Chapter 10

Life (A Sequel to (No) Life)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jae Min’s pov

I was stuck at home. I was afraid to go out. When I needed some food, I ordered it and collected it at the receptionist desk. Nana wrote me few times to check if I’m okay. She had to hire a new employee instead of me because they needed someone to fill my place. I totally understood. But it was sad that I lost the job I liked and couldn’t see my friends.

I was watching TV when my phone rang.

“Hello?”

“Jae Min? Hey, I haven’t seen you for long time. How are you?”

“Oh, Hyun Suk. I’m… fine.”

“It seems like you left the café. I haven’t seen you around. Anyway, I just thought we could meet somewhere and go for dinner or something. What do you think?”

“I’m not sure…”

“C’mon! Let’s just have some fun.”

“I’m not really in the mood—“

“How long are you planning to hide?”

“I…”

“Nothing will happen to you, I promise. I’ll protect you. I just want you to go out and have some fun. I bet you’re just at home. I’m worried about you.”

I sighed. “O-Okay. I’ll go…”

 

We met in front of the cinema. The movie was a comedy but I couldn’t bring myself to smile.

Once it finished we went for dinner. I went to the restroom. I washed my hands and as I was leaving, one of the toilet’s door opened and the nurse came out. I frowned and left quickly. I didn’t like that woman and I didn’t want to be near her.

After diner we went to the near park and walked. It was dark and cold. I could be masked without looking suspicious.

“Are you cold? Should I take you home?”

“No, I’m okay.”

“Okay…”

We sat on the bench and talked. Hyun Suk was asking me if I weren’t cold and said he would take me home. But I couldn’t let him take me home. I wasn’t supposed to tell anyone where I lived. He was a friend and I believed him but I didn’t want to break the promise I gave to Jongin.

At one point I started to be really cold and all I wanted was to go home. But how…?

I looked around while I was thinking. My eyes stopped on one person. Nurse. She was looking at me with narrow eyes. I wanted to tell Hyun Suk she was there but she walked away.

“Okay, let’s go,” he said and stood up. “I’ll walk you home.”

“You really don’t have to…”

“It’s late, I’m not letting you go alone.”

I bit my lip. I knew he won’t give up so easily. We left the park. I noticed the bus stop on the other side of the road, probably 50m from us. I saw the bus coming and at that moment the plan popped in my mind.

“Hyun Suk, I’m sorry to trouble you but could you go and buy me a water? I’m a bit thirsty.”

“Oh, yes, sure. I’ll be right back,” he said and walked away. I took this chance and run across the street towards the bus stop. He noticed it and run after me, shouting.

I waved at the driver to wait for me and told him to go as soon as I got in. I turned around and watched Hyun Suk shouting outside, while bus was moving and drove off. I paid and went to sit.

I’m sorry, Hyun Suk.

 

I got home safely. I haven’t see any reporters so hopefully they weren’t stalking me. I was well masked but… they were unpredictable.

 

I changed my clothes and cuddled into the blanket on the sofa. I looked at the mobile phone. No messages or missed calls from Jongin. Only from Hyun Suk. I’m sure he was surprised but I had no other choice. No one can know where I live now…

Kai was banned from group activities. I felt terrible. I felt like it was my fault and there was nothing I could do about it. I hugged the pillow and closed my eyes. Why is it so difficult to date an idol?

 

I had a weird dream that night. A nurse was following me everywhere. She was watching me with narrow eyes and always called with someone. In the end, reporters came to me and she smirked.

I woke up and was breathing fast. I looked around and noticed I was sleeping on sofa all night. I was sweaty so I went to take a shower right away.

I brushed my teeth, put towel around my body and was drying my hair when something popped in my mind. That dream… could it be real? That nurse… she was looking at Jongin strangely even back then when I was a ghost and he came to check my body in the hospital. And when I got discharged, every time I saw her, the reporters showed up. When I went to hospital for check-ups, when she came to the café… And yesterday… were there reporters too? I haven’t seen any but I couldn’t be 100% sure they weren’t there. I got angry. She definitely had something to do with all this mess we were in. Maybe she was the blackmailer…? I put clothes on and left the flat.

I went to the hospital. My phone rang when I was just few metres away from the entrance. I looked at the screen.

“Oh, Jongin? Do you need anything?”  I asked quickly.

“No, not r

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter