."

He just felt his tears were escaping from his eyes. Now they were in relief, but they almost loss him. Its been a days since he was admitted because he can't breath well. After he had gone through a chest radiograph at CT scan, they have learn that he has a pulmonary fibrosis. The doctors doesn't know how did he got that. Maybe it was because he smoked when he was still young. Even before they were aware that he had a coronary artery disease. They have tried everything, the best treatment money could afford-- from oral and inhaled steroids, bronchodilator, to home oxygen. But to no avail.

The symptoms continues. Truth is, till now they don't find any medicine to cure him. After the doctors said that he only lives for days and no chance to survive, his realatives starts to fight over the money. It cost, after all, a fortune-- fortune each if them believed they should be enjoying instead.

He can't help but to pity his grandfather. He was still alive, but other wish that he had died. And he blamed him for it. Whatever Master Kim was getting, he brought it upon himself. His grandfather was no means of saint. He was cruel, manipulative, and ruthless. It was probably this cold and ruthless logic that helped him to gain his millions.. That's the reason why he chose to live far from his other relatives. Kim was enough that he was carrying that surname, he didn't want to have anything to do with all the greed.

"Have you found him yet?" his Uncles asks him. He wasn't expecting him to asks that, and not with this situation.

"Is that what are you worrying for?" he shouted.

"Oh! Come on, Myungsoo. Your grandfather's dying. That's what he wants to happen before he dies, right? To see you married." he answers.

"I can't believe this."

"Well, you have to. Your grandfather only thinks what's the best for you."

He got into a thought. His grandfather still wanted that even for the last time. Whatever Master Kim wanted, Master Kim got. He remembered his parents. His father married his mother a woman who didn't belong to his father's social circle, which infuriated his grandfather. His grandfather sent them away but his father fight his love. When both of his parents died in plane crash when he was twelve, he was a struggling businessman, he owns an automobile shop, when in truth he was the sole heir to a lavish empire. And his Uncle San, the adopted brother of his father was the one who take good care of him.

When he grows up he had learned the true reason of the argument of his father and his grandfather. He hated his grandfather and all those time he was trying to groom him to be his heir apparent.

When his grandfather noticed that he doesn't have any relationship, he worries a lot. When he learned that this worried him to no end, the more he put on a show. He wanted to take  revenge. He stop going in a blind date. He was strong like his father he ran his own life.. up until now.

"And you Uncle? Do you want me to be good? Or you just have same intention with grandpa?" he asks him back.

"What was that supposed to mean?"

"You and I know what that means. The clause from grandpa's testaments."

"For you to follow. You were a hardheaded."

"I don't need it. I'm happy with my life."

"Don't be a fool.  That money is for you. You have all the rights, and not with the siblings of your grandfather. All Master Kim's assets will be yours if you marry before he dies." he said clearly.

"And if I don't?"

"All of it will go to charity."

"Then that will make a lot of hungry stomachs full and a lot of sad people happy." he hardly said.

"Don't do this. You don't have to be like your father."

"And what if I am?" he was angry that he's father have been brought up.

"And me? How about me? What is to become of me? I was the one who take good care of you?"

"Uncle.."

He was caught off guard, seems he was reprimand to what did he just said.

"You either?" he lowly said.

"I was never really a part of this family. They adopted me for what? I've never even come close to getting what their real son was getting. And now that I have the chance, I don't wanna lose that, for just like that."

"Uncle San, I wanted to believed that you have loved me. The reasons why did you take me as your own son."

He just stays silent.

"And not just means to get your reward in the end." seems there was a knife stub in his heart in that moment.

"Myungsoo, I'm sorry, I.."

"You're selfish. You're just like grandpa. All you care about is your millions."

"You're selfish too. You want to throw all of these away just so nobody else can get them."

"I'm leaving. I hope you haven't asks me to come." he said before he turn his back from him and walk away.

"You're just like your father!" he shouted.

He didn't turn his back.