Parent Trap

Forced to Date You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Mom, Wendy and I aren’t dating.”

“What?” Chanyeol’s mom replied in shock. “What did you just say?”

“Wendy and I aren’t actually dating, mom,” Chanyeol repeated.

“I’m so sorry, we know how excited you were, but we couldn’t lie to you,” Wendy added, her voice almost cracking. She kept her eyes on her lap; she couldn’t look at Chanyeol’s mom in the eye.

“So why was it all over the news then?” Chanyeol’s mom asked, looking concerned.

“It was an accident,” Chanyeol started to explain. “Wendy was having a really bad day so I went to her place to comfort her, and, well, we forgot that paparazzi could literally be hiding anywhere.”

“Wait, I’m still confused, but Wendy, are you alright? What happened?” Chanyeol’s mother asked worriedly.

“I think I mentioned before that I was dating someone? Well, uhm, he broke up with me that day,” Wendy said.

“I do remember. He’s the guy Chanyeol told me was bad for you,” Chanyeol’s mom said disapprovingly. Chanyeol glared at his mom; she was already oversharing as usual. “Are you okay now, Wendy? You know I’m always worried for you. You could always call me, you know that, right?”

“Of course, and I’m really, really grateful for that. You know you’re truly like a mother to me. As for the breakup, I think I’m slowly accepting it,” Wendy admitted.

“That’s good to hear,” she answered, smiling at Wendy. “Anyway, I’m still confused. How the heck did you end up dating according to every news station in Korea?”

“Well, the SM directors forced us to date, since they said it would help with my bad reputation with the public,” Chanyeol answered truthfully. “So only the SM directors, our managers, and our members – well, plus you, now – know that we aren’t really dating... so I’d really appreciate it, mother, if you could keep quiet about it.”

“Are you saying that I can’t keep my mouth shut?!” His mom angrily asked him.

“That’s exactly what I’m saying,” he answered bluntly.

“Park Chanyeol!” His mom raised her voice even higher.

“Why don’t we have lunch first?” Wendy butted in, forcing a smile to the mother and son who were still bickering, but her suggestion was unfortunately ignored by the other two.

When Chanyeol’s mother calmed down from her outburst, the trio proceeded to eat lunch, and she shared her thoughts with Wendy and Chanyeol: “I’m going to be honest, I am disappointed that you aren’t dating. Chanyeol knows – and his sister too – how much I want you as my daughter-in-law, Wendy.”

Wendy smiled hesitatingly, cringing deep inside.

“But I’m even more disappointed in you, Chanyeol! You could’ve just told me on the phone,” his mom pursed her lips.

“I’m sorry, Ma,” Chanyeol stared at his mom with his puppy eyes. “You just sounded so happy.”

“Aigoo, my son. Even if you don’t date, I’m still extremely proud of the both of you,” she said reassuringly. “Still hoping you end up together, though.”

“Mom, stop—“

“Just telling the truth,” Chanyeol’s mom shrugged. “Did I ever tell you that I fake-dated someone before? It’s true.”

“Uh, what?!” Chanyeol exclaimed in between his bites of kimbap.

“Oh wow, you haven’t shared this with me yet! I’d love to hear this,” Wendy said giddily.

“Well, Chanyeol’s father and I, we were already good friends then, and he just broke up with his girlfriend that time, and he had to attend many friends’ weddings and gatherings,” Chanyeol’s mother shared. “So he asked me to go with him, because he just had to go with a girl. You know men and their insecurities.”

“Being the nice friend that I was – who also happened to be bored at that time – I agreed, and I went to all those gatherings with him,” she continued. “And, well, long story short... we fell in love, and now we have you and your sister.”

Wendy suddenly grew stiff, and Chanyeol paused from his voracious eating.

“That’s fake news,” Chanyeol quipped.

“What?! Your father and I just never told you because you hate listening to our sentimental stories about us falling in love,” his mom answered. “Ask your sister. She knows that’s how it went down. Ask your aunts and uncles, even.”

“Okay, mom, even if that story is completely unrelated to anything we’re discussing now,” Chanyeol responded.

“Yeah, I think your mom’s just pointing out that their love story is a unique one that will probably never ever be replicated,” Wendy said nervously.

“Nah, my point is that you two could still end up together and I want that to happen,” Chanyeol’s mom teased the two.

“Mom, what?! You’re usually more discreet than this,” Chanyeol was feeling extreme secondhand embarrassment.

“Well, Wendy already knows how much I want you two to end up together, so what’s the point of trying to hide it, right?” his mom answered with a mischievous smile on her face.

“We’re really just best friends, and we’ll be best friends, uh, for life,” Wendy said, still feigning a smile.

“Well, Chanyeol’s father and I were still best friends until his very last breath,” she replied.

There was just no escaping from Chanyeol’s mom.

 

 

Chanyeol’s mother continued to tease the two all throughout lunch, but calmed down when Wendy and Chanyeol started sharing updates in their own lives and careers.

“Wendy-ah, have you told your parents about this yet?” Chanyeol’s mom asked. Wendy gulped.

“I don’t think the news has reached them yet,” Wendy answered politely. “They never read news about me, since they just end up worrying.”

“Still! Call them,” Chanyeol’s mom insisted.

“I don’t usually agree with my mom, but Wendy, you do need to tell them. It’s been what, two weeks?” Chanyeol commented while eating some of Wendy’s brownies.

“I promise, I’ll call them when I get home today,” Wendy said.

“Okay, that’s good to hear,” Chanyeol’s mom replied, then she proceeded to reprimand her son and hit his hand. “Chanyeol, stop eating my favorite brownies. Wendy made those for me, not for you!”

Wendy smiled at the two, but increasingly grew anxious with how she’ll tell her own parents.

 

 

After the three were done eating, Wendy helped Chanyeol’s mom wash the dishes and clean the table, while Chanyeol left some stuff in his room and cleaned it.

“Wendy-ah, I know I teased the both of you too much today, I was just being honest,” Chanyeol’s mother said to Wendy. “Chanyeol’s been through a lot the past year. I just want you to be by each other’s side, no matter what happens. You’re one of the best influences in Chanyeol’s life.”

Wendy paused from washing the dishes, took out her gloves, and hugged Chanyeol’s mom. “Thank you so much. I promise I’ll take care of him.”

“Aigoo, this is why I want you as my daughter-in-law,” Chanyeol’s mom laughed while rubbing Wendy’s back.

Chanyeol finally went down from his room on the second floor to their living room and saw Wendy and his mother looking emotional while hugging each other. He was somehow touched at the scene, but thought that Wendy was too goddamn kind; she was truly making things harder for the both of them. He’s sure his mom won’t stop until he and Wendy actually end up together.

“Mom, it’s past two already, and I have a meeting at 3:30 for the concert preparations,” Chanyeol said.

“It looks like we have to go now,” Wendy said apologetically to Chanyeol’s mom. “I’ll just finish washing these first.”

“It’s okay, Wendy, I can handle them!” Chanyeol’s mother responded. Wendy still insisted, and she finished cleaning the dishes.

A few minutes later, Wendy bid Chanyeol’s mom goodbye. While Wendy was busy putting on her sneakers and tying her laces, Chanyeol’s mother whispered something to him.

“Don’t ever, ever let her get hurt,” she said.

“Where did that come from?!” Chanyeol said, almost laughing in disbelief.

“Just speaking from my fake-dating experience,” his mom shrugged.

“But you and dad ended up together,” Chanyeol replied.

“Doesn’t mean no one got hurt in the process,” his mom answered wistfully. “Anyway, go! Wendy’s almost done putting on her shoes. I love you, take care and call me!”

“I love you mom, and I will call,” Chanyeol said as he exited their house and went to his car with his best friend.

 

 

As soon as Chanyeol and Wendy got in the car, the two released huge sighs of relief.

“That was easier than I expected,” Chanyeol quipped, and he started to drive.

“She’s so understanding, as always. Chanyeol, I really, really, love your mom,” Wendy said.

“It’s reciprocal. My mom loves you so much that she still literally wants you to be my wife,” Chanyeol replied, shaking his head.

“Don’t remind me,” Wendy said while scrunching her nose in disgust.

“What’s with the look on your face? I don’t think I would be that bad as a husband!” Chanyeol argued.

“Sure, you’ll most likely be a good husband or something, but like, the two of us? The thought just makes me nauseous,” Wendy said, feigning a puking sound.

“What? Don’t tell me you’ve never had a crush on me, you definitely did the first time we met—“ Chanyeol tried to answer.

“You’re so full of yourself! Did you not remember how annoyed I was, rather, I am with you?!” Wendy rolled her eyes.

“That doesn’t mean

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter