Yes

Still in Love

Jaejoong woke sometime later to an empty apartment. Changmin had not returned yet. He sat up on the sofa and looked about the quiet apartment. His head hurt. Changmin must have some aspirin here somewhere in the apartment. He thought.

 

He went to the bathroom and caught his reflection in the mirror. His face was still a bit swollen and the bruising seemed to have gotten darker. He looked away. How long will this last? He wondered.

 

He quickly looked behind the mirror and he found some aspirin. He took a few tablets and went back to the sofa. How late was it? He looked for his phone but remembered he left it in his car. The clock on the wall in the kitchen read that it was just past noon. He took his aspirin and leaned against the counter. What was he going to do? What was left to do? He wasn’t going back to Yihan especially not after last night. He had to leave but his things are still there.

 

Jaejoong sighed. Maybe he could go there tomorrow when Yihan was at work. It wouldn’t take long to get them. He ran his hands through his hair and saw the gleam of the ring on his finger. He looked to the metal on his finger. This was something he would have to return too. Maybe he could just leave it behind.

 

He slid the band off of his finger and left it in his pocket. He did not want to look at it anymore or relive some of the good memories he had with someone who was monster like.

 

How could he fool himself like this for so long? What would have happened if he married him? What kind of man would he have been then?

 

Jaejoong shook those thoughts away before leaving the kitchen. He just needs to get out of the situation.

 

He wandered to Changmin’s room and found clothes before he left to shower.

 

Hours had passed and Changmin finally came back.

 

“You are still here?” Changmin stepped out of his shoes.

 

Jaejoong looked up from his phone screen. “Yeah I borrowed your clothes.”

 

“That’s fine.” He went to the couch were Jaejoong sat and sat next to him. “What are you gonna do next?” He asked.

 

Jaejoong shrugged his shoulders. “I don’t know really. I do need to get my things from there. I can’t wear your clothes forever. I have to return that ring too.”

 

“I’ll go with you when you do. I don’t want you two alone together.” Changmin got up.

 

“It’s fine. I can go myself tomorrow when he is at work. I don’t have much there. Besides who will watch the bakery?” Jaejoong turned his phone off.

 

“We will go at noon. Kyuhyun can handle without us for an hour. We will get your things and leave.” Changmin lazily watched the television with Jaejoong.

 

They remained like this for some time before Changmin turned to Jaejoong.

 

“Jaejoong, Can I ask you something?” He asked.

 

Jaejoong nodded. “What do you want to ask?”

 

“Did all this happen because I made you go with Yunho?” Changmin lowered his gaze to his hands in his lap.

 

Jaejoong looked over to his friend. “No. Don’t blame yourself. Yihan has always been like this. He has a bad day at work and would hit me. I would get the dinner wrong and he would hit me. None of this is your fault. It is his fault.” Jaejoong sighed. “I can’t believe I thought he would change. I loved him so much I believed him when he would say it would not happen again. It wasn’t until he was on top of me and tearing at my clothes did I realize it would only get worse if I married him.” He reached for his friend’s hand and gave it a small squeeze. “You gave me the strength to fight back. Don’t ever blame yourself for any of this.” He smiled before he pulled away his hand and returned to watching the television.

 

Jaejoong could never blame Changmin for what happened the night before. He is just happy that his friend helped him get out of it and grateful for him. Someone else would’ve just quit being friends with him a long time ago.

 

The next day came quick and before he knew it he was in the elevator of his building. Changmin was with him. He was glad changmin came. The could see his reflection in the metal walls. The bruising got darker but the swelling had gone down some.

 

Jaejoong was nervous but he will do this quickly. They have to because Kyuhyun was at the bakery alone. He didn’t want to leave a newbie alone for too long.

 

When the elevator stopped Jaejoong was the first to leave it. He walked quickly to the apartment door. He didn’t want to run into a neighbor that might come out. The door unlocked with his key. Honestly Jaejoong was half expecting Yihan to change the locks.

 

They entered the apartment and found it cleaned and without Yihan. Jaejoong went for the bedroom. He didn’t look at the bed instead went for the closet and got his clothes. He threw them to the bed and Changmin packed them into a bag. He grabbed everything that was his and left anything that Yihan had given him. He just needs a clean break from him. He doesn’t need any reminders.

 

Soon everything was packed and changmin left with it downstairs. Just a bag left that Jaejoong was going to carry. He took a moment too look around the bedroom. He saw his picture with Yihan. There was an album in the drawer of the bedside table. He went to sit on the bed and pulled the album from the drawer. He looked through it. There were pictures of him and Yihan holding each other and smiling. There was pictures of their first date to their one year anniversary. To anyone else these pictures showed a happy and loving couple but Jaejoong knew otherwise. The anniversary picture, he could almost see the faint bruising on his face.

 

He pulled every picture out of the album and tore his image from every picture. He left the remained pieces on the bed. He went for his bag and started to leave but stopped at the door. He looked back once more. The echoes of all the vile words he had spit at him resonated within those walls. He didn’t want to take to long. He threw the ring on the bed with the torn pictures and left.

 

Hours later Jaejoong sat on the bed of his new room when his phone vibrated with a message. He saw Yihan’s name. He didn’t bother reading the message. Instead he turned his phone off and threw it to the side. He needs to be completely free from him.


 

The days passed and soon Jaejoong was ready to return to work. The swelling had gone down entirely and the bruising was nearly gone. It just looked like a dark spot under his eyes. Yihan messaged him a few more times but he didn’t bother to answer him at all.

 

He worked on baking cakes instead of being in front of the store until the bruising has gone completely away. Kyuhyun didn’t ask any question and just accepted it as it is. He was happy that Jaejoong was back too. It’s seems Changmin had overworked him in the days he was gone.

 

It’s been a long while since Jaejoong just got to focus on baking. He spent the entire day making cakes, muffins, and pastries. He enjoyed it and was happier than he has been in the past few days or even month.

 

He baked the whole day away and soon it was closing time. Kyuhyun had left already. Changmin was busy cleaning in the back and Jaejoong was tidying up in the front of the bakery when he heard the bell above the door ring. He didn’t bother to look up.

 

“I’m sorry we are closed. Please come back tomorrow.” Jaejoong said without leaving the counter he was wiping off.

 

“I will be too busy to come back tomorrow.” It was that voice.

 

Jaejoong looked up. “Yunho?” He stepped away from the counter. “What are you doing here?”

 

“Jaejoong?” Changmin came from the back. “Yunho?”

 

“Hi Changmin.” Yunho waved at him weakly.

 

“Can I speak to you about something?” He asked Jaejoong.

 

“Jaejoong we should be going home soon.” Changmin waved at Yunho and looked to Jaejoong concerned.

“Umm.” Jaejoong hesitated.

 

“I am leaving back to America. I thought I come to say goodbye.” Yunho tried to smile.

 

“I’ll just walk him to his car. I’ll be a few minutes. Can you check to see if the orders for tomorrow are ready?” Jaejoong walked to Yunho and left with him.

 

They were outside. The day began to cool but it still felt hot. Yunho looked to Jaejoong and he saw the fading bruise under his eyes.

 

“What happened?” He asked as he pointed to Jaejoong’s eye.

 

“Oh.” Jaejoong hid the bruise behind his hand. “I was reaching for a cookie sheet on the top shelf and it just slipped from my hand.”

 

“Does it hurt?” He looked worried.

 

Jaejoong shook his head. “So you are really leaving?” He asked in a desperate attempt to change the subject.

 

“Yeah. I have to go back for a few months to finish the business there.” Yunho looked to Jaejoong.

 

“How long will you be there?” He pulled his hand away from his face.

 

“It could be three months or six. I am not quite sure. There’s a lot of factors to consider.” Yunho stopped when they reached his car.

 

“When are you leaving?” He turned to look at the ground.

 

“In a few days. I already finished my work here. I am sort of on vacation. I visited my mother for a bit and spent some time with some friends but I am going to relax for a few days. I am tired of sitting in meetings and discussing budgets and such. I haven’t really gotten a vacation in years. So this will be interesting to not be interrupted and jumping into a suit and tie every time.” Yunho laughed.

 

“I know the feeling. Since leaving that world for this, I am much more happier. I especially like not having to get into a suit in tie every morning.” Jaejoong smiled.

 

Yunho nodded. “So you understand.”

 

“Well here you are.” Jaejoong looked to the car.

 

“I was hoping despite our past that we could at least still be friends.” Yunho reached into his pocket and pulled out a card and gave it to Jaejoong.

 

“What is this?” Jaejoong studied the card. It was a card from a hotel.

 

“My phone number. It’s for…” He hesitated and sighed. “It’s foolish of me to think you’ll leave him for me. It’s also pathetic to keep asking. My number is there in the off chance that maybe one day you want to go have coffee or if you want to chat.”

 

Jaejoong studied the card a bit more. So many thoughts came to his mind. He just got out of a horrible relationship. He shouldn’t just be jumping into another one especially with his ex-husband.

 

“I don’t think I can take this.” He handed the card back.

 

Yunho hung his head low and let out a low sigh. He nodded and looked up after a moment. “I understand.” He took the card back. “I am glad I came back here. I am glad I got to see you again. I never imagined I’d meet you.”

 

Jaejoong lips formed a smiled but he didn’t feel happy. He pulled Yunho into an embrace. He held him tightly.

 

“This isn’t goodbye. You know where I’ll be.” Jaejoong pulled away.

 

Yunho nodded before he took Jaejoong’s hand and pulled it to his lips. His lips barely touch his hand before he pulled away.

 

“I wish you great happiness in you next marriage. I hope he knows just how precious you are. I am sorry I can’t be there.” He let go of Jaejoong’s hand. “Bye.” He got into his car.

 

Jaejoong turned away because he couldn’t stand to see him leave again. The happiness from a few minutes ago seemed so far away now. Instead he was crowded by a fog of uncertainty. He returned to the bakery and found Changmin waiting for him at the door.

 

“Are you okay?” He asked.

 

Jaejoong took a moment to think. “I don’t know.” He paused as he felt a heaviness in his chest. He contemplated on telling Changmin the truth. He took a breath. “That day when I left with him he asked me to go back to him. He still wants me. Today he asked me again.”

 

“But you said no?” Changmin could see the weight on his friend’s shoulders.

 

“How can I possibly go back to him with a bruised face?” Jaejoong asked.

 

“Do you still love him?” Changmin leaned against the door.

 

“It’s not that simple.” He went to the back.

 

“It is. Yihan was an obstacle but he isn’t anymore. What else is there?” Changmin followed.

 

“I don’t know.” Jaejoong shrugged his shoulders. “I don’t deserve him anymore.”

 

Changmin stopped Jaejoong. “That is a lie and you know it. If he makes you happy and you make him happy than you both deserve each other. There must be a reason that he came back at this moment in your life. There has to be and as your friend I don’t want to see you sacrificing yourself for others. You did that enough for Yihan. Now put yourself first and demand your happiness.”

 

“You make it sound so easy. How do you get a beaten dog to trust so easily?” Jaejoong pulled away.

 

“You’re not a beaten dog.” Changmin followed after him.

 

“Stop it Changmin. This is making my head hurt. I just want to go home and relax. Can’t I do that?” Jaejoong left through back door and got into his car.

 

Changmin got in too. They have been driving together since Jaejoong moved in. They remained silent the entire car ride. Jaejoong’s mind replaying Changmin’s words.

 

Do you still love him?

.

..

.

Yes….