Roller Coasters

Forced to Date You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

A week after EXO’s promotions ended, SM artists were scheduled to go on a trip from Incheon to Los Angeles, just in time for their SMTown concert in the US.

 

Wendy and Chanyeol always sat together during these plane rides with both EXO and Red Velvet on – but Chanyeol felt extremely nervous this time, now that he’s realized that he was in love with his own damn best friend. He saw Wendy by an aisle seat (she never took the window seat – she didn’t like the sun), with an empty space beside her.

 

“This one free?” Chanyeol asked as he approached Wendy, pointing to the seat beside her. She rolled her eyes in return.

 

“Who else would it be free for?” Chanyeol felt a smile creeping to his lips, no matter how hard he tried to contain it. He put his bag into the overhead compartment and took his seat beside Wendy. Who else, no one else but him beside Wendy. Get a ing grip, Chanyeol thought to himself. He told himself to relax – it’s just Wendy (it’s always been Wendy).Goddammit.

 

“It’s been far too long since my last visit to LA. I’m so excited,” Wendy exclaimed as she grabbed Chanyeol’s shoulder out of enthusiasm. Chanyeol laughed with her.

 

“You’re just excited to go to Universal Studios for free. Admit it,” Chanyeol teased.

 

“Maybe I am. Who wouldn’t be excited to get a free ticket?!” Wendy said, incredulous. “But I still don’t understand why we’re going to Universal instead of, like, Disneyland.”

 

“Disneyland’s too busy,” Chanyeol shrugged. “There might be too many people.”

 

“I still don’t understand,” Wendy shook her head. “Zootopia is a Disney movie.” Chanyeol laughed out loud.

 

“I’ll only go to Disneyland once they get a Zootopia-themed ride, and they still haven’t got one after all these years,” Chanyeol muttered. “It’s a damn ing shame.”

 

Wendy laughed – this was one of her favorite Chanyeol traits. He takes his love for something – even for a cartoon – so seriously. “Still, you could see Nick and have a picture with him. You’re finally going to see the love of your life.”

 

Chanyeol snorted, but he was panicking deep inside. He loved Nick, but his thoughts just drifted to having the love of his life sitting right beside him. On the plane. Right now. “Nick’s fine and all, but Disney didn’t give me an annual pass, so...”

 

“Right. We go to wherever’s free. Like you couldn’t afford a ticket to Disneyland—“ Wendy rolled her eyes, but Chanyeol cut her off.

 

“Wait, do you not want to go with me?!” Chanyeol’s eyes widened, panic evident in his eyes.

 

“Of course I want to! Why would I refuse a free ticket?!” Wendy said as she lightly slapped Chanyeol’s shoulder.

 

“What, you’re just going because it’s free? Not because you missed your best friend or anything?” Chanyeol . Sure, he wasnervous, but it was still Wendy, and he loved to tease the out of her. And it was still the same, somehow.

 

“How am I going to miss you when you’re right beside me, teasing me like there’s no tomorrow?” Wendy rolled her eyes. “Go to sleep. The plane’s about to take off anyway.” Chanyeol didn’t need to be told twice – he was already extremely tired with the lack of sleep he’s had for the past weeks, and any time he could get some nap in, he’d take the chance.

 

It didn’t take long for Chanyeol to drift off, and soon, sleep took over his body. Wendy proceeded to plug her earphones in and listen to some music and closed her eyes, planning to get some sleep as well.

 

Five mellow songs and a lot of frustration later, Wendy sighed deeply. She couldn’t will herself to sleep; she was too aware of Chanyeol’s slight movements. As if reading her thoughts and teasing her, Chanyeol’s head eventually fell on Wendy’s shoulder. She froze, eyes widened. She never minded this before. But she guessed it was different now that she’s honest with her feelings. Just great, she thought. If she couldn’t keep her together now, what more on the going to the theme park thing? Did he plan to make her panic and faint out of sheer nervousness? Granted, they always went out together – sometimes with other people – when they went abroad, especially in Western countries. Wendy took in a deep breath, willing herself to relax. It’s just two best friends platonically going to a theme park, Wendy convinced herself.

 

But it just isn’t, and she knew it.

 

She decided to watch a movie instead to keep her mind off things, but of course the recommended movie was Zoofreakingtopia. Great. She liked the movie, anyway, and she needed whatever distraction she could get. By the end of the movie, she was a crying mess (animated movies just speak to her, okay?). She noticed Chanyeol stirring a bit, and she panicked, immediately closing her eyes and wrapping her blanket closer to her chest, pretending to sleep, hoping Chanyeol didn’t catch her staring at him nanoseconds ago.

 

Chanyeol woke up to a start when he realized that he slept on Wendy’s shoulder, immediately sitting up straight. He was afraid he might’ve woken up Wendy with his sudden movements, but it looked like she was sleeping like a baby – and it was just too much for him at this point. They always did this before – sleeping on the other’s shoulder/chest/lap – but never with the realization that oh, I’m in ing love with my best friend.

 

He stared softly at Wendy’s sleeping figure and smiled. He had no idea what he was going to do at the theme park, but well, it. He badly missed her after weeks of not really talking (mostly his fault for being a scaredy cat), and he wanted to spend time with his best friend. He was sure it was going to be nerve-wracking at some point (heck, just sitting beside her on a plane was making him jittery), and it might be awkward, but he wanted to enjoy himself. And maybe forget that he was in love with her just to make things easier for him (impossible). His closest friends insist that he should just confess to Wendy, as if it were the easiest thing to do in the world. Oh, did he want to – just to get it off his chest – but at the same time, he didn’t. Years of friendship down the drain? No, thank you.

 

Chanyeol let out a deep sigh and proceeded to watch Zootopia on his tablet. Nick and Judy could always distract him, even just for a few hours. Distracting him from the looming nightmare (or sweet dream, if he were lucky, but he highly doubted that) that he put himself in.

 

 

SM artists had a day to rest after arriving at LAX, and Wendy spent most of it trying to adjust her body to the new time zone. Seulgi, of course, already wanted to go out and explore and insisted that Wendy come with her, but Wendy always had her energy drained after long flights.

 

The next day, they immediately went into rehearsals, and Wendy felt thankful that she didn’t have to deal with a lot of Chanyeol randomly showing up at places. If she really put her mind to it (she did), she’d think that he was avoiding her, yet again. What the hell is wrong with him? Did she let on her feelings again? Did she say something during the plane ride? She didn’t think she did, but what did she know? Chanyeol had been so unreadable to her the past few weeks.

 

The day of the concert came, and Wendy was happy to perform an English song once again with Mark. She thought she did well (given that she only had three hours of sleep, thanks to thoughts of a certain guy filling her mind the night before), and she found Chanyeol at the backstage immediately after her performance, waiting for her.

 

“What are you doing here?” Wendy greeted Chanyeol, who suddenly stood up straight. “It’s not your performance yet!”

 

“Just wanted to see what was going on,” he answered nonchalantly.

 

“Right,” Wendy replied.

 

“I’m kidding,” Chanyeol smiled. “You did great. As always,” he stuttered a bit, thinking Wendy didn’t notice it (if she did, she didn’t let on).

 

“Thanks,” Wendy smiled shyly, hoping a blush wasn’t showing at her cheeks. Stop embarrassing yourself, Seungwan! “See you later. And tomorrow.”

 

“Yeah, I’ll be at the lobby by 8,” Chanyeol said.

 

“Isn’t that way too early for you?” Wendy scoffed.

 

“No way. I’m actually pretty excited to go to Universal, so you better wake up,” Chanyeol answered. “And we have to have breakfast. In-n-out. There’s got to be one open.”

 

“Fine, I’ll see you,” Wendy said, trying to bite her chee

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter