Eleven

Like Clockwork

"I don't know if you could still hear me or not. It's odd when you think about it. I tried so hard to remember when we ever did have a real conversation. And I just can't think any time except now. Were when you can't answer me, were when I don't know if you can still hear me. And I'm sorry for that. I'm sorry if I have wasted so much time for both of us. Yes, I hated you. I won't deny that, but I was angry with you because you have made me feel that you don't want me to love you."

Myungsoo was inside the hospital suite of his grandfather and he was talking at him. Ever since the incidents happened about him and Woohyun, he always visits his grandfather when his Uncle San is not around.

His grandfather didn't even stir. Most of the time he was just like that. He knew he was leaving them soon. All of his doctors had surrender to cure him.

"I don't care about the money. Not because I didn't care about those things that you have worked hard for, but I know there's always been a condition in it. It has always been like that between us. I'll give you this much, you give me this much. It is so businesslike. Seems we're both a merchant when we talk. Feels like I'm not your grandson and you're not my grandfather." He whisiper. His tears are freely flowing down on his checks.

"The truth is, it's not that I don't want Master Kim Dae Hyun for a grandfather. In fact, I would have loved that. The thing is, the closest we ever got was being a mentor and a prodigy. I don't need a teacher, I have a lot of that. I don't need another seminar. All I've ever wanted was to get that feeling that when I am with you, I am home. You know, I met someone interesting. And I'm using the word 'interesting' for lack of a better term. And for the first time in my life I am sure. Grandpa, I love him very much. I don't know if you'll like him, but I like him. Don't you think that's a good start?" He wipe away his tears. He even put his head near to his grandfathers' knees.

"I wish I could have him..."

He took a glance at the window. From where he was he could see the lights from the other buildings near the hospital. Seems it was like a fireflies not leaving its place. 

"I would give up anything just to be by his side. And I would just lose myself, without really caring, and that's how I know I love him." He hide his head in a pillow. He wanted to hide his tears like someone in the room could see him. And he tried his best to muffle his cries. He thought, his grandfather would thought that he's weak.

 

---

Master Kim was always asleep. Maybe it was the effects of the medicines he receives. When he open his eyes, the darkness of the room greets him. It was just a lampshade near in his bed giving a light inside the room.

It was late in the evening, so nobody would expect him to be awake at that ungodly hour. When he was in his young age, maybe he was complaining how the staff treating him. Not that they were doing anything specifically wrong, they weren't just doing it the way he wanted it done. But it really different now. He felt like he change a lot, most especially this past few days.

He glance over to his favorite grandchild. Myungsoo slept his self while he was watching over his grandfather. Maybe that was the reason or because he cries awhile. He heard his cries earlier, but he try real hard not to stir. He feigned sleep. He really wanted to know what Myungsoo really feels inside.

He have lived this long in this world, and he learns that it's hard to trust people that easily. He knows sometimes, those people in front of him only tackles the things what he wanted to hear, and not the things what he really needs to hear.

Something was hurting his grandson terribly. Their were times before that they argued. Myungsoo is a fighter. He liked that in his character. That was the entire irony of it. It was a trait of him that he liked and hated at the same time. He like him for being strong, him being a a fighter. And he hated it, if only because he would often see him at the opposite side. Myungsoo always opposing to his likes.

He smile while he was staring at him. He loved him. Maybe, not the way how Myungsoo wanted it to be, but he knows he love Myungsoo on his own little way. He wanted to touch him, but he can't because of the things attached to his hand.

He only had one regrets. And him for being cold to his grandson. He have wish, Myungsoo will learn to forgive him despite of everything he have done.

He always made him feel proud. He have secretly watch Myungsoo from all of his achievements he got. And all those time, he tried to deny that he was winning his heart. He pretends that he doesn't even cared. He have kept his heart away from his grandson, just like how he did from the others surrounded him.

He took a deep breath. Even that simple things gave him pain. He knows, he doesn't have that much time. He close his eyes again, he needs to rest for tomorrow. He needs to do a thing.

 

---

Myungsoo didn't even expect that he'll be seeing Nam Woohyun again, most especially in this kind of situation. Only few people who was there already for his grandfather funerals. He was surprise when some of these people getting near him for a handshake.

"I'm really sorry about what happened." Woohyun said.

He gives him a weak smile.

"Will you be alright?" worried can be easily sense from his voice.

"Yes, I've prepared myself for this weeks. From the day his doctors told us that we can't do anything but to wait. But, no matter how prepared you are it's still  not enough for the one you love."

"I know what you mean "

"Are you gonna stay longer?"

"Maybe, no. It's already late." Woohyun smiled at him.

He smiled back. He missed being with him for the longest time. "You've come."

"It's all in the news and newspapers. How could I miss it?"

"Yeah, I forgot."

"Myungsoo.." Woohyun hold his hand tight.

He suddenly felt nervous. He also felt like that when he first saw him. He waited him to talk. He was hoping to hear what he had been longing to hear for a long time since he had known him.

"Excuse me. Condolence, Myungsoo." One of the visitors said, interrupted them. "I'm your grandfather's friend. He spoke so much about you."

He look to the visitor. "Thank you, sir."

"Maybe some other time. This is hardly the time to talk." Woohyun said instead.

"I guess." He tried not to look disappointed.

"I need to go."

"You take care."

"You too." Woohyun smile at him before he leaves.

He watched him walk away. And he couldn't even notice how many people went over him for them to extend their sympathy on him while he was looking to the man he loves.

 

---

He guessed he was right with what he said, that it's not the right time for them. Not with the things they wanted to talk to, but for everything. It was a funeral, and like most funerals, only the past was ever spoken of, and the future was made to wait.

"I'm going to miss you, freak." Yeol said in a teary eye.

"Me too." He said while grinning. He got sad whenever he thinks that he won't see Yeol for so long, but every time he sees how Yeol looks like his sadness will gone. He couldn't even draw how his face looks like. Laughing and crying at the same time.

"Yah! You better bring jackets with you. I heard it's very cold in there right now." Yeol reminds him.

"Okay, I'll remember that." He assures him. He heard it in the news himself, that its cold in Austria now a days. It's been a month right now since his grandfather pass away. He and his Uncle San didn't had the chance to talk again after that. Maybe, he could still forgives him, but not now. He needed a respite, and he thinks going abroad is better. If he's in Seoul, he feels like there's something missing. It wasn't just his grandfather whom he missed. There's a certain person, but he thinks he would never come and he doesn't like to wait.

He believed that true love came only once. And he knows that it already passed at him. He just wasn't sure whether he played his cards right.

"Hey, happiness is a state of mind. No one would ever make you happy but only yourself. Not other people." Yeol said to him, seems he could read what's going on his mind.

"Okay,  take care." He hug him.

When Yeol left he feels more heaviness in his self. Maybe, it is always been like that. Loneliness hit someone when he was all by himself. Yeol was his last visitors from his farewell party. Maybe he was just physically drained from packing and from taking care of his guests earlier.

He decides to drop by first at the convenience store before going to his pad. Just like before, he got his favorite instant coffee.

He went over to the counter. It's not Sungjong he sees but a newbie.

He look over the name of the newbie in his name tag. Its was written there "Sehun".

"Sehun, where's Sungjong? I don't see him lately." He noticed. He have been there many time but he couldn't see Sungjong.

"Sir, he already resigned. And I was the one who took his place." Sehun answers.

"I see." He nod. He feels more sadder right now. Then there was hardly any reason for Woohyun to come back to this place. He thinks, maybe Sungjong had already went home and fix the mess he made. He managed to smile at the thought, at least it could lessen the worries of Woohyun.

Damn! It was always him.

He couldn't even think of anything? It always him.

He was on the elevator right now going to his floor. He watch his self in the mirror. A lot of things change from him in a span of one month. He was totally different person now. Before he used to wear plain black shirts, and doesn't cared how he looks like.. He could hardly believe sometime back, he could go down the store below the building with just his pajamas on. Just like before nobody was with him. He was by his lonesome self. When he reached his floor he was surprised when he notice a two figures standing right in front of his pads door. One of the guy is with his guitar. He slowly walk. He take a look to his watch. It's already ten in the evening. And what's with this two doing here? There's been clear noticed at the ground floor. It said No Solicitation.

He think, he needs to talk the security officer once he got to his pad.

"Man, seems like no ones inside. We're here for ten minutes from now. We have sing our hearts out but no one's open the door, let's call it a night." The guy with his guitar said.

The other didn't even move nor uttered a word.

"It was a crazy idea in the first place. Made this building to a concert hall. And serenade someone." The other continue.

"Eh, why did you say so?" the other blurts out.

"Because, it's crazy. I got excited. Imagine you going to all these great lengths, then I said, seems my friend fallen so hard.

"Anyway, let's go." the two turn their back and left his door. They met their ways in the hallway. Then, that's the time he clearly notice them, the guy who's holding a guitar was his music lover neighbor. He hated the guy every nights if he played songs and his with..

"Woohyun?"

"Myungsoo?"

"You came back." the first thing came out from his mouth.

"I never should have left in the first place."

He glance over to the guy he was with, who's smiling ear to ear.

"Hi, I'm Kim Kibum at your service." Key offer his hand for a handshake.

Myungsoo takes it and after that he asks Woohyun. "What are you two doing here?"

"Hmm... we're.. Nothing." Woohyun shyly said.

"Why is your friend had a guitar with him when it's nothing?" He teasingly asks.

"Were going to serenade you." Key was the one who answers.

"You're going to leave?" He asks again.

"We thought, you weren't around."

"Well, I am here now." Myungsoo directly said.

"Yeah, right."

"And now?

"And now?" Woohyun asks curiously.

"I thought, you were going to serenade me."

"He said you played now." He laugh when he heard Woohyun whispered to Key. Key starts to sings while strumming his guitar. His tears starts coming out from his eyes for stopping his self not to laugh.

"I'm sorry I left," Woohyun starts.

"Hey, things happen." He tried to be more casual to his answer.

"No, I mean it. I am. There's not a day were I have been thinking that what if I've never leave. And the reason why I'm here is because I don't want to leave anything to chance anymore. I was once given a chance by fate. Our first meet was a coincidence, nothing more, a coincidence I can't wait to happen. It's about time I do something on my own. What if we can't see each other again? I won't forgive myself."

"It's funny you said that. Because I'm leaving for the Austria tomorrow." Myungsoo said.

"Don't go." Woohyun hold his hand.

"Wait.. The coffee." He interrupts. He put his coffee to his pocket, before he gave his hand to Woohyun. All throughout he was smiling.

"You never married?" Woohyun notice the space in his ring finger.

He nodded.

"But.."

"Because that wasn't the right reason to." He answers him first.

"Then it means.."

He knows he was pertaining to the wealth. His money.

"Uh-huh. It's not important to me. It wasn't mine in the first place. If I couldn't have it, I can still live with my own. I'm not exactly a pauper. What would I get if I won't leave?" He asks Woohyun.

"Then marry me."

"Huh? Are you okay?" he was surprise.

"I'm not a rich as your grandfather, but it's enough. We can still live."

"I know. You're not as rich as my grandfather. What makes your offer any better?"

"Because I love you and I really do. And I'll take care of you. And for the rest of my life I'll be with you."

"And whenever I'll take your proposal, what's your assurance that it isn't for the money?" He recalls how did he asks him when the last time they were in the hospital.

"You mean, how will I know if you love me?" Woohyun asks him.

"Uh-huh." He nod.

Woohyun stayed silent, he's really thinking.

"I told you." He added.

"Do I really need to know?"

"What?"

"Someone once taught me, you will know if that someone loves you if you stop asking him if he loves you."

He look at him.

"I believed you when you said that." Woohyun said.

He couldn't even uttered a word. He could feel his heartbeat racing. He had longed for him for so long. And now that he was right in front of him, he couldn't even look a defense from what his heart is saying.

"Will you marry me, Kim Myungsoo?" Woohyun asks.

"I don't know.."

Woohyun hold him tighter. They made him feel secure without crashing them.

"Ouch." He jokingly said.

Woohyun smiles. He was sure he was  just joking.

He stared at him. "Someone taught me before that how will I know if I love that someone," Myungsoo starts.

"How?"

"If he could make me say 'yes' through his smile though it's a 'no'. And right now, with your hands in mine,  with that smiles of yours, I couldn't agree more to what I was taught. Yes, I will marry you."

Woohyun automatically hugs him. "I love you very much, Myungsoo."

"I love you too, Woohyun." He respond.

Their lips met. It was a passionate kiss. He have waited this moment to happen. All his life was in that moment. They just stop kissing when they noticed that no one was singing. They look back at Key, but he wasn't there anymore. They just have seen the elevator door close. They laughed at themselves.

"Can I ask you a question? He asks Woohyun.

"Shoot!"

"What did you wish for when we were in the First Catch."

"You."

"You first, I was the one who ask first."

"I mean, it was you. I wished for you. I wasn't asking if what did you wish for."

"It was you. I also wished for you." He beamed.

"Come, why don't you come in first." He offers to Woohyun. Whey they got in, they lock the door. He could sense that they will be having a busy night together. He would just tell him later on about the will. His grandfather change his last will testament before he left the world. He was still the prince of the Kim fortune. And he was his King.