Ten

Like Clockwork

"Uncle San, this is Woohyun, my boyfriend." Myungsoo introduces Woohyun to his Uncle. He tagged Woohyun with him when he visits to the hospital. His grandfather was peacefully sleeping.

"Good afternoon, Sir." Woohyun greets.

"Good afternoon too. Come, and have a sit here." His Uncle San offers to Woohyun.

Woohyun sits on one of the chairs there.

"Good thing and you bring him with you." His Uncle San said.

Myungsoo didn't say anything. Until now he was still mad at him. He couldn't just answered him back because Woohyun was there with them. If it was up to him, he wouldn't bring Woohyun to that place but Woohyun really wanted to go, and he couldn't even says no to him. He remembers what Woohyun told him when the last time they had a dinner; how does that someone you love can make you say "yes" through his smile though it's a "no". He was right all along.

"He's under sedative. He won't be waking up until later." His Uncle San explain when he notice that he was glancing over to his grandfather. He pitied the old man. And maybe, "pity" was not the word. He have loved him. He resented him for all the times he had tried to meddle with his affairs. But this time, he so secretly wished he would just awaken from his slumber and argue with him, and ask about the man he was with. He missed how his grandfather meddling things with him.

"So, Woohyun.. 'Woohyun' right?" His Uncle San asks.

"Yes, sir. Nam Woohyun" Woohyun answers right away.

"How did you two meet?"

"He just knocked on my door one night. Then, when I opened it, I've already had a boyfriend." Myungsoo answers first.

"Is that right?" His Uncle doubtfully asks.

"Yeah, that's right." Woohyun answer.

"And what do you do for a living?" He obviously interrogating Woohyun.

"He's a businessman." Myungsoo answers automatically.

"I see. Do you mind if I ask if what business do you have?"

"He's into tourism." It's Myungsoo who answers for Woohyun again.

"Myungsoo, the fruits. I have left in the car, I'll just go get them." Woohyun stood up and went out of the room.

"Honestly, he looks good and decent." He heard his Uncle San commented about Woohyun.

"He really is." He wants to be more mad at him but he just can't, because of the comments he gave to Woohyun. He was pleased by the praise his Uncle gave him.

"Well, it hardly matters if what have with him. The only thing that matters now is, you two should get married soon."

"What?" He couldn't even believe that he would be actually hearing it from him. He thought that his Uncle is had already giving up with that topic. "Is that what you think this is?" He was pointing out about that marriage thing. He couldn't even help but to raise his voice.

"Is there anything?"

"I brought him here because he wanted to meet you, guys. He wanted to know my family."

"You? What is your reason?"

"Because for the first time in my life I think Iike somebody. So much I wanted you to meet him. Because that was the right thing to do, isn't it?"

"Look, he's probably a nice, smart guy. If not, you can always have your marriage annulled later on. What our lawyers doing anyway? What important is, what we're facing right now. You have a deadline, if you know what I mean." After it he glance over to the old man lying in his hospital bed.

"Uncle San, I love you very much and I respect you. Don't let me make my love and respect for you will vanish." He warns him.

"What's the hard thing with that? You'll just get married.. that's the only wish of your grandfather. He wanted to see you settled down before he dies. And if you could do that, everything he owns will automatically be yours. I just don't get why is it so hard for you to pick a man. It's not stipulated in the will that he has to be likeable. Besides, who's going to be the juudge of that?" He glance over again to Master Kim and he continue.

"Even when he was stronger, he doesn't have anyone to deal with. All we need is a man to stand beside you in front of the altar to say 'I do'. Then after that, it's done. Nobody can do anything about it. If you want to dispatch that man, broke up with him. So what if he learns about the will by that time? Pay him for him to stayed silent. You'll have everything at your disposal by then."

"I don't understand if you're really listening to me." He object.

"Why? What do you expect me to believe? That you love him? What if I don't believe you? Maybe, you were just acting to make yourself look good. Try to convince us that you were different from us."

"I don't believe.." He wasn't able to finish what he wanted to say when the door opens. "Woohyun?" He did not expect him to be back so soon.

Woohyun was quiet, his eyes were running to Myungsoo's direction, to his Uncle San, and to his grandfather. He could sense he was upset.

"Did you stand there for quite times?" He asks in a low voice. He knows the answer to it. Even that question is hardly came out from his mouth. He dreaded his answer.

Woohyun just nod.

"Woohyun, I can explain.. it's not what you think," he starts.

"I think I forgot the keys to the car." Woohyun didn't even bother to look at him. He instead went over to the table settled near to the window. The key was over it. He get it and he leaves again. He couldn't even manage to say a thing. He glared to his Uncle. They were shooting glares to each other.

He stood up to follow Woohyun when his Uncle stops him. He hold him in the arm.

"This can still work in our favor. Just pay him, for God's sake! Everybody has a price tag." His Uncle whisper.

He free his arm from him. "Will you just shut up! Just live with your own life. I don't want anything to do with you!" He yells at him. He runs outside. Woohyun was not getting away. He knew he was important to him, but it was only now that he knew how much. "Woohyun!" He called out when he saw him in the hallway. He have reach him while waiting for the elevator. "Woohyun, it's not what you think."

"You already says that awhile ago."

"But I didn't bring you here because of.."

"I heard what I wanted to hear, Myungsoo. You know, it's always been a thought to me until lately why do you always say yes if I introduces myself as your boyfriend, even though we both know that I am really not. I've kept asking myself for the longest time why. God, why? Yes, I made a claim. Call them bragging rights if you want. I just want to bragged into the world that you're mine, and every time someone tries to make sure, you always say 'yes'. And I asked, why do you always play along?"

"Woohyun, please give me a chance to explain."

"Then, I was the accident you were waiting to happen. You need a man for you to get married, and for you to have the wealth of yours. How could I have missed that? A college professor is able to keep a condo unit with his salary? Is that the reason why you have let me in, in your life when I knocked on your door?"

"You asked me once before why I always play along, then I asked you, why, don't you like it? Then you said you like it.. Did it ever occur to you the reason why I've been playing along is because I like it too?" Myungsoo says in a teary eyes.

"Myungsoo, I really love you and I really do. You know that from day one."

He nodded. "And I love you too. Maybe, I haven't said that before, but I love you."

"But.." Woohyun says in doubt.

"But? What you heard back there doesn't have to change anything." Myungsoo said.

"But it does, Myungsoo. It changes everything. Can't you see? Because from now, I will always been thinking that you just wants me in your side is because you want to get the wealth of yours, and that's half of it. You? What makes you so sure that after I heard that, and I choose to stay with you, isn't it because of your money? What if I decide to stay for the money?

"You were not like that."

"What do we have working for us? I'm just a stranger who showed up on your doorstep."

"Don't go," he pleadingly asks.

"Don't ask me to stay." Woohyun hugs him tighter.

He closed his eyes to cherish that moment. He doesn't want to open his eyes because he knows when he does Woohyun is gone.

"Why do I have to know so much about you?" Myungsoo asks while he was hugging Woohyun.

"Why do I have to know so little about you? Woohyun asks him too.

He felt his soft lips planted a kiss on his forehead. "I love you so much, Myungsoo." He whispered. Then Myungsoo could feels that Woohyun is slowly letting him go from the hug.

He hardly had the words to make him stay. He have watch the elevator door close were Woohyun is, were the man he love is.