Safe

Kitten

“Yah! Why weren’t you at work yesterday!” I yelled at Jaehwan when I saw him walk into the cafe. At the sound of my voice he ducked his head down in shame and walked over to me.

 

“I’m sorry I spent the whole day trying to find this cat I saw when walking to work two days ago.”

 

“You could have at least called that you weren’t going to come! I had to work two shifts because of you.”

 

“I’m sorry hyung I’ll make sure to call in next time.” Jaehwan said as he walked over to put his apron on, and start prepping the oven. Honestly sometimes he can act just like a little kid. As I was walking over to set up the tables I heard Jaehwan mumble something.

 

“Did you say something?”

 

“Just I wish you could have seen the kitten it wasn’t like any other kitten it was different.”

 

“How so?”

 

“It could change its shape.” I almost dropped the chair I was holding when I heard that sentence.

 

“What?”

 

“Weird right? I saw it walking into an alley, and so I followed it to see it transform into a person.”

 

“Do you happen to know how the kitten looked like?”

 

“Hmmm from what I remembered it was black with a little white.”

 

“How strange.” I said as I tried not to sound horrified. What if that kitten was the one I had found yesterday? Many thoughts started racing through my mind like What if Jaehwan was just imagining things? What if there just happened to be a random stranger in that alley? It just simply did not seem believable. Whatever I will just have to find out when I get home.

 


 

Luckily the cafe wasn’t as busy today so the day went by smoothly, and within a few hours I was walking home. How should I approach the kitten? Should I just ask if it can turn into a human? Before I knew it I was in front of my house.  Well it's now or never.  I opened the door and walked in. I looked around, but I couldn’t see the kitten anywhere. What if the kitten was still asleep? I walked to my bedroom, and almost yelled. In my bed was not the kitten I saw yesterday instead there was a grown man who looked as if he was my age sleeping in my bed. He still surprisingly had the features of a kitten. I would have found it cute if I wasn’t so scared. Slowly as to not wake up the kitten? I walked quietly out of the room. I tried to calm down my beating heart as I leaned against a wall.  Well at least I know the kitten was a he.  I walked to kitchen to try and distract myself with making food. I ended up just making a salad. I was in the living room sitting down watching whatever I could find when the kitten walked in. I tried to act normal as if I didn’t see anything suspicious. The kitten jumped up on the couch to start meowing.

 

“Are you hungry?” The kitten nodded and it was so cute that for a moment I forgot what I had witnessed earlier. I got up and walked over to his bowl to fill it with some cat food. I wonder how cat food tastes like to him. You know what I’m gonna ask him. I waited for him to finish his cat food to pick him up, and put him down on the couch.

 

“Alright I want you to tell me what are you.” The kitten seemed to not understand me and just meowed.

 

“Thought you would say that, but I saw you earlier sleeping in my bed.” The kitten widen its eyes and started backing away from me.

 

“No! Don’t worry I won’t hurt you I just want to know what are you.” I said panicked because I didn’t want to frighten him. The kitten stared into my eyes for what felt like minutes until it hopped off and onto the floor. Within seconds the man I saw earlier stood right in front of me. Now standing I noticed he was taller and bigger than me. Quite a contrast to his kitten form. I patted the cushion next to me tell him to sit back down to which he did.

 

“Care to explain now?”

 

“Well I am a cat hybrid meaning I can change into a human and kitten. My name is Leo.” Leo whispered with his head down revealing his black kitten ears.

 

“Do you have any family?” The hybrid looked troubled at my question as he began fidgeting around nervously.

 

“I was actually created by some scientists as an experiment when I found out I ran away.”

 

“You poor thing, and you have been living on the streets this whole time?” Leo nodded his head.  To think such an innocent kitten ended up having this kind of background.

 

“It’s okay if you want to get rid of me I understand.” Leo said getting up and transforming into his kitten from.

 

“I would never!” I grabbed the kitten before it could leave.

 

“You can stay here with me, and I’ll make sure to keep you safe.” I said as I stared into the kitten’s black eyes. In return it nuzzled my hand giving off a small purr.