BFF

Crushes

Wonpil’s phone rang for the hundredth times as far as he can remember. His heavy bass ringtone, a song called 'What Can I Do by a band named Day6 was already too familiar to his ears. He knew who had been trying to reach him for the whole day. There were some calls from his classmates probably want to ask why he did not come to school today but most of the calls are definitely from the person he did not want to talk to right now.

He had been locking himself in his room since yesterday. His mum was already giving up from persuading him to go out and she just leaves him alone as she figured up that he might need his time alone.

A soft knock on his bedroom door indicated that someone was still not giving up from bothering him. “Leave me alone”, he said, tiredly. He did not even bother to come out from his blanket.

“It’s me, Sungjin,” a soft raspy voice belongs to his best friend can be heard from behind the door. Wonpil quickly threw the blanket that covered his whole body in shock. The last person that he wanted to see in this situation was here. The person who made the most calls to his phone today was here.  The person who was the reason of his sadness was here.In front of his freaking bedroom.  He froze because he did not know what to do. Usually, his best friend will not be bothered to knock the door before entering but maybe things change after what happened yesterday.

“I’m going in”, the voice continued. When he stepped into the bedroom, their eyes met. Sungjin proceeded to sit on his best friend’s bed while eyeing the smaller boy’s bedroom that seems messier than usual.

He lets out a small sighed and said, “Let’s go eat. Your mum said you haven’t eaten yet today. Go change, I’ll wait for you downstairs”. Wonpil just nodded at his words and Sungjin stepped out of the room. Wonpil almost stumbled while searching for his sweater and quickly makes his way downstairs.

He found his mother conversing with Sungjin as usual. Sungjin was always here so his mother already grows fond of him.

“Finally, you are out of the precious bedroom of yours”, his mother said when she realized that her son was standing on the stairs quietly. Wonpil just glared at his mother and then Sungjin grabbed him by his sleeve and said, “Mother, we are going”.

“Alright, take care of each other”, his mother replied and with a small nod, they are on their way to a diner that is nearby. 

Their walk to the diner was quiet as both of them were contemplating on what to say to each other. They met each other at school yesterday but it seems like they haven’t met for such a long time. 

Sungjin ordered their foods and they sat down facing each other. After a few minutes of silence, both of them cleared their throat.

“About yesterday”, both of them uttered the same words at the same time and their eyes met.

“You first”, Wonpil said.

“Alright, I’m sorry—

“What? I’m the one who supposed to say that—

“It’s me. It’s my entire fault—

Wonpil sighed and stared at his best friend. “It’s our fault. I’m sorry I yelled at you yesterday”, he said with his sad eyes looking at his so-called best friend.

“I’m sorry I left you alone yesterday. I’m sorry I raised my voice at you. I’m sorry I didn’t fulfill my promise”, Sungjin responded guiltily. 

Their food arrived right when Sungjin finished his words. They waited until the waiter left and Wonpil focused on gulping down his food as he was very hungry after locking himself up all day long and he also did not know what to respond to Sungjin’s words.

Sungjin snorted as he saw his best friend literally inhaling the food. Realizing that, Wonpil slowed down his eating pace and hid his face in embarrassment.

“It’s okay. Eat. Just make sure you chew it properly otherwise you will choke”, Sungjin said but it is too late. When Sungjin finished his words Wonpil already gasping for air as he already choked on his food. Sungjin quickly hands water to the smaller guy and when Wonpil recovered from his choking, their eyes met and they started laughing.

The tension from the before was nowhere to be found. They are back to the way they were before and both of them like it. Or maybe Wonpil like it more?

 

to be continued.......