Eye Eye Eyes (Dayeon)

My Twice One-Shot Collection

A/N: This seems pretty unrealistic but it was actually 100% based on a set of journal entries from my 7th grade diary, every event here actually happened and was narrated by 13 year old me. I thought it was a cute concept so I chose it as my first story for this one-shot collection. Dahyun kind of reminds me of my younger self.

 


 

“I’m telling you, she’s everywhere!”

 

“What does that even mean?”

 

“I don’t know, its just… everywhere I go, I see her!”

 

“But she’s a senior, the only thing we share is a building and we don't even have classes on the same floor”

 

“Ever since that day we sat next to each other at last Wednesday’s mass, I began to notice her around me a lot”

 

Dahyun and Eunbi were in the middle of their usual gossip, they were assigned washing duties at home ec. and had stayed behind to make sure everything was spotless.

 

“You’re serious? I honestly had totally forgotten about her. Now that I think about it, I don’t remember seeing her around last year”

 

“That’s cause she went abroad for the past two years, to a boarding school in Boston” Dahyun explained.

 

“Seriously?” Eunbi whistled. “wow, i’m honestly shocked she even came back”

 

“I know right!?” Dahyun said a little too excited. Eunbi stared at her, slightly confused by her friends enthusiasm, especially since they shared a pretty awkward past. Dahyun noticed this as well and turned her back to her friend so she wouldn’t see her blushing in embarrassment.

 

“Anyway, how do you know?”

 

Dahyun bit her lip, there were two alternative stories for that. The story she was gonna tell Eunbi: that Eunseo told them about it since their sisters are close friends; or the actual story: that Dahyun had stalked her Facebook profile.

 

“Eunseo told me” Dahyun lied, and with that, Eunbi understood. Eunseo was a big fan of bragging about her senior friends since they [freshmen] were usually looked down on by the seniors. Eunseo’s sister, Hyunjung was really popular and being the sociable person Eunseo was, she took advantage of that to become friends with the older kids.

 

“Oh,” Eunbi nodded, concentrated on the floor she was mopping. “maybe you’re just imagining it, cause you still feel awkward around her”

 

“That might be true,” Dahyun thought out loud. "but..."

 

Back when Dahyun was in third grade, she had met Im Nayeon because she was close friends with Jisoo and Namjoo who used follow her around cause they found her amusing. One time, Nayeon tagged along and a shameless 9 year old Dahyun told her that she didn’t want to talk to her because she looked like a girl she disliked. After that day, every time Dahyun saw her, she’d glare at her. What was she even thinking? Dahyun’s ears turned pink just from thinking about it.

 

“I swear that’s not it!” Dahyun suddenly cried, trying to block out a very embarassing flashback. “Let’s get going or we’ll be late for class”

 

As they were about to exit, the entrance door opened and three girls came in, one of them was Im Nayeon. Eunbi and Dahyun looked at each other, then back at the girl, then at each other again.

 

“Oh my gosh, Dahyun! What the ” Eunbi muttered with gritted teeth.

 

“Language! and right? it's so creppy"

 

They left the classroom, poking each other in the gut. Dahyun swore she could hear Nayeon's giggles even after closing the door to the kitchen.

 

 


 

 

The next day, Eunbi, Dahyun and Yewon were sitting in front of their classroom eating their lunch, talking about homework and normal school stuff when they suddenly heard a loud scream. Behind them was senior Kim Jisoo, laying on the ground as her friends Jennie and Nayeon laughed and made fun of her.

 

“They’re really loud” Yewon pointed out, deep in thought as she took a bite out of her sandwich.

 

“I saw Nayeon during eucharistical hour, she was sitting next to me but she was secretly using her phone, I think she was just being there as an excuse to skip class” Eunbi told Dahyun who nodded. “I never really noticed how much i saw her around until you pointed it out!”

 

“What do you mean?” Yewon asked.

 

“Isn’t it creepy?” Dahyun agreed, "it almost seems like… like she’s everywhere!”

 

“I’m starting to think I’m crazy!” Eunbi laughed. “now I look for her everywhere!”

 

“Who are we talking about?” Yewon once again asked.

 

“Me too!”

 

“Guys!” Yewon stood up and began walking away. “I see there’s no point in me being here anymore since I’m not invited into this conversation”

 

Dahyun and Eunbi were too busy watching Jennie and Nayeon playfully kick Jisoo who was still laying on the floor screaming to notice. Dahyun observed how in an attempt to pull her down, Jisoo tugged on the ribbon in Nayeon's hair which just untied itself and fell off, Nayeon proceeded to fight her for it.

 

Nayeon would always wear a light blue ribbon on her hair. It was against the rules to wear anything that wasn’t in the school colors (red, green and marine blue) but Nayeon didn’t seem to care. Dahyun thought Nayeon was cool, not caring about the rules and all. Eunbi began to giggle as Jennie pushed Nayeon down and she fell over Jisoo.

 

Nayeon is really pretty, Dahyun thought, she thought black hair looked really good on her and the way it covered part of her face made her look sort of…

 

“Oh!” Dahyun mumbled, covering with one of her hands, blushing lightly.

 

“What’s wrong?” Eunbi asked, turning her attention back to Dahyun. “Oh! where did Yewon go?”

 

Neither of them knew were Yewon went.

 


 

After that day, Dahyun definitely stumbled upon her more often, whether it was when she was arriving at school or leaving; she noticed they had the same water bottle, this made her think twice when her mother asked her if she wanted to get a new one; she even tripped on her leg once when she was walking to the teachers lounge early in the morning before classes started, she apologized awkwardly as a sleepy Nayeon mumbled that it was okay.

 

Eunbi seemed to be having the same problem as her so one day as a joke, Dahyun suggested they’d play a game to see who saw her more often.

 

“it’s like finding Waldo but…in real life” Dahyun explained.

 

“Sounds fun! but how are we gonna keep track of the points?” Eunbi thought out loud. “What about yelling a code word? we can keep daily track on a notebook”

 

“Oh i know!” Dahyun exclaimed. “Fin!”

 

“Fin?”

 

“Found Im Nayeon” Dahyun explained. “Whoever sees her, has to yell it and whoever yells it first gets the point. That way we wont be arguing over who saw her first”

 

“Makes sense” Eunbi nodded.

 

If there was one thing that had to be made clear about Eunbi was the fact that she was extremely competitive, she didn’t care about the prize or whether there even was a prize in the first place, the satisfaction of winning was enough for her and of course, Dahyun loved good competition too.

 

At first they would just casually say it whenever they saw around her but slowly it started to get more serious, they’d even go together to the bathroom to make sure the other wouldn’t steal a point. They even memorized her classroom’s schedule and knew at what time she’d pass by their classroom. Everyone in their classroom thought they were crazy, it became an inside joke between the two of them since no one else knew what "fin" meant .It became a common question on games of truth or dare, but she and Eunbi would just make things up, they didn’t want anyone else to try to join their little game —plus, they were aware their game was pretty creepy—.

 


 

Dahyun was sure she was starting to become obsessed. One night, when she couldn’t sleep, she decided to look for Nayeon on the yearbook, that’s when she learned that her last name was Im and the first thought that came to her mind was “would your children be Im or Kim?”, she shook her head violently in an attempt to get that thought out of her head. It was so embarrassing to her she even started to fantasize about them together as a couple, whet they'd wear on their dates, what they'd eat, the words they'd say to each other. Of course, she never told anyone about this, she was too scared to freak people out about it. Plus, she knew it was hopeless. She felt confused, how could she feel that way about Nayeon? someone she had never spoken to before.

 

Dahyun felt paranoid, she wondered if Nayeon noticed how she’d stare at her during free period, did she even know her name? she was sure she at least knew her name. One time, they bumped against each other in the hallway and their arms grazed, that feeling occupied her head for the rest of the week. Dahyun began doodling their names, even making up a mashed-up name (dayeon) and changed her phone's wallpaper to a picture of SES Eugene who she thought resembled Nayeon a lot. Still, something about the whole thing felt so wrong, Dahyun couldn't shake off that feeling even though she knew she wasn't hurting anyone, it was just an innocent crush after all.

 


 

 

“I can’t believe i’m saying this, but I think you’re beating me” Eunbi sighed, staring down at the little notebook they kept to track down their points. Dahyun had yelled the code word a few seconds ago after seeing Nayeon’s friend group sitting in the table in front of theirs and Eunbi was frustrated at her constant loses lately.

 

Dahyun on the other hand, couldn’t concentrate on what Eunbi was telling her, she was far too busy staring at an unknowing Nayeon chatting with her friends. Nayeon’s school skirt definitely shouldn’t have been so long, today she was wearing a pink bow that made her lips look extra pink, Dahyun thought blue suited her best though.

 

“—Dahyun!” Eunbi waved her hand in front of her, “Earth to Dahyun, are you even paying attention to what I’m saying anymore?”

 

“I’m sorry,” Dahyun stood up, “I need to go to the bathroom, I’ll be back”

 

She ran to the bathroom in an attempt to clear her head. She bent over the sink and started to splash her face with cold water, soaking up her shirt in the process.

 

She needed to forget about her, she couldn’t keep thinking about someone she didn’t even stand a chance with, she had to stop now before it was too late. That’s right! She needed to tell Eunbi she wasn’t gonna play anymore, it was the right thing to do. This game was getting too intense and it wasn't right for them to invade Nayeon's privacy like that.

 

“Whoa” a voice suddenly cried. “I know it’s been hot lately, but having a solo pool party in here is a bit too much, isn’t it?”

 

Dahyun’s heart stopped, she jolted back and stood up straight, staring at the person's reflection through the mirror. She gulped hard unconsiously before releasing a small groan after realizing it had been a bit too loud.

 

“Dahyun, right?” the girl tilted her head to the right, she was looking straight at Dahyun who quickly dried her face off with a paper towel and nodded. “I remember you! you’re friends with Kim Eunseo, right?”

 

Dahyun nodded, she and Eunseo weren’t close but it’s not like she was gonna admit it to Nayeon when this was probably gonna be the only thing she would ever be able to use to start a conversation with her.

 

“I’m Nayeon, do you remember me?”

 

Dahyun nodded again.

 

“We m-met a f-few years back” she stuttered. “b-but I don’t remember seeing you around last year”

 

Oh god, she was stuttering!

 

“That’s because I studied abroad for two years” Nayeon explained with a laugh. “surprised you remember me though, it was hard for me to forget about you though. When a random kid walks up to you and tells you that you look like someone they hate, well, it’s pretty hard to forget, isn’t it?”

 

She smiled at Dahyun brightly who in return laughed nervously, feeling her face warm up. She knew she only had a few to escape before her face became a tomato and she'd lose the little dignity she had left.

 

“I-I g-gotta go, my friends are waiting”

 

“Sure, don’t mind me” Nayeon waved her hand in dismissal. “I’ll see you around, Dahyun, you’ve grown up a lot”

 

Dahyun ran off, cursing on her white skin for making her so feelings transparent. As she arrived at the table, she mumbled the words “FIN” to Eunbi who looked behind her and groaned. Dahyun proceeded to take a bite off of her sandwich, gulping hard again, she swore her heart had never beaten so fast.

 

Who was she kidding? She was in love.

 

 


 
How was it? was it terrible or just plain bad? lmao, I'll try harder next chapter, I just need to get the hang of it. Thanks for reading, I really appreciate it and I hope you guys will give my next few chapters a chance before deciding whether to keep reading or not.