Revelations

Forced to Date You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Let’s just do it,” Wendy said, determined.

She had no idea what had gotten into her. Was she out of her damn mind? Sure, some of her fans were crazy and stalker-ish, but Chanyeol’s fans were of a different breed altogether.

But if Dispatch was already determined to release the photos, what else could they possibly do? It’s not like they had a choice in the matter. The directors just left the two of them to skirt some things out, but she highly doubted that the decision was entirely up to them.

Besides, who would believe that they were just best friends? Even her members doubted her; so did EXO. Seulgi had been questioning her relationship with Chanyeol since forever, and Suho, being the tease that he is, kept on telling them that she and Chanyeol would end up together somehow, someday. It seems Suho was right, then. It looks like she and Chanyeol are going to end up together, no matter how messy this whole fake-dating-because-of-ing-Dispatch-who-can’t-respect-their-privacy thing was.

Another factor was her breakup with Sunggyu. No matter how hard she tried, his face still kept on popping up in her head. Granted, it’s only been roughly a day since they broke up, and she was still feeling pretty devastated. She tried her best not to show her vulnerability to her members, but it was difficult. He left her, and no matter how much she wanted to get back together with him, she knew deep inside that it wasn’t possible anymore. He was going with that better, prettier girl – whoever she may be.

The ruckus that this scandal will cause will be overwhelming. She’s sure of it. But if it helps her forget the pain Sunggyu caused her, then she’ll just go through it. Whatever she’ll go through with Chanyeol’s fans – she didn’t think that they would cause her as much suffering as Sunggyu gave.

She had an idea how vicious fans could get. She even received so many negative comments just from performing ‘Stay With Me’ with Chanyeol for the SM Town concerts; and they even tried their hardest to pretend like they didn’t know each other in their performances (for the record, Chanyeol couldn’t keep himself from smiling, and she scolded him). She was there when Taeyeon and Baekhyun’s dating news came out, and she saw how devastated the two were to see how much the fans disapproved of their relationship, just because they loved each other.

But this was different, she thought. They weren’t actually dating anyway, and she thought of Chanyeol. Yes, she was doing it for herself, but she has always been concerned for her best friend. He was getting sick of the idol life, getting suffocated by his own fans who think he’s an object for them to own and control. He rebelled by partying every night, sleeping around and breaking girls’ hearts. Of course rumors started to spread, and the general public believed that he was a no-good playboy who had no regard for others’ feelings.

Wendy did try to tell Chanyeol’s sister several times, but she wouldn’t believe her. It only finally occurred to his sister when the blind items spread like wildfire, and everyone guessed it was Chanyeol. His sister was furious, and his mother, gravely disappointed. Chanyeol changed since then, but the rumors persisted, and his reputation was tarnished.

Wendy knew that she had a really good reputation in the public’s eyes, and if this helps Chanyeol recover his good image in any way, then she would help. What’s one more sacrifice to do, when that’s what she’s done all her life?

“Are you a hundred percent sure?” Chanyeol asked, still apprehensive.

The SM directors, followed by Wendy and Chanyeol’s managers, suddenly entered the room.

“I gather that you’ve probably reached a decision?” the PR director asked.

“We’re not entirely sure that this is the right thing to—“ Chanyeol tried to say, but Wendy interrupted him.

“We’ll do it,” Wendy said before Chanyeol could finish his protest. “We’ll announce that we’re dating.” Chanyeol stared at her, wide-eyed. He still couldn’t believe they’re actually doing this.

“Great. We’ll prepare a generic statement,” the marketing director said. “Oh, and maybe lock yourself in your dorm for a week or two.” The director tried to joke, but Wendy and Chanyeol were too spaced out to laugh.

“I was kidding. God. You may leave now,” the director said.

Wendy’s manager dragged her outside the room and they walked straight into their van.

“ just got real, and it’s about to hit the fan,” her manager said.

“No ,” Wendy answered. “This is really happening. Why did I do that?! Why didn’t you stop me?!” Wendy was suddenly panicking, realizing the gravity of what they just did.

“You looked determined. Wendy, I’m going to be honest. It’s going to be rough, but I’ll do my best to protect you, okay? I’m sure Chanyeol will, too,” her manager attempted to comfort her. “And sorry but Chanyeol’s manager and I were snooping just outside the room. You were perfectly reasonable. It’s what you have to do. Dispatch will release the pictures anyway. At least you get to control the narrative somehow. Now you just have to tell the members.”

“Aren’t they filming right now? I wasn’t even able to tell them that I wouldn’t be able to film with them,” she said, worried.

“I already called the show’s PD, and it’s fine. I’ll drop you off at the apartment building, and you wait for them. Explain what’s going to happen, okay?”

 

 

Wendy was pacing around the dining area. She already shed some tears over Sunggyu for some time, slept for a good two hours, and she has already prepared five bowls of bibimbap for all five Red Velvet members, but she still couldn’t sit still. It’s been almost twelve hours. Where the hell are they? She tried messaging them on KakaoTalk, but they weren’t replying, which either means they’re already near the building or they’ve been kidnapped.

She was mentally preparing her speech to the members, memorizing it word for word. She was startled when her phone rang. Chanyeol.

“What?” Wendy said, annoyed with the interruption.

“Well, that’s one way of greeting your now-boyfriend—“ Chanyeol said playfully.

“Ugh, stop. What is it?” Wendy was in a hurry, thinking that her members might come any time soon.

“Have you told your members yet?”

“Not yet. I’ll tell them tonight when they come home from filming, which is why I’m having difficulty breathing right now. You?”

“Tonight, too. But I’m not sure if everyone will be there. Probably Suho, Sehun, Kai...” He paused. “I’ve probably said this a million times now, but I still can’t believe we’re doing this,” Chanyeol said.

“Chanyeol, you’re not really helping with the nerves, ya know,” Wendy answered.

Chanyeol laughed. Only Wendy could make him laugh at a time like this. “Seungwan-ah, good luck, okay? I’ll call you again.”

“You always do, anyway. Bye.”

Just as Wendy put her phone down, her members entered the dining area.

“This smells so good, unni!” Yeri exclaimed, sitting down in a hurry to eat her bibimbap. The other members followed except Wendy. She was still standing up, unsure how to announce the news to the other members.

“Hey, what’s wrong?” Irene asked. “Did anything happen with Sunggyu again? Can the four of us just go raid his apartment and ruin everything? I hate him so much.”

“It’s not Sunggyu...” Wendy whispered.

“What is it? Wendy, you know we’re always worried about you. Sit down and tell us what’s bothering you,” Seulgi said.

“Uh, I have something to announce,” Wendy stuttered nervously. “Uh, in a few days, you’ll probably receive news that Chanyeol and I are dating—“

Joy spit her water. “Unni, what the hell!” Yeri screamed while laughing, as Joy’s water got onto Yeri’s arms and legs.

“Chanyeol? You? Dating? I mean, we’ve always wanted the both of you to end up together, but isn’t it too soon?!” Irene exclaimed, incredulous.

“What?! You want us to end up together?! I know Chanyeol’s my best friend and all, but that’s disgusting! I can never imagine ending up with him, what the hell—“ Wendy was on a roll.

“You literally just said that you were dating,” Seulgi replied.

“No, what

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter