Memories, Anxieties, and Brownies

Forced to Date You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“ARE YOU INSANE?” Wendy screamed at Chanyeol’s face.

“I know. I might be,” Chanyeol admitted.

“You know I love your mom, Chanyeol. So we go there and tell her we’re dating and what, we just disappoint her in the end by telling her OH it was all fake and we really did it to save ourselves and because we were forced to do it—“ Wendy couldn’t stop her barrage.

“I get it, I’m stupid,” Chanyeol interrupted Wendy’s monologue. “I don’t know what I was thinking. You’re right. , don’t know why I even thought that. Thank God you’re smart.”

“I can’t believe you really thought that. We’re already being forced to date, and I don’t want you riding in on it. The last thing I want to do is hurt your mom, you know that,” Wendy answered.

“But what do we say then? I don’t exactly know how to say this. She’ll be disappointed either way,” Chanyeol sighed.

Wendy just stared back at him. She had no clue on how to tell Chanyeol’s mom.

“Can we really not do it? Just one weekend—“ Chanyeol tried to convince Wendy. He was torn. He knew how much his mom loved Wendy, and hearing her voice crack because she was crying out of happiness because of the dating news... it was too much for him. He knew she had been praying for Wendy and him to end up together. How does he tell her that, first of all, it’s all fake, when he’d already disappointed her too much this year? He knew his mom was affected by all the rumors, and the stress and anxiety were catching up with her. It didn’t help that it was Wendy whom he had a dating scandal with. He still had no idea why his mom badly wanted him to marry her or something. It must be Wendy’s ing brownies. He’s almost sure she put some magical in them whenever she bakes for his mom.

Just when Wendy was about to throw her pillow to hit Chanyeol, her apartment door opened.

“Wendy-ah, I’m sorry I took a while—“ Seulgi entered and didn’t notice Chanyeol at first. “I was trying to strategize with our manager on how to handle—“ Seulgi finally saw Chanyeol, looking like a scared kid about to get hit by Wendy. “Oh hi, Chanyeol, you’re here. I’ll see myself out.” Seulgi said with a knowing smile on her face.

“No, you just got here! Seulgi, wait—“ Wendy tried to prevent Seulgi from going.

“It’s okay, Seulgi, I was just about to go,” Chanyeol said, standing up from the couch. Seulgi then proceeded to awkwardly pretend to look for food in the fridge, not wanting to interrupt Wendy and Chanyeol.

He faced Wendy and put his hands on her small shoulders. “Next Saturday, alright? I really need to bring you home. It’s been a while, anyway, and they miss you, probably more than they miss me,” Chanyeol said. “Let’s just plan it out when we get there.” Wendy pouted.

“Fine, let’s talk about it until the day finally arrives and we panic,” she responded. Chanyeol smiled at her.

“Stop worrying, we’ll find ways. Anyway, got to go. Talk to you later, okay? Change your ing number,” Chanyeol said as he was walking toward the entrance to Wendy’s apartment.

“I will. Be careful. Wear your shades and your cap and your mask and—“ Chanyeol was already out of her apartment before she could finish her sentence.

Seulgi finally stopped acting like she was looking for food and closed the door to their refrigerator. She walked toward the sofa to sit beside Wendy. “So, bringing you home, huh?” Seulgi teased inquisitively. “What’s that all about?”

Wendy sighed. “It’s his mom. She really thinks we’re dating. And according to Chanyeol she was so happy she cried.”

“Oh no,” Seulgi interjected.

“You got that right. Then Chanyeol asked if we could pretend for like, one weekend. When we go to his family’s place,” Wendy continued.

“Oh no—“ Seulgi said once more.

“Yep. He’s insane. I mean, I love his family, but wouldn’t that hurt them more once they find out it’s all fake?” Wendy asked Seulgi genuinely.

“You know, I’m not sure. Because I do think his mom will still love you even when she finds out,” Seulgi answered.

“But I don’t think it has to come to that, no? I just... don’t want to hurt her even more. She’s like my own mom already. Chanyeol is out of his mind, that’s for sure,” Wendy added.

“I still don’t understand how you guys ended up as best friends, to be honest. You’re so rational and cautious, Chanyeol’s just... uh, going with the flow,” Seulgi commented, shrugging.

“I don’t understand it, either,” Wendy said jokingly.

Their relationship was difficult to explain to other people. Wendy’s members told her that countless guys had refrained from asking her out, simply because Chanyeol was always there (behind the scenes, never in front of the camera... until a few days ago, at least). Seulgi told her that almost every guy in SM thought that Wendy was off-limits because of Chanyeol, which, of course, frustrated her to no end when she found out about it. Maybe that’s why Sunggyu had the courage to ask her out; he was from a different agency.

Chanyeol already debuted with EXO/EXO-K when she arrived in Seoul. Going to Seoul to pursue her dreams was one of the craziest things she had ever done. Sure, going to the auditions in the States was one thing, but actually going to South Korea, all alone, was something else entirely.

She mostly kept to herself at first. She felt extremely insecure and alone: everyone was talented and pretty, and she was conscious of how she looked. It didn’t help that her support system, her family, was not with her.

She was still adjusting back to the Korean way of doing things, after years of growing up Westernized. Her parents instilled proper Korean manners at home, but it still was a huge change for Wendy when she actually arrived in Korea.

She wasn’t really the type to go out with friends, which is why she didn’t really have friends when she first came to Seoul. She’d rather stay at the music studio. And that’s where Chanyeol came into her life. Literally.

She was practicing some songs in one of the older, less polished SM studios – primarily because rarely, or more accurately, never – do people go to that place, when Chanyeol came in. She was so immersed in her singing and playing the guitar that she didn’t hear him enter. It was only when she finished her song did she notice him – he was clapping and congratulating her.

“That was really good,” Chanyeol said. Wendy bowed immediately and introduced herself.

“I’m Wendy – my English name. I didn’t notice you there,” Wendy said. “I’m usually alone here.”

“Well, that’s one way of greeting your sunbae,” Chanyeol laughed. “But actually this is my place. No one really comes here, because everyone knows it’s where I practice. Except you, I guess.” Wendy felt slightly embarrassed.

“I’m really sorry, I had no idea,” Wendy said apologetically. Deep inside, she was annoyed with the guy. How can he claim a practice studio that was meant for everyone to use? “It’s not like you had your name on the door or something—“ Wendy blurted out before she could stop herself. She put a hand on in shock when she realized what she just said.

“Well, you’re an honest one. Well, I’m not giving up this place. It’s mine,” Chanyeol refuted.

Wendy looked at him in disbelief, trying her best to contain her annoyance. “I’ll get going. Sorry, sunbae-nim,” she said sincerely.

Chanyeol suddenly burst out of laughter. “I’m kidding, you can stay. It’s just that I liked this place since no one really came here, and I thought I had it to myself. It’s just that we’ve been busy with our debut and I kinda neglected this place,” Chanyeol explained. “I guess I’ll just have to share from now on,” he added.

Wendy suddenly felt a mixture of confusion and nervousness. She did disrespect her senior.

“I really am sorry,” Wendy explained. “You don’t have to share the studio with me. It’s a huge building anyway.”

“Look, it’s fine. It seems like you grew attached to the room, t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter